The Official Gundam The Origin Mecha Thread Mk I

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
Jamafore

Re: The Official Gundam The Origin Mecha Thread Mk I

At this point, I don't think the Gundam is the special part of Project V. Notice what the Gundam has that the Guncannons (as shown) nor the Zakus have.

The beam weaponry.

The Gundam itself is just a mobile suit with really thick skin, but it also took the Musai cannon and shrunk it down to an MS portable weapon, to say nothing of the sabers. I'm leaning towards that being what Project V is geared towards at this point. And it wouldn't be unreasonable to assume that Tem Ray had to design the Gundam from the ground up to make use, or even possible, this technology.

One thing I don't understand is why they felt that they had to develop this tech to begin with. Why not just make a "Federation-type Zaku" and be done with it? Or at least use it as a stopgap.

What NEEDS that level of firepower to kill when a capital ship is not available?
QUOTE - Drudge Dreadnought - Bolter and Chainsword
"Facts are chains that bind perception and fetter truth. For a man can remake a world if he has but a dream and no facts to cloud his mind."
Zeonista

J-Lead: Well, there are first battles, and then there are official first battles, not exactly the same thing in the Universal Century. ;) No doubt the EFSF preferred to have the off-the-books skirmish in the botched extraction fade into obscurity, while the first Gundam battle took the honors in the official history.

I have no problem with having the initial RX-76 Guncannons as seen in Origin #4 up and running in 0078, with the RX-77 types in production. I like the early Guncannon design, which shows a design step between Guntank and the later support-type Guncannon. The type seems to have been deemed a failure and recycled into later Federation MS design. Not really fair, since to me the error was in the order to deploy a partially trained MS unit, not the MS itself.

False Prophet: The Wehrmacht uniforms for all services prior to WW II were probably chosen for a template for the Zeon forces because they looked really good! That was the point, really; Hitler had ordered fashion designers to create stylish military uniforms. Nothing like getting the right professional talent involved! :) The original TV anime uniforms were partially that, partially Imperial Japanese, and partially classic sci-fi anime villain getup. Adding the utility + style function of the quasi-Wehrmacht design (plus Gihren-sama being a closet Hitler fanboy) and the uniform design choice makes sense.

Jamafore: Your question has been answered in Origin #4, in the wake of the skirmish on the Moon, and the revelation that Tem Ray had been a student of Dr. Minovsky. Dr. Ray's dismissal of the showpiece Guncannon was the final verdict on that type's capability. At the same time, the Zeon pursuit force had given a great display of the power of their MS types. Just making a Feddy Zaku would not give an advantage in the inevitable clash between Mobile Suit units! Minovsky particle beam weaponry would give the advantage; powerful, accurate beam rifles would disable or destory any target, and the beam saber would allow hastily trained EFSF pilots a chance in close combat. In turn the Minovsky power plant that could support those weapons would have enough output to make its MS agile and responsive. The Gundam and GM pilots might not have the training and experience of the Zaku pilots, but their MS would have the capability to let them match and overcome the Zaku MS.
"I am fire. I am death. I am Hashmal."

"Discontent is the first step in the progress for a man or a nation." - Oscar Wilde
Erisie

Jamafore wrote:One thing I don't understand is why they felt that they had to develop this tech to begin with. Why not just make a "Federation-type Zaku" and be done with it? Or at least use it as a stopgap.
Y'mean... like the Zanny? The Thunderbolt manga had them as well.
Zeis

According to the manual of the new Guncannon kit, the carrier ship they were on is called the Pizarro class.
PowerdGNFlag

Zeis wrote:According to the manual of the new Guncannon kit, the carrier ship they were on is called the Pizarro class.
Makes sense, seeing that they have ship classes named after explorers like Columbus, Magellan and, uh, Salamis
Well, I guess I'm a nobody...
Deacon Blues

Zeis wrote:According to the manual of the new Guncannon kit, the carrier ship they were on is called the Pizarro class.
The design is very similar to the camouflaged space freighter in Gundam 0083. I'm interested to see how it was adapted from civilian to military use or vice versa.
toysdream

This ship design also appeared in Gundam ZZ. There are quite a lot of recycled ZZ mecha in 0083...

I just noticed - and stop me if this is old news - that the Columbus and Musai from episode 1 have exactly the same dimensions. The Columbus specs always seemed weirdly huge, especially since we can see Saberfishes launching from the deck in episode 1 to provide a size comparison (indicating a deck width of about 30m, and overall width of roughly 100m). Could this simply be a copy-paste error? In the "Ship & Aerospace Plane Encyclopedia" they copy-pasted the Chivvay specs onto it instead...

-- Mark
Deacon Blues

toysdream wrote:I just noticed - and stop me if this is old news - that the Columbus and Musai from episode 1 have exactly the same dimensions. The Columbus specs always seemed weirdly huge, especially since we can see Saberfishes launching from the deck in episode 1 to provide a size comparison (indicating a deck width of about 30m, and overall width of roughly 100m). Could this simply be a copy-paste error? In the "Ship & Aerospace Plane Encyclopedia" they copy-pasted the Chivvay specs onto it instead...
The specs are also the same in the Storyboards & Animation Setting Book that came with the first Blu-ray. Maybe they'll be clarified when they publish a Mechanical and World book for the Origin in the future?

But now that I look, it's the same on the official website as well...
Erisie

There was an update on the official site: MS-05 Kycillia Corps Custom. Those guys appeared for a split-second on episode IV, during Zeon's landing on the lunar cities.

What's interesting about it is the crest. I'm pretty sure I saw a Zaku II with that same crest before, somewhere in the manga. I've looked everywhere (Vertical volumes, scans, scans translated to Chinese, Official Guides I and II, MS Illustrated 2015, Yahoo! Japan) and the only place I've found a model with that same crest was in a customized Master Grade that got featured in a magazine.
Xohar

So THAT is what that variant with the crest where, i swear it was killing me inside, because why make a modification to a CGI model, if you didn't make a backstory about it, now I just want to know why the black tristars and Chars zaku I have that line in the right shoulder, but I assume it's just the difference between the "first production" models and the Mass produced ones.
bilbros

I think the combination of that crest + the black coloring is a sort of trademark for Kycilia's corps, since the Zaku IIs Erisie was initially recalling are actually seen in volume 23 of the manga, inside A Baoa Qu fortress
Spoiler
during the "civil war" scenes between Kycilia loyalists and the pro-Artesia faction
False Prophet

Do you think how many percentage of Char, Ral, and the Black Tri Stars' victory before the Iron Calvary Squadron is on the machine, and how many percentage is on the pilots? I have a feeling that if it hadn't been them behind the throttle, at least one or two Bugu would had been taken out. The Guncannon is bad, but not that bad.
Deathzealot

You mean Zaku I right? The only Bugu was Ral's machine if I remember right.
Dark Duel

Yeah only Ramba Ral had a Bugu - the Tristars' and Char's machines were definitely MS-05s, I just checked the manga - though the "MS-04" isn't ever named that I can recall in the manga, it's definitely the same machine in the OVA and manga that Ral pilots, and the other four all have Zaku Is.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
False Prophet

Has the Gundam Ground Type ever been shown in Origin timeline (in the manga)? I remember reading somewhere that the Gundam Local Type, which itself is made of spare parts, contribute in the development of the Ground Type. But how? Like "The Local Type give the EFF knowledge on how to put up units from spare parts"?
Dark Duel

Not in the original Origin manga.
Only the RX-78-01(which is destroyed at Side 7) and RX-78-02(which is the one Amuro ends up in) appears in The Origin itself. I dunno about side materials though.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
Calubin_175

I could see that Origin verse and MSD is trying to unify all those visually inconsistent designs from UC One Year War which were a result of mixing Okawara, post 90s Okawara, Izubuchi and Katoki designs which notably produced too many lines of GMs etc(Jaburo, Luna II, Augusta).

They've modernised a couple of MSVs/M-MSV such as Waterproof Gundam and Gouf Prototype, two from 08th MS Team: Locale use Gundam, MS-06RD4 Zaku. In terms of the weapons, we see the Izubuchi Bullpup Machine gun being used by the Guncannon, and the 08th MS Team 100mm machine gun used by pre-war Zeon and some Federation mobile suits.

Don't see many Katoki exclusive in universe elements aside from everything being done by him now in his lanky proportions 8) .

In a way, it is like Disney wiping out all of Star Wars Legends clean and starting over and slowly adding bits and pieces to make it more cohesive.

MSV-R was interesting because they didn't take into account anything from 0080 and 0083, only included some elements from 08th MS Team with mention of Norris Packard and inclusion of the 100mm machine gun.
Deathzealot

Woah. What in the world is that ship at 2:34 of the 11-Minute Screening of Episode Five? That GundamInfo just released. Thought it was a Lapanto Class at first but it has three beam cannon turrets instead of the one. Not to mention, it looks smaller than the Lepanto and the Salamis Class.

EDIT: Opps. Episode Five, not Four.
bilbros

Yep, it's clearly a variant of the Salamis, but to my knowledge it's still unnamed.
Its color scheme reminds me the MSV-R depiction of the
Nelson class, but I'm rather sure that the aspect of the bow with that twin "muzzle thing" is taken from a ship seen at the beginning of the manga Mobile Suit Gundam Ixtab: Goddess of the Fallen Soldiers (which by the way is settled exactly during the One Week War around Side 2 colony Island Iffish...)
Deathzealot

Huh. Well I believed it looked like something from SBY with that bow, which got mashed with a UC Salamis Class somehow. Also wasn't the color scheme of the Nelson Class supposed to be the pre-war Federation Space Fleet colors before the war. I remember reading that somewhere?

Also, what in the world are those space craft that Rambal Ral and his team destroy a few seconds earlier? Are they the same craft used by the Federation in Episode Four alongside the Guncannon Carrier Vessel, or are they different?