ID-0

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Zeonista

ID-0

This show got delayed a bit since it was not commercialy subbed & streamed. But last week the fan-subbers stepped up, and started with this TV series. Good thing too, since it would be a shame to miss this story. No real shooting or combat is at the center of its tale. It is about a bookishly successful student who finds herself in the middle of a claim-jumping raid, and finds herself forced to survive by living with, and ultimately sympathizing with, the claim jumpers themselves, a "family" of asteroid miners. It is an interesting tale with regards to mecha suits, remote control thereof, the "plugged in" lifestyle, prospecting and mining in "gold rush" format in space, and how small companies can stay in business ahead of the corporations. The characters are an interesting lot, both traditional and modern.
"I am fire. I am death. I am Hashmal."

"Discontent is the first step in the progress for a man or a nation." - Oscar Wilde
wielder

Re: ID-0

Yes, it's an interesting science fiction/mecha adventure series that more people should try to check out. I think it's definitely hinting towards a larger plot rather than truly episodic adventures, but each of the episodes have been enjoyable in their own right too. The cast is likable enough and I think there's some potential for nice developments around their interactions.
Soul Eater, the True Rune
Amion

Ido is Setsuna's dream. That is all I have to say at the moment.
They don't know the power of a balanced vision.
Ryujin

I want to see where Taniguchi will go with regards to themes of Transhumanism, especially as it's such a central aspect of most of the main cast (and the fact that the authorities/mainstream society seems to frown at it).

With regards to the CG, I enjoyed Sanzigen's work on Bubuki Buranki, so I'm pretty confident they'll deliver here as well.
Henyo

I'm enjoying this. and the CG is really good. better than Seikaisuru Kado at the moment. though that's mostly because this one has more girls. :twisted:

The Blue Guy, whose name i can't recall at the moment, looks like Layzner if you give it more human proportions.

also, i'm getting a bit of Neo Ranga vibes. at least from the "in the Mecha genre and yet does not have the usual amount of mecha action" approach.
MOOK: ITS A YURI FANBOY!
sdwoodchuck

Love the mecha designs, really like where they're going with it conceptually, but I don't like the protagonist at all, and that could sink it for me. I'll give it a few more episodes, but I'm not optimistic.
Zeonista

Amion wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:26 pm Ido is Setsuna's dream. That is all I have to say at the moment.
This is true, Ido is living the dream. :)

"Discontent is the first step in the progress for a man or a nation." - Oscar Wilde
Amion

Scarf and everything, seriously. The design of his robot body looks too much like the Exia to be coincidence. And I daresay the actor is Setsuna's very own, or one who sounds near-identical.
They don't know the power of a balanced vision.
Henyo

Amion wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:51 pm Scarf and everything, seriously. The design of his robot body looks too much like the Exia to be coincidence. And I daresay the actor is Setsuna's very own, or one who sounds near-identical.
it's the latter comrade. Ido's Seiyuu/CV/VA is Kazuyuki Okitsu.
Miyano's voice, if you're a Seiyuu Otaku is easy to identify. he's got three or 4 tops. kinda like Johnny Yong Bosch amusingly enough. hey, there 's an idea for a dub!

another easily identifiable voice here is Rikiya Koyama.(Kiritsugu Emiya, Ging Freecs)
MOOK: ITS A YURI FANBOY!
wielder

sdwoodchuck wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:05 pm Love the mecha designs, really like where they're going with it conceptually, but I don't like the protagonist at all, and that could sink it for me. I'll give it a few more episodes, but I'm not optimistic.
Maya is arguably the point of view character and she'll get some nice development in due time (I liked her interactions in the second episode, for the record), but a decent argument could be made showing that the real protagonist appears to be Ido. His name is even in the title and he's definitely at the center of the revelations we'll undoubtedly receive in the coming episodes. He even gets some more conflict/rivalry with the female soldier this week.
sdwoodchuck

Yeah, Maya may very well improve, which is what I'm hoping for. Like I said, I'm loving the concept and the design work so far, so I really want to be able to stick with it, but man, that is exactly the kind of character that can kill it for me.
wielder

ID-0 4 was really good.

It's a classic scenario, but Amanza and ID-0 work well as rivals. Glad the focus is on that rather than on Rick's antics. Pretty nice trick with the billiard-style solution too. Protip: don't bully little mysterious little girls in space that are somehow connected to Shinto gods, whether literally or figuratively speaking.
Zeonista

The science in this science fiction story is really working on the physical level. This being anime though, the nuts & bolts only serve as the framework for meditation on the human-or trans human-condition. Remember, the cute little girl is the most powerful character on screen! :lol:

Amanza is good as an adult version of Maya in acting as a foil to the main crew. And Aido (ID-0 ;)) has some interesting character development ahead of him. Plus, his memory is something else to indicate that private industry has been reduced to semi-legal wildcat prospecting & piracy in order to survive. This world is just as big and insitutional as some other mecha anime worlds, and just as unforgiving in dealing with people who just won't FIt In.

wielder

Well, the show just ended in Japan. It's still not up on Netflix though, but with some luck it'll be there soon.

Overall, I think they did a good job with the story and a decent one with the characters. Nothing groundbreaking, but almost everything was properly resolved and I particularly enjoyed the second half of the series.
Areku

wielder wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:27 pm Well, the show just ended in Japan. It's still not up on Netflix though, but with some luck it'll be there soon.
Netflix says Little Witch Academia shows up on June 30th, so I'd expect to see ID-0 show up then or a few days later.