The Official Gundam Build Divers Anime Thread Mk I

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Kuruni

Re: The Official Gundam Build Divers Anime Thread Mk I

Amion wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:31 pm I think this episode was great. But I have a question now: how in the world do all the players keep from getting physically weak or obese in real life? It can't be the healthiest of hobbies, all that time stuck in the simulator not moving, getting your brain slow-roasted by radiation, and then leaving to go sit in a chair with Gunpla models for goodness knows how long, and then school plus food. How do people above school-age with any kind of life actually work? How do they function?
If they want to be optimism and still somewhat realistic, the Tigerwolf's RL counterpart should at least keep himself in good shape simply because you need a healthy body to stay online (just like how Riku cannot drop his study). And it also help to some degree in GBN (as Tigerwolf noted after seeing the inexperience Momoka handle Kapool pretty well).

If they just want a realistic cruel laugh however, I won't mind if they recycle the gag from Gintama that the legendary player M is none other than the jobless Madao.

That being said, I think they will just ignore it and ignore RL issue altogether.

(Personally, I still wish we'll get something that would fit nicely in Nijino Uiro's G:DCD...or make it a full circle with the Neo Armstrong Cyclone Jet Armstrong Gengai Cannon)
My girlfriend was a loli.
Ryujin

Kuruni wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:12 am
That being said, I think they will just ignore it and ignore RL issue altogether.
Yes. It's pretty much a non-issue, considering how there's no indication within the show of how long the players actually spend their time on GBN, and how people IN REAL LIFE do just about the same thing anyways, sitting in a chair for hours on end playing MMO games, checking their social media, watching livestreams, bingeing on NetFlix & whatnot. Even before the PC & the internet, couch potatoes & cable tv were already a thing, and so was killing your liver getting dead drunk at a bar.

Besides, there's no catheters, meaning you still have to go offline to pee in a PET bottle once in a while.

Frankly, it's meaningless to bring this up in the first place, in a kid's show no less.
Amion

Ryujin wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:25 pm
Kuruni wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:12 am
Yes. It's pretty much a non-issue, considering how there's no indication within the show of how long the players actually spend their time on GBN, and how people IN REAL LIFE do just about the same thing anyways, sitting in a chair for hours on end playing MMO games, checking their social media, watching livestreams, bingeing on NetFlix & whatnot. Even before the PC & the internet, couch potatoes & cable tv were already a thing, and so was killing your liver getting dead drunk at a bar.

Besides, there's no catheters, meaning you still have to go offline to pee in a PET bottle once in a while.

Frankly, it's meaningless to bring this up in the first place, in a kid's show no less.
Now, now, don't start with that red text with me! Clearly you don't see someone having a good time with humor when you see one.
They don't know the power of a balanced vision.
Ryujin

Amion wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:54 pm Now, now, don't start with that red text with me! Clearly you don't see someone having a good time with humor when you see one.
NO, NO HUMOR ALLOWED. THIS IS GUNDAM, THE GROUNDBREAKING SUPER RELEVANT SRS BZNZ SOCIOPOLITICAL WAR COMMENTARY MANIME FRANCHISE INTENDED FOR MATURE AUDIENCES AND DIRECTED BY HIS HOLINESS THE CRITICALLY ACCLAIMED TOMINO, NOT SOME WEEKLY TOYMERCIAL INTENDED TO PUSH PLASTIC CRACK TO THE GULLIBLE MASSES. REEEEEEE, NO YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND.

On another note, I hope that it takes Rikku & friends some time to earn the points for C-rank for that sense of gradual skill progression (I wouldn't mind if they earn c-rank at the end of the 1st cour to serve as the season climax). I personally like how they're basically taking a tour of GBN world's various locales & features instead of actively seeking out conflict. Along with the "bright" look of the overall production design, it gives a comfy atmosphere to the show. It contrasts sharply with the hooded guy stalking kids by his lonesome in a dimly-lit room, which in retrospect ends up making him look more silly than sinister.
Kuruni

New episode.

The whole imposter plot is so predictable, I don't even bother to cover it with spoiler tag.

The transformation and combination is so Obari. Geez, Xamdrag Gundam is pretty cool, but I don't think we will ever see it again.
Ryujin

This episode was budget economy-class production-wise, but hey, tied-up Ayame in time for Comiket.

That said, the episode touches more on the building aspect, demonstrating how minuscule errors in assembling a 1/144 get magnified a lot when scaled up to 1/1, adversely affecting the gunpla's in-game performance. Still, a Xamdrag capable of transforming into a Legilis is pretty impressive in itself, even though it appeared to be a Mass Diver gimmick instead of an actual build.

Also Colasour doing martial arts exercises & Waltfeld winning the kebab wars.
Wingnut

Ryujin wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 9:01 pm This episode was budget economy-class production-wise, but hey, tied-up Ayame in time for Comiket.

That said, the episode touches more on the building aspect, demonstrating how minuscule errors in assembling a 1/144 get magnified a lot when scaled up to 1/1, adversely affecting the gunpla's in-game performance.

Also Colasour doing martial arts exercises & Waltfeld winning the kebab wars.
Oh dear. Poor girl. The funk writes itself with that one.

The effects of the building of the 1/144 scale really made me appreciate the work that say Sei and Tetsuya put into building their own customs.

I had to look hard to find him this week, but there he was in the background doing those exercises. I expected him to be in the desert town showing off an Enact or something.
Two words: Yogurt. Sauce.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
Ryujin

Welp, so much for the 'Nanami is secretly an expert Gunpla modeler' hypothesis with this episode. Didn't see that turn of events coming.

And this week, Patrick's laying the moves on taisaaaa!! [s]Also a minor continuity slip-up with how no one recognized Shahryar in the previous episode, yet here he's on the cover of the June issue of WORLD HOBBY along with Tigerwolf.[/s]

Edit: Looks like that issue of WORLD HOBBY was actually the latest one, announcing Shahryar's first public appearance.
Last edited by Ryujin on Tue May 08, 2018 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kuruni

Breather episode, and pretty good one.

I sympathy with Koichi. In fact, I think all of us who still come and post here understand his feeling all too well.

With GPD, I think it's all but certain that this is alternate setting to GBF.

BTW, it's note that Koichi's old friend Tsukasa is likely to be the same with that hoodie who trying to destroy GBN world.

...Tsuka?

Onore Dikeido!
Arbiter GUNDAM

Ryujin wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 7:35 am Also a minor continuity slip-up with how no one recognized Shahryar in the previous episode, yet here he's on the cover of the June issue of HOBBY WORLD along with Tigerwolf.
That's not just a minor continuity flub, it's so monumentally S T U P I D that I am declaring episode 5 of Build Divers to be one of the worst episodes of Gundam next to Moon Moon, Shinn's rabid breakdown and the last episode of AGE!! In our world of total social media and internet saturation, the fact that no recognizes the scam, even with Sharyar's face in magazines, is... just... STUPID!!!

My gripes about this series have been percolating for a month and a half now so it's finally time to write it all down, starting with the characters

RIKU: Ok, yes, he's not as bad as dime-a-dozen-generic-as-hell-been-there-done-that-bought-that-t-shirt-red-ranger-meathead-martial-artist shonen protagonist Sekai...... but he's not much better. Seriously, if this show was about Kyoya and the other characters, it would be so much more interesting. The Prologue to Divers really did get me interested but the actual show has been underwhelming. Also, what really is Riku's goal? He's said he wants to "get stronger" and "discover his own style" which are just vague enough as to be annoying. Back in BF and BFT we were neck deep in qualifiers and the U19 tournament by this point and nothing has really happened in BD so far.

YUKIO: The sidekick, Luigi to Riku's Mario. His schtick of knowing tons about Gundam and Gunpla is not very interesting because we had that schtick already with Sei.

SARAH: The most generic moeblob.... possibly ever. I absolutely guarantee that she's some kind of AI that Mysterious Hoodie interfered with. Absolutely.

MOMOKA: Also generic moeblob at this point, the one thing that could make her interesting, her skill at futbol, hasn't been seen since episode 1. Her skill will probably come into play with her Momokapool, which very likely will involve large doses of plot convenience.

AYAME: Really? You made a purple-haired kunoichi named Ayame? If you replaced just one letter, then Banrise would start owing money to Koei-Tecmo. And just you watch, Ayame will join the side of the angels because Riku and Yukio saved her from a trap that even she thought was stupid. I might be wrong about this, since we see that she's going to show up in episode 7 but... we'll see.

NANASE: Generic boring, busty, bubbly onee-san. Nothing more so far.

HELLFIRE OGRE: Generic rival antagonist obsessed with strength. Probably won't be anything more than that

MAGEE, TIGERCUB, FOX-BOY, KYOYA, ROMMEL, GLORFINDEL: Again, if the show was about these guys, it would be much more interesting.

MYSTERIOUS HOODIE: Possibly Glorfindel's old friend? The voices did sound a bit similar... I'm still convinced that he's making these Break Decals because he's somehow gotten ahold of Sarah's "power" somehow. And given his comment in episode 5, I'm almost sure he's going to turn out to be some Final Fantasy-style I'm-going-to-destroy-the-world-because-life-is-pain-or-some-other-crap lead villain.

That brings in another point, why are they called Mass Divers? It's shown as Break Decal onscreen, so shouldn't they be called Break Divers? By the way, the over-arching villain plot of your story set in a VRMMORPG shouldn't be solvable by the admins, game masters and the IT Department going in and banning anyone who uses the Break Decals. Which leads me to...

You can't, in the same episode, point out that doing some things in a VRMMO are nonsensical, like physical training or flinching when someone throws a punch at you....... and then do nonsensical things like punching a crater in the ground, Dragon Ball Z-style. How did Tigercub do that? I said, how did he do that? Does he have a skill for that? Is his STR and SPR maxed out? What's the deal? You know, I can't go into GTA5 Online and punch a crater in the ground because the game's not programmed like that! Also, you can't tell someone to not be afraid of pain in GBN and THEN point out that if you die, the game mechanism will cause you pain. Incidentally, such a game system would never, EVER be able to reach the market. Can you imagine the outcry from parent's groups and people with friggin' common sense? Smells like a cheap attempt to reference SAO.

Riku badgers Glorfindel back into Gunpla battle because of The Heart of the Cards or some bullcrap. Whatever. Oh and then he and the others have the gall to get mad about Glorfindel being D-Rank ,which is something they really should have already realized.

Since none of the other rival machines for the OP have shown up, except for Ogre, they're either going to be introduced as his Force, or we're going to have several more boring episodes where each of them is introduced one-by-one. Spare me.
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
Kuruni

No comment on Patrick? At this point people actively looking for him every episode :mrgreen: .

I would like to note that Sarah is seem to be somewhat out of character in this episode. She's usually act like clueless girl who is unaware of her nature (whatever it is), but it seem she known what she's doing while pushing Koichi to join the froup.
Arbiter GUNDAM wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 10:41 pm You can't, in the same episode, point out that doing some things in a VRMMO are nonsensical, like physical training or flinching when someone throws a punch at you....... and then do nonsensical things like punching a crater in the ground, Dragon Ball Z-style. How did Tigercub do that? I said, how did he do that? Does he have a skill for that? Is his STR and SPR maxed out? What's the deal?
I think the point is that they're in game so they don't have same limit as IRL. But since it feel so real, many players still think within limit of RL.
Arbiter GUNDAM wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 10:41 pm I can't go into GTA5 Online and punch a crater in the ground because the game's not programmed like that!
I get your point, but the problem is that (just like many problem in GBF-T) we've no idea if GBN is programmed to handle it or not. When you're making Gundam games, and with G Gundam include, you sure want to cover many crazy feats if it's possible just in case that someone want to be Master Asia.
Arbiter GUNDAM wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 10:41 pm Incidentally, such a game system would never, EVER be able to reach the market. Can you imagine the outcry from parent's groups and people with friggin' common sense?
Not so fast. American football has proven that "parent's groups and people with friggin' common sense" can ignore things like crippling injuries if the sport can generate enough money and popularity.
Kuruni

New episode. Exactly what you expect from "debut battle" epsiode, the battle is thankfully closer to Bild Strike Full Package/Star Build Strike's debut than Try Fighters', it's pretty fun despite being such one side battle.

Now I wish there would be explaination why all bug names are interest in Riku. Tsukasa does mentioned it before, so I hope they don't just ignore it.

I have feeling that Sarah might get her own gunpla late in the series, and it would exist as pure data without actual gunpla itself.

I also have feeling that Koichi will hook up with Ayame.
Ryujin

Even though the animation quality was on the 'eh' side, I found the latest episode to be pretty solid, since it's emphasized that KO-1 prepared for this battle very thoroughly with the team. Even though the results seemed a bit lop-sided, it was a plausible victory for team BD. Perhaps it's also indicative of the inexperience & overconfidence of Rommel's rookies that their gunpla were pretty basic/conservative with the weaponry & customization.

It should also be pointed out that KO-1 & Ayame are both experienced fighters, even though KO-1 was sidelined for a long while & Ayame, from what we know, operated alone.

I also found it unusual that the top names would hold such interest for a rookie team, but I guess that each, in his or her(?) own way, thinks of team BD as their proteges & treats them as such.
Arbiter GUNDAM wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 10:41 pm
Ryujin wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 7:35 am Also a minor continuity slip-up with how no one recognized Shahryar in the previous episode, yet here he's on the cover of the June issue of HOBBY WORLD along with Tigerwolf.
That's not just a minor continuity flub, it's so monumentally S T U P I D that I am declaring episode 5 of Build Divers to be one of the worst episodes of Gundam next to Moon Moon, Shinn's rabid breakdown and the last episode of AGE!! In our world of total social media and internet saturation, the fact that no recognizes the scam, even with Sharyar's face in magazines, is... just... STUPID!!!
Not sure if you're actually being serious here, but apparently the latest issue of WORLD HOBBY in which he reveals himself publicly was published in-universe after the episode with the scam, which makes it a pretty detailed touch. So it wasn't actually a flub but a direct consequence of the episode's events. I assume Shahryar did this in part to protect his reputation & to prevent further such scams using his name from happening.
Arbiter GUNDAM

Yes, I am being completely serious.

But how can we know that magazine was released after the events? Does it actually say on the cover "Sharyar Reveals Himself?" Even if it did, I still can't believe that in today's world, especially in a VRMMO that Fox-boy could hide what he looked like AND even if he could, I also don't buy that a builder as talented and skilled as he would want to go through the charade.

--Freyja Wion
Ryujin

Arbiter GUNDAM wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 12:58 pm Yes, I am being completely serious.

But how can we know that magazine was released after the events? Does it actually say on the cover "Sharyar Reveals Himself?"

That's the gist, yes. A simple reason for why he may have acted that way comes to mind, but, given your completely serious dislike for the show at this point, it would just be dismissed as speculation on my part.
E08

For those interested, around 3:20 - 3:24 of episode 6, the line directly above Shahryar and Tigerworlf in the magazine cover reads 'シャフリヤールダイバー姿を初公開!' and that translates into 'First public reveal of Sharyar's Diver look'.

A possible reason why Shahryar go through the charade might be because he prefers people to focus on his work and not on him personally. This is not really unheard of even in the real world.

It also worth noting that the line next to Shahryar and Tigerwolf on the magazine cover reads 'Toraburyu Vs Simurgh' ('シームルグ' translate into Simurgh I think...)
Kuruni

Arbiter GUNDAM wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 10:41 pm AYAME: Really? You made a purple-haired kunoichi named Ayame? If you replaced just one letter, then Banrise would start owing money to Koei-Tecmo.
Late, but I just realize that it make sense. Remember that "Ayame" is her in-game avatar's name. She might be simply like kunoichi-type character and pick the name based on famous character (thank whatever god that she doesn't pick Yukikaze or Asagi, things will be much more awkward around those kids), or Ayame might derived from her real name and she made the character based on that concept (just like how our Chris noted how people once call him Christopher Columbus).
Arbiter GUNDAM

Ryujin wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 11:52 pm
Arbiter GUNDAM wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 12:58 pm Yes, I am being completely serious.

But how can we know that magazine was released after the events? Does it actually say on the cover "Sharyar Reveals Himself?"

That's the gist, yes. A simple reason for why he may have acted that way comes to mind, but, given your completely serious dislike for the show at this point, it would just be dismissed as speculation on my part.
You know, my original response to your original reply was going to be more humble, but now that you're putting thoughts in my head (since we're not actually speaking words on an internet forum), I'm not going to be.

M'kay so it really says that. *shrugs* Alright, accepted.

Although yeah, you're also right about me not entirely buying it. Given how obsessive people are on the internet (and in general, remember that girl by the railway that then got badgered by all the train otaku?) I really do think he would have been found out way before now. Also, I think Fox Boy would be using another avatar/account to keep on the down-lo.

But hey! This past episode was actually pretty good! :)

--Freyja Wion
Ryujin

Arbiter GUNDAM wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 1:28 am Although yeah, you're also right about me not entirely buying it. Given how obsessive people are on the internet (and in general, remember that girl by the railway that then got badgered by all the train otaku?) I really do think he would have been found out way before now. Also, I think Fox Boy would be using another avatar/account to keep on the down-lo.
Come to think of it, there's a significant detail that gives weight to your criticism. Asides from being TOP BUILDER, Shahryar's also the leader of Simurgh, the THIRD-ranked team in the game worldwide, which indicates that he & his Force have fought a large number of other Forces in the past (not to mention the additional public attention that being #3 garners) so chances are that he would have met at least some of those Force members in person outside of their MS before or after a match.

It's hard to believe that everyone he'd met would collude to keep his appearance a secret, so I can only conclude that it's either as you suggested with the alternate avatar/account, there's an equippable accessory which plasters a giant mosaic censorship block over his avatar (really popular with ERPers!), or Shahryar is the son of an ME oil baron or ex-KGB dictator with the resources to intimidate anyone who finds out about his avatar's appearance (persistent fanboy wakes up one morning to find the popped-off heads of all his gunpla on the pillow beside him). :P

Edit: Overlooked the most obvious detail of all-- As shown in several episodes including the latest one, Force match replays are available for viewing by the public, and these clearly show the players themselves in the MS cockpits. This implies that Shahryar had already prepared an alternate account or an identity-concealing accessory from his very first match which, while possible, sounds a bit contrived. I also forgot that the champ basically did the same thing in episode 3, but that seemed more of a one-off temporary measure.

And then there's overthinking the whole thing, but that's the Mecha Talk way!
Last edited by Ryujin on Sat May 19, 2018 2:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
Kuruni

When I watched episode 5, I have feeling that Yousuke Kuroda write it as if GBD is set in an actualt fantasy world, and only add MMO element afterward when staff remind him.