The Official Gundam The Origin Anime Thread Mk I

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Deacon Blues

Re: The Official Gundam The Origin Anime Thread Mk I

For those wondering, the mysterious box-like ship that appeared in the first Gundam series as well as in the last episode of the Origin has been identified. It is known as the "Yap", a large transport ship.
bilbros

Interesting info.
It is known whether this is the name of the class or it refers to a specific unit?
Deacon Blues

It looks like it's just the name of it. They classify it as a large transport ship. I'm hoping there will be info released in the booklet that comes with the Blu-ray release. Both this and the shuttle that M'Quve went down to Earth on are mentioned in Katoki's latest mecha files.
tHeWasTeDYouTh

Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin VI "Rise of the Red Comet"
This was by far the best of the origin films. But it still changed the story quite a bit. The whole thing about giving the federation a chance to outright win the war at the battle of Loum (Tianem) was kind of stupid and unnecessary. They made all kinds of changes to Revil I guess in the name of foreshadowing the rotten nature of the federation government. But I thought the original story that Revil had personally witnessed while a prisoner that the enemy was running out of everything after their victory at Loum was better.

The original reason for the invasion of earth was a lack of resources for the war. That the Zabis were forced into taking the war to earth to get the resources they needed to fight the war. I liked what they did with M'Quve and I wish they would have done an entire OVA on the Earth campaign (without Char) up to the start of Mobile Suit Gundam.

They never really explained Zeon's motivations for the antarctic treaty. In older versions of the story, it was generally said that the early days of the war were incredibly bloody and were fought (in part) with nuclear weapons. It wold have made more sense if the Antarctic treaty were about Zeon agreeing to no more colony drops if the federation agreed not to use their advantage in nuclear weapons.

I think they went too far in making Degwin a man wanting peace. In the original series, it was Garma's death that changed his mind about the war.

My biggest disappointments with "origin" as a whole were:

1) The revisions to Zeon Zum Deikun. They turned him into a monster and a raving lunatic for no good reason. They changed things to make the entire cause of the spacenoids evil from the start (rather than twisted by the Zabi family).
2) The colony drop operation should have been a major battle in the series like they did with Loum.
3) I wish they had brought in more characters from other UC Gundam shows. The Zeons from 0083 and 0080 for example.
4) Cecilia Irene never shows up being Gihren's secretary.
YOU'RE MESHI
DAMNYOUYAMATOTAKERUNOMIKOTOOOOOO!
Deathzealot

Agree with everything here about the anime, I also liked that they added a bit of human touch to the Colony Drop with the introduction of that one couple. It made the Colony Drop even more monstrous in a way.

That said, one complaint I have is that in between the opening of Episode One and Episode Six there quite a difference between the two version of events. For one, Char not only had a bazooka but some sort of anti-ship rifle as well in Episode One. At the end of Episode Five, he launches with only the Bazooka and the attached missile launchers.

Also, I don't really know about having the Musai Class able to launch its mobile suits from the ship's primary hull instead of the hangar below the bridge from the original series. On one hand, it looks like they are able to be launched standing up which is different from the original way, still, on the other hand, the old Musai Hangar was quite interesting in design.

Another matter is that we are told that Dozle's fleet at Loum had a few Chivvay Class ships, as mentioned in the Episode One Profile on the Chivvay. However, in the animation of this episode, we don't see a single one during the entire battle. They only have the dozens of Musai Class ships and the Valkyrie which is modified from a regular Musai Class.

However, that said, I love what has happened during the last two episodes of the series and really want them to go ahead with a complete Origin series covering the rest of the story. Any news on that front?
bilbros

However, that said, I love what has happened during the last two episodes of the series and really want them to go ahead with a complete Origin series covering the rest of the story. Any news on that front?
Well, until a pair of months ago or so, the English version of the official The Origin website had a "Special Thanks" message on its homepage hinting quite clearly to the fact that — at least at that point — there was no intention to continuing (in the text below I've underlined the relevant parts on this subject):
Dear Gundam fans, please note that the anime project of "Mobile Suit Gundam the Origin" will conclude with Episode 6, "Rise of the Red Comet."
[...]
Please enjoy the last episode, "Rise of the Red Comet," which will be released theatrically on Saturday, May 5th.
Sure, a change of mind is always possible, but personally I would prefer they devote their resources for something else. Please don't misunderstand me: I appreciated The Origin in both its manga and anime form, but really I don't feel the need of an animated retelling of First Gundam...
abaoaqu

bilbros wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:36 pm
Well, until a pair of months ago or so, the English version of the official The Origin website had a "Special Thanks" message on its homepage hinting quite clearly to the fact that — at least at that point — there was no intention to continuing (in the text below I've underlined the relevant parts on this subject):
Dear Gundam fans, please note that the anime project of "Mobile Suit Gundam the Origin" will conclude with Episode 6, "Rise of the Red Comet."
[...]
Please enjoy the last episode, "Rise of the Red Comet," which will be released theatrically on Saturday, May 5th.
Sure, a change of mind is always possible, but personally I would prefer they devote their resources for something else. Please don't misunderstand me: I appreciated The Origin in both its manga and anime form, but really I don't feel the need of an animated retelling of First Gundam...
As I said before and was pooh-pooh'd about it: the original GUNDAM is too sacred to be updated with better animation and stuff. ASTRO BOY can be remade several times, YATTERMAN can get a remake, YAMATO can get an update, EVA can be reimagined, CYBORG 007 can get two remakes, TETSUJIN No. 28 can get reimagined AND remade...

But trying to make a version of the WHITE BASE saga with modern animation standards is heresy to the Japanese.

I recall the abortive Toonami run of the original 1979 anime seventeen years ago. I was a kid and was more used to the more modern shōnen anime like DRAGON BALL. It was only after Al Qaeda's day of glory that I began to appreciate storytelling and character motivation over flashiness: 0079 had three-dimensional players and a realistic, well-written plot.

The problem was I couldn't get anybody into it. One person I showed my VHS copy of the dub of MOVIE I to said that it was like SPEED RACER without the laughable dubbing: it looked old because it was old.

I loved 0079 and wanted to know more about the UC, but back then the only thing people in my country knew about when you said "Gundam" meant that you were talking about GUNDAM WING. As such, I had a lot of resentment toward WING back then, because I had trouble finding stuff on the UC online, outside of Gundam Official and Gundam.com, the latter of which being where I first learned about ZETA. I even recall this one anti-WING/pro-UC essay somewhere that just vanished, and took its repeated line "If it ain't broke don't fix it. If you try to fix it, it's gonna break" as my own. The writer harped on it for being a retread of 0079, ZETA, ZZ, and CCA... God help him when the Cosmic Era came along!

On a minor note, searches for "Amuro Ray" back then often yielded results for "Namie Amuro".

Eventually, a UC cult fanbase had been slowly growing as the 2000's wore on. Not as explosive as it could have been, but I still try to introduce people to the world of Newtypes from time to time.

As much as I would love the 0079 story retold for a new generation and create a UC gateway drug for the West, the hard fact is that it's an impossibility.
Сиг Зион!
Deathzealot

abaoaqu wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:24 pm As I said before and was pooh-pooh'd about it: the original GUNDAM is too sacred to be updated with better animation and stuff. ASTRO BOY can be remade several times, YATTERMAN can get a remake, YAMATO can get an update, EVA can be reimagined, CYBORG 007 can get two remakes, TETSUJIN No. 28 can get reimagined AND remade...

But trying to make a version of the WHITE BASE saga with modern animation standards is heresy to the Japanese.

I recall the abortive Toonami run of the original 1979 anime seventeen years ago. I was a kid and was more used to the more modern shōnen anime like DRAGON BALL. It was only after Al Qaeda's day of glory that I began to appreciate storytelling and character motivation over flashiness: 0079 had three-dimensional players and a realistic, well-written plot.

The problem was I couldn't get anybody into it. One person I showed my VHS copy of the dub of MOVIE I to said that it was like SPEED RACER without the laughable dubbing: it looked old because it was old.

I loved 0079 and wanted to know more about the UC, but back then the only thing people in my country knew about when you said "Gundam" meant that you were talking about GUNDAM WING. As such, I had a lot of resentment toward WING back then, because I had trouble finding stuff on the UC online, outside of Gundam Official and Gundam.com, the latter of which being where I first learned about ZETA. I even recall this one anti-WING/pro-UC essay somewhere that just vanished, and took its repeated line "If it ain't broke don't fix it. If you try to fix it, it's gonna break" as my own. The writer harped on it for being a retread of 0079, ZETA, ZZ, and CCA... God help him when the Cosmic Era came along!

On a minor note, searches for "Amuro Ray" back then often yielded results for "Namie Amuro".

Eventually, a UC cult fanbase had been slowly growing as the 2000's wore on. Not as explosive as it could have been, but I still try to introduce people to the world of Newtypes from time to time.

As much as I would love the 0079 story retold for a new generation and create a UC gateway drug for the West, the hard fact is that it's an impossibility.
I both disagree with this and kind-of agree with in a sense. The later, of course, the fear of a new remake of 0079 screwing up what I liked about the original series. The former is that I think like many of the older animes from the eighties and early nineties that I liked as a kid I would like to see it in a more modern form. That is partly why I enjoy Gundam SEED so much. Some anime series age quite well, in fact Gundam Zeta is one of them, but the original Mobile Suit Gundam doesn't sad to say.

That said, having The Origin anime continue on into regular old MSG story would be quite interesting for while Origin follows quite a similar story to MSG it does it a far better way in my opinion. It would kind be like the MSG Movies in a sense, just a different way of telling the same story. Just not like SEED which takes it to an extreme side of telling the same story. Then if we get the rest of Origin animated then we may get an opening for more of the OYW side-story mangas animated. Like I would love to see Blue Destiny animated.

Still. Some people want to keep the Origin as a prequel to the aging MSG series, and not to animate the rest of the Origin series. In response to this, I say is that there are too many differences in the story for it to be an official prequel to the old MSG series. For example, the Guncannon and Guntank being older examples of a Federation Mobile Suit. Other changes to the story also make this idea mute.

On the other hand. I fear that somehow bringing the rest of Origin to the world of anime will kind of spoil the original MSG in a way. I would love to see it becoming a reality, but the Gundam movies already changed the story slightly and we don't really need yet another retelling of the original story. Honestly. I think the best choice to appease both sides of this argument is too to what they did with the Zeta Movies, touch up the old animation and add a few extra newly animated scenes. Maybe even redoing the original Gundam movies this way.

Just a couple of my thoughts on this.
BrentD15

I know it's been almost a year since this thread was last active, so I'll make this brief.

The Origin has began its run on Toonami as of last night, and I'll give you my thoughts on the first episode, not a summary of what happened.

I don't like it.

Zeon Deikun comes across as a crazed idealogue that is obsessed with his political work, and seems to clearly worked himself to death with a heart attack, and the Zabi family coming across as more opportunistic with just letting the old coot work himself so hard, he keels over.

Sasro/Cicero Zabi pretty much didn't need to be included in this series at all. In and out without making it halfway into the first episode.

Jimba Ral comes across as more of a conspiracy theorist with a vendetta against the Zabis than more of the beloved caretaker Ramba Ral alluded to with his final encounter with Sayla.

Stetch working as a bartender. 'Nuff said.

Kycillia, Degwin, and Gihren... I don't know yet.

Dozle and Garma I like so far, both coming across as loveable dorks in their own ways.

But the biggest shame of all? I don't like their choice of voice actors for Gihren and Dozle. I prefer their original VAs more, but I guess they might've declined or were passed over for others?

And I do have to agree with Deathzealot over how this series gets received over the original. People would be less likely to watch the original because late 70's animation wasn't exactly top-notch. I just don't see how/why Sunrise won't see big money in re-animating the original series like they attempted with some of the late 90's/early 2000's video games did. I bet they would get a lot of mileage out of it, and a lot of support for it.

Overall, I don't have high hopes for this series.
"To you who will watch, I offer a heart filled with gratitude." -Yoshiyuki Tomino, Gundam Reconguista in G, Episode 25
BrentD15

So, episode 2.

I don't like the inclusion of Guntanks this early in the UC timeline, because it shows the Earth Federation had the edge in mobile suit development before Zeon ever made their first prototypes.

So far, that's my only complaint. Other than that, Gihren plays a board game, Casval sulks while Artesia is being told about the moon, and the kids escape in the cargo ship.

Also, seeing the early Musai-class as a form of cargo ship. Interesting...
"To you who will watch, I offer a heart filled with gratitude." -Yoshiyuki Tomino, Gundam Reconguista in G, Episode 25
yazi88

Its a alternate take on UC Gundam, hence the earlier development of mobile suits from the Federation side.

The manga confirmed that in volume 1, that the Guntank and Guncannon were developed a lot earlier on compared to the MSG anime. And that these units were far weaker too.
Dark Duel

Well, the Origin’s Guntank is around since UC 0065 based on its model number.
The GunCannon is reimagined as a failed predecessor of sorts to the Gundam, being the EFF’s first humanoid mobile weapon - unlike the original series, in which IIRC all three machines were developed together as part of Project V.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
BrentD15

yazi88 wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:10 am Its a alternate take on UC Gundam, hence the earlier development of mobile suits from the Federation side.

The manga confirmed that in volume 1, that the Guntank and Guncannon were developed a lot earlier on compared to the MSG anime. And that these units were far weaker too.
Dark Duel wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:36 am Well, the Origin’s Guntank is around since UC 0065 based on its model number.
The GunCannon is reimagined as a failed predecessor of sorts to the Gundam, being the EFF’s first humanoid mobile weapon - unlike the original series, in which IIRC all three machines were developed together as part of Project V.
That's why I always refer to The Origin as an alternative timeline.
Seto Kaiba

yazi88 wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:10 am Its a alternate take on UC Gundam, hence the earlier development of mobile suits from the Federation side.
It's a more sensible take on the Federation's mobile suit program, IMO...

The way Origin has it, the Federation at least had a grounding in building mobile weapons before attempting to go all-in on a true Mobile Suit instead of producing a trio of overpowered super-prototypes out of freaking nowhere.

yazi88 wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:10 am The manga confirmed that in volume 1, that the Guntank and Guncannon were developed a lot earlier on compared to the MSG anime. And that these units were far weaker too.
To be fair, they aren't actually the same models of Guntank and Guncannon that were famously used by White Base. They're older, more primitive models.
The Macross Mecha Manual
Yes, we're working on updates...
branman88

One good thing about turning the OVAs into a TV series for me at least is the New Beyond the Time OP:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCcZe1R095k

But it does make me wish they would of went through with doing all of Origin with this being the OP for that.
I AM THE CHOSEN CHILD OF GETTER!
BrentD15

Episode three!

Casval and Arte-er, I mean Edward and Sayla Mass have been living on Earth for a few years. Jimba Ral continues the sanity slippage from previous episodes, and both seem to be doing okay. Edward is sulking in his lectures, and Sayla attends to the locals as a nurse.

But then, their home is attacked by gunmen and... a knight in plate armor? Seriously? :roll:
Jimba dies in the attack from said knight, while their other caretaker survives falling from leaning against a window too hard.

Back on Munzo, the Zabis are achieving political power and their uniforms, while Ramba Ral gets into fights in bars over hecklin' Hamon Crowley (Bonus points for Stetch being the wingman with the handwraps). Dozle then presents to Ramba Ral the first Mobile Worker, a bipedal machine! Also, cameos from the future Black Tri Stars (Mash, sadly, is only mentioned).

We also get appearances from Mirai and a rather notable boy who couldn't wait to open his new Haro toy. :mrgreen:

Overall, this episode kinda won me over, except for the knight seemed out of place, and the bar fight was a little over-the-top for my tastes.
Deathzealot

I believe that knight is also in the Manga as well. Though yeah. I really don't know why it was in there... Lastly. Just wait till you get to the good stuff (i.e the Battle of Loum). One of my favorite scenes is during that arc.
Seto Kaiba

BrentD15 wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:53 pm But then, their home is attacked by gunmen and... a knight in plate armor? Seriously? :roll:
Well, if you're trying to sneakily assassinate someone in a house that has that kind of thing just standing around as an incredibly dated decoration... why not?

(I mean, it says a lot that that was the assassination attempt that came the closest to actually succeeding.)
The Macross Mecha Manual
Yes, we're working on updates...
BrentD15

Oh yeah, I also forgot to mention Jimba Ral selling out to everyone's favorite mega-corp, Anaheim Electronics, for his revenge plan.
Deathzealot

Wait, I don't remember that? When in the world did he do that? And why?