The Official Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans Anime Thread Mk II

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
zetatype

Re: The Official Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans Anime Thread Mk

Kuruni wrote:
battletech wrote:To quote the Emperor, "Everything is proceeding as I have foreseen". Hopefully unlike the Emperor everything will turn out and IBO will reignite Gundam in North America.
While it has nothing to does with me myself, I wish it will done good enough that there will be official gunpla release there (and they don't screw up again).
What exactly do you mean by official releases?
Kuruni

Like back when Wing was hot.
My girlfriend was a loli.
Dark Duel

He's referring, I think, to the brief period in time about 10-15 or so years ago when it was possible to walk into, say, Toys'R'Us and find Gundam merchandise right there on the shelf at affordable prices, without having to deal with the markups that come with needing to import the stuff from Japan.

Would be nice to be able to do that again, but I'm not holding my breath.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
zetatype

Technically that is starting to happen with Barnes n Nobles selling gunpla, though granted its on a much much smaller scale compared to 10-15 years ago.

Also, even back then there were significant markups on gunpla. The No Grades and High Grades were still affordable, but some of the Master Grades had insane prices. I remember the MG GP02 from 0083 being $100 at Toys R Us back in the day.
Deathzealot

Yeah. I noticed that BN are selling Gunpla. The one I went to had more then I thought they would carry, not that many as say I see in dedicated Anime shops but not as small as I seen in some other stores as an after-thought. I wonder if places like Target or Toys R US will start to as well.
gyrobot

Ah been gushing on about Gundam IBO lately, thought I wanted to toss some plot hooks

Beam Weaponry: Oh no, not beamspam, literally beams of metal hurled by Ahab Waves. Finding a way to defeat NLA with ranged weapons and I can see gauss weapons becoming the main option.

Shino and the Swallow: Shino's a bit of a horndog and dismisssing the whole "Horny guy is a yaoi stereotype". Having Shino deal with someone who was forced to sell her body and be an AV user will be a good way to give Shino his personal story arc like Akihiro and his brother. A girl who saw sex as a commodity and not as an emotional display of love to the man or woman she cares for.

Inzario's revenge: A man like Inzario isn't gonna go quietly to the night, he may be bloodied but if he doesn't come back with an army to bring earth back to the bad old days + some extra I wouldn't surprised on his end.
Kuruni

I wonder what would happen to Cookie and Cracker in S2...

On one hand, they may become bitter toward Tekkadan for Biscuit's death despite they're (likely) fund their education. But equally likely that they'll work for them too (possibly as Atra's helpers). The latter is much better, simply because more loli is better :mrgreen: .
My girlfriend was a loli.
Wingnut

Trailer for the english dub premiering on Adult Swim on June 4th at 12:30 am (EDT?)

Another 2:15 long preview
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
Dark Duel

Not bad. Not bad at all. I have to say, this is pretty nice, getting a new dub. I honestly thought it would never happen.
Hoping for a decently-priced DVD release eventually, and when/if that happens, will definitely be snagging it.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
zetatype

I like I like :)

Pretty good voice acting across the board especially Mikazuki and Mcgillis

Still a little bit concerned about JYB voicing Orga, but from what little I just heard his voice just might be deep enough to pull it off.
battletech

Dub sounds good. Always appreciate Gundam getting a dub. My dad can't do subs so I can now watch the dub with him.
"The souls of Man are weighed down by gravity." - Char Aznable
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.-Clarke
zetatype

For those interested, I found a translation of an interview with Okada about IBO back in March.
https://karice.wordpress.com/2016/05/15/p507/

Link to original source
http://www.b-ch.com/contents/feat_creat ... umber/v30/
kmagryffindor
Location: Brittania or the Union, depends on what you perfer. (Ohio)

Well, I come here about every day to read some articles, but I have not posted in a looooong time lol. I thought this was worth sharing, though. :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jP9PASx3bgA

I have always felt Toonami made the best trailers, especially for Gundam. After seeing what they did for Dimension W, I was hoping they do something for Iron- Blooded Orphans. They did not disappoint. Using a beautiful fusion of new footage and rich nostalgia they made something i feel appeals to new and old fans alike.

[Note: For those members here who missed out on the days of Wing on original Toonami, this is the ad that the Iron- Blooded Orphans Trailer is throwing back too. : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxijE_FDFHA (I also recommend their amazing trailer for the original Mobile Suit Gundam.)]
Deathzealot

/shivers/

Woah. That last bit JYB really brought back memories of him voicing Lelouch. I really would love if you brought other moments up like that.
zetatype

"Suit up....Again" :D

Damn the nostalgia is strong with this one

While it doesn't have optimus prime this is still a very good trailer. I'm actually now a bit hyped for it.
LightningCount

Mixed feelings about that trailer there. One the one hand, I like that they're trying to go "big" with this. I have great respect for Toonami. On the other hand, I really feel like that trailer "shoehorned" IBO and Wing into the same boot, and it didn't fully work because the two shows, regardless of a few surface similarities, appear to be quite different. (This is an even bigger stretch than if they had done this with, say, Gundam 00.) Now, I guess they wanted to give the impression it was the second coming of Gundam to Toonami (sort of ignoring the fact that G-Gundam and SEED and others were on the block with their own unique trailers), but I doubt if IBO will have a Wing-like impact. I've only seen three episodes of IBO; it never grabbed me, and once I heard it was getting a dub, I decided to wait to see if Toonami might pick it up given that the aims of IBO from its conception gave the impression of trying to create an international success to reboot the brand a bit. Anyway, I'm going to give it another shot, but as a longtime Toonami and Gundam fan, I find the trailer a little exploitative and sort of underwhelming. But I can't deny that it was a good marketing idea in the short run to get some attention across the board.

In other news...

Toonami will supposedly be starting a half hour earlier to accommodate and promote IBO, sort of like what happened with Space Dandy, I think.

Also, a little behind the scenes from the Toonami creators on how IBO happened for them: They were working in Japan on FLCL 2 and decided to basically go to Sunrise in person and see if they could reestablish broadcasting ties, since they'd lost all contact with "Gundam" when Bandai Entertainment overseas ceased to be. They did have one contact from the Bandai Entertainment days--a guy they named as Nobuo (I am assuming it is Nobuo Masuda from the North American Gundam F91 Special Edition commentary), and he helped them set up a face-to-face meeting. And the rest basically is history right now.
Last edited by LightningCount on Tue May 31, 2016 3:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.
My Mecha/Scifi Novels: https://www.goodreads.com/series/168677 ... -war-arm-x
"May you rest in peace, the betrayed and outraged Milliardo Peacecraft."
Most-Wanted Gundam Anime: Episode Zero, Blue Destiny, Rise from the Ashes, Crossbone
Deathzealot

Hmmm... I wonder if thanks to this reestablished relationship between Toonami and Bandai if Toonami may start showing other Bandai shows. If that happens I may just get back into watching TV again for that would be pretty sweet.
LightningCount

Deathzealot wrote:Hmmm... I wonder if thanks to this reestablished relationship between Toonami and Bandai if Toonami may start showing other Bandai shows. If that happens I may just get back into watching TV again for that would be pretty sweet.
Well, I think it's just "Sunrise" they reestablished a working relationship with. But Sunrise and Bandai are pretty closely tied in a lot of works, so maybe it will happen. Many of those shows from the old Bandai days have been picked up by Sentai or Funimation, and Toonami has relationships with both of them now, so anything's possible. Though, aside from maybe DBZ, it seems that Toonami's general focus is new, already-popular shows these days.
My Mecha/Scifi Novels: https://www.goodreads.com/series/168677 ... -war-arm-x
"May you rest in peace, the betrayed and outraged Milliardo Peacecraft."
Most-Wanted Gundam Anime: Episode Zero, Blue Destiny, Rise from the Ashes, Crossbone
battletech

LightningCount wrote:I doubt if IBO will have a Wing-like impact. I've only seen three episodes of IBO; it never grabbed me, and once I heard it was getting a dub, I decided to wait to see if Toonami might pick it up given that the aims of IBO from its conception gave the impression of trying to create an international success to reboot the brand a bit. Anyway, I'm going to give it another shot, but as a longtime Toonami and Gundam fan, I find the trailer a little exploitative and sort of underwhelming. But I can't deny that it was a good marketing idea in the short run to get some attention across the board.

Way to throw cold water on everyone. :lol: You're probably be right in the end so it's even more depressing. :( We will see. I'm going to keep being positive on IBO's impact. :D
"The souls of Man are weighed down by gravity." - Char Aznable
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.-Clarke
Amion

I confess to agree with Count about this one. My rewatch of IBO has been less than enthusiastic. I tend to be more critical of a series after a rewatch, if for no other reason than I know for sure how it all ends. IBO could have gone a lot further if it hadn't been so... bland.

What really pushes it down some notches is that article that shows the creators hadn't detailed the characters and plot as much as they should or could have. For the first-time viewing, I was ok with the pacing, but only because each episode was new and had potential to build from there. As things stand, the show basically drops off the proverbial radar at episode 5 and doesn't go aback until 16 or so... For all its flaws, Wing had clear energy to propel itself along, by comparison.
They don't know the power of a balanced vision.