The Official Macross Delta Anime Thread Mk I

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Seto Kaiba

Re: The Official Macross Delta Anime Thread Mk I

False Prophet wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:49 am Say, I am still not completely understand the whole song energy think. Could a string of tuneless babbles still have song energy, or must it always be a song?
In theory, I suppose it could work... though it would depend on the frame of mind of the person doing that tuneless babbling.

False Prophet wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:49 am Is there any difference to human songs before and after any Zentrandi understood human language?

Not that I'm aware of, no... though it's worth noting the Zentradi weren't really exposed to things like songs until shortly before a translation system had been implemented that could translate Zentradi to English and back in realtime. (It's possible a similar system was present in the Quel Quallie scout pod the "Blue Wind" scout team used for SIGINT operations shadowing the SDF-1 Macross to enable them to understand the radio communications they were monitoring.)

False Prophet wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:49 am How much Chiba could a Sheri's song or a Walkure song produce?
Not sure. The Chiba unit isn't mentioned after Macross 7, possibly once song energy was codified as a type of fold wave it began using the same units of measure as other fold wave applications.

False Prophet wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:49 am And should that number being an indication of the artistic talent of the musician, or is it purely born with?
By in large, it seems to be something you're born with... though a person's emotional state can affect their ability to generate song energy.
The Macross Mecha Manual
Yes, we're working on updates...
False Prophet

Reading the DecultureShock blog, I saw that in Japan, next to the big concerts, there are the Macross fan club meetings and the occasional events like Mylene Party. Is this normal with other shows? And if you see it, in Akihabara small-time idol groups usually held micro-concerts in a cafe or something like that. Is Macross trying to do something similar?
Seto Kaiba

False Prophet wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:24 am Reading the DecultureShock blog, I saw that in Japan, next to the big concerts, there are the Macross fan club meetings and the occasional events like Mylene Party. Is this normal with other shows?
My direct experience with them is rather limited, but it's not uncommon for the more popular/iconic/visible properties to do things like theme cafes/restaurants or fanclub gatherings if there's a particular special event being commemorated or a major announcement to make.

Several of Macross's creators actually belonged to a Gundam fanclub together when they first got started drafting the series. The SDF-1 bridge radio callsign is a nod to their fanzine's title: Gunsight.

False Prophet wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:24 am And if you see it, in Akihabara small-time idol groups usually held micro-concerts in a cafe or something like that. Is Macross trying to do something similar?
I'm not sure if that's specifically what they're tilting at, but the end result is similar I guess.

I think it's more that they've realized that they can make Macross an all the time thing instead of just a "once every five years" thing, and are trying to keep momentum going between shows since they haven't got new shows coming out every year the way Gundam does.
The Macross Mecha Manual
Arbiter GUNDAM

After its 5 week run in theaters (a week longer than Gundam Origin or Yamato 2202, so I'm told) Macross Delta: Passionate Walkure is coming to BD... four months from now, on August 28 (rassa, frassa, grumble), so preorder while you can. ;)

http://sp.macross.jp/news/?id=829%E2%80%AC
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
pirx

Heh, seems even Chris is not that enthused about Delta, seeing how the series review is incomplete.
Seto Kaiba

pirx wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 4:06 am Heh, seems even Chris is not that enthused about Delta, seeing how the series review is incomplete.
Stopped right at episode 13 too... the last good episode before watching the series went from being a delight to feeling distinctly like a chore. I can certainly sympathize. Despite being a die-hard Macross fan, the second half of the series became such a slog that on more than one occasion I had to force myself to watch.

It would've been a much better show if they'd spent a little less time on promoting Walkure and a little more on actually telling a story. Between the multiple exposition dump episodes and a flashback episode that had zero relevance to the actual story, there was a lot of wasted screentime that could've been put to better use.
The Macross Mecha Manual
pirx

Let's hope next series fare a lot better. As i said before - i was annoyed by Bilra implying things and then not following with explanation, like exact fate of Minmay and Megaroad-01. Protoculture etc.
Seto Kaiba

pirx wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 1:01 pm Let's hope next series fare a lot better. As i said before - i was annoyed by Bilra implying things and then not following with explanation, like exact fate of Minmay and Megaroad-01. Protoculture etc.
Yeah, I'm hoping for a more balanced series... since they won't be pushing everything onto the music to promote the real idol group Walkure they should be able to actually focus on telling a story.

To be fair, the Minmay thing in Delta was mostly a fansub group jerking people around by assuming Lady M was Minmay and including a note as if it were fact in their fansub of the series. Lady M's identity was never determined by anyone on the series staff, it's an open question they may or may not resolve down the road... but officially, she has no established identity because she's just a one-woman omniscient council of vagueness. They do need to stop trying to dangle the Megaroad-01 in front of the older fans when everyone knows they won't actually deliver... even Mari Iijima has publicly stated she knows Kawamori doesn't want to bring Minmay back (at last year's Super Dimension Con). I was fine with Richard Bilra having trying to find Megaroad-01 as a motivation for all of his interest in pursuing fold quartz and helping with Grace's implant network, since Macross R at least went back to it and established he was a First Space War veteran who was as deeply enamored of her as the other Zentradi who defected were. There was no bloody reason for Berger Stone to try to namedrop the Megaroad-01, especially since the only explanation for why he'd do it is that he knows the Ragna branch of Xaos is so far out of the loop they don't even know who they work for.
The Macross Mecha Manual
pirx

Thanks for reminding me about Lady M - that was annoying too. Sorry i messed up names - i did meant Berger not Bilra from Macross Frontier. Meaning that shady guy from Delta who liked to sell tech left and right and who helped Heinz to revive Sigur Valens.
Maybe it's just me but i absolutely hate when some info is teased and never revealed ... like certain TV show beginning with X (cough, cough)
At first i thought it was Mikumo, but then it became clear it is not her.
Maybe M=Misa Hayase/Ichiyo? :mrgreen:
Because well... Minmay was just an idol/singer. Misa certainly was more influential at the time Megaroad-01 launched. She was made a captain of the ship and most likely an expedition commander as well.
P.S. I realized i missed two more "Ms" - Myung and Mao Nome. First one is unlikely, she's a singer too while other one could still be alive and active. Although she should be in her 80ies i think.
She is mentioned in Frontier and Sheryl is her granddaughter.
Dunno how acurate Macross wiki is but it has some very interesting information about her post Macross Zero:
http://macross.wikia.com/wiki/Mao_Nome
Seto Kaiba

pirx wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 5:57 am Thanks for reminding me about Lady M - that was annoying too. Sorry i messed up names - i meant Berger not Bilra from Macross Frontier. Meaning that shady guy from Delta who liked to sell tech left and right and who helped Heinz to revive Sigur Valens.
Berger Stone was a frustrating character to say the least... in large measure because he was trying to play both sides against the middle, and wasn't doing a very good job of it. I get the feeling they were going for something similar to Anaheim Electronics' amoral war profiteering by selling to Zeon and the Federation.

pirx wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 5:57 am At first i thought it was Mikumo, but then it became clear it is not her.
Maybe M=Misa Hayase/Ichiyo? :mrgreen:
Because well... Minmay was just an idol/singer. Misa certainly was more influential at the time Megaroad-01 launched. She was made a captain of the ship and most likely an expedition commander as well.
P.S. I realized i missed two more "Ms" - Myung and Mao Nome. First one is unlikely, she's a singer too while other one could still be alive and active. Although she should be in her 80ies i think.
Officially, Lady M's identity was never determined by the Macross Delta production staff. They didn't rule out the possibility that they might set an identity for her later, but I doubt they'll ever bother coming up with a real identity for her.

No existing character meets the established traits of Lady M.

Most "candidate" characters simply aren't old enough to be Lady M. One of her few identified traits is that Lady M founded Χάος as an interstellar communications firm shortly after the First Space War's conclusion, and has presided over its operations ever since. She would have to have been an adult during the war, so that rules out almost every character from the sequels since most of them weren't even born yet. Of the few that aren't too young to be candidates, none of them are wealthy or have unknown fates:
  • Misa Ichijo (nee Hayase) has been MIA since 2016, and thus can't be Lady M.
  • Lynn Minmay has been MIA since 2016, and thus can't be Lady M.
  • Shammy Milliome is a housewife c.2045, living on Luna with her husband and their eleven children.
  • Kim Kabirov was a career soldier, c.2045 she was stationed on Eden and c.2059 was commander of the Earth Defense Fleet. She never left the military to enter the private sector.
  • Vanessa Laird did leave the military, but she and her husband own a nightclub in Macross City, not a megacorporation.
  • Mao Nome is missing, presumed dead since 2048. She was a career academic, a leading authority in the field of xenobiology. She wouldn't have needed the sponsorship of the Critical Path corporation to finance the 117th Research Fleet's expedition into Vajra space if she were Lady M.

pirx wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 5:57 am Dunno how acurate Macross wiki is but it has some very interesting information about her post Macross Zero:
http://macross.wikia.com/wiki/Mao_Nome
The Macross Wikia's relationship with accuracy is a distant one at the best of times... one of several major reasons that most of the Macross fandom refuses to reference the site at all.

THAT, however, is one hundred percent organic bovine fertilizer. Some fanboy's jerking off and hoping his fan theory will be mistaken as fact.
The Macross Mecha Manual
pirx

I see. Did not knew Macross wiki is so bad. Thanks for letting me know!
wikis are supposed to be a collection of facts, not the fanboy fantasies.
In regard of Lady M i had hope her identity will be revealed in Delta movie but alas
Yeah Misa is MIA, presumed dead but that damn Berger teasing...
I am not saying everything should be revelead but when character goes "hey i know a very big secret, ain't telling ya", this is not a very good story writing.
Seto Kaiba

pirx wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 12:17 pm I see. Did not knew Macross wiki is so bad. Thanks for letting me know!
It used to be better, but it's really gone downhill and started reporting fan theories as fact in recent years.

If I wasn't overcommitted to projects already, I'd probably try to take that mess in hand... but that'd be a huge task.

pirx wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 12:17 pm wikis are supposed to be a collection of facts, not the fanboy fantasies.
Yup... but not every fandom wiki is operated on sourcing requirements as stringent as real Wikipedia, Star Trek's Memory Alpha, Star Wars's Wookieepedia, or Macross's Macross Compendium. Many are not policed as rigorously as those sites, so fan editors can abuse them at times.

It can result in particularly unhelpful articles if the series has had a lot of retcons, or an unpopular retcon, since some contributors will inevitably be unwilling to acknowledge the retcon(s). Robotech's Wikia sites are basically unusable for that exact reason. Every single one of them is run by someone pushing an obsolete, discredited fan theory.

Hell, even Wikipedia isn't immune to it. The Japanese wikipedia entries for Super Dimension Cavalry Southern Cross and Genesis Climber MOSPEADA have both been heavily vandalized by a Japanese-American Robotech fan who is renowned for her crackpot fan theories, so they contain very little in terms of accurate information (and are a perfect example of why teachers tell students not to depend on Wikipedia for research).

pirx wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 12:17 pm In regard of Lady M i had hope her identity will be revealed in Delta movie but alas
I wasn't about to hold my breath for that one. If she wasn't important enough to appear in the flesh in the TV series, there was no way she was going to appear in the compressed story of the movie.

pirx wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 12:17 pm Yeah Misa is MIA, presumed dead but that damn Berger teasing...
I am not saying everything should be revelead but when character goes "hey i know a very big secret, ain't telling ya", this is not a very good story writing.
It was bad form, yeah... and the fact that Berger Stone was able to jerk the protagonists around with vague rumors about the person who owns the company they work for makes the protagonists look like a bunch of first-rate idiots. How d'you become director of a regional branch of a major corporation and not know the name of the CEO?
The Macross Mecha Manual
Arbiter GUNDAM

pirx wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 4:06 am Heh, seems even Chris is not that enthused about Delta, seeing how the series review is incomplete.
He also hasn't written reviews for the Frontier movies which the last one of those came out 6 years ago now. And he has reviewed it on Gundamn!@MAHQ
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
pirx

Lets just assume that M comes from the word "Mysterious". It is ridiculous enough to be true. Maybe she's like Tobi/Obito...
Seto Kaiba

pirx wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 9:16 am Lets just assume that M comes from the word "Mysterious". It is ridiculous enough to be true. Maybe she's like Tobi/Obito...
My pet theory is that Lady M will turn out to be the original Mikumo Guynemer, the gene-donor who provided the baseline human DNA that was reengineered with Protoculture sequences from the ruins on Windermere IV to make Walkure's Mikumo Guynemer.

That said, I'd be prepared to accept that the "M" stands for "Moron"... every time she pokes her oar in, like having Mikumo made, stalling the evacuation on Ragna, etc., she makes things a million times worse.
The Macross Mecha Manual
pirx

We can always hope for the next series. I hope that after summer new information will appear.
Seto Kaiba

pirx wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 10:33 am We can always hope for the next series. I hope that after summer new information will appear.
Yup... but so far, no news of the new series besides the fact that the project exists and is planned to debut this year.

Of course, "debut this year" typically means "teaser version of ep1 in the last two weeks of December" where Macross is concerned.

They've been surprisingly quiet about it, all things considered. I wonder how much of that is the production's schedule and how much is that they're still caught up in promoting Walkure?
The Macross Mecha Manual
False Prophet

Is the Macross Wikia really that bad? Damn. I like FortressMaximus, the admin (and probably the only editor) there. He did help me a lot with the technicals of few other wikias. And, for a guys who updated almost regularly for years, it got to take some dedication.

Also, who is this Chris you guys are talking about?
Seto Kaiba

False Prophet wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 12:56 pm Is the Macross Wikia really that bad?
It has a lot of problems, yeah.

Some of it can be attributed to understandable misconceptions that still haven't been completely purged from even the Macross Compendium Wiki like the incorrect interpretation of UN as "United Nations". Quite a bit of its content contains wild guesses, assumptions, and speculation presented as fact, rather a lot of which has no excuse. There's also truly wild divergences like that Mao Nome article, which is almost 90% someone's fanfic, or the VF-19's article, which bizarrely seems to assume Basara's VF-19 Kai was the base model VF-19. Much of the accurate info appears to be copied almost whole-cloth from the Macross Compendium or Macross Mecha Manual and at most minimally-reworded.

False Prophet wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 12:56 pm Damn. I like FortressMaximus, the admin (and probably the only editor) there. He did help me a lot with the technicals of few other wikias. And, for a guys who updated almost regularly for years, it got to take some dedication.
FWIW, I love the site's background image.

That said, it is in dire, desperate need of proper moderation, fact-checking, and article cleanup.
The Macross Mecha Manual
False Prophet

Anyone here can detail me on why did Mospeada specifically was chosen for Robotech? I understand that there were some problem with Orguss' licenses, but did Studio Nue just picked Mospeada, another of their properties, out of the blue. Was there any serious consideration to the plotline of Robotech (or, to be more specifically, was the script for Robotech written after all three original series had been licensed; or did they wrote the 1st generation, gott Orguss license, wrote the 2nd generation, got Mospeada license, and wrote the 3rd generation.)

Also, why was Satelight formed? Who were the founder? And why did Kawamori leave Nue for Satelight?