Making Sense Of The Gallus Series

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
Gelgoog Jager

Making Sense Of The Gallus Series

As I mentioned in another thread, there's a series of odd details about this particular series of MS that make them seem somewhat out of place compared to other machines of its time period.

For instance, the basic Gallus J seems to have suffered from background changes that came along the changes ZZ itself underwent before airing. A while ago somewhat showed some obscure lineart that described the AMX-101 "energy gun" as a "beam magnum". Those round things next to the barrel, commonly believed to be missiles, would be the e-packs that would be consumed (one per shot).

Another oddity is its heavy weight: with an empty weight of 52.7 MT, it essentially is the heaviest Axis/First Neo Zeon MS, even compared to other bulkier and taller machines such as the Dreissen (36.7 MT) and Doven Wolf (36.8 MT). For further reference, the heaviest Axis/1st NZ MS are the Zaku III 44.2 MT, Geymalk 46.3 MT and ReGelg (43.7 MT). In contrast, the lightest units are the Jamru Fin (24.7 MT), Gaza D (28.7 MT) and Zssa (23.7 MT).

Considering that it's a rather simple unit with few small fixed weapons, I find it's high base weight very unusual, specially for U.C. 0088. In fact, it's weight is more similar to that of a OYW Zeon MS (Zaku, Dom, Gelgoog, etc.).

Of course I couldn't speak of the weight of the Gallus series without commenting on the Schuzrum Gallus, a machine that according to official specs weights 24.9 MT, which makes it less than half as heavy as the other Gallus models.

And speaking of the Schuzrum Gallus, despite its purpose I find ridiculous the removal of even the most essential thrusters for maneuvering by itself in space. It seems to only retain a few leg thrusters that may not be enough to allow it freely move around should it be pseudo away from the structure it may be supposed to attack or defend. Units like the MS-06K and MS-06D have received retcons over the years that gave them thrusters one way or another, so I hope the same is possible for this unit.

Back tot he Gallus J's weight, I would be willing to slash it by 15 or 20 Mt (37.7-32.7 MT) to put it in the same ballpark as other mid-weight Axis/1st Neo Zeon MS, such as the Qubeley (35.2 MT), GaZowmn (31.6 MT), R-Jarja 36.4 MT or Bawoo (34.7 MT). In those scenarios it's specs would look like:

Empty weight 37.7 MT (original 52.7)
Full weight 63.3 MT (original 78.3)
Max accel: 1.9 G (original 1.56)

Empty weight 32.7 MT (original 52.7)
Full weight 58.3 MT (original 78.3)
Max accel: 2.1 G (original 1.56)

I base this on the fact that the Gallus J doesn't mount many internal weapons, essentially just 4 missiles and supposedly ammo for its finger guns (more on that in a moment) and thus a difference of 25.6 MT between its empty weight and full weight sounds reasonable.

This takes me to the aforementioned finger guns, which I'm inclined to think that might actually have been intended to be beam weapons rather than ballistic ones, mainly due to their size, but also to actually give some use to the Gallus J's rather high generator output (2,840 kW), which otherwise seems like a major waste on a MS that doesn't seem to operate any high output beam weapons, nor have too much thrust. For what it might be worth, there's some official artwork that may support such theory:

http://gundam.wikia.com/wiki/File:Galluss-j.jpg

As mentioned in the other thread, one thing I'd would retcon about most of the Gallus series, is giving the Gallus J, Gallus K and Schuzrum Gallus beam sabers placed just like the Gallus S. The original version doesn't have a visible rack, yet does pull out beam sabers a few times. Since the ZZ Gudnam was retconned into having head vulcans, I think the same could be done to the Gallus series.

As a final note, I think that the Gallus series should have the option to freely swap equipment between its variants, such as the shoulder weapons missile launchers and magnet anchors (which I would like to think could double as shocking/electrocuting weapons) as the situation best requires. Weapons such as the GaZowmn's borrowed Hyper Knuckle Buster may also be swappable, though they require some extra work since some rear thrusters need to be removed (as in the case of the Gallus K). On the plus side, I see no reason to not equip two of them, specially considering that the Gallus has a much higher generator output than the GaZowmn and doesn't have other beam weapons that would put a strain one the generator. I imagine that it should also be possible to adapt the Zssa's shoulder missile launchers to be placed over the Gallus shoulders with some modifications.
balofo

Re: Making Sense Of The Gallus Series

That's not official art and the gunpla manual describes magazines under the missile pods so maybe some extra weight comes from there

Regarding the Beam Saber it seems to me it was added by the animators as an afterthought(not present in the old gunpla), I remember researching this and not being able to identify its shape or rack from the animation. It's like the Bound Doc's beam saber, animation only.

It's indeed a very weird machine, and I see no reason to pilot it in place of the better armed Zssa(perhaps the extra beam sabers from the Zssa are meant to be given to the Gallus...)

Since the Schuzrum Gallus kit had runner switches, maybe they planned for a modern HGUC vanilla Gallus-J release. That could answer some questions
Massignifico

Maybe the extra weight is mostly armor? If it's really meant for urban combat on earth then it's assumed it would fight mostly old units with ballistic weapons and we saw how even those in Dakar had a bad time against a Juagg.
Gelgoog Jager

balofo wrote:That's not official art and the gunpla manual describes magazines under the missile pods so maybe some extra weight comes from there
I don't think that's the case: I think the low weights of the Zssa can be attribute din part due to the exclusion of the weights of the missiles. I think it's safe to assume that the empty weight of the Gallus J doesn't include the weight of the missile cartridge either. That being said, if it does have internal magazines, I wonder how many missiles can each hold?
balofo wrote:Regarding the Beam Saber it seems to me it was added by the animators as an afterthought(not present in the old gunpla), I remember researching this and not being able to identify its shape or rack from the animation. It's like the Bound Doc's beam saber, animation only.
Agreed, that's why I was proposing just retconning the same rack from the Gallus S into other Gallus models. I mentioned the ZZ's vulcans since they were not part of the original design, but they were later retconned and basically we know assume the ZZ always had them. IIRC the MSZ-010S upgrade is in a similar spot.
balofo wrote:It's indeed a very weird machine, and I see no reason to pilot it in place of the better armed Zssa(perhaps the extra beam sabers from the Zssa are meant to be given to the Gallus...)
I know that the Gallus J and Zssa are said to have been meant to fight together, but carrying the melee weapon of the other does sound like stretch, not to mention inefficient in a chaotic situation, specially for such a compact weapon that should be easily latched into the MS meant to use it instead.
balofo wrote:Since the Schuzrum Gallus kit had runner switches, maybe they planned for a modern HGUC vanilla Gallus-J release. That could answer some questions
Would certainly like to see that!
Massignifico wrote:Maybe the extra weight is mostly armor? If it's really meant for urban combat on earth then it's assumed it would fight mostly old units with ballistic weapons and we saw how even those in Dakar had a bad time against a Juagg.
I don't think so: as I mentioned earlier other "heavy MS" such as the Dreissen and Doven wolf have lower weights, and at least in the case of the Doven Wolf we have seen how its armor was ought enough to take a direct hit from the ZZ's missiles without getting as much as a scratch. For the same reasons we can probably also scratch the weight of the generator, since the Doven Wolf's has much higher output than the Gallus J.
balofo

Since I don't care about AOZ, where's the Gallus S beam saber rack?
Wingnut

balofo wrote:Since I don't care about AOZ, where's the Gallus S beam saber rack?
Rear skirt area, IIRC.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
Gelgoog Jager

Wingnut wrote:
balofo wrote:Since I don't care about AOZ, where's the Gallus S beam saber rack?
Rear skirt area, IIRC.
Here's an image for reference, just click to enlarge it:

http://gundam.wikia.com/wiki/File:AMX-101S_03.jpeg
Wingnut

Yep. Left and right side rear skirt mounts.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
False Prophet

Gelgoog Jager wrote: And speaking of the Schuzrum Gallus, despite its purpose I find ridiculous the removal of even the most essential thrusters for maneuvering by itself in space. It seems to only retain a few leg thrusters that may not be enough to allow it freely move around should it be pseudo away from the structure it may be supposed to attack or defend. Units like the MS-06K and MS-06D have received retcons over the years that gave them thrusters one way or another, so I hope the same is possible for this unit.
Agree. But could that be the Schuzrum-Galluss is intended as only a ship-boarding MS? I mean, the Magnet Anchor is for grapling on enemy ships, so it's kind of possible to think that they would have thought that the machine's sole operational course is for it to ride on the Zssa, boarding the enemy crafts "pirate-style" and then block the deployment of any MS from the Hanger?
Gelgoog Jager wrote: As a final note, I think that the Gallus series should have the option to freely swap equipment between its variants, such as the shoulder weapons missile launchers and magnet anchors (which I would like to think could double as shocking/electrocuting weapons) as the situation best requires. Weapons such as the GaZowmn's borrowed Hyper Knuckle Buster may also be swappable, though they require some extra work since some rear thrusters need to be removed (as in the case of the Gallus K). On the plus side, I see no reason to not equip two of them, specially considering that the Gallus has a much higher generator output than the GaZowmn and doesn't have other beam weapons that would put a strain one the generator. I imagine that it should also be possible to adapt the Zssa's shoulder missile launchers to be placed over the Gallus shoulders with some modifications.
Haven't they done something in that vein with the Galluss-S?

On a side note, anyone know the purpose of the two potrusions on the shoulders of the red Galluss-S? These fins are too long to be effective as spike shields, yet too small to truly add into the balance of the unit.
Massignifico

What if it's just a bad design? Would explain why Neo Zeon it's in constant research for new mp models in all ZZ and why it's modified so much compared to other Neo Zeons MS which gets deployed by Sleeves as they are or with minor improvements (the Gazas, Ga-Zown, Re-Gelg, Zaku III, Dreissen etc.).
JEFFPIATT

Massignifico wrote:What if it's just a bad design? Would explain why Neo Zeon it's in constant research for new mp models in all ZZ and why it's modified so much compared to other Neo Zeons MS which gets deployed by Sleeves as they are or with minor improvements (the Gazas, Ga-Zown, Re-Gelg, Zaku III, Dreissen etc.).
the Galluss series was inspired by the Gouf with it's first iteration the Galluss-J and the unit was given an limited production run to be used as guard units but the mission rule of the J type was to act as an mop up unit after an long range unit like the zssa finished it's bombardment. the reasione we may see so many refitted units other than lack of new parts is that it's the only normal general purpose ms Neo zeon put out that doesn't have4 some gimmicky system that would be hard to maintain. all of the verients we have seen so far seem to be field modifications reusing parts taken from past and current zeon ms units fitted to the frame to change the mission profile from close combat to long range support and an hi-mobility assault boarding unit. The gaza series was prone to flying apart, the Re-gelg was just an enhanced Gelgoog aimed at training cadets for newer models and allowing the remaining gelgoogs at axis to keep up with the new units, the Zaku III was an limited productio9n model taht was beat out as axis's main ms, with the dressen being the only other unit to make it to true mass production being an revamped Rick Dom. the final Axis ms unit the Döven Wolf there chosen mass production unit was an much more complex unit as it included the quasi-psycommu system and the built in incom system witch to an force of ragtag rebels is an maintenance nightmare to have too many lying around the EFSF did keep some around for performance testing but remodeled them to the ARX-014 Silver Bullet spec refitting them to look like the gundams they were based on.
Massignifico

What have official source to say about the Gallus? I found this on Mark's website:

AMX-101 GALLUSS-J

A land warfare mobile suit developed by the Neo Zeon forces for use in their Earth invasion. As a successor to the Zaku series of the old Zeon forces, it is easy to produce, but its performance is low compared to that of the AMX-009.

* Sources: MS Encyclopedia 1992, Data Collection 6
Gelgoog Jager

Massignifico wrote:What if it's just a bad design? Would explain why Neo Zeon it's in constant research for new mp models in all ZZ and why it's modified so much compared to other Neo Zeons MS which gets deployed by Sleeves as they are or with minor improvements (the Gazas, Ga-Zown, Re-Gelg, Zaku III, Dreissen etc.).
I'm inclined to think that such is not the case:

-The Gaza D is developed partly to replace the Gaza C which had some structural problems, and by the end of ZZ, the former has indeed replaced the later as Neo Zeon's mainstay space MS. This indicates that Neo Zeon would phase out machines that don't make the cut.

-By the end of the series we can observe how the Gallus J, Zssa and Dreissen appear in large numbers, indicating that all three models have become mass produced MS. We know for certain that the Dreissen was acknowledge as a high performance machine, and the Zssa proves to be a very effective assault unit. the same cannot be said about the Gallus J, but since we know know that on U.C. 0088 it was mass produced and also turned out a royal guard variant, the AMX-101S, it's hard to think that it was considered a flawed MS. Personally I'm still more inclined to think that it's official weight has to be wrong.
JEFFPIATT wrote:The gaza series was prone to flying apart, the Re-gelg was just an enhanced Gelgoog aimed at training cadets for newer models and allowing the remaining gelgoogs at axis to keep up with the new units, the Zaku III was an limited productio9n model taht was beat out as axis's main ms, with the dressen being the only other unit to make it to true mass production being an revamped Rick Dom. the final Axis ms unit the Döven Wolf there chosen mass production unit was an much more complex unit as it included the quasi-psycommu system and the built in incom system witch to an force of ragtag rebels is an maintenance nightmare to have too many lying around the EFSF did keep some around for performance testing but remodeled them to the ARX-014 Silver Bullet spec refitting them to look like the gundams they were based on.
Several notes here:

-Being more specific, the Gaza C's block build construction had a problem that caused the frame to break down after using the transformation system a few times. Supposedly this problem is solved by the time the Gaza D and GaZowmn are introduced (which would also be around the time Axis obtained proper movable frame technology).

-IIRC, I once read a theory about the ReGelg was meant to mimic the Qubeley, for data gathering and training purposes. In ZZ we see at least one standard Gelgoog on the background of Axis, and one of my current pet theories is that the Gelgoog from the Blue team might have been provided to Neo Zeon along their other MS. We can probably also assume that the Gelgoogs seen in U.C. 0096 previously belonged to Axis.

-I have pointed out this several times, but the idea that the Zaku III competed and lost against the Doven Wolf doesn't add up: background info indicates that the Zaku III along the Dreissen were based on OYW units in order to speed up their development. And in fact we can see a couple of Zaku III already around by the time Haman arrives at Dakar. My current theory is that the Doven Wolf didn't won against the AMX-011, but against the AMX-011S, which is the model used by Mashymere and the same configuration used by the couple units seen among Glemy's rebel forces. In other words, we have a standard AMX-011 Zaku III that was completed early during the conflict, and an improved AMX-011S that was to become the standard configuration by the end of the conflict, which was rejected in favor of the Doven Wolf.

-The Dreissen is technically more closely based on the Dom than the Rick Dom, since it was originally intended as a ground use unit, but it proved versatile enough to convince the Axis/Neo Zeon command to mass produce it and also deploy it in space.

-As for the Doven Wolf, despite it's complexity, we do see some Zeon remnants using it, the most prominent ones being the faction that appeared in gun dam Frag and Gundam Evolve and the Glemy remnants group seen in Missing Link, which had many along some Gaza D and several older Zeon MS. The Sleeves also had at least two units, which is more than what can be confirmed of some other Axis/Neo Zeon MS.
Massignifico wrote:What have official source to say about the Gallus? I found this on Mark's website:

AMX-101 GALLUSS-J

A land warfare mobile suit developed by the Neo Zeon forces for use in their Earth invasion. As a successor to the Zaku series of the old Zeon forces, it is easy to produce, but its performance is low compared to that of the AMX-009.

* Sources: MS Encyclopedia 1992, Data Collection 6
The Gallus J was supposed to work in tandem with the Zssa, and the later is said to have been designed to carry out bombardment's on the ground and being able to use its booster for achieving atmospheric flight. Therefore I'm not surprised the Gallus J was also designed primarily with ground use in mind.

I do find interesting the idea that it is compared to the Dreissen. Given its role and time of deployment, I would be of the idea that they were even rival designs.
Massignifico

So Gallus-J is a successor to the Zaku series that gets deployed alongside much better units and is developed for use on earth in tandem with Zssa. Recently we had proof that is a modular design or at least a good base for modification and is easy to produce.

Maybe Neo Zeon developed the Zaku III to be its successor, with its modular design and performance comparable to Dreissen (and much better weight) but felt the result wasn't worth enough and switched to Doven Wolf?
Gelgoog Jager

Massignifico wrote:So Gallus-J is a successor to the Zaku series that gets deployed alongside much better units and is developed for use on earth in tandem with Zssa. Recently we had proof that is a modular design or at least a good base for modification and is easy to produce.

Maybe Neo Zeon developed the Zaku III to be its successor, with its modular design and performance comparable to Dreissen (and much better weight) but felt the result wasn't worth enough and switched to Doven Wolf?
I don't think that works quite well:

Unlike the common belief, we know that the Zaku III do is deployed early using the conflict (2 can be spotted at Dakar), long before the Doven Wolf is completed. In fact, the Dreissen and Zaku III are based on OYW designs precisely in order to speed up their development and deployment. In both cases I think their intended roles were as high mobility general use units, the Zaku III (which seems partially based on the MS-06R series) in space and the Dreissen on Earth, even though both units can operate in both situations.

As for the rival of the Doven Wolf, I've speculated that the unit in question is probably the AMX-011S. I base this not only in the later introduction of Mashymere units, but also upon observing that the two units among Glemy's forces have the same configuration as Mashymere's unit, though using the standard color scheme. Since the other units seen among Haman's forces are standard AMX-011 units, it's likely that the AMX-011S were at Axis where they were being tested against the Doven Wolf and fell into glee's forces hands along with the base. Mashymere's unit could have bene modified into the same configuration from a standard AMX-011, thus validating its background information.

Another problem is that the Zaku III seems to be built with modularity in mind, thus it also takes that potential role form the Gallus J.

Perhaps the Gallus J is cheap to mass produce? That could justify why it is mass produced along the Zssa and Dreissen, despite not having any distinct traits unlike those two units. We do know that at least in the case of the Titans/EF, the Barzam was developed on a similar criteria: to be simple and low cost, while retaining a level of performance on par with other current mass production units, and mainly to replace older aging units. Perhaps the real purpose of the Gallus J is simply to speed up the phasing out those old MS-06F that still appear among Axis/1st Neo Zeon ranks every now and then? I could imagine that being the case if we were to assume that the Gaza series could have the cavebeat of not being able to operate properly, or at least as well as in space, on Earth.
Massignifico

It was exactly what I was trying to say, trying is the key word here lol.

Another thing: the fact that Gallus is used as royal guard machine doesn't mean it's a good MS, we are talking about Re:Zeon here which is like a part of neo neo zeon... and remember that the previous royal guard machines of Haman's Zeon were modified Galbaldy Betas, surely not the state of art of Neo Zeon MSs.
Gelgoog Jager

Regarding the Gaz-L and Gaz-R, these machines were supposedly first used as escorts for Haman's Qubeley, something we never actually see in the animation, but which could suggest that they have been around ever since the Gryps Conflict, if not even earlier:

It's suspected that the AMX-117L and AMX-117R are not actually based on the RMS-117, but rather on the MS-17B. Before Axis begin producing the AMX series, the MS-17B would have been one of the best MS the Axis forces would have had, surpassing even the MS-14 series (it's also suspected that the color scheme of the MS-14JG is meant to indicate a relationship with the Galbaldy Beta, as high end units of their respective model series).

Speaking of the MS-17B, the Gundam Frag short videos, released with the ZZ Gundam Blu-ray, show the ZZ fighting some Galbaldy Beta units in at least two separate ocasions. Since the RMS-117 remained a MS used by the regular EF forces even late in to the conflict, as evidenced by their deployment alongside blue Hizacks from the Dogosse Gier, I'm inclined to think that the units from Gundam Frag are actually MS-17B from Axis/Neo Zeon.

Back to the Gaz-L and Gaz-R, since Haman only uses her Qubeley until the final battle at Side 3, I'm inclined to think that the AMX-117L/R units served as escorts for the Qubeley even before Axis arrival at the Earth Sphere. Alongside the MS-14J (and possibly the MS-09H), they were most likely upgraded OYW units, which may further be reflected in their weight, which is greater than the Galbaldy Beta's despite the Gaz-L and Gaz-R using lightweight Gundarium Gamma, which should provide a weight advantage compared to the Galbaldy Beta's titanium alloy, even with the extra weapons & armor of the Gaz units.
JEFFPIATT

Gelgoog Jager wrote:Regarding the Gaz-L and Gaz-R, these machines were supposedly first used as escorts for Haman's Qubeley, something we never actually see in the animation, but which could suggest that they have been around ever since the Gryps Conflict, if not even earlier:

It's suspected that the AMX-117L and AMX-117R are not actually based on the RMS-117, but rather on the MS-17B. Before Axis begin producing the AMX series, the MS-17B would have been one of the best MS the Axis forces would have had, surpassing even the MS-14 series (it's also suspected that the color scheme of the MS-14JG is meant to indicate a relationship with the Galbaldy Beta, as high end units of their respective model series).

Speaking of the MS-17B, the Gundam Frag short videos, released with the ZZ Gundam Blu-ray, show the ZZ fighting some Galbaldy Beta units in at least two separate ocasions. Since the RMS-117 remained a MS used by the regular EF forces even late in to the conflict, as evidenced by their deployment alongside blue Hizacks from the Dogosse Gier, I'm inclined to think that the units from Gundam Frag are actually MS-17B from Axis/Neo Zeon.

Back to the Gaz-L and Gaz-R, since Haman only uses her Qubeley until the final battle at Side 3, I'm inclined to think that the AMX-117L/R units served as escorts for the Qubeley even before Axis arrival at the Earth Sphere. Alongside the MS-14J (and possibly the MS-09H), they were most likely upgraded OYW units, which may further be reflected in their weight, which is greater than the Galbaldy Beta's despite the Gaz-L and Gaz-R using lightweight Gundarium Gamma, which should provide a weight advantage compared to the Galbaldy Beta's titanium alloy, even with the extra weapons & armor of the Gaz units.
With the Gazu- LR and the RMS-117 it's very much an case of divergent development both Axis and the EFSF had the MS-17 blue prints for the A and B units but the Luna 2 and Axis staffs took very different directions with the units. The Luna II plant produced it closer to the Zeonic specs as the EFSF was needing quick cheap units tto fill ranks along with the GM II as modern units. The AMX-117 is made to be an more modernized take on the MS-17 set up as escort unts for high ranking troops and prototypes built with the best frame axis had when the Qubeley was rolled out. We should also note that when ZZ came out the AMX code was described as an EFSF reporting code not the actual model number and retcons set Axis MS to the AMX codes insted of being NATO style Reporting codes, Basically the 117 in to code with the L/R was to describe that it looked like the RMS-117 but always flanked on that side of an MS with the arched shoulder armor. The Gallus seems to be the first new Zaku style ms Axis rolled out other than there TMS Gaza series that were worker ms with guns added that evolved in to combat units.
Gelgoog Jager

That's pretty much the case, though I'm still inclined to think that the MS-17B did say at least some limited production in its original configuration at Axis, possibly as a vanilla AMX-117, with the AMX-117L and AMX-117R being custom versions of it.

I have heard before that the AMX code being something used by the EF/AEUG, but I'm not sure how that would actually work in paper. For instance, Quattro's prior knowledge on Axis would mean that he was probably aware of the existence of the ReGelg, which is in a similar situation to the Galbaldy Beta/Gaz. It would be interesting knowing if it was actually supposed to be classified as AMX-114 or AMX-114J.

We also have the AMX-009 and AMX-011, which are supposedly to be based on their direct predecessors, the Dom and Zakus series respectively (the Zaku III's model number is most likely a nod at the MS-11 Act Zaku, which was the most advanced Zaku-type MS built during the OYW), which allowed their development to take place quickly in order to have them ready for deployment faster, probably even before the other prototypes such as the Gallus J, Zssa, Hamma Hamma or R-Jarja.

On the other hand, we have also identified that the AMX-011S was likely produced as a separate MS from the standard AMX-011, given that the units among Glemy's rebels are using the exact same configuration as Mashymre's unit. This particular model si the one I would be inclined to think was the competition of the Doven Wolf, not the standard AMX-011 which was deployed earlier.
JEFFPIATT

Gelgoog Jager wrote:
I have heard before that the AMX code being something used by the EF/AEUG, but I'm not sure how that would actually work in paper. For instance, Quattro's prior knowledge on Axis would mean that he was probably aware of the existence of the ReGelg, which is in a similar situation to the Galbaldy Beta/Gaz. It would be interesting knowing if it was actually supposed to be classified as AMX-114 or AMX-114J.
That was something i picked up from Mark's old site or MAHQ that seems to have been reconned out for being Axis actual model codes.
https://web.archive.org/web/19970629030 ... /faq5.html
5. Neo Zeon

The Axis forces in ZETA GUNDAM - which go on to become the Neo Zeon in GUNDAM ZZ - standardized on the AMX prefix, followed by a number that indicates the order of development. Two separate design teams are at work; the first begins its sequential numbers with a "0", the second with a "1". Thus, the AMX-003 Gaza C is the third design produced by the first team, while the AMX-103 Hamma Hamma is the third design produced by the second team.
The Neo Zeon use non-standard prefixes for the mobile armor AMA-01 Jamul Fin and the mobile suit NZ-000 Quin Mantha. The AMA prefix is also used by the AMA-X2 Neue Ziel in GUNDAM 0083.
The second Neo Zeon movement featured in CHAR'S COUNTERATTACK uses a mixture of old and new prefixes. The MSN-03 Jagd Doga and MSN-04 Sazabi hearken back to the MSN-02 Ziong, while the NZ-333 Alpha Aziel and AMS-119 Gira Doga follow in the footsteps of the first Neo Zeon.
http://www.angelfire.com/zine/trd/etc/G ... umbers.htm
it looks like ther codes are setup like the RMS and RX cudes used during the Titans era where the first two numbers are an Team code and the last is the design number. with two confermed teams "00" and "01" doing dueling models.