Knight's & Magic

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Zeonista

Knight's & Magic

Yes, yes, oh god yes is this the real mecha anime hit for the summer time. Serious mecha otaku who could be MAHQ member is content and happy until he gets squashed by a truck. The End. No wait, he is reincarnated into Little Lord Bishiroy in a far-away land where mecha suits run on magic. And he is a gleeful over-achieving chenius!!! :lol: The mecha suits are really kickass too, lots of shout-outs to the heroic broadsword-swinging hero mecha of my misspent youth.
"I am fire. I am death. I am Hashmal."

"Discontent is the first step in the progress for a man or a nation." - Oscar Wilde
Deathzealot

Re: Knight's & Magic

WOAH! Agreed. Mecha and Magic two of my favorite things. I am quite amused that the MC is a reincarnated Mecha Fan from our world. That is pretty interesting. Since he is using his memories of the modern world and anime to really throw a wrench in the works sort of speak. Anyways a great series and one that I am going to keep following! Thanks Zeonista for the rec...
Zeonista

You are welcome Deathzealot. There have been some good non-franchise mecha anime broadcast this year, so I want members to know they have options.

Knight's & Magic (the apostrophe is not a typo) is a light novel adaptation. A friend of mine read the first couple of volumes and demanded this anime go on the summer viewing list. The anime skipped a few character-building chapters to get to the action, for which I forgive it. Reading the light novel is good but I do not think it is mandatory, since the quick-sketch characters are easy to understand and follow. I want the plamo for this show. The mecha suits have great design, both as "fighter" and "caster" models.

"Discontent is the first step in the progress for a man or a nation." - Oscar Wilde
Deathzealot

Did a review/summary post of Knight's & Magic on Sufficient Velocity. Maybe also repost it onto Spacebattles as well so I can spread the love sort of speak.

Speaking of the difference the Novels and the Anime. Have a question since you read the Novels. Is there any difference mentally between the MC and his Real World Self. By that I mean is he merge of the two characters, or the MC just has the Guy's memories. Know that written word would better answer this then the Anime. Since he appears around what six or so in the scene with his mother, and Grandfather in the Coach. Also with his father piloting one of the mecha he was bound to see one before now, so why did get so excited at that time. Anyways I am rambling. Again thanks for the Rec and I have added it to my Crunchyroll Queue.
Zeonista

My work here is done. 8) I do think the main hero's passion is the same as before. To me he has an "awakening" at a pivotal scene and everything returns as part of the moment, so to speak. Having the accumulated life experience as a computer programmer and mecha fan is a big help. Apparently the other world's magic system can be manipulated or "programmed", and he is up to the task of discovering how things work. Prodigy has been explained, at least to us the audience! :D

Deathzealot

Also noticed that not everyone could use the magic in this series. Both the MC's Father and Grandfather prefer fighting with a Sword Apparently and a couple of the mecha at the end of the first episode have the Staff of a Magic Type the others have swords, with one carrying a Shield as well. Wonder if only a percentage of people are able to use magic. Though I admit I may missed something in the episode.
yazi88

This was based on a web novel which got adapted into a light novel and manga. Since this started as a web novel, it uses the trope of MC being reincarnated in alternate fantasy world which is pretty much every web novels these days... the pacing is actually pretty slow in the novels so I appreciate the 1st ep speeding things up.
AmuroNT1

I dunno, the first episode kinda put me off with the insane pacing and the flagrant abuse of "show, don't tell". I get that they needed to compress the main character's childhood, but maybe they shouldn't have made it a nine-year gap between reincarnation and actual plot happening.
Sakuya: "Whatever. Stop lying and give up your schemes, now."
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

-Touhou 07.5 ~ Immaterial and Missing Power
yazi88

They compressed things a LOT, from his getting adjusted as a kid and time at the academy and making friends along with jealous upperclassmen, even the highschool pilots debut was shafted to the actual battle.
Amion

I thought its pacing was right along with oldschool mecha shows. Throw through the nitty gritty parts none of us really need to see, and get to the plot and mecha goodness.
They don't know the power of a balanced vision.
Dark Duel

So he went from old-school wizard-style staff to...magic-firing gunblades.
THAT.
IS.
TOTALLY.
FLIPPIN'. AWESOME!

Also, that kid is ridiculously pretty. That said, in his shoes, I'd probably be acting much the same way, so I can't criticize. Hate that cliffhanger ending though, but hey, this looks like a fun show to watch.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
yazi88

From what I've seen in the manga version, its about to get Break Blade type of action soon.
Deathzealot

So. Question: If you were in the MC's situation would you try to make your new 'partner' you are building into a Gundam. Because I know I would!
Amion

If I could hack magic... well, let's just say there would be a new overlord of the surrounding... continent, in the imminent future, plus the Gundam.
They don't know the power of a balanced vision.
Henyo

so, how much material can be adapted into the anime?
just wanna know if the anime version can interest me into actually reading an LN for once.

gonna wait for 2 or 3 episodes more before i start watching actually. :D
MOOK: ITS A YURI FANBOY!
Kuruni

Amion wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:51 pm If I could hack magic... well, let's just say there would be a new overlord of the surrounding... continent, in the imminent future, plus the Gundam.
The idea of conquering fantasy world with modern knowledge combined with fantasy lore - to figure out how nature work with science and overcome it with magic, such ambitious goal remind me of my younger days.

To date, if I could hack magic I would just settle down in a nice mansion full of loli :mrgreen: .
My girlfriend was a loli.
Deathzealot

What in the world!?! They also have power armor-like stuff too!? /shakes head/ Episode Two is the first time we get to see the opening, and while it isn't as good as some I have seen it still kind of catchy in the scheme of things. Though, was surprised with the bits with that power armor mecha in it. That took me by surprise! Anyways interesting episode so far.
yazi88

Power armors looked similar to the the Melafs in Escaflowne, not the Guymelafs actual mechs, but the powered armor Mefafs.

The OP song was pretty bad IMO, it sounded like it'd fit better in a generic romance comedy anime...
Dark Duel

That kid is OUT OF HIS FRIGGIN' MIND. And the thing that's equal parts terrifying and hilarious is that given his unique...advantage, he can still to an extent manage to make his crazy schemes work.
This episode was a ton of fun to watch,
Spoiler
especially when he had some initial difficulties with piloting the Guiar the old-fashioned way (for hilariously obvious reasons) before he decided to do his Neo thing and essentially hack himself an alternate way of controlling it. Which was awesome.

And of course, the crazy-awesome maneuverability he demonstrated afterwards, which put so much stress on the Guiar's frame that it essentially tore itself apart at the joints, the poor thing.
Probably the most hilarious part though is just how totally giddy that kid was through most of the fight.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
AmuroNT1

I dunno, so far I'm pretty lukewarm on this series at best. I love mecha and fantasy, and I love stories that can pull them off together, but this show isn't really grabbing me.

While the second episode was better about the whole "show don't tell" thing, that's mainly because they were done fast-forwarding through Ernesti's childhood in order to get to the "good stuff" (and even then there were some annoying parts, like the narrator explaining how the monster died). What really bugged me is that the ease with which Ernie adapted to piloting a completely unfamiliar mech is starting to set off my Gary Stu sense, which was already primed because that's one of the major problems with Isekai stories and a large part of the reason people are so sick of them.

Also, I'm just not feeling the mech designs. It feels less like they're the organic result of the high fantasy and giant robot genres marrying, and more like the latter was forcibly wedged into the former. It's like they took fairly standard Real Robot designs and added a couple of random "fantasy" touches like capes and gold fluting and called it a day.
Sakuya: "Whatever. Stop lying and give up your schemes, now."
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

-Touhou 07.5 ~ Immaterial and Missing Power