The Official Gundam Build Fighters Try Anime Thread Mk-V

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Post Reply
User avatar
Yaminoseigi
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:50 am

Re: The Official Gundam Build Fighters Try Anime Thread Mk-V

Post by Yaminoseigi » Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:03 pm

While i like GBF since it never takes itself seriously, i will never get myself to like Try because it is takes opposite direction of its prequel by being Tryhard. The worst part of try for me is that protagonist teams are bunch of munchkins and powergaming through the obstacles which just makes everything boring. I can understand the short time limit limits the options for Try but i just despise the practice done by Bandai and Sunrise for killing potentials for short term gain.

User avatar
YokozunaBulldozer
Posts: 692
Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:52 pm

Re: The Official Gundam Build Fighters Try Anime Thread Mk-V

Post by YokozunaBulldozer » Sun Aug 21, 2016 6:46 am

Gundam Build Fighters TRY ISLAND WARS random thoughts and ramblings
Spoiler
Show
It was fun to see the gang return for a summer special.
I was a little sad that Kamiki Burning only appeared once in TRY so I was satisfied to see it do a little more this time.
Lightning's fresh new Jordache seems to resemble AGE-2 Normal considering it has the subname Strider added and doesn't look too bad.
It is great to see Yuuma no longer be the tormented soul he used to be and just enjoy life and Gyanko and Shia and Fumina's "Newtype chat" had me laughing.
Minato's love and admiration for Fumina is in tact as I hoped giving us the Titans maid which I sorta had a hunch that it was bound to happen. The battle scenes where they just went Dynasty Warriors on the horde of gunplas was quite the sight, and the final attack against Scramble where they none other than summon the unexpected(and recently had the honor of being no.400 in the SD gunpla lineup)
KNIGHT SUPERIOR DRAGON was so beautiful it was as if Optimus Prime came back from the dead bigger and better during the final act of Transformers The Movie complete with Stan Bush's "The Touch" playing in the background and ended Unicron alongside Hot Rod with a double gekigan flare.

And then as the special wraps up the final reveal where we learn the mystery girl is INDEED the child of Reiji and Aila got me going "THE MEAT BUN CHRONICLES LIVES ON! LONG LIVE KING REIJI AND QUEEN AILA!". The hair color and the whole incident was quite the giveaway but great to see that Reiji and Aila are doing well and living happily ever after.

Overall the story was nothing grand, but was nice extra material that follows up with how everyone is doing. Scramble I felt was a tad weak, it sure did stir up a frenzy with the crystals but I think the design was bit mediocre for what its role was.
If I may go into hopes and dreams mode for a moment, I do hope we get a few more of these specials in the future but I guess that will be up to the ratings and the gunpla sales.
Anyways, good stuff and I hope we get to see Mao and Sei and China and Ricardo in future specials if they ever make more.
SIXSHOT HAS NO GAME AGAINST SEVEN CHANGER

User avatar
balofo
Posts: 2459
Joined: Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:45 pm

Re: The Official Gundam Build Fighters Try Anime Thread Mk-V

Post by balofo » Sun Aug 21, 2016 12:54 pm

All that QUALITY, Sunrise doesn't even care anymore...

As expected it was as bad the TV series.

So the Transient Gundam Glacier will be for the BF OVA?

User avatar
SpideyWing
Posts: 40
Joined: Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:21 pm

Re: The Official Gundam Build Fighters Try Anime Thread Mk-V

Post by SpideyWing » Sun Aug 21, 2016 2:51 pm

So, I watched Island Wars this morning (my time) and here are some of my thoughts:
Spoiler
Show
I'm glad they got the harem antics out of the way right at the beginning; I don't mind them overall, but it's not one of my favorite aspects of TRY. That said, I loved that we got expressive characters again; Build Fighters had a very expressive cast, and that aspect was dropped as TRY went on. I was very glad to see it return.

The action was pretty good; I love a good running battle, and they delivered on it pretty well. I mean, it had quite a bit of giant energy blasts and colored lines making explosions in the background, but when they got to the Psycho Gundams it was glorious: The Bearguy Pretty getting more Jigen Haoh glory was great, and the ZZ II got a small moment too. Finally, the Scramble Gundam...it's nice, but it didn't get that much screentime. It's more of a Musha Gundam-type boss, I guess. The New Winning Road was silly, but AWESOME. I mean, it's just that kind of crazy team attack that makes no logical sense, but is awesome, that we got from G Gundam. I mean, the crystal out of control is straight out of BF, but considering that was used to justify one last major action scene in that show, too, I'm willing to give its reuse here a pass.

Finally, the elephant in the room...or the daughter of the elephant in the room. Reiji's and Aila's kid. Yeah, most of the story could have been avoided if she asked for help early, but it seems like she wanted to surprise her parents with her first Gunpla. At least, that's my takeaway.
Overall, Island Wars stands up with the best episodes of TRY; good action, humor, and some heartwarming. This represents TRY as TRY became: a Shounen anime with Gunpla, compared to Build Fighters Gundam anime with Shounen. Is one better than the other? That will really depend on each viewer, but I like both pretty equally for different reasons.
Signature to be determined later...look! A Puppy!

User avatar
Wingnut
Posts: 6413
Joined: Sun Mar 05, 2006 7:44 pm
Location: Detroit, MI
Contact:

Re: The Official Gundam Build Fighters Try Anime Thread Mk-V

Post by Wingnut » Sun Aug 21, 2016 3:56 pm

balofo wrote:Blah blah blah
:roll: Put a sock in it, Captain Killjoy. No one cares anymore about your taking a dump on everything Gundam these days.

I for one enjoyed this. It wasn't the pinnacle of Gundam animation or storytelling, but it wasn't supposed to be. It is an add-on OVA and it works great in that regard. From Yuuma skipping out on the test piloting to hang with Mirai to
Spoiler
Show
the spawn of the Meatbun Chronicles
this OVA handled itself well enough to be entertaining.

The end scene had me tearing up a bit with joy at seeing the future of one of the best parts of the original expanded upon on screen instead of just hinted at like things often were in the TRY series.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.

User avatar
balofo
Posts: 2459
Joined: Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:45 pm

Re: The Official Gundam Build Fighters Try Anime Thread Mk-V

Post by balofo » Sun Aug 21, 2016 4:11 pm

Try and this special are objectively bad, you are entitled to your opinion, though.

Not my fault they only produce bad products in these past few years

User avatar
Compass
Posts: 1054
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2007 1:29 pm

Re: The Official Gundam Build Fighters Try Anime Thread Mk-V

Post by Compass » Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:47 pm

This was a nice wrap-up for fans.
Watching: Black Bullet, The World is Still Beautiful, Brynhildr in the Darkness, Captain Earth, The Irregular at Magic High School
Quick Picks that ended Last Season: Gundam Build Fighters!!! Buddy Complex

User avatar
Wingnut
Posts: 6413
Joined: Sun Mar 05, 2006 7:44 pm
Location: Detroit, MI
Contact:

Re: The Official Gundam Build Fighters Try Anime Thread Mk-V

Post by Wingnut » Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:54 pm

balofo wrote:objectively
Really...

Given your history you are one of the LAST people to talk as if they are being objective about a Gundam show.
Compass wrote:This was a nice wrap-up for fans.
Rumor has it that more episodes in a similar vein will be made. Not many though, maybe 2 I think if I have my rumors right.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.

User avatar
YokozunaBulldozer
Posts: 692
Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:52 pm

Re: The Official Gundam Build Fighters Try Anime Thread Mk-V

Post by YokozunaBulldozer » Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:07 pm

Wingnut wrote:
balofo wrote:objectively
Really...

Given your history you are one of the LAST people to talk as if they are being objective about a Gundam show.
Compass wrote:This was a nice wrap-up for fans.
Rumor has it that more episodes in a similar vein will be made. Not many though, maybe 2 I think if I have my rumors right.
Sure hope so. I want to see how Mao and Ricardo are doing.
SIXSHOT HAS NO GAME AGAINST SEVEN CHANGER

User avatar
balofo
Posts: 2459
Joined: Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:45 pm

Re: The Official Gundam Build Fighters Try Anime Thread Mk-V

Post by balofo » Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:09 pm

Sure, we can't compare animation, writing, battle choreography, budget, OST, mech/chara designs, etc objectively...

The only acceptable thing you could say is that you like Try but admit it's has lots of problems and therefore ranks low in the franchise

User avatar
SpideyWing
Posts: 40
Joined: Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:21 pm

Re: The Official Gundam Build Fighters Try Anime Thread Mk-V

Post by SpideyWing » Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:37 pm

balofo wrote:Try and this special are objectively bad, you are entitled to your opinion, though.

Not my fault they only produce bad products in these past few years
"You keep using that word; I do not think it means what you think it means."

Let's begin with defining objectivity: "Generally, objectivity means the state or quality of being true even outside of a subject's individual biases, interpretations, feelings, and imaginings" according to Wikipedia. In practical parlance, we generally use it to represent ideas that can be backed up using solid figures: numbers, data, properly derived equations, etc.

Let's break this down using the only metric Bandai cares about at the end of the day: Sales figures. According to Bandai's annual earnings info, fiscal 2013 Gundam sales were 65.2 billion Yen. This constitutes all of Build Fighters' run. As for Try, which aired during fiscal year 2014, Gundam sales were...80.2 billion Yen; an increase of 18.7%, if my math is correct. Since we see that there was a large uptick in sales, we next have to look at what was airing w.r.t Gundam in those years.

Those shows were for FY 2013: Unicorn, Gundam-san, and Build Fighters. Now, UC is always going to be a good seller, but Unicorn had been airing for a long time; plus, Gundam-san (as far as I know) had no merch to move, so we can discount it. So, I think it's safe to say that with Unicorn on the way out, Build Fighters most likely accounted for the increase in sales from FY 2012.

Now, for FY 2014: Try and Recon-G. The latter released 17 kits in its HG line, and no MG. As for Try, they released roughly the same number of kits within the same timeframe, and are still releasing new kits.

The main issue here is that I don't have full access to what lines sold the most, but the final figures are telling; combined with the fact that Try got a TV special before BF did, and it's fairly clear to see that Bandai considers Try to be more successful than Build Fighters.

So, now we return to the definition of objectivity presented earlier: true results free from personal feelings. Based on the presented information, we can conclude that Build Fighters Try is objectively better than Build Fighters. As for the subjective? Well, that's entirely personal opinion. I love both shows for different reasons.

Works Cited:
Wikipedia page for Objectivity
Wikipedia page for Gundam
https://www.bandainamco.co.jp/ir/librar ... annual.pdf
Signature to be determined later...look! A Puppy!

User avatar
balofo
Posts: 2459
Joined: Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:45 pm

Re: The Official Gundam Build Fighters Try Anime Thread Mk-V

Post by balofo » Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:41 pm

SpideyWing wrote:
balofo wrote:Try and this special are objectively bad, you are entitled to your opinion, though.

Not my fault they only produce bad products in these past few years
"You keep using that word; I do not think it means what you think it means."

Let's begin with defining objectivity: "Generally, objectivity means the state or quality of being true even outside of a subject's individual biases, interpretations, feelings, and imaginings" according to Wikipedia. In practical parlance, we generally use it to represent ideas that can be backed up using solid figures: numbers, data, properly derived equations, etc.

Let's break this down using the only metric Bandai cares about at the end of the day: Sales figures. According to Bandai's annual earnings info, fiscal 2013 Gundam sales were 65.2 billion Yen. This constitutes all of Build Fighters' run. As for Try, which aired during fiscal year 2014, Gundam sales were...80.2 billion Yen; an increase of 18.7%, if my math is correct. Since we see that there was a large uptick in sales, we next have to look at what was airing w.r.t Gundam in those years.

Those shows were for FY 2013: Unicorn, Gundam-san, and Build Fighters. Now, UC is always going to be a good seller, but Unicorn had been airing for a long time; plus, Gundam-san (as far as I know) had no merch to move, so we can discount it. So, I think it's safe to say that with Unicorn on the way out, Build Fighters most likely accounted for the increase in sales from FY 2012.

Now, for FY 2014: Try and Recon-G. The latter released 17 kits in its HG line, and no MG. As for Try, they released roughly the same number of kits within the same timeframe, and are still releasing new kits.

The main issue here is that I don't have full access to what lines sold the most, but the final figures are telling; combined with the fact that Try got a TV special before BF did, and it's fairly clear to see that Bandai considers Try to be more successful than Build Fighters.

So, now we return to the definition of objectivity presented earlier: true results free from personal feelings. Based on the presented information, we can conclude that Build Fighters Try is objectively better than Build Fighters. As for the subjective? Well, that's entirely personal opinion. I love both shows for different reasons.

Works Cited:
Wikipedia page for Objectivity
Wikipedia page for Gundam
https://www.bandainamco.co.jp/ir/librar ... annual.pdf
You wasted time typing just to say sales=quality?

User avatar
SpideyWing
Posts: 40
Joined: Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:21 pm

Re: The Official Gundam Build Fighters Try Anime Thread Mk-V

Post by SpideyWing » Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:48 pm

balofo wrote:You wasted time typing just to say sales=quality?
No; I used my time to point out that quality is subjective.
Signature to be determined later...look! A Puppy!

User avatar
Wingnut
Posts: 6413
Joined: Sun Mar 05, 2006 7:44 pm
Location: Detroit, MI
Contact:

Re: The Official Gundam Build Fighters Try Anime Thread Mk-V

Post by Wingnut » Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:53 pm

balofo wrote:Sure, we can't compare animation, writing, battle choreography, budget, OST, mech/chara designs, etc objectively...
Of course we can. Theoretically at least. But I see you doing none of the above. All you've done is bitch about how bad the OVA supposedly is.
The only acceptable thing you could say is that you like Try but admit it's has lots of problems and therefore ranks low in the franchise
And here you've gone past the line of no return and surrendered your objectivity completely, if you had any to begin with. Your opinion does not equal fact. Deal with it.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.

User avatar
balofo
Posts: 2459
Joined: Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:45 pm

Re: The Official Gundam Build Fighters Try Anime Thread Mk-V

Post by balofo » Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:57 pm

SpideyWing wrote:
balofo wrote:You wasted time typing just to say sales=quality?
No; I used my time to point out that quality is subjective.
Taste is subjective, son. Quality is rational when comparing 2 products using the same aspect, so it's safe to say Try has horrible animation/battle choregraphy/writing/characters/etc.

Implying I care someone likes Try, IBO, Origin, etc.

User avatar
Gone Astray
Posts: 351
Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:39 pm

Re: The Official Gundam Build Fighters Try Anime Thread Mk-V

Post by Gone Astray » Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:13 pm

balofo wrote:
SpideyWing wrote:
balofo wrote:You wasted time typing just to say sales=quality?
No; I used my time to point out that quality is subjective.
Taste is subjective, son. Quality is rational when comparing 2 products using the same aspect, so it's safe to say Try has horrible animation/battle choregraphy/writing/characters/etc.

Implying I care someone likes Try, IBO, Origin, etc.
Anyone familiar with any of the threads regarding current Gundam series knows you come in solely to complain about how awful each of these series are, and yet you leap to provide news and hastily translated articles regarding them; and so the question on my mind is, why? If you're so disappointed in everything out lately, why do you always keep coming back with news and with your base, blanket assertions of "this sucks, the franchise is clearly dying" that you always fail to elaborate upon? If you're just trolling, well, congratulations on the dedication to providing us with a lot of attitude and the same info we can get from sites like Gundam Guy.

In short: Cram it.

This was totally a commercial for new toys, and it definitely succeeds in that regard. The story is a little weak, but it's a quick little follow up to the main characters of GBF and Try, and it overall just aims to be fun, which I can appreciate—so it also keeps the spirit of the series going. Definitely worth checking out for some lighthearted fare before we get more of IBO's grimness.
"For who would lose, though full of pain, this intellectual being--those thoughts that wander through eternity; to perish rather, swallowed up and lost in the wide womb of uncreated night, devoid of sense and motion?"

User avatar
balofo
Posts: 2459
Joined: Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:45 pm

Re: The Official Gundam Build Fighters Try Anime Thread Mk-V

Post by balofo » Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:15 pm

Gone Astray wrote:and the same info we can get from sites like Gundam Guy.
Hahhahahahahaha, someone hold me!

User avatar
X_zoro
Posts: 89
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:01 am

Re: The Official Gundam Build Fighters Try Anime Thread Mk-V

Post by X_zoro » Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:41 pm

Honestly Try was just doing what it dose best just being silly and fun, I don't see the issue and lately to me Sunrise has been more open and honest with us fans, even having their own Facebook and we get to have a world premiere for a main Gundam anime, pretty sure the old sunrise would never do that in a million years saying " the west doesn't care why should we put effort on a market that doesn't exist"
so @balofo when you say "they only produce bad products in these past few years" I'm gonna have to question you as an individual.

User avatar
balofo
Posts: 2459
Joined: Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:45 pm

Re: The Official Gundam Build Fighters Try Anime Thread Mk-V

Post by balofo » Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:00 am

Last 10 years? Only Stargazer, 00 S1 and BF can be considered at least average rest is either meh or pure trash like IGLOO Apocalypse/2, AGE, OO S2, OO Movie, Try, IBO(Season 2 is gonna suck too, sorry).

Honorable mention to the mecha porn in UC and Thunderbolt.

Manga-wise GOL and Rebellion are pretty good retellings.

Try is garbage in every department, I don't understand people saying it has any redeeming quality. You can like it all you want but it will never have good writing/characters/animation/choreography/etc.

People need to learn the difference between facts(QUALITY in this special) and opinions(Hey dude I think Sekai is a great character when he's a badly written joke).

User avatar
ShadowCell
Moderator
Posts: 5474
Joined: Sun Mar 05, 2006 12:59 pm
Location: California
Contact:

Re: The Official Gundam Build Fighters Try Anime Thread Mk-V

Post by ShadowCell » Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:24 am

alright, balofo, knock it off. fun fact, your evaluation of something's quality is also subjective, and the fact that sometimes in a broken-clock-like manner your subjective evaluation of something's quality either lines up with or directly opposes the general consensus does not thereby make your evaluation objective, i.e. true independent of any observer. QED ipso facto e pluribus unum shut up now.

i didn't watch Build Fighters Try and i don't really care what anyone thinks about it but seriously, as you say, do us all a favor and go learn the difference between facts and opinions before you spout off about it to others.

let that be the end of it.

Post Reply