What is this pistol-like gun in Zeon weapons set?

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
domtropen

What is this pistol-like gun in Zeon weapons set?

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-lMn-ZDYKYx0/ ... 4%2529.jpg

What is this pistol-like gun in this Zeon weapon set in the picture link? A beam gun?
Gelgoog Jager

Re: What is this pistol-like gun in Zeon weapons set?

No idea, but the backpack of the unit using it is something I don’t recall either. It seems to have some sort of canister on top and an odd antenna-like contraption on the side.

Wild guess, but maybe a flamethrower?

Edit: I want to point out that it seems to lack the kanji for beam, so that may exclude a beam weapon unless it’s something specialized with a particular name.
False Prophet

Gelgoog Jager wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:44 pm No idea, but the backpack of the unit using it is something I don’t recall either. It seems to have some sort of canister on top and an odd antenna-like contraption on the side.

Wild guess, but maybe a flamethrower?

Edit: I want to point out that it seems to lack the kanji for beam, so that may exclude a beam weapon unless it’s something specialized with a particular name.
Maybe, just maybe it is the prototype for the Zaku Flipper's Camera Gun?

Probably not.

And Zeon would not be as stupid as to use individual Zaku to spray G3 gas, right?
Last edited by False Prophet on Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
E08

For what it's worth, ピストル型パワーツール = Pistol-shaped power tool.
domtropen

update:https://hobby.dengeki.com/news/656280/

So all the weapons are not depend on the "coolant" tank on the back. What are these coolant tanks for though? Propellant for longe range combat? And no explanation on "Pistol-shaped power tool"... On the other hand look like they got Geara-doga style backpack vernier since OYW and interesting 2 & 3 bazooka combination set and antenna set for unknown use. Maybe anyone with info on msv-era weapons can chime in?
ShadowCell

E08 wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:30 am For what it's worth, ピストル型パワーツール = Pistol-shaped power tool.
in the Universal Century, Black & Decker moves into the arms industry
bilbros

So all the weapons are not depend on the "coolant" tank on the back. What are these coolant tanks for though? Propellant for longe range combat? And no explanation on "Pistol-shaped power tool"
Actually, both the backpack coolant tanks and the pistol-shaped tool are known since the publication of the classic book Gundam Century, where there is an illustration of an MS-06 during the preparatory works on the outside of a colony for Operation British.
Gelgoog Jager

bilbros wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 2:38 pm
So all the weapons are not depend on the "coolant" tank on the back. What are these coolant tanks for though? Propellant for longe range combat? And no explanation on "Pistol-shaped power tool"
Actually, both the backpack coolant tanks and the pistol-shaped tool are known since the publication of the classic book Gundam Century, where there is an illustration of an MS-06 during the preparatory works on the outside of a colony for Operation British.
It’s still a very obscure idea that hasn’t been seen again in a very long time. Don’t get me wrong: I really appreciate that they are really digging some old and relatively unknown ideas, but I do would like to have some more context or at least the source from where they got these designs.

I for one really like some of the results from their take on some MS, such as the option kit to turn the MS-07B Gouf into the obscure MS-07C-1, with fingers guns on both hands.

On a similar note, any idea where do these guys come from?:

http://www.bandaionline.com/robot-spiri ... on-figure/

I recall an old site with a CG gallery of many UC MS from 0079-0083 which among other units included a couple like these ones, down to the camouflage and weapons such as the Magella Top gun & leg missile launchers.

On the other hand, that huge container, which at first I assumed could be a handheld 12-tube missile launcher, wasn’t. The site I linked claims it to be a cannonball case, but I think it’s more likely a case for additional leg missiles given their size and similar proportions to the later. Still, it might predate the introduction of the more modern version of this handheld tank cannon, which now uses a magazine feeding system. The main cavebeat for such idea would be the implication that a Zaku would have to manually reload after each round.
Erisie

Gelgoog Jager wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:15 pmIt’s still a very obscure idea that hasn’t been seen again in a very long time. Don’t get me wrong: I really appreciate that they are really digging some old and relatively unknown ideas, but I do would like to have some more context or at least the source from where they got these designs.It’s still a very obscure idea that hasn’t been seen again in a very long time. Don’t get me wrong: I really appreciate that they are really digging some old and relatively unknown ideas, but I do would like to have some more context or at least the source from where they got these designs.
Considering that the A.N.I.M.E. line is all about making toys that look like the original lineart from back then, it's pretty obvious (at least to me) that the source is, indeed, Gundam Century. As Mark has pointed out, that book was a landmark in the creation of what we understand now to be the setting for the U.C.
domtropen wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:40 pm Geara-doga style backpack vernier since OYW
The other way around: Izubuchi cites Gundam Century as his inspiration for the Doga's backpack (Model Graphix 388, March 2017)
domtropen wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:40 pm and interesting 2 & 3 bazooka combination set and antenna set for unknown use
Likewise from Gundam Century. Note the Zaku with back-mounted bazookas in the distance.