The Official Macross Delta Anime Thread Mk I

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Areku

Re: The Official Macross Delta Anime Thread Mk I

Destiny_Gundam wrote:
Spoiler
Keith aimed that final shot straight into Messer's heart. Savage.
Spoiler
I'm no expert regarding the Japanese language, but isn't the word they use closer to "center" or "core" than "heart"? If they did mean the organ, the damage to the seat looks pretty centered, so was Messer's heart in the center of his chest? If so, how would Keith know that, and why should we trust the crew knew Keith's intention in such detail? If this is simply the show's way of conveying that Keith was specifically aiming for Messer's heart, it seems like a pretty clumsy way to deliver the message. Besides, executing a pilot (this much is clearly correct) with an anti-aircraft laser/particle/fold wave autocannon (do we even know what it is?) is gruesome enough without the "aim for the heart" baloney.

On another note, no replacement? That's disappointing, though I only have myself to blame for looking forward to Alberto. Still seems like a waste of a perfectly good Siegfried. Also, does that mean Messer represented 37% of Delta's combat effectiveness? Assuming the remainder is evenly distributed among the four survivors, that means they've quantitatively determined Messer to be x2.35 the pilot that Hayate is. Looks like Hayate has some serious work ahead if he's going to "fly Messer's share". Seems sketchy to me that an experienced pilot would hold off on filling a vacancy because an amateur claims he'll get dramatically better; even Char Aznable would be scared of a number like x3.35! :P
Destiny_Gundam

Areku wrote:
Spoiler
I'm no expert regarding the Japanese language, but isn't the word they use closer to "center" or "core" than "heart"?
Spoiler
Either way, just goes to show how precise Keith's aim is.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
Compass

Spoiler
Actually, the heart itself is present in the center of your body.

A portion of the heart goes to the left (and you can feel it beating because it's the strongest part of the heart), but the bulk of your heart is dead center, that would have definitely taken out the heart. I know a lot of movies enjoy showing a left-side heart shot, but pretty much the same effect will happen if you were hit straight in the sternum, and to be honest, some heart shots would probably just hit a lung instead in movies.

It took me a while to find a decent non-cartoon exaggeration anatomy picture, but here's one. You can see that while the heart does lean to the left, the right portion of the heart lies squarely in the center of your chest.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... t_near.png
Watching: Black Bullet, The World is Still Beautiful, Brynhildr in the Darkness, Captain Earth, The Irregular at Magic High School
Quick Picks that ended Last Season: Gundam Build Fighters!!! Buddy Complex
Areku

Spoiler
Destiny_Gundam wrote:Either way, just goes to show how precise Keith's aim is.
I wouldn't mind if he aimed for Bogue's heart next. :P
Compass wrote:Actually, the heart itself is present in the center of your body.
Granted, some of the heart does lie along the center of the chest, but I still feel like such a theoretically impressive display of precision aim for the heart should have been a few centimeters left of what we're shown. Was Keith aiming specifically for the heart, or was he aiming at the center of the chest because it's the surest target area for inflicting catastrophic physical harm, and who the heck is the mechanic to call it one way or the other? Admittedly, it's a matter of semantics on my part, but it rubs me the wrong way that we seem to have the show conveying character actions/goals through a third-party based off of partial information, particularly when dealing with "organ-precision" use of anti-aircraft weapons while moving at several hundreds of miles-per-hour.

I suppose I'm saying something similar to "show, don't tell"; they could have taken a moment to show some artistic flair such as an x-ray depiction of Messer's heart at the critical moment, show Keith visualizing the shot that way, or otherwise depict Keith as fancying himself an avant-garde battlefield killer. To a lesser extent, I feel like they could have found a more interesting, less "tell" way to express to the audience that Messer's off-putting attitude was as much to allow his wingmen to shoot him without hesitation (I still think this mindset is extraordinarily reckless and selfish) as it was to "stick" them into improving as pilots.

Anyway, that's enough nitpicking for me. How 'bout that Roid/Keith conversation? I still think I might be onto something with that "Roid is trying to extend the Windermerian lifespan" theory, but if so there's definitely much more conflicted inter-Windermerian politics involved than I initially thought. ...Or Roid may be going full Owlman (nihilistic omnicidal Batman) and plans to destroy everything, ever, if something bad happens to Heinz; "Soon time itself will not matter" sounds pretty ominous. Whatever's actually going on, I'm glad that there's at least something redeemable behind the surface-level-generic conquest, though I really hope this is something more than just Keith's platform for reform.

Here Lies Reina x Jellyfish
Ep.1 - Ep.11
Compass

Also, Hayate better strive hard to get a 200% efficiency increase. Pretty sure 200% power level increase is akin to becoming a super-piloto.
Watching: Black Bullet, The World is Still Beautiful, Brynhildr in the Darkness, Captain Earth, The Irregular at Magic High School
pirx

I truly hope not, we already had one supah-piloto, not in Macross though.
Dark Duel

Oh I dunno, given how absurdly skilled he was, I would contend that Max Jenius in SDF Macross counts as a SUPAH-PAILOTO.
As for this latest episode...I do have to agree that the sheer improbability of that killshot IMO stretches suspension of disbelief almost to the breaking point. I also think not replacing the dead pilot is quite possibly the dumbest idea conceivable given the circumstances, because now by my reckoning Delta Squadron are outnumbered and don't have a single pilot on their roster with a snowball's chance in hell of lasting more than a few seconds against the blonde prettyboy, much less the entire opposing unit - especially given the reveals of this past episode.
I'm still hoping for that endlessly-irritating red-haired one(Bogue, IIRC) to get offed some time in the near future, but even if he does, the odds are very definitely stacked against the good guys.

Should be interesting to see what happens next.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
ChaoticSheep1

I think Bogue is either going to die or join Delta Platoon after learning the error of his ways. It just seems likely since red head managed to beat him in a duel of words.
Compass

No, Bogue is probably just going to die
Dark Duel

Yeah, no. If any of them seem likely to pull a Heel-Face Turn, Bogue is definitely not the one, and unless something truly drastic happens, we can rule out pretty-boy, too. Honestly, I don't see any of the Fabulous Patrol defecting at any point, but gun to my head I would say the only one I might perhaps see as a remote possibility would be the older blonde-ish one with the messed-up facial scars/marks.

On that subject, what is with those marks or scars or whatever they are? Is that just something that happens to folks from Windermere as they age or something? Or is there another reason. Offhand the only ones I can remember seeing them on are that guy and the old fart who just decided to get his butt out of bed this past episode, so it does seem likely that it's just a sign of aging peculiar to especially old Windermereans...or maybe there's another reason for it.

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
Areku

ChaoticSheep1 wrote:I think Bogue is either going to die or join Delta Platoon after learning the error of his ways. It just seems likely since red head managed to beat him in a duel of words.
Is this the embarrassment that came before he said, without any brainwash-breaking confliction, "Cease this filthy song", "You'll pay for this, filthy vermin", and "It's only natural that some lowlife would meet such a fate when challenging the White Knight"? Those are just the ones off the top of my head, I'm sure there's more stubborn contempt he's spewed since then. He's flying all the flags of a smug enemy who meets an embarrassing end, not those of a reforming-fool turncoat.
Dark Duel wrote:On that subject, what is with those marks or scars or whatever they are? Is that just something that happens to folks from Windermere as they age or something?
When we first saw Hermann in 0.89, I thought they were bizarre battle scars, but the king's are very similar so I'm of the opinion that they're a natural sign of aging Windermerians. Heck, it might even be a sign that Windermerians don't necessarily age rapidly as we normally think of the process (telomere shortening and accumulating DNA point-mutations), but rather are gradually "torn apart" by their own physical capabilities; they do seem to have an increased connection with and sensitivity to fold waves, maybe that's the cause of their short lifespans. As one of the Protoculture's final "creations", presumably the encounter with the Vajra had some impact on their design, and maybe the Protoculture simply over-reached and put a little too much "fold wave power" into a humanoid form.

I may be over-thinking all of that, but the facial scarring does seem like a peculiar detail for denoting aging (if that's what it is), so there's probably a good reason for it.
Arbiter GUNDAM

I will also chime in that Bogue is very probably the Jerid Messa of this group and hopefully will have an hilarious comeuppance soon.

In other news, the official Macross site has revealed preview images for the next episode and... oh ho? Is that a new member of Delta Squad after all?

Also, in celebration of reaching the mid-series point at episode 13, episodes 1-12 will be available on Youtube for a short time. Of course, you probably have to be in Japan to actually watch them....
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
Areku

Arbiter GUNDAM wrote:In other news, the official Macross site has revealed preview images for the next episode and... oh ho? Is that a new member of Delta Squad after all?
Maybe. He does appear to be wearing a pilot uniform, something that was unique to the, well, pilots, when we saw everyone* gathered in the briefing room for the contract update in Ep.5**.

* ~33 people, though a few do seem to teleport around the room.
** Ep.5 also gives another glimpse at Roid's collection of glasses, and what we saw in Ep.9 was just a fraction of it. Seriously, there are 23 pairs visible, not counting the pair on his face, and Keith is blocking at least half of the display case. Yikes.
pirx

Max is genius. Not a supah-piloto. Only supah-piloto i know is Asemu, and he was ridiculous enough.

Sigur Valens looks a bit like Bodolza's fortress from DYRL. Should'nt be a surprise, same designers. Also Birdman. Too soon for Enemy Big Superweapon to be brought into play. Supposedly they have something more nastier kept for later, colony leizaaaaa khgrmm...
Iris Scope

I feel bad for Heinz since he's super sick and he's buying into the propaganda Keith and the old man in bed feed him about the Earthlings needing to pay for Windermere's woes. Surely Kawamori would not be so cruel as to let him die before having a closer meeting with Freyja and Mikumo where perhaps they can talk about the nations' problems.
Iris Scope

Saw episode 12 today.
Spoiler
Just about everyone gets their last chance to relax before the big battle in the next episode and also the look Mirage gave to Freyja before leaving an embarrassing situation where she gets caught eavesdropping on the duo chatting as well as promising Hayate a rematch on the Valkyries definitely implies that as far as the triangle's concerned, it's ON!

Major Laurie, if he becomes a major character later in the series, he reeks of corrupt and slimy NUNS material which must be arrested and/or executed in a humiliating way.
Compass

This episode is the action episode I've been waiting for.
Spoiler
Welp, I ordered the Delta 5 model kit and it's already been destroyed in the anime before it's gotten here. Nice to see Shinigami going OP here.
Dark Duel

Compass wrote:This episode is the action episode I've been waiting for.
Spoiler
Welp, I ordered the Delta 5 model kit and it's already been destroyed in the anime before it's gotten here. Nice to see Shinigami going OP here.
Spoiler
Wait, are you talking about Messer's VF? Because IIRC, he was Delta Two. Delta Five is Hayate, IIRC.

Unless in the latest episode he gets trashed too - I haven't seen it yet.

Compass

Dark Duel wrote:
Compass wrote:This episode is the action episode I've been waiting for.
Spoiler
Spoiler
Wait, are you talking about Messer's VF? Because IIRC, he was Delta Two. Delta Five is Hayate, IIRC.

Unless in the latest episode he gets trashed too - I haven't seen it yet.
Spoiler
D02 was structurally fine except for the hole in the seat where the heart was. D05 gets Ben Dixoned in Ep 13.
Dark Duel

Ah. Okay, thanks for clearing that up.
Can't wait to see the ep, now.

EDIT: Okay, so I saw the ep.
Spoiler
I was kinda saddened by the destruction of Hayate's VF-31J as well. It was pretty awesome that he was able to take off almost immediately by "borrowing" the VF-31F that used to belong to Messer, and he managed to do pretty well in it. Though I'm still miffed unless it gets repainted, because it ruins the color-pair between him and Mirage's unit. What I liked about it is that his blue -31J and her purple -31C go well together, and IMO hearken back to the blue/red color pair of her grandparents. Hayate piloting a black machine kind of ruins that, even though the two colors still go fairly well together.

And of course, we have once again in this episode the Macross staple Mid-Air Rescue - this time pulled off by Mirage with Hayate, and then by Mirage again with Freyja.

And hell yeah, pretty boy got owned. He'll be back, though. (That was for Messer, you arrogant prick!)
It now occurs to me that that makes two wins for Hayate against the Prettyboy Squad - not bad, for a wet-behind-the-ears rookie.

Apart from that, despite King Old Fart getting offed, a resounding defeat for Kaos/Walküre this time around, which I suppose kind of makes sense given how much buildup this has gotten, and having the bad guys lose this early on would kill the tension in the plot so far.
Anyway, another great episode.
Though I still think Battroid mode is being severely under-used...as in, not at all. Which annoys me. We see a lot of fighter-mode dog-fighting, and occasional use of Gerwalk mode - more in this ep than we've seen for a fair bit.
But almost no Battroid mode combat...this annoys me.
That said, can't wait for the rest.