The Official Macross Delta Anime Thread Mk I

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Seto Kaiba

Re: The Official Macross Delta Anime Thread Mk I

False Prophet wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:53 am Say, Kaiba, what was the Macross fandom like when you joined, or earlier?
When I was first getting into Macross, I wasn't really aware of a broader fandom except through the magazine coverage of the Macross II: Lovers Again OVA's pending release in the US and the accompanying coverage that those magazines gave to the franchise's history. It was just me and my friends from school getting together to play the crappy Palladium Books Macross II RPG for years until the fandom went online in the late 90's. My group didn't have any way to get our hands on Macross publications since there weren't any major anime cons near where I lived yet.

My friends who were in the fandom from the outset have indicated that Macross fandom was concentrated in California back in the day, so being on the opposite side of the continent meant I was pretty well locked out of the loop. Even now, the LA area has probably the single biggest concentration of Macross fans in the US and the only dedicated Macross convention (Super Dimension Convention) is held in Torrance, part of the Los Angeles metropolitan area.

Once the fandom had an online presence, you started to see things like UseNet groups and first gen BBS sites that were devoted to Macross fandom. There were also a few sites that cropped up that were dedicated to fans with access to Japan acting as resellers of Macross goods in the US and abroad like Valkyrie Exchange. The rise of Geocities and other freehosting services a few years later enabled the first wave of fansites to grow, with fans trying to create reference sites and RPG supplements and so on. A lot of it was crap, but it was the start of what we've got now. The first two proper Macross reference sites I remember finding via UseNet were the Nanashi's Information Group site and briscojr84's UN Spacy Quartermaster's Tactical Database. Both very rather poorly researched sites, but they were damned enthusiastic about presenting their material (even if Nanashi did have a reputation for refusing to reveal his sources). briscojr84 also provided hosting to the early Macross Mecha Manual site before I did, and most of his reference collection eventually ended up in my private collection when financial troubles forced him to get out of the Macross hobby.

False Prophet wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:53 am Also, are you aware of any hardcore Macross merchandise collector?
The first name that leaps to mind, among those megafans I know personally, would have to be Shawn Kluek... the co-founder of MacrossWorld. He's got a huge collection of Macross merchandise from the 80's and beyond in his library, including a ton of rare doujinshi and weird stuff most fans don't think about like pencil cases, stamp sets, pool floats, and so on. He did a panel about a bunch of rare Macross collectibles at last year's SDCon.
The Macross Mecha Manual
Yes, we're working on updates...
False Prophet

Is Shawn Kluek the Shawn in "Shawn and Graham’s Macross World"? Who is Graham then?

Also, I haven't got around to watch SDF Macross or listen to Mari Iijima's more modern stuffs, but how good are her English voice acting and songs?

Disregarding Robotech, was there ever a Macross model boom like the Gunpla boom back in the early 2000s? How expensive would you have to pay for an Yamato or Kaiyodo kit in America in the 1990s?

And, what is the whole deal about Zentrandi's 9000 SDC or 90 MDC in Palladium RPG? Why there are people being butthurt about it?
Seto Kaiba

False Prophet wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:55 am Is Shawn Kluek the Shawn in "Shawn and Graham’s Macross World"? Who is Graham then?
That's what I said, yes.

Shawn's the only one of the duo I've met in person. Graham, AFAIK, lives in Hong Kong so flying to somewhere like Los Angeles or Detroit would be a bit expensive.

False Prophet wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:55 am Also, I haven't got around to watch SDF Macross or listen to Mari Iijima's more modern stuffs, but how good are her English voice acting and songs?
Her voice acting in the ADV Films English dub of Super Dimension Fortress Macross was pretty meh... but the same could be said for the entire dub, which was cast, directed, and produced VERY poorly. So much so that some fans speculated that it was Harmony Gold's attempt to put western audiences off Macross entirely by having ADV do a deliberately bad job.

Her English songs are kind of hit-and-miss IMO. She's been prolific, and has a number of albums.

False Prophet wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:55 am Disregarding Robotech, was there ever a Macross model boom like the Gunpla boom back in the early 2000s? How expensive would you have to pay for an Yamato or Kaiyodo kit in America in the 1990s?
I don't know about a model-specific boom... there was an "Everything Macross" boom when the Macross Frontier series came out, thanks to its explosive popularity.

Macross was never as heavily into the snap-fit kits as Gundam was, they tended to be more in bed with the old-school glue-and-paint model kits from companies like Hasegawa.

False Prophet wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:55 am And, what is the whole deal about Zentrandi's 9000 SDC or 90 MDC in Palladium RPG? Why there are people being butthurt about it?
There are? Honestly, I haven't seen anyone complain about the Zentradi stats in ages... usually it's only people trying to figure out Palladium's weird Physical Strength stat.
The Macross Mecha Manual
False Prophet

Actually, the thing about Palladium RPG, I found it while surfing through some early-2000s forum threads. It seems that it was an inside joke between this group of posters.

Macross RPG uses the same Megaverse system like in other Palladium games, right? I watched on Youtube people playing RIFTS (there is only D&D where I live), and it was such a slog.
Seto Kaiba

False Prophet wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:10 pm Actually, the thing about Palladium RPG, I found it while surfing through some early-2000s forum threads. It seems that it was an inside joke between this group of posters.
Ah. When it comes to Zentradi and stats, the most common questions usually revolve around how to adjust stats if someone uses a miclone system to change size or a Zentradi's physical strength. (Basically their deadlift capacity.)

False Prophet wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:10 pm Macross RPG uses the same Megaverse system like in other Palladium games, right? I watched on Youtube people playing RIFTS (there is only D&D where I live), and it was such a slog.
Yeah, both Palladium's Robotech and Macross II games use their Megaversal game system.

Palladium's writers are incredibly lazy about stats, so there's not much consistency in how stats are assigned and weapon damages are generally completely arbitrary. Consequently, some mecha can become accidental game-breakers in other settings.

RIFTS is a bit of a mess. Its setting is very popular, but the game system is so clunky without a ton of house rules that it's earned the nickname "the most popular game nobody actually plays".
The Macross Mecha Manual
False Prophet

Say, Kaiba, are you familiar with Claude J. Pelletier of Protoculture Addicts? It seems like he also worked on tabletop RPG like Jovian Chronicles.
Seto Kaiba

False Prophet wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 11:53 am Say, Kaiba, are you familiar with Claude J. Pelletier of Protoculture Addicts? It seems like he also worked on tabletop RPG like Jovian Chronicles.
I'm only familiar with him from his work on Protoculture Addicts and its companion publications like Mecha Press.

I've never used the Mekton game system or Dream Pod 9's Heavy Gear system personally. Palladium Books's system was what my group was introduced to for Macross RPGs, so it's kind of what we've stuck with since we're most familiar with it.

Still grinding my teeth that the name I chose a year ago for a new project I'm working on got ninja'd by the bloody owners of the IP... great minds, and all that. :lol:

(There's a more topically appropriate variant name I could use for it, but it's so bloody obscure most people would probably think I made a typo or resorted to dog latin.)
The Macross Mecha Manual
False Prophet

Seto Kaiba wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 12:01 pm I'm only familiar with him from his work on Protoculture Addicts and its companion publications like Mecha Press.

I've never used the Mekton game system or Dream Pod 9's Heavy Gear system personally. Palladium Books's system was what my group was introduced to for Macross RPGs, so it's kind of what we've stuck with since we're most familiar with it.

Still grinding my teeth that the name I chose a year ago for a new project I'm working on got ninja'd by the bloody owners of the IP... great minds, and all that. :lol:

(There's a more topically appropriate variant name I could use for it, but it's so bloody obscure most people would probably think I made a typo or resorted to dog latin.)
So was it a fan project, then? Maybe you share some more?
Seto Kaiba

False Prophet wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 12:40 pm So was it a fan project, then? Maybe you share some more?
Oh, I'm sure I've mentioned it once or twice before.

I've partnered with a few friends who, like me, moonlight as translators with a goal of creating a new Macross reference website that'll document the franchise/metaseries with proper scholarly rigor and examine how the lore itself has changed over the last thirty-five years. We want all of our articles to have proper source citations that'll link directly to translations of the cited sources, in-depth analyses, and so on.

(We're going to be buying the last of the equipment we need for it tomorrow.)
The Macross Mecha Manual
False Prophet

Seto Kaiba wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 1:18 pm Oh, I'm sure I've mentioned it once or twice before.

I've partnered with a few friends who, like me, moonlight as translators with a goal of creating a new Macross reference website that'll document the franchise/metaseries with proper scholarly rigor and examine how the lore itself has changed over the last thirty-five years. We want all of our articles to have proper source citations that'll link directly to translations of the cited sources, in-depth analyses, and so on.

(We're going to be buying the last of the equipment we need for it tomorrow.)
Oh that! Last time you talked about it, you mentioned something about upgrading the platform from the current Macross Compendium.

Also, have anyone of you guys tried to reach out to the Japanese creators?
Seto Kaiba

False Prophet wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 8:09 am Also, have anyone of you guys tried to reach out to the Japanese creators?
On a few occasions... we're somewhere around 40% for actually getting responses, which is only to be expected due to their busy schedules and the fiddly nature of some of our questions.
The Macross Mecha Manual
False Prophet

Seto Kaiba wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 12:59 pm On a few occasions... we're somewhere around 40% for actually getting responses, which is only to be expected due to their busy schedules and the fiddly nature of some of our questions.
Also, aren't Japanese creators incredibly tight-lipped about their works? There was a con in my city a few years back when some mangaka popular in the early 2000s made an appearance, and the first thing the organizers made clear to the participants was no question, just greetings and ask for photographs.

Also, someone sent me this link to Claude J. Pelletier's blog. Maybe you could contact him?
Seto Kaiba

False Prophet wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 8:13 am Also, aren't Japanese creators incredibly tight-lipped about their works? There was a con in my city a few years back when some mangaka popular in the early 2000s made an appearance, and the first thing the organizers made clear to the participants was no question, just greetings and ask for photographs.
As with many things, it varies depending on the individual. I've seen some who were quite talkative given the option, and others who were extremely uncomfortable talking to fans. Kazutaka Miyatake is in the latter group, being a very private individual.

To a certain extent, I think there's a strong correlation between reluctance to talk to fans and the popularity of their work. The more popular their work, the more fans are likely to bother them and the more dumb questions about the work are likely to come up. Some of the indie and auteur creators, you'd need a brick to shut them up. Every now and then you get another Kotaru Uchikoshi who not only will talk all day if you let him, but offers unsolicited bits of nonsense insight into his work that are sometimes kind of uncomfortable to hear.... the same kinda stuff we're now getting from J.K. Rowling.

False Prophet wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 8:13 am Also, someone sent me this link to Claude J. Pelletier's blog. Maybe you could contact him?
I can't imagine what I would ask him about.
The Macross Mecha Manual
False Prophet

Say, there were fanzines for Macross/Robotech/Mospeada/etc., but what about online newsletters? Were there any ASCII newsletters specialized in Macross circulated in BBS back in the day?
Seto Kaiba

False Prophet wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 8:09 am Say, there were fanzines for Macross/Robotech/Mospeada/etc., but what about online newsletters? Were there any ASCII newsletters specialized in Macross circulated in BBS back in the day?
None that I remember... there was the short-lived Robotech Fan Club in '85 and '86, but that fell apart after Robotech died on the wire in '86 with the failure of Untold Story and the cancellation of Sentinels.

Most of the activity online in the early days was UseNet groups, and later BBS's.
The Macross Mecha Manual
False Prophet

Some images of the upcoming VF-31F/E models, as well as kits for other shows for anyone interested in:

https://hobby.dengeki.com/event/755636/

I can not fathom why anyone would buy the figures of a real Japanese school girl. Even Kow Yokoyama of Ma.K designed this type of model.
Seto Kaiba

False Prophet wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 9:11 am Some images of the upcoming VF-31F/E models, as well as kits for other shows for anyone interested in:

https://hobby.dengeki.com/event/755636/
I'm mildly curious how well these kits are actually selling, since Macross Delta doesn't seem to have a big following outside of fans of Walkure.

Honestly though, who picked those colors? A blind man?
The Macross Mecha Manual
False Prophet

Seto Kaiba wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 9:28 am I'm mildly curious how well these kits are actually selling, since Macross Delta doesn't seem to have a big following outside of fans of Walkure.

Honestly though, who picked those colors? A blind man?
I don't know. I do think the VF-31E color is kind of creepy and suits Chuck just fine (when he is moving on the screen he is fine, but I have a scare every time I have a good look at his eyes.)

Also, looking at pictures of the YF-30 kit, and I realized that the vertical tail stabilizers could move left and right. How does this affect the machine in Fighter mode?
Seto Kaiba

False Prophet wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 10:06 am I don't know. I do think the VF-31E color is kind of creepy and suits Chuck just fine (when he is moving on the screen he is fine, but I have a scare every time I have a good look at his eyes.)
I was talking more about that VF-31F kit in that eye-searing combination of electric yellow and pastel teal. It's like the goal was to make the viewer's eyes water.

False Prophet wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 10:06 am Also, looking at pictures of the YF-30 kit, and I realized that the vertical tail stabilizers could move left and right. How does this affect the machine in Fighter mode?
Well, realistically they could be adjusted to provide different levels pitch and yaw control in conjunction with the thrust vectoring nozzles.

All the YF-30 ever seems to actually use it for apart from transformation is that they fold flush to the wing surface to reduce drag in high speed mode (when using the Boost or SP Boost in Fighter mode in Macross 30).
The Macross Mecha Manual
False Prophet

Say, hypothetically, if they try to make a modern Destroid in a post-Delta setting (a Cheyenne III, maybe?), what new features would it needs to possess? Can it potentially take away some of the technologies and duties from the Zentrandi suits?

Also, your thought on these mecha musume Valkyries kits (please scroll down)?