The Official Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans Anime Thread Mk III

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Shinji_Shinigami

Re: The Official Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans Anime Thread Mk III

One thing, that bugged me in season 1 is bugging me again. McGillis saind one time, that Gundams Apeared numerous times in history when change was about to happen, or close to that. I would like to know if he was just refereing to the Calamity war or the time before or after it. Little is known from the Calamity war and especially the time before it. Or have Gundams appeared numerous times within these 300 years?

Makes me wonder
yazi88

All the Gundams were made during the Calamity War along with other mobile suits to counter the destructive mobile armors. I'm guessing sometime within the 300 years after the war prior to the present time, a lot of uprisings have occured and some got lost in the conflict.
Kuruni

Thinking about it, I believe that McGillis has hasten his revolution. The one he has in mind when propose alliance with Orga probably take much longer time (that it won't be two against one), and Bael probably play less vital role (or not at all).

Four important things happen since then. First was Vidar give him a hint of being Gaelio. So McGillis is fully aware that whatever rousing speech he give, Rustal can crash it.

Second is how he was fascinated by Barbatos' display of brute force (which make even more sense in this episode), and so he make up his mind (about piloting Bael, I guess).

Third is Iok using Dainslaif, finally give him a solid proof of crime against Arianrhod fleet.

And fourth, Tekkadan cut tie with Teiwaz and must rely on him. Before this, we're aware that Orga was still listen to Naze and McMurdo so Tekkadan would still has choice to quit. Not so much now. (and before someone ask why Tekkdan would be so important, who else have three Gundams?)
My girlfriend was a loli.
SonicSP

phillosmaster wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:22 am So unless IBO really flubs the ending this show is hands down my favorite Gundam series in a while. Certainly since 00 finished up. They did feel like they were pulling their punches at the end of the first season a bit, but that's all totally changed now. It kinda feels like anyone can go before the end at this point. So that's going to make for some tense drama going into the end of the season.
Yeah I pretty much agree with this sentiment personally, some things could be executed better but for me there was way too many good parts that outweighs the bad.

And this is before I add in the mechanic background lord which is also my favorite in a while with Ahab Reactors, Nano-Laminated Armor, etc.
Shinji_Shinigami wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:52 am One thing, that bugged me in season 1 is bugging me again. McGillis saind one time, that Gundams Apeared numerous times in history when change was about to happen, or close to that. I would like to know if he was just refereing to the Calamity war or the time before or after it. Little is known from the Calamity war and especially the time before it. Or have Gundams appeared numerous times within these 300 years?

Makes me wonder
I thought the way it was worded so it can be interpreted as an IBO only reference or a Dark History reference, which was clever I suppose.

There were only around 26 Gundams confirmed to still be existence in Season 1, so I suspect some of them were used for stuff that caused big political changes. Likely nothing close to what we are seeing in the present P.D., but likely enough to be notable.
Last edited by SonicSP on Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
SonicSP

Accidental
Amion

I went back to rewatch the last episode just to enjoy Gundam Vidar. And in so doing noticed something very disturbing.

From the moment Bael is activated, little particles appear all around Gjallarnhorn's HQ. This not only occurs outside, but inside the cockpits of the mobile suits as well. It also appears on the monitor while Galileo is interrupting McGillis' triumphant monologue. They're not GN pixiedust, but instead appear like ordinary dust motes, subtle but intrusive. After rewatching it a third time, I notice that they're not instantly there, but they do start to sort of materialize from nowhere. Is it just the sunlight perhaps?

Am I the only one who noticed this? :? And if so, does it mean anything? Or has this been just an animation effect? I don't rightly recall anything quite like this before. It comes off as overt enough for the viewer to notice, but no one in the show appears to act different. If the stuff is more than anime fluff then we must assume it's meant to be invisible or hard for the in-show characters to notice. Sorry if this is nothing, I just think it's strange. :|

Also, the ancient long-eyebrow Seven Stars member asks McGillis what he's just done. Could this be related to the near-instantaneous particle saturation?

There's also the weird thing that gets tracked by Isaribi on its way to the Moon. But I'm pretty sure that was just Galileo escaping into space, so nothing noteworthy there.
They don't know the power of a balanced vision.
yazi88

Its probably the effects being shown off in a dramatic fashion given the AHAB Reactors mobile suits have a special type of thrusters compared to suits of other series, but similar to GN reactors, but without all the mystical weirdness. Its just a aesthetic thing.
Loop_Stratos

Has anyone thought of Hush and Julietta being pararrels?
-Underdeveloped(not a good thing)
-Pilots what might be the best non-Gundam Frame MS on their side(Reginlaze Julia/Hekija)
-Wanted to be stronger(and considered AV)
-A great pilot, but not the best of the best even considering non-AV(Julietta being beat by Amida, Hush didn't seem to use Hekija as well as Lafter/Azee)
-Loyal to someone(Rustal/Mika)

Has this been mentioned before and I simply missed it?
IMO

This is just a block of text. Move on.
Kuruni

Dude, Amida is probably the best non-AV pilot in this show, and is likely still in the top three when include AV pilot.

It's kind of like calling a character a second-rate by compare them to Saitama.
yazi88

Hush is also not a veteran pilot like Lafner who also helped in the testing for the unit. But it shows how much potential Hush has especially getting a major upgrade from a regular Shiden which is a decent suit but is more useful optimized for group combat with other Shidens. The Shiden custom is a big step above the regular Shiden because of the extra thrusters and especially the AV system.
Kuruni

It's full of irony....and big death flag for everyone.

Rustal is the more resonable character in this conflict. If it isn't that we know of his previous crimes and fact that he has Iok, I think we'll think of him much more highly.

Power of Bael as symbol is much less effective than I thought. All it does is prevent other two houses (and probably Bauduin) to join Rustal. Now I hope it's actually a powerhouse on field.

Look like Vidar will be upgraded (or restore?) into Kimaris Vidar in next episode.

Orga realized McGillis fooled him (well, give him half-truth) all along, but he has nowhere to go back now.

The scene with Almiria is great. Despite all manipulation, I for one want to believe that McGillis is really honest about want to make her happy. Sadly, the most important think (IMO) in this scene is that she's more or less broken now. The whole things is too much for her to think about, and so she'll stop thinking and simply hold on his word even if part of her know it's insane.

Mika and Atra's scene is sweet. Well, the hangar is quiet and Mika is linked to Barbatos, guess it's about the time...
Last edited by Kuruni on Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
X_zoro

I was under the impression it was unofficially called Kimaris vidar already and that this upgrade is just going to have another name add to it, also Mcgillis made a big Mistake in calling Orga's family "Minor" I'm not sure what Gundam anime Mcgillis was watching but in Iron-blooded Orphans everyone in tekkadan matters even the the side characters and minor characters and everyone has a name yes that also means characters who have no faces like Lex,Dios and Danji ( some of these guys died off screen) so Mcgillis better watch his fucking mouth next time or Orga will do more then just punch him.
Dark Duel

I'm not sure if I'm the only one or not - probably not - but I went back and rewatched last week's episode before watching this week's, and...
Well, I'm disappointed. In terms of the narrative direction, all this time it seemed like it was going somewhere that could be really interesting, only to fall back on the same well-worn trope of "Bigass battle between Group A and Group B, with the main characters caught in the middle" that we've already seen far too many times before. Not that it's not possible for that to be handled in an interesting way, but what we've gotten in the last two episodes or so, at least to me, fails to live up to what the story could've done with the elements it had.
Then there's the sheer predictability. I mean literally nothing in the last two episodes hasn't been called months in advance. If there's one thing that I'm even a little surprised by, it's that Almiria's still breathing by the end of this episode, and as a character she is so utterly irrelevant that it actually doesn't matter whether she died or not.

I suppose the most disappointing aspect of it more me is how the series is handling McGillis. Throughout the entire first season, and even up to the deployment and destruction of Hashmal, McGillis has been ambiguous in terms of his motivations and what his goal is. He wasn't a straight-up villainous character, but much like our protagonists, he was willing to go to quite significant lengths to pursue his goal. We had no idea, at the time, what that goal was.
But he talked about the corruption in Gjallarhorn - which was made blatantly obvious to us as the viewers from the beginning - and about reforming the organization. And that was a recurring theme.
And then season 2 introduced Rustal and assorted hangers-on, representative of the corrupt Gjallarhorn that McGillis claimed to oppose and wish to reform - the ambiguous but well-meaning McGillis on the one hand, the Obviously Evil Rustal and his minions on the other.
You had a good set up, and a lot of potential for an interesting conflict between those two parties, with our main characters to fall, of course, on one side or the other.
And then...
Then, here we are, and instead of something interesting with that premise, those stated goals, and that character - instead of living up to the very substantial narrative potential of the story elements we have, what we get instead...
...is a sudden bout of Zabi-style egomania. And a straight-up power grab like we've already seen a hundred times before.

It's disappointing. It's not as disappointing as some others we've gotten, second-season-wise, but it's still disappointing to me because it's a lackluster conclusion to what has hitherto been a pretty phenomenal narrative.
I'll still watch the next half-dozen episodes or so because I still want to see how all this ends. But overall, I think they could've done much better with what they have than what they're giving us. And that's a real shame.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
Amion

So, this episode did indeed clear the air on how everything goes down. Sadly it's as Dark Duel said, and things are now cut and dry for the most part. However, I'd argue that this was how it ultimately had to go down. The only other possible setup they could have given us would be a Devil Gundam situation where a Final Boss Mobile Armor awoke for Mikatos to smash, or a more politically-centric ending.

I guess there's different ways things could have swung, but I don't really mind this setup. There's still time for at least one more plot twist. We've still got at least six episodes left, and I for one don't believe the Arianhrod battle will last that long. Then again, this series knows how to drag things out...

As for the character moments, I enjoyed them all. Anything with Galileo in it seems to be better than anything McGillis does at this point, so I really liked his peptalk with Julietta. If only the Vidar had not been kitbashed with the Kimaris. It looks like it will be hideous, but I withhold judgement until I see the entire blasted thing. (I don't dislike what we've glimpsed, but it reminds me of a Crossbone Vanguard design, and I never really appreciated any of those).

I agree with Kuruni that it would be nice if McGillis genuinely desired to make Almiria happy in the end, and that she was the one character who he dropped his mask for. It's still a bit creepy, but I wonder now if he sees in her a reflection of himself, or at least life situation. She's not anywhere near as bad off, but she's still being used by older people for convenience. Perhaps McGillis wished to help her escape a similar fate to himself. That, or he's just a pedophile. What to think? At this point, Almiria's got the right attitude. Macky is insane. Whatever goals he has won't turn out to be just ones in the end.

But... I've just about had enough with McGillis' character and his plans. They are senseless. The primary reason he's been prevented from an overwhelming victory was the loss of Carta and the murder of Galileo. There was no reason to do either of these if his ultimate goal was to activate Bael. The "iron-clad" rule basically would give him everything he murdered for:

If he'd just done that research he got from Ein, and not made a big Mustache Twirl in front of Galileo about it, he could have gotten his data and activated Bael without murdering his only two real friends and causing this ENTIRE situation for himself. He'd not only have had the Bauduin Family support as friends and inlaws, but the Issue family's as well. With Bael, he could just order Carta to hand over direct control of the Outer-Earth-Joint-Regulatory-unnecessarily-Long-named-Mostly-Ceremonial-Squirrel-Fleet. Or just, you know, order the OEJRULMCSF through Carta via Bael's authority.

I'm calling it now that the writers just didn't plan out McGillis' ultimate plan at all. In fact, if he already had the AV ready, why not use Gundam Bael to slay Hashmal? He knew of the Mobile Armor ahead of everyone else. He knew how to pilot Gundam Bael, he had the enemy the whole Absolute Authority Rule was supposed to fight sitting there in Tekkadan's backyard. He may be an idiot otherwise, but Iok Kujan actually had the correct idea! If McGillis had played things smart, he could have lined his ducks all up in a row and shot them one-by-one systematically. So I'm disappointed. The story had great potential, but its staff didn't pull the elements together right. Oh well, at least we have a descent setup, and not a Destiny screwup.

Now, Kudelia, Kudelia. You had better get off your pretty posterior and start making that painting on the wall come true. I watched too many episodes invested in your character to see you sidelined before the end. Seriously, she halted the Arianhrod fleet once before, it's time for her to deal Gjallarhorn a blow on the political side.

The best scene is probably between Atra and Mika. Mika even shows some genuine emotion, and Atra is still apparently blinded by seeing the green light from Mika. She had better take the chance in that empty hanger with him while she has the chance. Death Flags are flying in full force, and their love has painted a very large crosshair on both of theirs. Close the cockpit hatch already!
yazi88

Either way, Rustal and his fleet would've been in McGillis's way of reforming Gjarrhorn, he tried to make a shortcut to being the leader of Gjharrhorn and it did not go as he expected. So he has to take down Rustal and his forces in order to bring in his vision of Gjharrhorn. I do understand people felt McGillis's plan did come up short but I guess he didn't plan on things backfiring on him. But we do have about 5 eps left... maybe things will pick up again on McGillis...

Mika was honest and subdued as he usually is and what he said is consistent with what we've seen with his character. Mika grew up fighting to survive on the streets without the proper development as a kid and that stunted both his mind and his body. He only knows what he grew up doing and is lacking in a lot of other emotions. He's a child soldier who unlike most other Gundam characters was not taken in by someone or a organization to help him or educate him into anything resembling a normal person. Even Setsuna was taken in by Celestrial being and was given some sort of support and education. Heero was taught by his father/instructor on how to kill but also raised by some sort of parental figure. Mika had none of that, he had Orga who was a kid himself but Mika drew blood a lot earlier than most other people too. And he had to live with it not caring for the impact it would do to his mind and shaped him to what he is today. He sees himself as expendable because what else aside from Orga's goals did he have to live for?
SNT1

Huh, I didn't realize there would be this much of a backlash in this episode. Anyways, here's my thoughts:

-For one, I liked to see all of Tekkie's reactions on this 'final battle' predicament, including Orga. It really did have a feeling of them being a bunch of inexperienced kids having nowhere to go, no plans, making everything up as they go, and now they have to face this new reality.

-McGillis' grand plans go flat:
McGillis: I am now Agnika II, obey me!
Rest of Seven Stars: nawp
McGillis: :( k
In any case, it's kind odd having 'Horn faction 1 and 'Horn faction 2 clash against each other with 'Horn faction 3 just staying 'neutral'. Someone should do something lol? What is the Baklazan head up to, I wonder?

-Gaelio looks like a damn hero here, bringing back Kimaris, if only he didn't have to follow a war criminal to achieve his goals... If 'Montag' only made sure and double tapped... :lol:

-Almiria: Poor Almiria. I'm glad she realizes what's going on. Macky's bat shit crazy. And did you see his side-eye when Isurugi interrupted his moment? I had to LOL, pause, rewind then LOL again

-Dainslefs for the Galaxy Cannon

-No deaths here, but one guy got stabbed and ate an overhand right :lol:

-WIth "Final Battle" coming up and asking if Mika was only able to move in the cockpit, thought they were gonna do the dirty right there and then :lol:

Now, for the concerns: We are still about 6 episodes to go; this is definitely not one big battle left. It's now being more clear that Tekkadan is the one who will betray Macky.
I'm calling it now that the writers just didn't plan out McGillis' ultimate plan at all. In fact, if he already had the AV ready, why not use Gundam Bael to slay Hashmal? He knew of the Mobile Armor ahead of everyone else. He knew how to pilot Gundam Bael, he had the enemy the whole Absolute Authority Rule was supposed to fight sitting there in Tekkadan's backyard.
I'm pretty sure he had the AV upgrade done AFTER Hashmal. Remember his villainous soliloquy about how Mika/Tekkadan has made things clear for him and what he needs to do?
Last edited by SNT1 on Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
(>-.-)>-} >>---> \(x.x)/
X_zoro

Its Funny that I enjoy this episode more then you guys, while last episode was the other way around ( I had more issue with gaelio ) I find it strange actually.
Amion

SNT1 wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:55 pm
I'm pretty sure he had the AV upgrade done AFTER Hashmal. Remember his villainous soliloquy about how Mika/Tekkadan has made things clear for him and what he needs to do?
[/quote]

Exactly. This is the heart of the contradiction. If he always planned to reach Bael, and used Ein slew Galileo for the sake of that, he already intended to go AV. But he didn't do it until he saw Mika destroy Hashmal. If he wanted to use the Gundam to its fullest effect and it was literally the centerpiece to his master plan, why spend two years or whatever debating? The writers flip-flopped with him on what exactly how he was trying to accomplish his goals.
SNT1

Likely the technology to safely implant AV on adults wasn't quite yet finalized until we got around/after the Hashmal arc
(>-.-)>-} >>---> \(x.x)/
yazi88

I wouldn't necessarily say the writers flip-flopped on McGillis, he might have modified his plans after seeing Mika taking down the mobile armor and thought to try the AV implant on himself, and possibly to use the Bael as a symbol of power after seeing Mika bring out the full potential of the Barbatos Lupus.

Its very easy to tell McGillis was going to fight with Rustal's fleet, why would we think otherwise? Sure maybe McGillis could've gotten more forces via the other families but now the battle is more desperate on the protagonists side, which is a good way to ramp up the tension. I wonder if he has the Mars and Jupiter forces participate, maybe make a deal with Teiwaz?

I'm also curious at how the economic bloc leaders on Earth are going to do? Given that Rustal provoked a conflict with Arbrau and SAU they might try to get back at him by allying with McGillis.