The Official Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans Anime Thread Mk III

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Rawhloe

Re: The Official Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans Anime Thread Mk III

yazi88 wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:08 pm I think McGillis told Carta in secret about Tekkadan's location cause she'll get killed in combat.
True, but what I mean is that I wouldn't call this "killed by McGillis" from Rustal's perspective. I mean it was Carta's choice to use the information and she already was pursuing tekkadan foolishly.

Of course we know the true intention here on Mackie's part but in the universe of the series this would be kind of farfetched within a military organization.
domino

It was great to see Orga lash out at McGillis for his reckless disregard of Tekkadan however I don't think it phased McGillis much since Orga immediately reaffirmed his loyalty to the mission

McGillis will undoubtedly take advantage of Orga and Tekkadan again even if they make it through this battle
SonicSP

Rawhloe wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:51 am
yazi88 wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:08 pm I think McGillis told Carta in secret about Tekkadan's location cause she'll get killed in combat.
True, but what I mean is that I wouldn't call this "killed by McGillis" from Rustal's perspective. I mean it was Carta's choice to use the information and she already was pursuing tekkadan foolishly.

Of course we know the true intention here on Mackie's part but in the universe of the series this would be kind of farfetched within a military organization.
Ya I pretty much agree that Carta more or killed herself there for her incompetence and it was hardly the first time either.

But I think the reason why it doesn't matter from a public point of view is because of Gaelio. He more or less was almost killed by him and survived to tell the tale (and likely the Kimaris may have records of the conversation too, which is ridiculous). Tekkadan is also an organization that is strongly affiliated with McGillis, if not public ally known back then, is definitely the case now with recent events and the coup. While we know that all he did was put the two in a matchup for a very likely obvious outcome, I doubt the public or the other side can see it that way given Gaelio.

Actually I always thought that McGillis' mistake was that he didn't properly made sure Gaelio was killed by spending a minute or two there to ensure the cockpit was utterly impossible to survive. The more I thought about it though, his bigger mistake was to talk to Gaelio at all. While it's possible that other factions may have gotten some wind from here and there but Gaelio won't be able to affirmative confirm that McGillis is a traitor that tried to kill him. They wouldn't be able to trace it back unless McGillis does something like use the same frame in open fields again (which......not to his credit he went and did it anyways) or do something to hide the signature like the Custom Geireil or Vidar.
yazi88

McGillis did like his friendship with Gaelio, a lot more compared to Char with Garma. But in the end he screwed up by not sticking around to double tap at the end of season 1.

Opinions are probably divided in Gjharrhorn because on one hand McGillis is called out as a usurper who also tried to kill Gaeleo, but on the other hand Rustal and Iok's Arianrhod fleet is accused of various war crimes and played a major part in the corruptions surrounding Gjharrhorn that McGillis is trying to stamp out and possibly bring it back to its roots to bring order and stability to the Earth sphere. I wonder how the Economic bloc leaders on Earth are going to play a role in this Civil War breaking out, cause they are mostly sick of the power plays by Gjharrhorn but don't know what McGillis might do after the conflict if he wins.

Its a fascinating scenario that could have the potential to be more detailed compared to other civil wars within the Gundam franchise. Because there is no other big organization that have the power to fight them unlike other Gundam shows. Because this civil war is the only big war going on compared to the various contained skirmishes we've seen so far in IBO and also the Calamity War. The closest thing I can think that can potentially rise up to fight against Gjharrhorn as a whole is a coalition of Colonies, Teiwaz, Mars and Jupiter groups, along with hired guns/PMCs/Mercenaries which can include Tekkadan.
Loop_Stratos

Good grief, could it get any more depressing? I knew that the Dainsleif can't possibly hit Rustal, but come on. I present Sunrise a middle finger.

Not because I liked Shino, but the amount of deaths on Tekkadan's side is too damn high, and I really wanted myself to be wrong and have the Dainsleif hit.

Rustal's being tricky. I hate you.

---

I wonder what McGillis did to Isurugi? My baseless speculation says he's saved.

Julieta actually held on to Mika(for what time before they retreated). I didn't expect the skill gap to be not that wide. I am starting to think he's not all that good compared to other AV pilots. Especially since he seems to be losing to AV Ein most of the time.

Too little Kimaris vs Bael parts.
IMO

This is just a block of text. Move on.
Rawhloe

So the writers/director stepped up their games a lot huh? I don't even remember the last time I was this stoked about a gundam show. The animation was great too.

Wonder where this will end up but it's indeed depressing. What I don't get is this: Why do they had to go this close with Flauros? I mean the same weapon was used on the other side of the battlefield and they could reach tekkadan from there.
Loop_Stratos wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:04 am
Julieta actually held on to Mika(for what time before they retreated). I didn't expect the skill gap to be not that wide. I am starting to think he's not all that good compared to other AV pilots. Especially since he seems to be losing to AV Ein most of the time.
Well keep in mind that going full berzerker puts a huge strain on Mika's body so he probably wouldn't waste all of his energy on the "small fry".
Kuruni

Lot of tension and...dammit. Dammit!

Is Iok Lucky Man?!
Spoiler
I know Shino won't kill Rustal, but to think it would completely miss. Good bye Flauros, no, Ryusei-Go IV.
Interesting enouh, this is what said about Flauros in Goetia
he giveth True answares of all Things past present & to come, but unless he be commanded into a [the] Triangle, he will Lye in all those things and deceive or beguile ye
...which is sort of what happen.
My girlfriend was a loli.
phillosmaster

well F. I think that's the only way to react to that episode. To it's credit I can see this show resolving a bunch of different ways at this point. I really wonder how this is going to end considering this feels like the climax right now I think we still have quite a few episodes left, which is interesting.
Even as we speak, the stealth bombers of the Brotherhood of Dada are swooping silently overhead. They’re using stealth bombs which level whole cities without even the slightest trace of noise or damage. Nothing remains of the world you knew and still you stand in the ruins, acting as if nothing has changed.
Amion

Well, my poor Flauros got offed in the end. Maybe if it had a pilot who wasn't injured... blast it all. As for the Deinsleif missing, I'm surprised, honestly. It was firing from closer range and from a Gundam, too. It should have been able to hit, although from what I saw it was a stray shell that hit at exactly the wrong moment and skewed the direction of the shot, or something along those lines. It was probably Idiok. The man has more luck than Patrick Colasour. Even hitherto accurate weapons miss in order to preserve his Writing Staff-beloved carcass. His chances of survival seem... disturbingly higher than before. They must have something horrible in mind for him, I hope...

Well, the Kimaris is cool looking, and it even resembles Iron Mask! Not bad, I love it. Problem is, it has nothing, NOTHING on the sleek beauty that was the Vidar Gundam. Shame. At least it's doing good against the grunts, although I'm hoping Bael defeats it. McGillis' revolution is still a better potential government than Rustal's continued machinations.

Now, Julietta has done as well as I expected, proving she's definitely a capable pilot to stand up to the Barbatos Rex. Unless Mika starts to draw on more power, and thus threaten his body, he can't take her out quickly. She's not small fry.

Yes, this episode had many bleak moments. Maybe it wouldn't have been so bad had the Revolutionaries done more than engage head first. Why not rearrange their battle lines? Tekkadan's ships were roving every which way to avoid fire and got pretty darn close. Surely the same could be said for at least a few of the Revolutionary ships? Bad tactics will not win battles, McGillis, and neither do mindless numbers. But Rustal's got both on his side, plus deadly anti-ship monstrosities.

Yes, this felt like a real Gundam Show, that terrifying feeling when you realize cast members could start dropping any minute. So far so good, though. Only one annoying named character down, despite the withering Dein fire.
They don't know the power of a balanced vision.
phillosmaster

You definitely do get the sense that as tacticians Mcgillis and Orga are out classed by Rustal. Yeah it was a sneaky moment that turned the tide of battle, but at the same time it felt like Mcgillis never planned for it to come to this, which makes this situation seem all the more desperate for the revolutionaries.
Even as we speak, the stealth bombers of the Brotherhood of Dada are swooping silently overhead. They’re using stealth bombs which level whole cities without even the slightest trace of noise or damage. Nothing remains of the world you knew and still you stand in the ruins, acting as if nothing has changed.
dienrachen

Amion wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:12 pm although from what I saw it was a stray shell that hit at exactly the wrong moment and skewed the direction of the shot, or something along those lines
Actually it was the arm of the Reginlaze Julia that Mika tore off earlier. Julietta grabbed it and threw it at Shino at the last second. Which, ironically, is the highest achievement of Julietta's military career so far!

...and now she's up against Mika with one less arm (and blade). gg?

Amion wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:12 pm Yes, this episode had many bleak moments. Maybe it wouldn't have been so bad had the Revolutionaries done more than engage head first. Why not rearrange their battle lines? Tekkadan's ships were roving every which way to avoid fire and got pretty darn close. Surely the same could be said for at least a few of the Revolutionary ships? Bad tactics will not win battles, McGillis, and neither do mindless numbers. But Rustal's got both on his side, plus deadly anti-ship monstrosities.

Yes, this felt like a real Gundam Show, that terrifying feeling when you realize cast members could start dropping any minute. So far so good, though. Only one annoying named character down, despite the withering Dein fire.
This is something I found absolutely perplexing. What was the plan of McGillis? He arrived with a fleet much smaller than the enemy, and his plan was to... line up and slug it out? Was he seriously hoping that Tekkadan would just overpower Arianrhod like they had everyone else so far?

Doesn't seem like a guy I'd nominate for highest general so far.
Amion

I agree. His inability to strategize or adapt is extremely underwhelming.
AmuroNT1

Hey Daisuki, if you guys could NOT have giant spoilerous images as the episode thumbnail, that'd be great.

Also, my biggest question is: how did absolutely nobody on McGillis' side notice the douchebag with the Dainsleif launcher just merrily trotting his way up to the front lines?
Sakuya: "Whatever. Stop lying and give up your schemes, now."
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

-Touhou 07.5 ~ Immaterial and Missing Power
SNT1

Yikes... but awesome. I've been saying since mid S1, they need to cut their characters down. Ein disappointed me in this regard but looks like, for now, the balance has been paid in full. This episode is pretty straight to the point.

+Rustal is the biggest asshole of all time. Also, devilishly clever. Those Dainsleifs just absolutely tear through everything. This is the guy Iok looks up to. And his talk with Julietta? Strangely Durandal (from GSD) like. He outmaneuvers McGillis rather handily this episode. He really is the corruption that needs to be purged.

+McGillis, once again, doesn't look like much of a bad guy here, IMO, aside from the fact that he hasn't directly reached out to Tekkadan (hey, dude got socked by Orga, I wouldn't be too chatty either).

+BLR vs Reginlaze Julia - nice, high level 1v1, Mika looks like he's not trying too hard, while Julietta seems to be of better fighting mood than her match with Amida. Mika was still winning, but it wasn't the embarrassment that Amida gave to Julia.

+Bael vs Kimaris - inconclusive, looks like we'll see more of it next episode. Snippet shows an even match.

+Helmwige Reincar/Graze units vs Kimaris - Kimaris Vidar shows some nifty tricks, but Isurugi held his own pretty well.

+ReginGlaze Julia vs Hekija - Hush, no match, lol. Bless your heart.

-So any doubts that Yamagi is full-on gay for Shino?

+Flauros tried to do a Lockon Stratos but failed and looked less cool doing so. I'm pretty positive that Mika will attempt to eat the Julia if they match up again. Mika looked aggrieved when he saw the Julia get that one arm hurl off.

-I wonder what the rest of Gjallahorn is thinking about this?

Also, Liza Ensa died. So named charcter kill count this episode is 2.
Last edited by SNT1 on Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
(>-.-)>-} >>---> \(x.x)/
domino

AmuroNT1 wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:36 pm
Also, my biggest question is: how did absolutely nobody on McGillis' side notice the douchebag with the Dainsleif launcher just merrily trotting his way up to the front lines?
Most likely they didn't even recognize the weapon (Liza didn't) since they're so inexperienced - and were definitely distracted by the apparent retreat.

Rustal is a serious bastard. Iok clearly has a forcefield of dumb luck.

Goodbye Shino, you went out giving it your all :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
X_zoro

Damn Not Shino :( well at least he has Aston and Biscut to keep him company.
Kuruni

SNT1 wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:44 pm -So any doubts that Yamagi is full-on gay for Shino?
In this day and age, it's time to accept it as norm :| .
My girlfriend was a loli.
Amion

domino wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:22 pm Iok clearly has a forcefield of dumb luck.
That makes it almost sound like he's the Chosen One. :shock: Surely not. surely he will die by the end of the series.
Deathzealot

Dammnit Amion!! :x Don't Jinx it!
domino

Well, no matter his ultimate fate, the series writers are going to great lengths to keep him alive - probably for some other reason than to piss us off

The battle has taken a turn for the worst. Unless the orbital fleet steps in, McGillis has already lost even if he is able to defeat Kimaris Vidar and/or Mika defeats Julietta. Rustal used disgusting tactics but since he framed McGillis for the war crime, it's not like he'll face any penalty for doing so.

I'm not sure what McGillis next step will be.....for some reason, I assumed that he'd have some serious trump cards - perhaps other Gundam pilots on his side besides Tekkadan? Maybe McGillis took the mobile armour remains and will make use of it....but that's very unlikely.

Given the sad ending for happy-go-lucky Shino, we may have to brace ourselves for a very sad ending to IBO or one where no one has won but everyone lost a lot.