Jushinki Pandora: Last Hope

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Zeonista

Jushinki Pandora: Last Hope

A new anime by Kawamori Shoji snuck onto the spring lineup. It wasn't streamed so a lot of people didn't pick it up at first. (I do suspect the show was something he threw together with some people and put out there without a lot of fanfare.) A friend of mine found some fansubs and we watched the first two episodes. The webpage is not interacting well with my computer right now. :(
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWWhym5_XsQ

It is definitely a Kawamori anime, make no mistake! Strange future tech advance, unforseen complications, strange & sometimes deadly alien life, fearless defenders in transforming mecha, a spunky heroine or two.... Yeah we have it all here. Lots of action, while the story in the first two episodes introduces us to the presumably main cast and gives us enough worldview to get the ball rolling. I really like the heroic mecha designs and the characters seem both likable and interesting. I'll be watching this one when the episodes become available.
"I am fire. I am death. I am Hashmal."

"Discontent is the first step in the progress for a man or a nation." - Oscar Wilde
False Prophet

Re: Jushinki Pandora: Last Hope

Yeah, there are definitely few people watching this show, considering everyone attention has been on Franxx, Full Metal Panic, and Build Diver. I like Pandora over all these three shows, though. Kawamori might actually pull this one out - It all depends on how charismatic and likeable he can make Leon Lau to be.

The animation is not as pretty as Delta, but it looks alright. I think that it is better than other shows afflicted with China - Hope this one lessen some of the bad rep the Chinese series get, even though it is completely produced by Satelight.

Anyone here want to talk about the mecha design? I am quite fond of the other mechs of the shows - more mechs running on treads is always a good thing.
Henyo

i dig the first episode. Leon is a refreshing Mecha MC as far as i'm concerned. i'm all for original mecha series. not that FranXX is enjoyable(and i am REALLY enjoying the SHIPPING Salt right now.)

the mecha has..a crotch turret? or maybe i just saw that wrong during its transformation.

another thing: WHOA THAT ACID DEATH!!!
MOOK: ITS A YURI FANBOY!
Zeonista

Oh yeah, the shipping salt for Darling in the Franxx can fill a lake in Utah. It's cute how the shippers think the anime can have a happy ending; it's clear all the adorable little pilots are expendable killer lab rats. But I digress....

Leon Lau makes for an interesting hero, not the usual setup for this type of show. However there is enough to him to make him an interesting protagonist.I am not sure if I can say anything intelligible about the mecha yet than "Oh wow, wicked kewl!!" but the designs seem pleasing so far. And yeah, hot acid death is grisly gruesome in true Eighties style.

EDIT: I started a Tech thread for the show for people who have insights & questions, which will be many!

"Discontent is the first step in the progress for a man or a nation." - Oscar Wilde
Henyo

Zeonista wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:42 pm Oh yeah, the shipping salt for Darling in the Franxx can fill a lake in Utah. It's cute how the shippers think the anime can have a happy ending; it's clear all the adorable little pilots are expendable killer lab rats. But I digress....

Leon Lau makes for an interesting hero, not the usual setup for this type of show. However there is enough to him to make him an interesting protagonist.I am not sure if I can say anything intelligible about the mecha yet than "Oh wow, wicked kewl!!" but the designs seem pleasing so far. And yeah, hot acid death is grisly gruesome in true Eighties style.

EDIT: I started a Tech thread for the show for people who have insights & questions, which will be many!
which makes me wonder if those rabid shippers even pay attention to the story, ya know,one of the things they REALLY should pay attention to.

anyhows, back to the Pandora. how many episodes it this set for? i actually didn't read any of the promotional articles for this.
Zeonista

It's 12 episodes unless I hear different, Henyo. Promo material for this anime is sparse, and their website was down the other day. I will have to check back and see if it is up again.

EDIT: My Anime List and ANN have this info.
https://myanimelist.net/anime/33531/Juu ... characters
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2 ... ga/.129057

EDIT 2: Good news! The anime web site is running. Bad news! It does not have a mecha section yet, so Henyo shall remain unsatisfied for now.
http://www.project-pandora.jp

Henyo

watched episode 2. and it was not a Crocth turret. it was a Navel turret!!! HESO!!!

multidimensional shenanigans(can't get more obvious thatn Schrodinger's cat.) plus leon's declaration at the end.
i am looking forward to things.

and that one character is a dead ringer for Cowbo Bebop's Jet Black. right down to having the same seiyuu.
Zeonista

Henyo wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:55 am and that one character is a dead ringer for Cowbo Bebop's Jet Black. right down to having the same seiyuu.
Kane Ibrahim Hasan (there's a name) does have a Jet look to him. Not only physical but in his worldly wise POV of a man who has seen too many battles but is still going. For that matter, I appreciate how nearly all the adult characters carry the strain of living in the new BRAI-dominant world in some form. Chloe-chan is about the only character who is not phased by the struggle for survival when the beasties are not actually in front of her.

My favorite scenes were:
1. Jay Yun & Leon Lau discussing the validity & necessary conditions of using the new interface. It was a rational discussion on the pros and cons of testing new tech, and on an adult level that has been missing from a lot of anime recently, including some of my recent favorites.
2. Doug Horvat's rant on the irresponsible actions of scientists who seem to blindly follow experimental oals to success without considering the effects of their research on humanity afterwards. Very heartfelt, and as a child of the 20th century I do understand where he is coming from. Chloe's subsequent attempt at defending her big brother was also relatable in the futility of trying to uphold the good side of a man dismissed by nigh everyone else as a selfish, short-sighted murderer.
3. The subsequent test, which was wild, colorful, and trippy enough to appeal to my Bakshi fandom. :)

Leon's big mecha car is impressive looking and very robust. Now if he could only get the "Jung Cannon" (not its name) to work properly with more than 1 person....

False Prophet

Zeonista wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:05 pm My favorite scenes were:
1. Jay Yun & Leon Lau discussing the validity & necessary conditions of using the new interface. It was a rational discussion on the pros and cons of testing new tech, and on an adult level that has been missing from a lot of anime recently, including some of my recent favorites.
2. Doug Horvat's rant on the irresponsible actions of scientists who seem to blindly follow experimental oals to success without considering the effects of their research on humanity afterwards. Very heartfelt, and as a child of the 20th century I do understand where he is coming from. Chloe's subsequent attempt at defending her big brother was also relatable in the futility of trying to uphold the good side of a man dismissed by nigh everyone else as a selfish, short-sighted murderer.
3. The subsequent test, which was wild, colorful, and trippy enough to appeal to my Bakshi fandom. :)

Leon's big mecha car is impressive looking and very robust. Now if he could only get the "Jung Cannon" (not its name) to work properly with more than 1 person....
Agree! I really like these scenes too!

Anyway, anyone here have an inkling on filmography? How good has Hidekazu been doing? Basquash and A.D. Police made me hated him, but I still have something for Lost Universe.
Henyo

would you look at that. Pandora is 2 cour! and from the looks of things, i'd like to think this is where Kawamori's combining Mysticism AND Multiversal shenanigans. the Miko dance in episode 15 along with the stuff of the drives made me think so.

also, Pandora became the 2nd series to debut in an SRW game while it's still airing.
Zeonista

Somehow I am not surprised that the SRW team was quick to stick a new Kawamori mecha into their newest game. They are definitely aware, awake, and ready to set those hooks. Now if I could only get a USA-friendly version over here....