The Official Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans Anime Thread Mk III

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Deathzealot

Re: The Official Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans Anime Thread Mk

Hmmm... Anyone know the reason for the different style of uniforms for some of the Tekkadan Characters?
X_zoro

E08 wrote:He is part of the three new named recruits i mentioned. He has a strong fixation/obsession with Mika due to past events. Also Kudelia seems to be running around trying to help the unemployed find work.
That really strange his art and impression gives the feeling he doesn't really have an obsession, I wonder what Mika did ?
E08

Came across profiles for Cookie, Cracker and Sakura here.

Rough translations:
-The twins are studying in boarding school with support from Tekkadan. They help out in Sakura's farm during the school holidays.
-Sakura is running a farm together with Tekkadan. As suggested by Kudelia, an orphanage is built on the same plot of land.
YokozunaBulldozer

Funny how another
Spoiler
super sentai alumni replaces last season's super sentai alumni
for Gjallarhorn.
SIXSHOT HAS NO GAME AGAINST SEVEN CHANGER
LightningCount

Thought I'd report in regarding my thoughts after Episodes 9-14 on Toonami. As promised by members of this forum, this stretch was pretty much a slog. Overall, the series went from average with shades of above average to just plain mediocre in my opinion. I can see that, in a way, they're trying to do something like the quiet, humanistic development of of a show like Gargantia; but it's just coming off as really awkward and uneven more often that not. There were a few spots, particularly in Episodes 9, 10, and 14 that made things tolerable and even interesting, but that's about it. I liked the introduction of the Brewers--a space pirate group involved in a conspiracy--but like Teiwaz--a space mafia with political influence--what followed after the bombastic introduction was pretty bland. While I suppose this show is ultimately aimed at younger viewers, I'm often surprised at how it handles itself with a fair amount of comedy and moe/chibi-style hijinks that are almost more Tenchi Muyo than Gundam (not that Gundam can't explore new things, but this has been sort of silly and off-putting for me). And the weight of the more serious stuff just hasn't had as much impact somehow. Kudelia, so far, has shown herself to be more Marina than Relena in terms of plot usage, and her behavior sometimes seems exaggerated below her age; or if not age, then her political ambitions and reputation. I suppose they're just trying to humanize her, but it's an uneven exchange in terms of her character development, or even defining her character in the plot. It's not exactly unwatchable, but I'd just like some more balance.

I've developed some level of affection for the characters, but not as much as I probably should have given the time spent on them rather than big plot movements or action pieces. A lot just feel like stylized cogs, even when they go out of their way to show them. The minimal stuff with Gjallarhorn has been holding this ship together for me, but even that has been sort of strange and vague in terms of its focus.

But then we come to Episode 14, which I've heard is one of the turning points. I have to say the change of location has been a breath of fresh air, and though the hijinks continued, there was some interesting character developments. Mind you, Fumitan as a spy was something that could be seen from the start, but how will she handle it now; and what's with Biscuit's bro. And the real payoff was the total surprise that Orga and friends just casually, unwittingly helped support and start a full-on rebellion. That's the most clever development in some time, and it has given me some hope going forward for an interesting plot.

I may add a few more thoughts later, but that's all I've got for now.
My Mecha/Scifi Novels: https://www.goodreads.com/series/168677 ... -war-arm-x
"May you rest in peace, the betrayed and outraged Milliardo Peacecraft."
Most-Wanted Gundam Anime: Episode Zero, Blue Destiny, Rise from the Ashes, Crossbone
Amion

Glad you're still bent on finishing it, Count. :) The 14-15 episode mark is where we go over the Brewer hump. Kudelia starts acting her political role more beyond this point, consistently. I wouldn't expect world-changing on a bombastic Relena scale, but there's definitely moments.

As for fighting, all I can say is warn you that there really are only two battles beyond this worth mentioning, and definitely one of the unbalanced things.

Truth be told, I'd love for some of these new anime staffers to take some lessons from their predecessors. Them older anime could stretch their twenty minutes to sometimes amazing degrees. Okada cannot, if her other works are any indication.
They don't know the power of a balanced vision.
E08

Here's the S2 character page on the english site.
Kuruni

S2 start pretty strong. Atra's narrative note how things get better for them, but also how the PD world as whole seem to get worse.

Hush stand out among new guy (he sort of look like Argi from side story). He seem to be glory hound but now realize that actual battle isn't all cool. Although we don't see much of him yet I guess it would be change soon.

Good to see Dexter is still with the group and seem to happy with it now.

Again, Cookie and Cracker are much more cute XD . That being said, they're clearly get much worse mentally.

Finally get to see the rest of Seven Stars, guess Issue House is gone completely. Of the group, Rustal is clearly the biggest target to McGillis. I hope he can prove to be a match to our resident Char.

"Ryusei-dan". I actually chuckle at that.

Checked the official website, no commander Garm Rodi yet. Oh well. But the Brewers kid are now Artland.
My girlfriend was a loli.
Outlaw

26 was an OK episode. Running around trying to set up everything made it feel a little rushed, but not disjointedly so. Glad to have some new Gundam back.
"“As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up reasons to kill one another."
yazi88

I enjoyed this opening episode, its a bit rushed with a good number of exposition, but that's to be expected after coming back from a break from both broadcast and in-universe time skip.

Although its interesting that it has parallels with 00 S2's 1st episode, but here we learn that Tekkadan is at a advantage and in a stronger position while Gjarrhorn is in a weaker position than season 1. Its kind of the opposite of 00 where Celestial Being was in the weaker position, while Earth's government/A-Laws/Ribbons was in the stronger position.

But with similarities to 00 S2, the world is more dangerous now because Gjarrhorn's defeat and Tekkadan's uprising caused a escalation of child soldiers and more mobile suit production at hands of 3rd party groups.
battletech

As opening episodes go it was well done. Opening episodes are the hardest to do. People like to judge a whole show or season on first episodes. Did Artra's voice sound a little older to anyone else? If it's not just my imagination or memory flop then I love that. It really shows the voice actors skill.
"The souls of Man are weighed down by gravity." - Char Aznable
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.-Clarke
LightningCount

Watched Episodes 15-16 of IBO Season 1 on Toonami. Episode 15 was so-so, but Episode 16 was probably about as close to "above average" or "excellent" that this series has gotten in a long time. While the Fumitan situation got laid on almost too thick at points, the overall execution of the episode's political plot and its intersecting personal stories was perhaps done better than anything else in this series so far. It's pretty late in the game, though, and I'm not willing to say this fixes everything. While it's been watchable, nothing about this series has really made it collectable yet. As a whole, I think Season 1 of IBO has only been about the level of Gundam 00 Season 2, give or take.
My Mecha/Scifi Novels: https://www.goodreads.com/series/168677 ... -war-arm-x
"May you rest in peace, the betrayed and outraged Milliardo Peacecraft."
Most-Wanted Gundam Anime: Episode Zero, Blue Destiny, Rise from the Ashes, Crossbone
SNT1

It's ok for an opener. My main gripe is that it's almost too much like the S1 opener: Introducing the good guys again, tooling around, another job with Ms Maiden of Revolution, bad guys attack, mobile worker fight, then mobile suits appear, then Gundam, while McGillis twirls his proverbial bad guy mustache.

On the positive side, looks like we're guaranteed two straight episodes of mecha action :mrgreen: Sounds like a silly positive, but with last season having dedicated episodes to cliched ANIME HIJINKS and no battles... Hopefully they learned their lesson.
(>-.-)>-} >>---> \(x.x)/
zetatype

Overall a solid start to S2. Its very reminiscent of S1's first episode but with some variations. New OP is also looking good cant wait to see the full version next week as well as the new Barbatos in action.
X_zoro

in other news https://www.facebook.com/SunriseInt...6 ... =3&theater I wonder what it means ? also @LightningCount I'm gonna have to disagree with you on this one episode 15 was done better then episode 16 only because Biscuit is such a good character and isn't an anime cliche troupe that must fat anime characters have ( eating every 5 secs ) but then again IBO or Gundam in general have always had very human characters, so I guess my argument doesn't really hold lol.
Amion

Hmm, the next half of IBO looks to be impressive. There's more than enough buildup, and we are progressing at a nice pace already, with a juicy bit of Barbatos Lupus, too. Only time will tell if things are going keep up this pacing, I guess.
YokozunaBulldozer

So far no problems. Looking forward to the next episode.
That masked man in the opening clip played at the end though... I wonder if it is:
1. Gaelio
2. Ein
3. McGillis
4. Totally new character
SIXSHOT HAS NO GAME AGAINST SEVEN CHANGER
Amion

I'm pretty sure it's Galileo. It would be a shame and odd case if it were a totally new character or, heaven forbid, Chocolate-san. The Vidar is in the background, which points to Gali. As for Ein, I think he's definitely a goner.
Dark Duel

Masked Man is almost certainly Gali-Gali - the color scheme of the Vidar on its own makes it fairly obvious, IMO. I very much doubt it would be Chocolate-san, b/c the clip also shows his custom Graze Ritter, so I would be very surprised if it were him.

I finally did see the episode last night(so late!), and I have to agree that it's very similar in feel to the first episode of the first season, but with enough differences that it feels fresh despite the familiarity.
The Shiden's a nice machine and it was cool seeing it in action, but it's also nice to see that MWs aren't going the way of the dodo, which is too often the case IMO with non-humanoid units in these series.

Finally, I will say this: Doesn't quite have the "punch" of his grand debut in S1E1, but boy, Mika still knows how to make an AWESOME entrance!
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
Amion

I disagree, I think Mika's intro was more enjoyable in this season, dropping from orbit with Berserk Mace-sword in hand.