The Official Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans Anime Thread Mk II

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Amion

Re: The Official Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans Anime Thread Mk

Curse you Mika... :evil: Curse you.

Indirect Spoilers abound:

A very good episode, best one so far for me.
Spoiler
Poor Carta, this episode you became my favorite character. :( Her interactions with McGillis show that she had a great heart, despite being born in such a corrupted body as Gjallarhorn.
I also think the seiyuu did a marvelous job near the end of the episode. Anyone else feel that? Normally those kinds of scenes that focus their emotional impact through vocal tones alone don't throw me, but hers really felt realistic for someone in her condition.

Overall great voice acting has been a hallmark for this show, I think. Even where its animation department failed to deliver, its actors nailed the emotional notes time and again without missing a beat.

It does show how far Mika's come, this ep. Back in CGS, he accepted the proposal for a duel, or at least waited for Orga's word on it. This time he just skips to the berserk option and refuses to stop until his enemies lie dead.

Merribit does indeed have a very real concern, as Radioactive put it. I can't see them not wanting revenge, but they're personifying what happens when you start rolling down that road for its own sake with nothing to stop them at the end. Problem is, as Orga keeps bringing up, they don't really have anything else but fulfilling their mission to Kudelia. What's left to fight for but their revenge? After all, when the job gets done, Mars won't be offering anything new for them, so far as things are headed right now.

Oh, and that Kimaris Trooper. :D It sure does get me my mecha fix. Oh it's a crime that there wasn't more of the snow battle. We get so few real engagements in the snow. Wing and X are the few I can think off the top of my head that showed significant fights in icy regions. 'tis a shame. :)

Now, what happened to Ein, I suspected from the moment we saw that Graze hanging malevolently from the ceiling last time, but they did a good job of making the whole scene creepier. And you know what's so funny? It's as horrible to a viewer like me as it is to Galileo. And for no better reason than Ein's exuberance about it! :twisted:

Please oh please tell me this is not the end of IBO. They've taken things slow, which was chancy, but if we get a second season heavy in combat or with continued development, all'd be swell. Alas, two more episodes is NOT enough.
They don't know the power of a balanced vision.
doghunter1

Anyone know what the following mean in English, because they're supposed to be for the last two episodes:

24話「タイトル未定」3/20
ついにエドモントンに到着した鉄華団。
しかし鉄華団は、蒔苗東護ノ介が会議場へ到着するのを妨げようとするギャラルホルンの攻撃を受けてしまう。

25話「タイトル未定」3/27
鉄華団とギャラルホルンの激しい攻防戦が続くなか、新たなる脅威が現れた。
三日月は依頼主であるクーデリア・藍那・バーンスタインたちを守るために、単身でその脅威に挑む。
Source: http://gundamlog.com/archives/47057858.html
radioactive28

Amion wrote:Please oh please tell me this is not the end of IBO. They've taken things slow, which was chancy, but if we get a second season heavy in combat or with continued development, all'd be swell. Alas, two more episodes is NOT enough.
The director has done a marvellous job so far, and I think the pacing has been a very big part of it.

EDIT: Nope, second season has not been officially confirmed.
Last edited by radioactive28 on Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Amion

Confirmation? Where? >_>

<_<
radioactive28

Amion wrote:Confirmation? Where? >_>

<_<
Now that you asked, I searched and realised it's not official-official. It's just that someone noticed on Amazon JP, the OST is being introduced as the "BGM for Season 1 which aired from Oct 2015 to Mar 2016."

If there's no Season 2, a lot of characters will have to die within the space of 2 episodes, but Tomino's not at the helm...

More seriously though, doghunter1's Japanese sypnosis mentions a new threat appearing in episode 25. It's not over...
radioactive28

Some speculation after episode 23...

It seems like McGillis has some background story waiting to be revealed. It also seems like he's using Gaelio and Carta. I wouldn't be too surprised if this background of his is motivating him to destroy Gjallarhorn, instead of rebuilding it as he keeps claiming to be trying to do.

Gaelio and Carta were good friends, but it's possible they are symptomatic of the very thing about Gjallarhorn he doesn't like and so, he probably won't hesitate to sacrifice them.
Kuruni

Befitting Char clone, it's really hard to guess McGillis' plan. Here it look like he can manipulate his friends even if he really consider their friendship genuine. Again, befitting Char clone.

So they have sone new MW to mixed with the old TK-53 (appear to be from same line as those UW-33?).

Damn...when we called him Mecha-Ein earlier, who though it would be like this? Understandable that Gaelio is pretty shock though.

Poor Carta, she has no idea Mika already mark her head since the last time. Although I understand Meribit's feeling. That's very brutal battle and despite the BGM and how awesome it is, it doesn't feel heroic in anyway. I guess Makanai is right there, the group spend too long time be nice that we're kind of forgot that they're all child soldiers.

Ok...just two episodes left. And I've very bad feeling that it'll be huge blood bath.
My girlfriend was a loli.
YokozunaBulldozer

radioactive28 wrote:
Didn't think Ein was that seriously injured. Was that just a graphic showing only the important part - the AV system?
I hope you are right looking back now, I could have over read it.
It's just that given the nature of the show I would not be surprised if they actually did it.
SIXSHOT HAS NO GAME AGAINST SEVEN CHANGER
monster

radioactive28 wrote:More seriously though, doghunter1's Japanese sypnosis mentions a new threat appearing in episode 25. It's not over...
Then again, it could just be a "final boss" appearance.
mobiusdiablo

YokozunaBulldozer wrote:
radioactive28 wrote:
Didn't think Ein was that seriously injured. Was that just a graphic showing only the important part - the AV system?
It's just that given the nature of the show I would not be surprised if they actually did it.
Given what I recall from Ein taking the hit to the gut, it'd stand to reason he's at least gone from the waist down. While (hopefully) the diagram doesn't show the arms because it's a side view, it could stand to reason since he doesn't need them anymore and needs to stay in a tiny cockpit they did away with them.

I wonder if this extensive surgery and fusion to the Graze Ein is due to the fact he got the A-V system as an adult; as we see with the old salt dude in Tekkadan, they could've made Ein mechanical limbs if it was just a matter of an implant like the kids.

Also, I have to wonder. How does he EAT?! The brain needs nutrients, y'know! :P
From 00 S2 ep 25

Tieria: As long as you keep looking down on them, you'll never understand them!
Ribbons: *has Newtype-y flash of AGE, of Kio and his UNDERSTANDING replacing his show* I DON'T WANT TO UNDERSTAND!
lingabao

Am I the only one who saw Mecha Ein and immediately thought of Thunderbolt?

Probably not ... either way, this ep. continues with this series focus on the bloody aftermath of crushed cockpits. It's certainly a gruesome but realistic portrayal of mobile suit combat in the absence of energy weapons.
Chris
Administrator

People, can we please stop taking about a second season being confirmed via an Amazon listing for an OST? That literally means nothing, and we have yet to hear a report from an official source about a new season. Let's not keep spreading rumors until there's a credible report on it.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Wellman

I agree, shows have listings for season 1 all the time in DVD/Blu Rays and OSTs but that doesn't mean a second season will actually happen. At this point, one can only hope they announce it at the end of the season since two episodes doesn't seem enough to really wrap this up unless things get bloody and foolish which I hope won't be the case.
mobiusdiablo wrote:
YokozunaBulldozer wrote:
radioactive28 wrote:
Given what I recall from Ein taking the hit to the gut, it'd stand to reason he's at least gone from the waist down. While (hopefully) the diagram doesn't show the arms because it's a side view, it could stand to reason since he doesn't need them anymore and needs to stay in a tiny cockpit they did away with them.

I wonder if this extensive surgery and fusion to the Graze Ein is due to the fact he got the A-V system as an adult; as we see with the old salt dude in Tekkadan, they could've made Ein mechanical limbs if it was just a matter of an implant like the kids.

IVs I would assume, but basically from that diagram and the fact that they never showed his face, I am guessing it was a one time install thing so he may be permanently stuck inside his mobile suit, ironically Gaelio made his homeboy less human then those he insulted earlier. Speaking of him, this episode must suck for old boy I mean damn, now I know there is no way he survives he has to big of a beef with Mika at this point and unknowingly with his best friend McGillis for him not to get got before all this is over.

Brutal fight, although seriously McGillis plans are incomprehensible at this point other then blowing up everything his father is trying to do, which if true would be a true shame as he is right now the best Char clone since Wing and arguably better then both of the ones in that series.
Spoiler
RIP Carta, I will still ship you and Gaelio in my... I am too lazy to write the fanfiction.
BrentD15

mobiusdiablo wrote:
YokozunaBulldozer wrote:
radioactive28 wrote:

Y'know, now that got me thinkin';

Setsuna must be feeling two things about this:
Appalled....and jealous. :mrgreen:
"To you who will watch, I offer a heart filled with gratitude." -Yoshiyuki Tomino, Gundam Reconguista in G, Episode 25
SNT1

Whoo boy.

Both Tekkadan and Carta's team have taken cheap shots for cheap shots in their last bout (With Carta's cheap shot killing Biscuit), so they should have excepted more cheap shots coming. Because Mika does't give two fucks. That was brutal, even with one of Carta's subordinates dropping into a splatter of blood in the show. Battle wise, did we really expect anything different? I just hope Carta isn't dead yet. Maybe she can be mecha-Carta.

naaah. It's really disturbing what has become of Ein. Judging by how Gali-Gali reacts he probably wouldn't approve either.

I'm not really sure what the most disturbing part of this epsidoe is; kids openly embracing violence, Mika brutally murdering the Outer Orbit pilots, or Mecha-Ein being so joyous for what he can now do to take revenge. Ughh. Great episode though.
(>-.-)>-} >>---> \(x.x)/
Kuruni

I just realized the malice implication in McGillis' words with Carta earlier.

It's clear that McGillis request Inzario to assign Carta on this task to kill her off. And maybe as excuse to make it harder for Orga to write him as outright traitor, all of Tekkadan want revenge for Biscuit afterall and he give them exactly that.

From previous encounters we can tell that while Carta has misplace sense of chivalry, at least she's quick to response to situation. Thaere is a chance that she will drop the act and play a little more dirty here (destroy the rails and siege them, for example). But with McGillis' little push to remind her how she's a high and noble individual, the pride prevent her from doing anything like that and make her easy prey to Mika. Hell, even if Mika isn't in rampage mode, Rafter point out there's no reason to accept Carta's challenge since Tekkadan has 5 MS.
My girlfriend was a loli.
nacho-wan

This is a queer episode for a Gundam series. Mika was very unlike a traditional Gundam pilot going bersek like that at a proposal of a duel. His brutality is shocking even for someone with his background. Poor Carta didn't deserve to go like this, sure she was a fool by thinking she could outfight this savage children.

As for McGillis, he seems to have contracted the Char Syndrome. With so little time left he has starting random Char behavior. Selling out Carta doesn't advance his cause one inch, pity is that he will sold out Gaelio soon too probably. It is too late in the show for him to do a credible attempt at having the heirs of the Seven Star dying at the battlefield.

The Eins issue didn't hit me as hard as other members of this forum. On rearview it is quite creepy thing; way more creepy that Robocop -choose your version- because he is a 20 meter Frankenstein monster now -no way he can get back in society. McGillis is right when he says that Gaelio gave him what he desired, but this is inhuman and Gaelio understands it terribly.
Aun cuando mil millones de personas acepten una idea absurda, sigue siendo absurda.
Although a thousand million people accept an absurd idea, it still is an absurd idea
-Henry I. Miller
radioactive28

nacho-wan wrote:This is a queer episode for a Gundam series. Mika was very unlike a traditional Gundam pilot going bersek like that at a proposal of a duel. His brutality is shocking even for someone with his background.
Remember how he shot a tied-up prisoner in the first few episodes like it was the most natural thing to do? Forget about Dad's Gundam and the traditional pacifist protagonist.
Amion

I don't feel like McGillis sold Carta out. He's of course the Char, so it is possible, but he clearly respected and cared about her. I think he just decided to give her the chance for revenge she wanted. Let's not forget that they're technically soldiers, and knightly ones at that. It's not only his obligation but desire to help Carta redeem herself on the battlefield. It's dangerous, but that's just the fate of their birthrights, apparently, as well as jobs. He could have kept her away from the Tekkies, but he hasn't done that with Galileo and Ein, why her?

In fact, if we think about it, Carta's done more to hurt Tekkadan than Galileo/Ein have. She killed Biscuit, and escapes with her life. I think McGillis could be argued to expect that she'd just make it out again. After all, Galileo was there to rescue her. He was just a couple seconds too late...

Hmm, now. I must confess that until we know McGillis' true motivations and scheme, we can't judge him for being random. Let's wait and see if there's a final revelation by 25 before making that judgement. After all, Rau Le Crouset was a pretty random actor until we learned what made him tick.

On the topic of Mika: I don't feel he was necessarily over-the-top brutal compared to most other pilots, at lest in-universe. Melee weapons absent the shimmery beam energy to ionize the blood plasma of his victims leaves Mika's fights more vicious. That, and his foes were outside the cockpit at the time, and he took advantage. He was just being pragmatic at taking out enemies that could (and did) kill loved ones/comrades. It's bloody, yeah, but that's an inescapable fact of war.

What really makes Mika's move seem vicious is that he clearly wanted to do it, same as with him choking Galileo, and wasn't going to let their enemy's chivalry get in the way again. The blood aspect is just a side-effect of what happens when humans receive enough blunt force trauma.

*Sobs* Carta...
Dark Duel

Y'know, maybe it's just me being weird, but I was more than a little amused by the way the tundra confrontation played out. I mean, you'd think after Akihiro headshotted one of her blue-eyed-blonde pretty boys while they were posing last time around, Carta would've gotten wise to the fact that Tekkadan doesn't play by the rules she and her flunkies seem to.
But nope. She stands there, goes into a long-winded monologue about how she wants to fight them and the stakes, and then decides she's going to wait half and hour for them to get their act together - never even once contemplating the very distinct possibility that they - who have an absolute minimum of five mobile suits and a fair number of mobile workers, would have already been prepared for a possible attack.

And the fact that she and one of her flunkies were dumb enough to actually get out of the cockpit of their machines, thereby rendering themselves incapable of rapidly responding to an incoming enemy attack, is even more baffling. IMO, that strays deep into Too Dumb To Live territory. Predictably, as a result
Spoiler
the one who got out of the cockpit gets turned into a red smear on the snow, while the other one gets literally stomped flat.
And that's before he sets his sights on Carta herself.

Mind you, I'm not saying that Mika wasn't viciously brutal in combat against them, because he was. My thing is that Carta clearly was not expecting it, when any intelligent military commander should have.

Overall, loved the ep.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."