New Code Geass sequel announced, recaps for 2017

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
wielder

New Code Geass sequel announced, recaps for 2017

WARNING: Spoilers for the ending of Code Geass R2 are inevitable here.

This was announced at the 10th anniversary event.

News are still developing, but here's the gist of it.
-Set several years after Zero Requiem
-Not confirmed whether it's a TV series or a movie
-MC is Lelouch
-Director: "It's a sequel"
-3 summary movies to be released January 2017 with new scenes
Sunrise announced at the Code Geass 10th Anniversary event on Sunday that the franchise is getting its "next project," as well as a three-part compilation anime film series.

The next project is titled Code Geass: Fukkatsu no Lelouch (Code Geass: Lelouch of the Resurrection), but the announcement did not reveal the format of the project.

The three-part film series will recap all 50 episodes of the original Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion series and the Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion R2 sequel series. The cast are re-recording all their lines for the films, and the films will include new scenes. The first film will open in 2017.
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... gy/.109224

http://otakomu.jp/archives/461850.html

Hmm...I assume only the first of those movies will come out by early 2017?

I have mixed feelings about this, to be quite honest, but I am definitely going to watch. I am curious about whether the staff is going to change or not though.

On the one hand, I've always thought that Code Geass didn't need a sequel after the ending of R2. It feel right. If the new project turns out to be disappointing, I will just have to pretend it never happened and stick with that conclusion.

On the other hand, this does allow them to explore what kind of fallout and unforeseen consequences resulted from Zero Requiem.

It's also possible those compilation movies will "fix" or at least avoid some of the issues with the original plot and cover up holes in the process (plus maybe include elements from Oz or Akito too).

The title is apparently "Lelouch of the Resurrection" or something along those lines, so they might come up with a radical new way to bring him back
Last edited by wielder on Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Soul Eater, the True Rune
AmuroNT1

Re: New Code Geass sequel announced, recaps for 2017

"Lelouch of the Resurrection"? Does that mean he's going to come back wearing a golden Zero costume and have a well-animated but unsatisfying fight with a blue-haired Suzaku? :P

I'm wary of this idea at the moment, but part of me is glad to see all the idiots who whined about how "pretty" the end of the series was and insisted that Lelouch's peace would collapse in a matter of months get proven wrong.
Sakuya: "Whatever. Stop lying and give up your schemes, now."
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

-Touhou 07.5 ~ Immaterial and Missing Power
JulieYBM

AmuroNT1 wrote:"Lelouch of the Resurrection"? Does that mean he's going to come back wearing a golden Zero costume and have a well-animated but unsatisfying fight with a blue-haired Suzaku? :P

I'm wary of this idea at the moment, but part of me is glad to see all the idiots who whined about how "pretty" the end of the series was and insisted that Lelouch's peace would collapse in a matter of months get proven wrong.
Well-animated? Yamamuro Tadayoshi's storyboarding and animation corrections were terrible. :( To say nothing of the CG.

I just hope we get to keep 2D mechanical animation and great titty animation.
She/Her
Dark Duel

After the absolute trainwreck that was the latter half of R2, I am extremely leery of more Geass, and I am especially annoyed that they are resurrecting Lelouch. Because honestly, IMO there were a lot of possible directions they could have taken with a Geass sequel that didn't involve pulling a Neo.
I wasn't all that impressed with what I did see of the CG in Akito, so I do hope that this sequel, like the first series and R2, uses traditional animation as much as possible.

I will at least give this a chance, but my expectations are not high.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
wielder

Dark Duel wrote:After the absolute trainwreck that was the latter half of R2, I am extremely leery of more Geass, and I am especially annoyed that they are resurrecting Lelouch. Because honestly, IMO there were a lot of possible directions they could have taken with a Geass sequel that didn't involve pulling a Neo.
I wasn't all that impressed with what I did see of the CG in Akito, so I do hope that this sequel, like the first series and R2, uses traditional animation as much as possible.

I will at least give this a chance, but my expectations are not high.
Keeping expectations low is always wise. That much is a completely rational approach.

I don't really think R2 was an "absolute trainwreck" though, for various reasons, but I can agree it was messy and inferior to the first series. The time slot change made them waste a lot of time which the last half of the story definitely needed.

However, the surrounding circumstances have changed so it isn't that reasonable to use any precedent from literally eight years ago in order to try and estimate what will happen in 2017 or 2018. Each production will have its content and quality determined by various factors, including but not limited to how much time they have to plan any of this.

It isn't really "pulling a Neo" given that the situation was always more open-ended in here, regardless of certain claims to the contrary. Despite personally preferring him to remain dead, I was never opposed to considering the alternative.

I never did sit down and compile the full list of "non-Code related indications that Lelouch could be alive" (which would even include a certain "C.C. with Lelouch" scene from the otherwise fluffy picture drama that Goro Taniguchi wrote two years ago, Turn 12.06), but it seems unnecessary at this point. They already have things equivalent to magic and immortality powers in the world of Code Geass, so it wouldn't be a matter of erasing a helmet and then pretending death never happened in the first place.

I liked the 3DCG in Akito, among other things, but I would also prefer to see traditional mecha this time. Still, it may literally depend on whether or not Sunrise has enough talented animators free from Gundam work at the time. What I am more concerned about is whether they will find a way to come up with tactically interesting scenarios and not just fly around shooting beams, which was a problem in R2 that they mostly avoided in Akito.
Soul Eater, the True Rune
AmuroNT1

I feel like the term "trainwreck" was dragged into an alley and beaten to death by all the people whining about how much they hated R2 back when it was airing. The term has lost all meaning because of how badly it was used, abused, and mis-used almost a decade ago. I'm not saying R2 was perfect - far from it - but it sure as hell wasn't as bad as people made it out to be.

Personally, the only way I'll be okay with Lelouch being brough back is if it actually IS resurrection and part of the story is solving the mystery of who brought him back, how they did it, and why. Having him come back to life of his own free will, or revealing that he really did fake his death and hide out, would pretty well destroy his characterization from the original series for the purpose of pleasing the crying fanboys who refused to accept his death in the first place.
Sakuya: "Whatever. Stop lying and give up your schemes, now."
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

-Touhou 07.5 ~ Immaterial and Missing Power
Soma Taozi
Location: Singing 'By Your Side' to a bunch of soldiers in Club Eden.

Shhhh if you listen closely, you can hear all the people who have been claiming Lelouch has been alive for YEARS screaming in delight...

But, like in all things, I will wait and see the product before making a judgement. I personally loved Season 1 and enjoyed most of R2, so if this new season is of the same quality and deals with the resurrection appropriately, I'll probably be on-board.

Anyone know how the Japanese fans are feeling about this announcement? I never really got a good grasp about how they felt about the finale of R2 anyway, so are they excited or annoyed like some of the Western fandom?
For 2000 years I lay dormant, now I have returned to bring good cheer to you all once again!

-Me, 7/19/2020
Quiddity

I'm torn, I enjoyed both seasons quite a lot and especially liked the ending with Lelouch dying. Seeing that retconned wouldn't make me happy. Still, they wouldn't do it without him. I'm not completely opposed to sequels several years after the fact (Eureka Seven AO for example I didn't find anywhere as bad as people claim it to be), but then, I wasn't as high on the ending for the original show of that franchise.
MAHQ Staff - Dunbine, L-Gaim, Escaflowne, Ideon, Gasaraki, The Big O, Overman King Gainer, Zambot 3 and FLCL
In my search for justice, I created war. In my search for war, I created death. In my search for death... I have lost my soul.
SonicSP

Lelouch is pretty much my no 1 anime character so I'm glad to see him in a sequel, even if it spoils R2's ending a bit. Worst comes to worst I'll just pretend it ended at R2, since it was a great ending to finish things off.

Lelouch will likely just carry the show for me anyways, just like he did in some of the bad sections of R2, he just has this charasima that makes me want to follow him.
Henyo

More Geass is fine with me. i didn't find R2 to be that bad. and yeah i hope they animate the mechs in traditional animation. also, more CLAMP designs. the chances of character design changes is very very low but its still there. Digimon Tri come to mind yes? :D
MOOK: ITS A YURI FANBOY!
Amion

I find it hard to believe CLAMP won't be involved in the design process on some level.

And yes, I guess I'm one of those that thought Lelouch might somehow have survived. We'll see. The resurrection bit makes me believe he was legitimately dead, but something happened/happens to restore him to life.

Could be that some Geas recipient ends up having the power to bring back the dead, maybe? And they go and use it on one of the best tacticians in modern times (who's body isn't probably decayed yet and could be well preserved?) The magic-related possibilities are endless, so all we have to do is question whether or not the creators are up to the job of recreating season 1's charm or not...
They don't know the power of a balanced vision.
SonicSP

Since this is a series where there are a few immortals walking about and how Geass users can become that, it was always a good possibility that they could bring him back for a sequel if they chose to while staying within the general rules of the series. Hell they could make him the literal carriage driver of the last scene too like some speculated.

The only gap they need to plug is why C.C. chose to keep herself alive after the immortality transfer.

Would be funny if Lelouch just shows in front of Suzaku and says "Surprise!!!! Thanks for the tears last time, but I'm alive afterall", in which case Suzaku will proceed to stab him again. And again. And again.
Dark Duel

SonicSP wrote:Would be funny if Lelouch just shows in front of Suzaku and says "Surprise!!!! Thanks for the tears last time, but I'm alive afterall", in which case Suzaku will proceed to stab him again. And again. And again.
YES! That is hilarious. I would love to see that, if only because of darkly funny that would be.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."