The Official Macross Delta Anime Thread Mk I

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Wingnut

Re: The Official Macross Delta Anime Thread Mk I

Areku wrote:Also, I didn't point it out back in Ep. 4, but Walkure's technology was totally fallible (as I predicted in detail back in 0.89). I didn't think they'd run into a situation that reduced them to glorified frightened non-combatants as early as Ep. 4, but hey, hopefully it helps some people suspend their disbelief a little more willingly.
Their opponents also shifted pretty darn quick too. From starting out as the "Rar Rar, Var Var!" types at the beginning to having an enemy ace VF squadron actively out for their blood. It's quite a dynamic change that forces one to rethink your own combat strategy a bit.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
Arbiter GUNDAM

Wingnut wrote:
Areku wrote:Also, I didn't point it out back in Ep. 4, but Walkure's technology was totally fallible (as I predicted in detail back in 0.89). I didn't think they'd run into a situation that reduced them to glorified frightened non-combatants as early as Ep. 4, but hey, hopefully it helps some people suspend their disbelief a little more willingly.
Their opponents also shifted pretty darn quick too. From starting out as the "Rar Rar, Var Var!" types at the beginning to having an enemy ace VF squadron actively out for their blood. It's quite a dynamic change that forces one to rethink your own combat strategy a bit.
Well, Kawamori did say there would be a big shift in the show. :wink:
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
Henyo

well that was interesting. episode 5 i mean. it's a treat to see Millia and Max redrawn in todays animation standards. also, anyone going with the idea that kids have been told two different versions of how they meet?(or remember as an alternate.) Delta used the DYRL version which i prefer.

and legitimate heirs to Protoculutre? i smell conspiracy of high levels. and if they were such as they claimed, why do they use Humanity's VFs? why not Proculture level techs? :?
MOOK: ITS A YURI FANBOY!
azrael

Ascension wrote:pretty nearly all the characters in Delta Squadron and Walkure are ridiculously parallel.
I think that's the point. 5 singers. 5 pilots.
Henyo wrote: also, anyone going with the idea that kids have been told two different versions of how they meet?(or remember as an alternate.) Delta used the DYRL version which i prefer.
Would you tell your kids the exact details of how you met their mother (without spending 8 TV seasons to tell it either)? DYRL is like the public version. SDFM is probably a close approximation. How would you explain to your kids their mom literally tried to kill you on your first real date?
and legitimate heirs to Protoculutre? i smell conspiracy of high levels. and if they were such as they claimed, why do they use Humanity's VFs? why not Proculture level techs? :?
Spoiler
The idea of being treated unfairly in trade and byline of being heirs to Protoculture is pretty much a farce. The Windermerans are looking for something among the Protoculture ruins on each planet they annex. What they are looking for has yet to be revealed.
"I dislike death indeed, but there is that which I dislike more than death, and therefore there are occasions when I will not avoid danger."
Destiny_Gundam

Just looked it up and it appears that Mikumo is the only member of Walkure that doesn't sing her own songs. I wonder why. It's not like Ami Koshimizu can't sing.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
Iris Scope

Destiny_Gundam wrote:Just looked it up and it appears that Mikumo is the only member of Walkure that doesn't sing her own songs. I wonder why. It's not like Ami Koshimizu can't sing.
Hmmm, for that matter, does Aya Endo have a good reason to let May'n sing the Sheryl songs for her or Tomo Sakurai let someone else sing for Mylene? Well, not all the time for Sakurai since I read somewhere that she also sang sometimes for Mylene. It's a mystery...
Arbiter GUNDAM

Iris Scope wrote:
Destiny_Gundam wrote:Just looked it up and it appears that Mikumo is the only member of Walkure that doesn't sing her own songs. I wonder why. It's not like Ami Koshimizu can't sing.
Hmmm, for that matter, does Aya Endo have a good reason to let May'n sing the Sheryl songs for her or Tomo Sakurai let someone else sing for Mylene? Well, not all the time for Sakurai since I read somewhere that she also sang sometimes for Mylene. It's a mystery...
Funny you should mention Tomo Sakurai singing... :wink:

To answer the question as best I can, first of all, I doubt any of the three actresses had a say in the matter, the decision to have separate singing and speaking roles likely made long before any casting was done. As to why, I would guess that it's because they wanted to have the characters have very distinctive voices?

--Freyja Wion
Iris Scope

^ WOW! That's all I can say about this performance. :D

The choice of clothes for Sakurai made her look so adorable also.
Destiny_Gundam

Arbiter GUNDAM wrote:To answer the question as best I can, first of all, I doubt any of the three actresses had a say in the matter, the decision to have separate singing and speaking roles likely made long before any casting was done. As to why, I would guess that it's because they wanted to have the characters have very distinctive voices?
Having a separate singing voice is common in Macross, but it's odd that for this show they only did it for the one singer and not the rest (Freyja, like Ranka, was gimmick casting so of course she'd do both).
Henyo

azrael wrote:
Henyo wrote: also, anyone going with the idea that kids have been told two different versions of how they meet?(or remember as an alternate.) Delta used the DYRL version which i prefer.
Would you tell your kids the exact details of how you met their mother (without spending 8 TV seasons to tell it either)? DYRL is like the public version. SDFM is probably a close approximation. How would you explain to your kids their mom literally tried to kill you on your first real date?
Spoiler
The idea of being treated unfairly in trade and byline of being heirs to Protoculture is pretty much a farce. The Windermerans are looking for something among the Protoculture ruins on each planet they annex. What they are looking for has yet to be revealed.

point on Max and Millia telling their kids how they met. OTOH, how large is the age gap between the children? one possible, still unlikely though, is that the older ones got told of the true version while the younger ones happen to be within earshot.(then forming in their heads the SDFM version.)

as for their search for Protoculture stuff, i'm guessing its a super weapon from their legends or a device that could extend their lifespan. or maybe just anything made by the long extinct peeps.
MOOK: ITS A YURI FANBOY!
Arbiter GUNDAM

Henyo wrote:
azrael wrote:
Spoiler

point on Max and Millia telling their kids how they met. OTOH, how large is the age gap between the children? one possible, still unlikely though, is that the older ones got told of the true version while the younger ones happen to be within earshot.(then forming in their heads the SDFM version.)

as for their search for Protoculture stuff, i'm guessing its a super weapon from their legends or a device that could extend their lifespan. or maybe just anything made by the long extinct peeps.
It depends which daughter you're talking about. Komilia was about two months shy of twenty when Mylene was born.

As for using humanity's tech, azrael, technically humanity is already using Protoculture tech, just reverse-engineered and given a new spin. Same thing already happened in Macross 7.

--Freyja Wion
Destiny_Gundam

I'm really liking the more casual approach to character relations this series has been taking. Frontier had the relationship stuff front and center but in Delta everyone's just been hanging out like normal friends so far. The lack of emphasis makes things feel more natural. At one point this episode Freyja is clinging to Hayate's arm but it's just a background detail the show doesn't make a fuss about. Any other show would have them mad blushing with Mirage looking jelly or something.
Arbiter GUNDAM

Spoiler
Seems the Windemereans have been taking a page out of the Joker's playbook with how they've been spreading the Var Syndrome. :o

--Freyja Wion
Areku

So, Delta's given us aquatic mer-people, now cat-people. What's next? Lizard people? Bird people? Oh my, we might be on track for another Ep. 10 callback to Zero.
Arbiter GUNDAM

Areku wrote:So, Delta's given us aquatic mer-people, now cat-people. What's next? Lizard people? Bird people? Oh my, we might be on track for another Ep. 10 callback to Zero.
We did already have kangaroo people in Dynamite 7. :wink:

--Freyja Wion
Seto Kaiba

Areku wrote:So, Delta's given us aquatic mer-people, now cat-people. What's next? Lizard people? Bird people? Oh my, we might be on track for another Ep. 10 callback to Zero.
Does that make the Windermereans anglerfish-people?
The Macross Mecha Manual
Yes, we're working on updates...
excalibur2008

Areku wrote:So, Delta's given us aquatic mer-people, now cat-people. What's next? Lizard people? Bird people?
Macross seems to be going kind of Star Treky.
Seto Kaiba

excalibur2008 wrote:
Areku wrote:So, Delta's given us aquatic mer-people, now cat-people. What's next? Lizard people? Bird people?
Always was. Hell, there a bunch of overt references to Star Trek thrown in a easter eggs in the original series, like onscreen display text and printouts that are actually lines from a Star Trek computer game, or cast members listed on monitors.
The Macross Mecha Manual
Yes, we're working on updates...
excalibur2008

Seto Kaiba wrote:
excalibur2008 wrote:
Always was. Hell, there a bunch of overt references to Star Trek thrown in a easter eggs in the original series, like onscreen display text and printouts that are actually lines from a Star Trek computer game, or cast members listed on monitors.
Well I guess its showing more this time around since their dealing with more than one or two alien species this time around and are planet hopping more.
Areku

To edit my post from the News section to make it applicable here:

Elder Voldorian: Then what are you doing at those ruins?
Roid: Just academic research.
EV: I forgot you were a scientist as well. I have read your papers on the Protoculture. "The last humanoid races the dying Protoculture gave birth to were the ones here in the Brisingr Cluster. Therefore we are, by all means, the rightful heirs of the Protoculture." Or so I recall. Do you really believe those words?
Roid: The key to that mystery may lie in those very ruins.

That dialogue heavily implies that Roid's public belief is that they are the heirs to the Protoculture because they were among their final "creations". Generally speaking, an engineer tries to improve upon their past designs; you normally don't try to make something equal or inferior to your past designs. (Quite different from the super-prototypes so common in mecha anime.) Roid's logic (in public) is implied to be that because they are among the final "designs" of the Protoculture, they are inherently the Protoculture's most superior creations, are are thus most fit to be the heirs to the Protoculture.

Speculation:

Roid probably doesn't truly believe those words; his coy response to the Elder Voldorian implies that there may be an emotional kernel of truth to it, but that it's primarily something he's using as a pretense for the Windermerean conquests. Emotionally, it could very well be something he wants to believe; that mindset may be a Windermerean coping mechanism for dealing with the short lifespans imposed by their physical capabilities, with those physical capabilities further reinforcing a belief in their superiority. Clearly, the Voldorians and Ragnans don't share the same belief in their status as heirs.

I suspect Roid's true belief/goal is that through their conquest of Protoculture ruins on other worlds, he can find a way to lengthen the Windermerean lifespan. I suspect the Elder Voldorian is aware of this; he brings up that lifespan out of the blue immediately before saying "Very well, we'll behave," then seems use the credible military threat (Windermerean willingness to use dimensional weapons, which he clearly disapproves of) as a pretense to surrender. The public belief implied by the Elder Voldorian is likely something Roid's using as a ruse to expedite his research (without going through the red tape of negotiations and organizing civilian expeditions, because he may not have that long to live) while minimizing resistance (as far as conquest invasions go, it's a pretty inclusive message).