The Official Macross Delta Anime Thread Mk I

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Areku

Re: The Official Macross Delta Anime Thread Mk I

They probably went with "M" because it's an incredibly common first letter for female characters' prominent names in Macross, intentionally obfuscating efforts to identify the person if it's even someone we already know in the first place.

Minmay, Misa, Milia, Myung, Mao, and half of the Jenius kids, just to name the more important ones. And who knows, maybe it's a formerly male character, there are almost as many "M" males. Or the "M" is a meaningless codename because "M" is a significant letter even in-universe.

On the matter of un-masking the mortal who made and maintains the mysterious and magnanimous moniker "Lady M", there's meager material to make meaningful musings.

...Sorry, I couldn't moderate myself - err, help it.
pirx

Wingnut wrote:
pirx wrote:And again - who is "Lady M"???
Judi Dench. :P
Good one! :mrgreen:
Dark Duel

Areku wrote:On the matter of un-masking the mortal who made and maintains the mysterious and magnanimous moniker "Lady M", there's meager material to make meaningful musings.

...Sorry, I couldn't moderate myself - err, help it.
Hey, when you launch into a five-minute monologue in which more or less every other word starts with the letter "M", then you can apologize. Though I'll still probably congratulate you for pulling that one off anyway :P
pirx wrote:
Wingnut wrote:
pirx wrote:And again - who is "Lady M"???
Judi Dench. :P
Good one! :mrgreen:
Agree :lol:
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
Soma Taozi
Location: Singing 'By Your Side' to a bunch of soldiers in Club Eden.

"I'll be you guy's 'cat'astrophic repaws team."

Oh dear god!!!!

Dead. I'm dead.

RIP SOMA TAOZI
She liked cats and puns.

EDIT: On a more serious note, anyone else feel the 'singing to uplift the civilian's spirits via an impromptu concert' is a little overdone? Sheryl did the exact same thing during Frontier and yes, the situation was different and yes she was in a shelter...but I still feel that it was a little cliche and predictable. I knew the entire episode they were going to have a concert, so I was just waiting for them to do it.
For 2000 years I lay dormant, now I have returned to bring good cheer to you all once again!

-Me, 7/19/2020
Dark Duel

I've been listening to Bokura no Senjō on more or less constant loop all evening, so maybe it's just me, but it honestly didn't bother me that much. I mean, they're pop idols - it's sort of what they do.
Was it mildly cliché? Perhaps. Did it evoke a strong sense of déjà-vu? Absolutely.
But the songs for this series - bar the first ED and one insert song, which weren't really to my taste - have been IMO fairly consistently great(Bokura no Senjō, obviously, being my current favorite).

As for the rest of the episode, not much to say. Though the absolutely hilariously awkward positioning of the Macross Elysion when it docked...I don't get it.
I mean, Battle 7, Battle 25, they docked, in carrier mode, in front of the Island. What's wrong with that? Instead, we have...
I dunno.
That's my only real criticism of this episode. Other than that, I loved it.

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
Compass

So, after listening to the soundtrack (came out a week or so ago) and GIRAFFE BLUES, I got to thinking about how they screwed up Messer so badly.

The most similar character to Messer from Frontier would be Michael. But, people actually cared about Michael. He was arrogant, but he was also much more "real" in his character development. He had a shtick, about being a good sniper. He might have been a butt some of the times, but you knew he was good-hearted about it and didn't keep being a butt throughout the series.

He had something to prove, his sister was a disgraced sniper, and it impacted his ability to fight. He had a love-hate relationship that didn't feel forced and was actually developed with Klan Klang. Actual tension, rather than a "Oh, you saved my life so I'll protect you" almost brother/sister relationship like.

And he died protecting her in such a way that we actually got heartstrings tickled when he died. When he was referenced later in the series, it felt appropriate that his equipment was being used, rather than an almost "Oh, by the way!" thing.

And then his spontaneous survival in the movie, which to this day is one of the main reasons why I like the movie over the series, because I felt like both he and Klan Klang deserved the happy ending.

Here, Messer, be a butt for 7 episodes, disrespect the main character, make a rough attempt at relationship/pity backstory, and killed off.
Watching: Black Bullet, The World is Still Beautiful, Brynhildr in the Darkness, Captain Earth, The Irregular at Magic High School
Quick Picks that ended Last Season: Gundam Build Fighters!!! Buddy Complex
Dark Duel

I've been listening to Bokura no Senjō pretty much on continuous loop, myself.
As for Messer...y'know, I'd never given it that much thought, but you're right.
Of course, IIRC Michael was around for most of the show(Wasn't his death around like, ep20 or so?), whereas Messer's offed much earlier.
Also, Michael had a sense of humor and a personality, both of which made him one of my favorite characters pretty much from the moment he showed up.
Whereas Messer's...pretty much just a surly jerk.
It's definitely a wasted opportunity, but unfortunately that's the way the cookie crumbles.

Arbiter GUNDAM

I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
Iris Scope

Stupid Wikipedia, made me confuse Marianne with Elizabeth when I commented on the prior episode's Ragnyannyan casualty.

Loved the humor in making Hayate and Mirage's attempts at connecting the power sound like suggestive themes to everyone who was listening in on radios alone. :mrgreen: Though Hayate must be denser than Hikaru ever was if he didn't find the whole scenario of Mirage hugging him half naked an exciting experience to put it mildly.
Dark Duel

Yeah, I get the sense - apart from the rather tense situation that they're in - that Hayate's about as clueless as to this sort of thing as 7's Nekki Basara(based on what I've seen of 7 so far), at least.
Still, it was amusing, in a way. Mirage's reaction at the end of the episode was even more hilarious though, IMO.

Destiny_Gundam

Dark Duel wrote:As for the rest of the episode, not much to say. Though the absolutely hilariously awkward positioning of the Macross Elysion when it docked...I don't get it.
I mean, Battle 7, Battle 25, they docked, in carrier mode, in front of the Island. What's wrong with that? Instead, we have...
I dunno.
The docking system was damaged, which is why they had to improvise. The positioning of it was entirely to set up the "It looks like Ragna!" bit.

Why the Macross is still visible with the sky turned on, I dunno.
Compass wrote:The most similar character to Messer from Frontier would be Michael. But, people actually cared about Michael. He was arrogant, but he was also much more "real" in his character development. He had a shtick, about being a good sniper. He might have been a butt some of the times, but you knew he was good-hearted about it and didn't keep being a butt throughout the series.
I'm the opposite. I didn't care for Michael very much as I found him to be a butt most of the time. Like the romance with Klan even less since it felt forced, especially since Klan was the only one actively pursuing anything. I always felt that, as the older sister of the two, Klan should have been above that and he should have been the one busting his ass to win her over.

Messer might have come off as a stoic (but fair) hardass, but his boyish crush on Kaname made him considerably more endearing.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
Compass

Also, has anyone considered that Marianne might still be alive? I mean, sure, she got hit by a wave and went overboard, but she's Ragnan, and they can breathe underwater, so I doubt she, you know, drowned and all that.
Watching: Black Bullet, The World is Still Beautiful, Brynhildr in the Darkness, Captain Earth, The Irregular at Magic High School
Quick Picks that ended Last Season: Gundam Build Fighters!!! Buddy Complex
Amion

From what I understand, getting hit by a powerful enough wave doesn't so much flatten as it does shred its victims. Of course, you're probably right that drowning isn't a concern for her. Her whole body may even be reinforced to resist physical stresses from water, though I don't believe any of the Ragnans have demonstrated superhuman powers at all, so I doubt she's more durable than a human would be.

I guess it depends on whether she's outlived her usefulness as a character. Perhaps if fans cry out loud enough, she shall resurface to service.
They don't know the power of a balanced vision.
Iris Scope

I do wonder besides having been the co-owner of the Ragnyannyan along with Chuck, what other category does Marianne fit into Chuck's life? I know the two children are his brothers and Elizabeth may be also a sister but I only have dumb Wikipedia to go on this and they didn't classify Marianne as another sibling to Chuck. And yeah, you're right about her maybe being resurrected if fans rally enough. I know I might.
azrael

Iris Scope wrote:I do wonder besides having been the co-owner of the Ragnyannyan along with Chuck, what other category does Marianne fit into Chuck's life? I know the two children are his brothers and Elizabeth may be also a sister but I only have dumb Wikipedia to go on this and they didn't classify Marianne as another sibling to Chuck. And yeah, you're right about her maybe being resurrected if fans rally enough. I know I might.
She is indeed Chuck's sister. They didn't say if she's older or younger than Chuck.
"I dislike death indeed, but there is that which I dislike more than death, and therefore there are occasions when I will not avoid danger."
pirx

So now we have a Kaos fleet on the run, rest of the cluster under (mind) control of Windermerans, which means they also have sizeable NUNS force. Plus Sigur Valens which they will likely upgrade to it's full potential.
Does not look good for Kaos unless they get reinforcements. Preferably from Macross Frontier/Galaxy and Eden.
^^ That is my wishful thinking, i just dislike how every new Macross series (7 being exemption) write previous series heroes off the map. After so few years Sheryl, Ranka and Alto just disappear?
And what about Ozma, Isamu etc?? They just sit somewhere inactive?
Destiny_Gundam

It's a big universe so chances are past characters have their own things to deal with.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
Wingnut

Destiny_Gundam wrote:It's a big universe so chances are past characters have their own things to deal with.
S: "ALTO! These diapers are not going to change themselves!"

Truly a terror worse than space bugs.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
Seto Kaiba

I was very enthusiastic for this series with the first few episodes, but lately it's been all downhill from there...
Spoiler
Really, REALLY not happy with the latest episode. We get some long-overdue characterization for the Aerial Knights who aren't Keith, Bogue, or Roid... but most of the episode is Roid doing his own version of Gihren's "Seig Zeon!" speech and ending with the declaration of galactic war everyone but the main cast saw coming a few light years off... and the metaphorical cherry on the sundae of bland is yet another New UN Spacy curbstomp battle where six Aerial Knights apparently destroy an entire New UN Spacy flotilla despite their having a fold jamming system to protect them from Heinz's song of the wind.

It's like we're back to the first half of Macross 7, where the protagonists don't seem to have any actual impact on events and the military's only there as a chew toy for the enemy. Macross 7's plot at least showed us that the military was actually able to send the enemy packing in a fair fight... whereas the only thing apparently standing between Windermere and galactic domination in Macross Delta is a severe case of attention deficit disorder on Keith's part.
The Macross Mecha Manual
Yes, we're working on updates...
pirx

Spoiler
Hayate's dad is Wright Immelmann. Another aviator reference. And judging from Robert's reaction (future Delta 4?) he's done something nasty.