The Official Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans Anime Thread Mk II

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
domtropen

Re: The Official Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans Anime Thread Mk

If Galigali survives hope he fools McGillis to think he's dead :mrgreen: I doubt McGillis can immediately check for sure he is dead before fled the scene and it should take a while for McGillis to come back to check again as McGillis.
lingabao

It would be cool for GaliGali to show up in Ep. 49 to save the day in some previously unseen Gundam frame ...
Deacon Blues

I wouldn't be at all surprised if McGillis "killed" Gaelio in order to drop him out of the picture to get things in order... only to have him return by his side to aide in cleansing Gjallahorn (even though the scene sort of contradicts this).
Outlaw

Brave Fencer Kirby wrote:it's just that either he thinks that Carta, Gaelio, and the like would oppose his reforms so have to be removed preemptively, or else getting rid of them is the only way for him to get the authority he needs to enact his reforms in the first place.
I believe his monologue to Gaelio spelled out that their deaths were being used to consolidate his power.

Even if Gaelio doesn't come back I wouldn't be surprised if we saw some sort of Kimaris Rebake, a Gundam frame is a terrible thing to waste. Also hoping the Grimgerde carries over into season 2, it got very little screen time and didn't seem to get put through its paces.
"“As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up reasons to kill one another."
Kuruni

Hey, I just realize bit of symbolism. Both McGillis and Ein remark how Gaelio has pure heart, and being pilot of Kimaris make him a true knight in shining armor...a warrior of good heart - someone worthy of a place in Valhalla. And just like in the myth, a Valkyrie (Grimgerde) guide him there, cut his life short before he pass his prime.
My girlfriend was a loli.
YokozunaBulldozer

Outlaw wrote:
Brave Fencer Kirby wrote:it's just that either he thinks that Carta, Gaelio, and the like would oppose his reforms so have to be removed preemptively, or else getting rid of them is the only way for him to get the authority he needs to enact his reforms in the first place.
I believe his monologue to Gaelio spelled out that their deaths were being used to consolidate his power.

Even if Gaelio doesn't come back I wouldn't be surprised if we saw some sort of Kimaris Rebake, a Gundam frame is a terrible thing to waste. Also hoping the Grimgerde carries over into season 2, it got very little screen time and didn't seem to get put through its paces.
If it does reappear I assume it will be modified somewhat or just appear as is only to be replaced with a Epyon/Zeong equivalent shortly.
But despite being a new season and all I think there is a chance we will see it again.

On a unrelated topic, I wonder if they will go ZZ or years later.
Personally I look forward to it being years later.
Last edited by YokozunaBulldozer on Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SIXSHOT HAS NO GAME AGAINST SEVEN CHANGER
YokozunaBulldozer

Sorry, double post. My apologies.
SIXSHOT HAS NO GAME AGAINST SEVEN CHANGER
Amion

I'm yet to make up my mind on whether I want a lengthy time-skip or not. A brief one would be the most likely, as we still have a lot of development still to be had for a lot of the cast. On the other hand, a lengthy skip would provide interesting perspective. Depends on what we consider "long". Long as it ten or twelve years? Seven? Five?

Seeing Kuedelia as an old woman wouldn't work for me. She's still got far too much left to do and a lengthy skip would either achieve that off screen or leave her stagnant. (Or option three, she fails and falls in into relative obscurity after this) That would not please me. On the other hand, seeing Orga, Atra and Mika and some of the younger Tekkies grown up would be nice. But again the development of getting there would be lost.

And of course, the pacing. Just how much faster is Okada going to push this? I have to ask, since this season could have been faster and more fulfilled. Zeta and other shows accomplished more with less time, and they didn't need Bald Wizards to do it, necessarily, either.
They don't know the power of a balanced vision.
zetatype

Amion wrote:I'm yet to make up my mind on whether I want a lengthy time-skip or not. A brief one would be the most likely, as we still have a lot of development still to be had for a lot of the cast. On the other hand, a lengthy skip would provide interesting perspective. Depends on what we consider "long". Long as it ten or twelve years? Seven? Five?
I'm thinking of 2 years at the very least, but no more than 5 years. Enough time should pass for the political landscape and appearances of certain characters to change (I wanna see an older Atra), but not so much that the characters feel like totally different people. Definitely don't want all the development happening off screen.

Although, can we really call it Iron Blooded Orphans anymore if the main protagonists are (legally) adults?
Dark Duel

I don't see why not. Is the fact that they turn a certain age going to all of a sudden make them not be a bunch of folks who had no parents? I know the term is generally understood to apply to minors, but I don't think that should make a difference.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
Kuruni

It must be several years.

Why?

One thing surely to come is power blocks' arm race, and it require some years to develope new model MS. And new model MS = more gunpla.

Personally, I think it would be awesome if we start S2 with new protagonist, another mercenary group that happen to get their hand on a Gundam, with Tekkadan become legend among them. Of course, eventually Mika will take over the spotlight again, possibly by adopt the new group just ike how Turbines did to them.
Deathzealot

Kuruni wrote:Personally, I think it would be awesome if we start S2 with new protagonist, another mercenary group that happen to get their hand on a Gundam, with Tekkadan become legend among them. Of course, eventually Mika will take over the spotlight again, possibly by adopt the new group just ike how Turbines did to them.
Bite your tongue Kuruni! I really don't want another Destiny thank you. Other then that I agree the Time Skip won't be all that much. At most I think it is going to be a year to two years. Have to let the Tekkadan guys get back to Mars, inform Biscuits family about his death, relax, rebuild their mobile suit force, and other such stuff.
Dark Duel

Kuruni wrote:Personally, I think it would be awesome if we start S2 with new protagonist, another mercenary group that happen to get their hand on a Gundam, with Tekkadan become legend among them.
This part I don't necessarily have a problem with, because if done right it could be interesting, and it would provide a convenient excuse to double up on the good guys' Gundams - though the first season has conclusively proven that Gundams aren't necessarily inherently superior to non-Gundam-type mobile suits, depending on pilot skill.
Kuruni wrote:Of course, eventually Mika will take over the spotlight again, possibly by adopt the new group just ike how Turbines did to them.
KILL IT! KILL IT! KILL IT WITH FIRE!!!!!
As was pointed out above, this was one of, if not the absolute worst thing that GSD did, and I sincerely hope it never, ever, ever happens again.
Mind you I don't necessarily oppose bringing in the old gang along with a new cast, provided, as I mentioned, it's done right. But if the original cast are going to come along and kick the new cast out of the spotlight anyway, what's the point of introducing new characters at all? you might as well not bother and keep focus on the old gang from the outset.

In the case of IBO1 and Teiwaz/the Turbines, they didn't hijack the plot, they didn't hog the spotlight. They were merely supporting characters who helped the main characters after their introduction. And IMO the best way to balance a new cast with the old gang would be something like that, in which the new characters remain the focus, with the old cast supporting, or else with a handful (no more than 3-4) of the old characters sharing the spotlight with the new ones.
Allow me to present Exhibit A: Amuro, Char, Bright and the old White Base gang in Z Gundam, who do come back but don't completely hijack the plot.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
Amion

Dark Duel wrote:
Kuruni wrote:Personally, I think it would be awesome if we start S2 with new protagonist, another mercenary group that happen to get their hand on a Gundam, with Tekkadan become legend among them.
This part I don't necessarily have a problem with, because if done right it could be interesting, and it would provide a convenient excuse to double up on the good guys' Gundams - though the first season has conclusively proven that Gundams aren't necessarily inherently superior to non-Gundam-type mobile suits, depending on pilot skill.
Kuruni wrote:Of course, eventually Mika will take over the spotlight again, possibly by adopt the new group just ike how Turbines did to them.
KILL IT! KILL IT! KILL IT WITH FIRE!!!!!
I added some heated red coloring to your quote, Duel. 8) Just so it's not missed...

After all, I completely agree.

Sorry Kuruni. :?

Hmm...where hath Uncle Zeonista disappeared to? On an unrelated note.

An older Atra is a must. And she's clearly got a Fa vibe going with poor Mika's disability. Gives her lots of opportunity to work through his shounen walls of Oblivious.
Kuruni

Yes, I'm aware that it's the point GSD head to ground. But what I'm thinking is less of Kira & Shinn but more of Kinchaid & Tobia. Both can be count as protagonist, Kinchaid standout more when they're together but Tobia get more role and development, with enough awesome moment of his own.

Well, "takeover spotlight again" is really bad wording, sorry.
Henyo

and so the First Season ends. me and Dearest Mother enjoyed it a lot. she expressed great disappointment at the 6 month wait for S2.(which means i have to find a new anime that she'd like till then.) i can try and make her watch UC Re:0096 but i doubt she'll enjoy it that much. even if she did watched a few episodes of Zeta.
MOOK: ITS A YURI FANBOY!
Amion

Kuruni wrote:Yes, I'm aware that it's the point GSD head to ground. But what I'm thinking is less of Kira & Shinn but more of Kinchaid & Tobia. Both can be count as protagonist, Kinchaid standout more when they're together but Tobia get more role and development, with enough awesome moment of his own.

Well, "takeover spotlight again" is really bad wording, sorry.
Kinchaid and Tobia dynamic would be awesome, especially since Crossbone remains in the deep, dark depths of mangahood...and will forever remain.
Wellman

A time skip will ultimately be determined by what they want to do with the next season.

If they want a direct continuation with the same characters and roughly the same set up following the events of the first season it will be only a year to 3 years, mainly to just give time for the new status quo with the world system to shake lose after the events of season 1.

If they are going to want to have the same characters who look/sound relatively the same but be old enough that some of the younger characters like Almiria, Cookie, Cracker and the younger Tekkadan members like Ride to be old enough to be bigger players in the show. Then they will do it about 4-6 years time skip.

If they are going full on new cast with the old ones making guest appearances or becoming supporting cast which is unlikely but possible, then it would 7+ years.

Based off what usually happens with mecha anime that get second season's I am expecting option 1 but hoping for 2 or 3 because I would like to see the world and cast shown a bit older. But I also get that Mika and Atra are probably more marketable looking immature and moe-ish which may be where the money is being made for the franchise in Japan, I have no idea.

Either way, glad to get another season and I hope it continues the quality of the first and doesn't pull a 00 or worst out side of a few cool fights and scenes jumps over the anime shark like Code Geass or Aldnoah Zero did in their second seasons.
Amion

I don't think it will be as bad as Code Geass or AZ. There's clearly setup with McGillis that has me thinking the plot's further ahead than what we've been shown. Of course, that might just as well be thrown out the window if things are meddled with like with 00. . . and we get tons of standard tropes reenacted...
Deathzealot

God I hope not.