The Official Macross Delta Anime Thread Mk I

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Wingnut

Re: The Official Macross Delta Anime Thread Mk I

Compass wrote:Found a cover of the second song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3syLmPSy8w

I can listen to this all day.
And I found a MIDI version and a piano cover of the same song.

The oddball kicker though when I rewatched the part of the episode where the song is and read the lyrics, my mind started to associate them with Relena and Heero of all people. :lol:
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
Soma Taozi
Location: Singing 'By Your Side' to a bunch of soldiers in Club Eden.

Watched the first episode and my opinion still stands regarding the idols flying around. It is out of left-field especially after just finishing Frontier, a little disconcerting, and very VERY silly. However since I knew it was coming I was able to get into it a little better and once the second song came on I was okay with the whole situation (head bobbing may have taken place.... :oops: )

I will just accept it and see how it is used from a production and plot stand-point from here on out. Overall not much to say besides that; I am looking forward to more and some actual material we haven't seen before!
For 2000 years I lay dormant, now I have returned to bring good cheer to you all once again!

-Me, 7/19/2020
Destiny_Gundam

Macross has never had any shortage of silly. Frontier had plenty of it, and it's no worse than guys flying jets with guitar shaped controllers shooting speakers at things.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
Amion

To be honest there's an argument to be made about the levels of silliness in a show. It's one thing to have a buffoon like Carta Issue, who's just got strange behavior, and another to have those guitar controllers.

But I'll be checking out the first episode again, probably, or at least episode two.
They don't know the power of a balanced vision.
Compass

As far as idols flying around, Alto did so in the Frontier second movie, as a guy in a dress. Also, we are talking about 8 years after Frontier's VF-25, with its EX-Gear. No reason to think it hasn't been improved on. The idols just need to be able to hover, not fly very fast. That being said, casually skipping around next to explosions is scary, but it's a cartoon! With deculture!
Watching: Black Bullet, The World is Still Beautiful, Brynhildr in the Darkness, Captain Earth, The Irregular at Magic High School
Quick Picks that ended Last Season: Gundam Build Fighters!!! Buddy Complex
Soma Taozi
Location: Singing 'By Your Side' to a bunch of soldiers in Club Eden.

Destiny_Gundam wrote:Macross has never had any shortage of silly. Frontier had plenty of it, and it's no worse than guys flying jets with guitar shaped controllers shooting speakers at things.
Never said Macross was never silly just this takes the cake. I was thrown off by the singing/flying Idols the first time I watched it and this time, although better, was still rather jarring.

Regardless of the silly parts previously shown in Macross they were just that...parts, this is taking everything silly about Macross and displaying it front and center .Often this kind of silly stuff doesn't come out until later in the series (or the movies), but we just jumped right in this time. But as Compass eloquently put it..."it's a cartoon! With deculture!" And he is completely right! :lol: I had fun with this first episode and I have watched other series for FAR less.

I wonder how newcomers are taking this first episode though...but then again, is this project even for them?
For 2000 years I lay dormant, now I have returned to bring good cheer to you all once again!

-Me, 7/19/2020
Destiny_Gundam

Newcomers seem to be fine with it. It's mostly the vets I see complaining about how it's "not Macross."
Ryujin

Destiny_Gundam wrote:Newcomers seem to be fine with it. It's mostly the vets I see complaining about how it's "not Macross."
'Wannabees posing as vets' is my impression; a lot of these are people whose first exposure was Plus, and haven't bothered with the original series or M7 at all. Then there are those who bought into the 'muh multigeneration-spanning Robotech epic masterpiece war dorama' side of things, which the detailed technical specifications on the various Macross mecha that have come out over the years has fuelled.

Of course, it should also be mentioned that people tend to have selective memories; I'm sure that a lot of fans who watched Macross as hyperactive children would mostly remember it for the cool transforming airplanes firing off Itano circuses and giant spaceships punching other giant spaceships (which in itself was jaw-droppingly silly AND awesome back when it first aired), and not for Hikaru's magical bicycle ride, or the Max-Miriya wedding, or Lynn Kaifun being creepy, or public displays of affection in front of spaghetti-spilling alien green giants.
Wingnut

Soma Taozi wrote:once the second song came on I was okay with the whole situation (head bobbing may have taken place.... :oops: )
Score another vict- ah, um, fan! for the song. Yeah. That's totally normal behaviour here.
Destiny_Gundam wrote:Newcomers seem to be fine with it. It's mostly the vets I see complaining about how it's "not Macross."
Yeah, the same Gundam "Vets" that bitch about AU stories too I'll bet. I consider myself a Macross veteran, and I'm loving this so far.
The Gundam wiki

R.I.P., SDGO.
Destiny_Gundam

Ryujin wrote:Of course, it should also be mentioned that people tend to have selective memories; I'm sure that a lot of fans who watched Macross as hyperactive children would mostly remember it for the cool transforming airplanes firing off Itano circuses and giant spaceships punching other giant spaceships (which in itself was jaw-droppingly silly AND awesome back when it first aired), and not for Hikaru's magical bicycle ride, or the Max-Miriya wedding, or Lynn Kaifun being creepy, or public displays of affection in front of spaghetti-spilling alien green giants.
Nostalgia goggles in full effect. This is further complicated by recent trends, mainly the idol anime boom. Love Live and shows of its ilk are the current 'cancer killing anime' and so some people block out the fact that something they love has anything in common with something they hate. Since Delta isn't protected by the goggles it's being seen as "just another crappy idol show" rather than the Macross show it is. Macross idols always reflect real world idols of the time so naturally Delta would show current trends. Don't be surprised if we get scenes of hand shake events, or huge scandals because they were photographed hanging out with Hayate at night.

Besides, Macross has always varied up it's types of singers. First you had your 'classic' idol, then you had your virtual idol, your rock band, your ritualistic singing, dual idols, and now you have a multi girl unit.
Iris Scope

I know it's too early but if by chance some member of Walkure were to be killed off, who do you think it would be? I think it would be Reina considering she's the least energetic when it comes to emotions based on her rebuttal of Chuck's offer to cook for her. Maybe the preference of eating the fish raw will be this series' pineapple salad. Speaking of Chuck, his playboy ways have me suspicious of him being the first Delta Squadron member to be killed off too.
Destiny_Gundam

I doubt it. Yuri bait characters typically have long life expectancies.

It'll be Kaname if anyone, since she's the big sister type and being an old lady (in idol years) means she'll have to 'graduate' sooner rather than later.
Henyo

Destiny_Gundam wrote:I doubt it. Yuri bait characters typically have long life expectancies.

It'll be Kaname if anyone, since she's the big sister type and being an old lady (in idol years) means she'll have to 'graduate' sooner rather than later.
as a big Yuri fan, i'm going to have to do some cross reference in that statement.i can only think of one yuri couple that managed to remain relatively unscathed in an darker and edgier work.(that woud Be Psycho Pass')

which means i really need to watch Simoun now.

on the butthurt note, another factor as to why there's lots of them is the Magica Girlness of the Walkure. does that mean some will blame Madoka Magic for this? you know since its the biggest entry in the genre. PreCure notwithstanding of course.
MOOK: ITS A YURI FANBOY!
Destiny_Gundam

Henyo wrote:i can only think of one yuri couple that managed to remain relatively unscathed in an darker and edgier work.(that woud Be Psycho Pass')
Well, I don't think the list of official yuri couples in shows like these is long enough for you to have many examples to draw from.

I'm just talking about bait characters. Reina and Makina are specifically stated to have a sibling like relationship, though that won't stop anyone from jumping to conclusions.

Such characters are there to draw in certain otaku so killing them off is counter productive. Take a show like Strain which killed off lots of people but left the two lesbians alone.

... Calling Macross 'darker and edgier,' even relatively speaking, is a silly notion anyways.
Henyo

Destiny_Gundam wrote: Well, I don't think the list of official yuri couples in shows like these is long enough for you to have many examples to draw from.

I'm just talking about bait characters. Reina and Makina are specifically stated to have a sibling like relationship, though that won't stop anyone from jumping to conclusions.

Such characters are there to draw in certain otaku so killing them off is counter productive. Take a show like Strain which killed off lots of people but left the two lesbians alone.

... Calling Macross 'darker and edgier,' even relatively speaking, is a silly notion anyways.

yer right on the listing part. after a little jogging of my brain, here's what i got.(i got the series with any kind of mecha action.) and even then only one is a canon couple.

Kannazuki no Miko, Iczer-1. Shattered Angels, Rinne no Lagrange, Idolmaster Xenoglossia. stretching things a bit, M Frontier.
The first 2 are the only series that where something bad happened to the couple.

although, i wouldn't really mind seeing an actual lesbian couple in this macross. COME ON KAWAMORI!!! the increased usage of idol tropes has already increased the possibility...and now i'm sounding like Generation 1 Perceptor.

on a side note about S.T.R.A.I.N-who are those characters? been a really long while since i watched this show which also happens to be a personal fave of mine. oh the irony. XD
MOOK: ITS A YURI FANBOY!
Destiny_Gundam

Henyo wrote:on a side note about S.T.R.A.I.N-who are those characters? been a really long while since i watched this show which also happens to be a personal fave of mine. oh the irony. XD

Lavinia and Jessie. Lavinia spent the whole series trying to get into Sara's pants and when she accidentally made out with Jessie in the showers, Jessie was totally into it.
Arbiter GUNDAM

I sorta missed the boat on episode 1 last week but let's just say that I quite liked the new ending to it. ;)

Initial thoughts on episode 2

The Macross Elysium has a huge (Captain) Johnson.

Welcome to the planet of catseals.

You've been PUNK'D.

That is all. :)
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
Compass

You know what, this world-building is just as good, if not better, than Frontier. I'll stick around for more :V
Watching: Black Bullet, The World is Still Beautiful, Brynhildr in the Darkness, Captain Earth, The Irregular at Magic High School
Quick Picks that ended Last Season: Gundam Build Fighters!!! Buddy Complex
Iris Scope

I guess tempers really do run in the Fallyna Jenius family. :mrgreen: Mirage needs to check that tone if she doesn't wanna regret in the long run possibly losing Hayate to Freyja.

As for the scare tactics audition Walkure ran on Freyja, it was so amusing in a sick kind of way to see all the effort that went into the prank but the look on her face when she realized she passed was worth it. Also, I didn't know Kaname worked as part of the bridge crew in addition to her duties as Walkure singer so maybe she'll be only injured in the future and pass the full time torch to Freyja.
Wingnut

Iris Scope wrote:I guess tempers really do run in the Fallyna Jenius family. :mrgreen: Mirage needs to check that tone if she doesn't wanna regret in the long run possibly losing Hayate to Freyja.
She must take after grandma a bit with that. Milla was scary when she lost her temper on occasion.

Still, that last scene was a bit justified.

Hayate: "I'll fly the skies with this beauty."
Mirage: "GET THE **** AWAY FROM MY PLANE!"
:lol:
The Gundam wiki

R.I.P., SDGO.