The Official Macross Delta Anime Thread Mk I

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Dark Duel

Re: The Official Macross Delta Anime Thread Mk I

Compass wrote:Messer grinds my gears.
Messer, I think, grinds everyone's gears. I know he does mine.

But yeah, another great episode overall despite being a bit calmer in pace than the last couple. Lots of cool stuff going on development-wise, more Hayate pretending to be a jerk(which I find funny), and I now have two or three new potential wallpapers for my computer. I was a bit puzzled at the image depicting Max piloting a VF-1S (I only vaguely remembered him piloting a VF-1A and VF-1J), but I guess that's from DYRL - which I never did see. Also, the image is still awesome, so didn't bother me that much.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
Arbiter GUNDAM

Dark Duel wrote:
Compass wrote:Messer grinds my gears.
Messer, I think, grinds everyone's gears. I know he does mine.

But yeah, another great episode overall despite being a bit calmer in pace than the last couple. Lots of cool stuff going on development-wise, more Hayate pretending to be a jerk(which I find funny), and I now have two or three new potential wallpapers for my computer. I was a bit puzzled at the image depicting Max piloting a VF-1S (I only vaguely remembered him piloting a VF-1A and VF-1J), but I guess that's from DYRL - which I never did see. Also, the image is still awesome, so didn't bother me that much.
Dude, you seriously need to see DYRL if you can. It's not just a great anime movie, it's a great movie period.

And yes, Max had switched over to a VF-1S in the movie for his duel with Milia, although it should be noted that despite two of those stills using DYRL aesthetics, the marriage scene is from the TV series.

OK, here's some rampant speculation!
I think Freyja's family is all dead.
Well, her immediate family, I think. In her own manga, she's not living with anyone in that village specifically identified as family and If you remember, back in episodes 1 and 2, Freyja has flashbacks to a burning building That very much looks Windemere in origin. We know that Windemere fought their war of independence 7 years ago and Freyja does look younger in that flashback. Perhaps during the war a stray missile or laser or somesuch hits Freyja's home and burns it to the ground?
Of course I'm probably totally wrong but I still have to wonder....
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
Arbiter GUNDAM

Another thing I noticed was that the Windemere ruin is called the Chamber of Time huh? Given what they're using it for, maybe it has something to with the fold fault around Windemere and any time dilation shenanigans that might be going on?

And of course the last time someone messed around with Protoculture time travel stuff it took every ace pilot and singer from Macross history (except for 2 and Delta of course) to stop it.

--Freyja Wion
Arbiter GUNDAM

The official site posted some new preview images for episode 6: http://www.macross.jp/delta/story/

--Freyja Wion
Destiny_Gundam

Well looks like I was wrong about the Lady M thing. It is a separate character.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
Arbiter GUNDAM

Screenshots for episode 6.

Nothing good ever happens in asteroid fields. Ever.

--Freyja Wion
Wingnut

Arbiter GUNDAM wrote:Nothing good ever happens in asteroid fields. Ever.
Spoiler
I'd call Katz's last moments a good thing.
Spoiler
Mirage said the right thing after the battle, and interestingly enough, Hayate accepted it. I guess Delta doesn't have time for that sort of moping around in its storyline. The insight to Mirage as a character and a combat pilot was nice to see here all the way up to having to live in the huge shadow that is Max and Millia, and to a degree Mylene too.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
pirx

Spoiler
Oh crap, that "scar" looks like ones left by Dimension Eater bombs from Frontier
I can understand why Windermere has a grudge.
azrael

pirx wrote:
Spoiler
Oh crap, that "scar" looks like ones left by Dimension Eater bombs from Frontier
That would have consumed the planet.
Spoiler
A Dimension Eater basically creates a singularity. Something that created the crater probably would have enough power to create a singularity and would have eaten the planet.
I would say it's highly unlikely.
Spoiler
From the sound of the previous episodes, it sounds like whatever device it was, the Windermerans set it off, not the UN. So it's self-inflicted (?).
"I dislike death indeed, but there is that which I dislike more than death, and therefore there are occasions when I will not avoid danger."
Arbiter GUNDAM

Wingnut wrote:
Arbiter GUNDAM wrote:Nothing good ever happens in asteroid fields. Ever.
Spoiler
I'd call Katz's last moments a good thing.
Meh, exceptions don't disprove the rule. :lol:
azrael wrote:
pirx wrote:
Spoiler
That would have consumed the planet.
Spoiler
A Dimension Eater basically creates a singularity. Something that created the crater probably would have enough power to create a singularity and would have eaten the planet.
I would say it's highly unlikely.
Spoiler
From the sound of the previous episodes, it sounds like whatever device it was, the Windermerans set it off, not the UN. So it's self-inflicted (?).
Spoiler
Yes but there are also micro-dimension eaters, which the Frontier NUNS forces and SMS were equipped with and since this is eight years since Frontier so this might have been a low-yield device? Certainly is going towards explaining what really the grudge is between Windemere and the NUG.
Spoiler
A lot of great stuff in this episode, pretty solid so far.

1. Flightsuits in Delta make everyone's butts look good.

2. Macross Plus reference!

3. There will now be 3,000,000 doujins of Makina and Reina

4. Messer, Arad and Kaname: Perhaps another triangle in the offing?

5. So this is another ruin on a conquered planet? Seems to be the way the Windemereans are able to conduct this war on their own...

6. Aww yeah, it's option pack time! LET'S DO THIS!!

7. Aisha Blanchette (from Macross 30) would be pleased as punch right now.

8. Sound Boosters are back, this time with holo-projector upgrades.

9. Wield wonderful W's with Walkure. (I love alliteration)

10. Whoah, is this the first time we've seen a Valk deploy its arms without going into Battroid or GERWALK modes?

11. So if you dual wield daggers as a rogue but you don't have the specialization, how many dice do you role?

12. Honestly I really do feel that Keith is going to be the main antagonist for the series, or at least the first part of it. He's been very prickly with Roid and Heinz, he clearly wants to take down Messer and doesn't like being called off in the middle of a fight, even if he's not as vocal about it as Bogue.

13. Waitaminute, how does the onboard computer know that Keith is in there? Are the identities of the Knights public or something?

14. AW YEAH! The VF-31A (which more resembles the Siegfried's predecessor, the YF-30) swoops into action... piloted by faceless mooks. Uh oh...

15. This is something I've noticed about Gundam, Macross, whatever: AA gunfire from warships is almost completely useless. Well, at least the AA guns work against the missiles. Mostly.

16. Hmmm, I wonder why Mikumo stepped in front of Freyja when the missiles were coming in?

17. Hopefully the PPBs aren't controlled by Atari trackballs anymore...

18. RETURN OF GAMLIN KICK!

19. BWAHAHAHAHA!! What is this triangle for!!

20. NEXT EPISODE: Planet Thunderra

--Freyja Wion
Areku

Arbiter GUNDAM wrote:
Spoiler
10. Whoah, is this the first time we've seen a Valk deploy its arms without going into Battroid or GERWALK modes?
In Ep.1, Hayate shifts from Battroid->GERWALK->Valkyrie with extended arms before getting shot down. Does that count?
Wingnut

Areku wrote:
Arbiter GUNDAM wrote:
Spoiler
In Ep.1, Hayate shifts from Battroid->GERWALK->Valkyrie with extended arms before getting shot down. Does that count?
Even WAY earlier than that in DYRL? when Hikaru is diving after Minmay inside the SDF-1 he is in full fighter mode, but his arm(s) is/are out trying to grab the falling singer as they head deeper into the ship.
There was? I might have missed it.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
Arbiter GUNDAM

Wingnut wrote:
Areku wrote:
Arbiter GUNDAM wrote:
Spoiler
Even WAY earlier than that in DYRL? when Hikaru is diving after Minmay inside the SDF-1 he is in full fighter mode, but his arm(s) is/are out trying to grab the falling singer as they head deeper into the ship.

Oh yeah, can't believe I forgot that....
There was? I might have missed it.
The simulator that Mirage is training in looks a lot like the YF-19 simulator.

--Freyja Wion
Destiny_Gundam

Arbiter GUNDAM wrote:16. Hmmm, I wonder why Mikumo stepped in front of Freyja when the missiles were coming in?
Even if the actual usefulness of a human shield in such a situation is limited, it's a fairly instinctive reaction and is meant to show that Mikumo does care about Freyja even if she's hard on her.
Compass

The arms and legs of the transformation of a VF are independent of each other IIRC. You could just shift partway in a transformation. Obviously not as good as either fighter or gerwalk mode, but passable. I remember in original MACROSS/Robotech a VF-1 head pod was used in gerwalk mode as a turret when obviously the head is normally recessed.
Watching: Black Bullet, The World is Still Beautiful, Brynhildr in the Darkness, Captain Earth, The Irregular at Magic High School
Quick Picks that ended Last Season: Gundam Build Fighters!!! Buddy Complex
azrael

Destiny_Gundam wrote:
Arbiter GUNDAM wrote:16. Hmmm, I wonder why Mikumo stepped in front of Freyja when the missiles were coming in?
Even if the actual usefulness of a human shield in such a situation is limited, it's a fairly instinctive reaction and is meant to show that Mikumo does care about Freyja even if she's hard on her.
Mikumo does care for Freyja, but more than anything, Mikumo is trying to push Freyja.
Spoiler
Mikumo is like Messer. They're both acting like slave-drivers and jerks, but the 2 are trying to push the group to do their best. Every time. It's a tougher love.
"I dislike death indeed, but there is that which I dislike more than death, and therefore there are occasions when I will not avoid danger."
Destiny_Gundam

With Mikumo she just comes off as kind of bitchy. She relies a bit too much on snide passive aggressive remarks to get her points across.

With Messer, he'll straight up tell you why you suck and actually offers constructive criticism when asked. It's notable the others take it really well rather than be antagonistic.
Compass

Destiny_Gundam wrote:With Mikumo she just comes off as kind of bitchy. She relies a bit too much on snide passive aggressive remarks to get her points across.

With Messer, he'll straight up tell you why you suck and actually offers constructive criticism when asked. It's notable the others take it really well rather than be antagonistic.
The anime has made VERY it apparent that there are two foiled mentor/student relationships with clashing personalities.

Messer and Hayate, and Mikumo and Freyja.

Mikumo is much more down to earth than Messer. Compare the two relationships.

Messer basically calls Hayate a failure, and won't provide any feedback until he's pressed upon. A person unwilling to bring people up to his level more than he is willing to at least keep them alive. Hayate's combative personality pushes him to meet and exceed what he's expected to do. When he sees Messer being chased, HE tries to give chase. He doesn't catch up, but he kicks some serious butt in Valkyrie mode, i.e. pushing his own path towards progress.

Freyja, on the other hand, seems to shut down and waver whenever she gets a road block in the way. We've seen Mikumo sing quite a bit. Notice how many times she's placed herself in danger? Flying through missiles, walking up to FULLY OPERATIONAL MECHS, and so on. She's fighting her own battle the entire way through. Freyja, however, keeps suffering setbacks. Mikumo knows Freyja has it in her, and acknowledges her potential. That Freyja becomes so impacted by being called a traitor is a serious problem on the battlefield. The fundamental equivalent would be Hayate just slamming into the asteroid instead of switching to what he knew.

tl:dr;

Messer believes Hayate has no potential and doesn't push Hayate. Hayate responds by always showing potential.
Mikumo believes Freyja has potential and pushes Frejya. Freyja responds inconsistently, at times showing potential, and at times showing no potential.

I didn't notice this initially, but this is some fancy foil development.
Watching: Black Bullet, The World is Still Beautiful, Brynhildr in the Darkness, Captain Earth, The Irregular at Magic High School
Quick Picks that ended Last Season: Gundam Build Fighters!!! Buddy Complex
Ascension

I'm late to watching episode 6, and late to providing commentary on this series in general, but the strong parallels between Messer and Mikumo in this episode (and Hayate and Freyja's responses to them while drinking with Chuck, Makina, and Reina) made me realize... pretty nearly all the characters in Delta Squadron and Walkure are ridiculously parallel.

You've got Hayate and Freyja, of course, as the Protagonists who are ruled by their emotions and who don't have the best baseline skill, but have a habit of dramatically coming through in the clutch.

You've got Arad and Kaname as the Leaders who are veterans with history in their professions and are possessed of good leadership skills, but who get overshadowed in sheer piloting / stage presence by...

Messer and Mikumo, the distant, mysterious, brooding Aces of their respective groups, who each play harsh mentor to their Protagonists.

The last two members of each team are weaker parallels, but still you can match them up...

Chuck and Makina, the most jovial and exuberant of their teams, who are possessed of the largest waistline and largest bust, respectively.

Mirage and Reina, the efficient professionals with intermittent flashes of a sweet side.

Of course, the amount of focus given to each member differs between groups, the relationships among the members differ somewhat, and the Mirage/Reina connection is pretty weak, but it's definitely still close enough to read as a conscious decision.

Apologies if someone expounded at length about this pages ago, I've only popped in to lurk the thread after a few episodes so far.

(Wanted to give any initial kneejerk reactions time to filter out.)
Don't call it a comeback...
...in fact, it's best if you forget I was ever here before.
Areku

Ascension wrote:pretty nearly all the characters in Delta Squadron and Walkure are ridiculously parallel.
I was thinking the same thing, plus the fact that Mikumo and Messer are the most likely to die out of their respective groups. Not only do they fill the most-likely-to-die role in their teams' dynamic, they also take the biggest risks once the missiles start flying.

Also, I didn't point it out back in Ep. 4, but Walkure's technology was totally fallible (as I predicted in detail back in 0.89). I didn't think they'd run into a situation that reduced them to glorified frightened non-combatants as early as Ep. 4, but hey, hopefully it helps some people suspend their disbelief a little more willingly.