The Official Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans Anime Thread Mk II

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Dark Duel

Re: The Official Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans Anime Thread Mk

Even if you disregard The Origin and its portrayal of Zeon Deikun, you have to admit that his grandiose ideas about Newtypes as some kind of next stage in the evolution of humankind were thoroughly debunked over the course of the decades that followed.

But all of this is tangential at best to IBO and its series, so I would suggest moving that to a separate topic.

As for IBO, I find myself thoroughly enjoying the series as it progresses, and this last episode in particular, with Kudelia finally getting off her butt and making an overt move, was particularly entertaining.
Though the most fun part of all for me was how McGillis's disguise, despite being actually more thorough than the typical Man-in-a-mask we usually see in Gundam, was completely useless after all, though I do question exactly how Mika could tell so easily that it was him. I mean it's not like say, Char where he just wore a pair of sunglasses or a mask and otherwise looked exactly the same - the wig, ridiculous as it looks, is a lot more effort than anyone else so far ever put into their paper-thin disguises.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
Amion

Dark Duel wrote:Even if you disregard The Origin and its portrayal of Zeon Deikun, you have to admit that his grandiose ideas about Newtypes as some kind of next stage in the evolution of humankind were thoroughly debunked over the course of the decades that followed.

But all of this is tangential at best to IBO and its series, so I would suggest moving that to a separate topic.

As for IBO, I find myself thoroughly enjoying the series as it progresses, and this last episode in particular, with Kudelia finally getting off her butt and making an overt move, was particularly entertaining.
Though the most fun part of all for me was how McGillis's disguise, despite being actually more thorough than the typical Man-in-a-mask we usually see in Gundam, was completely useless after all, though I do question exactly how Mika could tell so easily that it was him. I mean it's not like say, Char where he just wore a pair of sunglasses or a mask and otherwise looked exactly the same - the wig, ridiculous as it looks, is a lot more effort than anyone else so far ever put into their paper-thin disguises.
Oh, you don't have to be crazy to be wrong. 8)

And maybe the flaw in his disguise is how his eyebrows don't match his wig. Clear giveaway, there. Of course, I don't think Mika saw the yellow brows in time to know that. He just sorta walked up and X-Ray vision!ed him.
They don't know the power of a balanced vision.
balofo

IBO confirmed for being the Gundam show with most QUALITY and lazy animation in history.
Kuruni

The shake hand scene, a very good simple scene which is both callback to the first episode and clear mark of how Kudelia's character growth since then.

Hmm...I though McGillis will give Orga a make-up name, but he claim it is Montag? Consider that it is the company's name, this make me wonder if he keep building this identity for years that in his mind it's as real as McGillis? (maybe even more so, be ing the indentity he made by himself)

Ok, Carta girl is really weird and look like her subordinates get used to it too. And she's childhood friend to Gaelio and has crush on McGillis... It's as if the staff pick a stereotype character and put that in a very unsual role for the archetype...result in quite funny character (if a bit seem to be out of place) that I don't mind at all.

The battle is great, especially the Isabiri's defenseline breaking part. The MS battle is also cool especially Barbatos vs Kimaris round 2 (although it's very short), and the re-entry battle.

Guess the next one won't have any battle again. But it will be the climax of this journey.
My girlfriend was a loli.
SNT1

This episode is full of insane in all kinds of ways, and I like it! :mrgreen: Too bad the preview looks like it is gonna be those "hanging out with the bros" filler.

Insane plan to use the Brewer's ship as shield, to the insane Carta, who looks and acts like a Ginyu Force pledge. Gali-Gali development is welcome. Ein, i thought will eventually stick around to get an AV transplant, but :|

Mecha battles are probably the best all season long; We see Kimaris getting a real speed advantage but Mika and Barbatos was better armed in that battle. I count that as Mika/Barbatos 1 - Gaelio/Kimaris 1 (I thought Gali was winning their first match until Rebake showed up). Mika using Kimaris's spear to kill? Cold bruh. With Grimgerde, Teiwaz girls, and the little Spiegels this is one big gunpla commercial that I enjoyed!

Also, Mars only has 37% of Earth's gravity. I'll suspend my disbelief but Tekkadan should be constantly pooping themselves in what essentially is a 3G environment :mrgreen:
(>-.-)>-} >>---> \(x.x)/
Outlaw

I liked the episode but, unless he miraculously survives I kind of feel like Ein didn't get much growth as he could have.

SNT1 wrote:Also, Mars only has 37% of Earth's gravity. I'll suspend my disbelief but Tekkadan should be constantly pooping themselves in what essentially is a 3G environment :mrgreen:
I expect a handwave excuse ala nanomachines or some such. Either that or they could get creative and say they've been slowly increasing the gravity on their ship while traveling to get acclimated.
"“As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up reasons to kill one another."
YokozunaBulldozer

Heckuva episode.
That was quite the heist.
I am not so certain but I sure hope Ein returns pretty much as Bootsvorz from Cyberformula with cybernetic implants and all.
And foxy Belldandy is hilarious.
Also the way she has a boyband for her lieutenants reminds me of Lady Pinky from Da Garn.
SIXSHOT HAS NO GAME AGAINST SEVEN CHANGER
Wellman

Outlaw wrote:I liked the episode but, unless he miraculously survives I kind of feel like Ein didn't get much growth as he could have.

SNT1 wrote:Also, Mars only has 37% of Earth's gravity. I'll suspend my disbelief but Tekkadan should be constantly pooping themselves in what essentially is a 3G environment :mrgreen:
I expect a handwave excuse ala nanomachines or some such. Either that or they could get creative and say they've been slowly increasing the gravity on their ship while traveling to get acclimated.

Who knows how they poop in space but I would guess their space suits are build for that.

Eh, depending on if this is 25-26 run or not they have another season promised they may never have enough time to do much more with Ein. He isn't the Char of the story and Gali Gali is showing to be less of a-hole like he first came off as thanks to Ein and stepping out of McGillis shadow (I am thinking/hoping he is the new Patrick) so I don't think he had a chance at being built up beyond loyal subordinate that is trying to redeem himself.

Unless they revealed he was gay, which would be very progressive, I don't see what more lies for him besides death or somehow growing past revenge at the very last moment.

Either way I liked this episode, seems like they really went graphic with the cock pit damage this episode plus everyone got a moment of being cool even the short eyebrow chick (with the obvious crush on you know who that has affected her choice of recruits) and the poor fool that got the bad end of a re-entry fight. Well, maybe Biscuit didn't get a moment to shine but I figure with ending preview and the title of the next episode he will get hit with the focus next time.
zetatype

Wahoo, Tekkadan has finally made it to earth and Mika does it in style by riding on the back of a Graze.

Despite some notable drops in the animation quality that was one hell of a fight; re-entry fights have always been some of the best in Gundam series and today's episode was no exception.

Gaelio comes charging in with an upgraded Kimaris, but this time Mika is ready and gives him quite a thrashing. Ein gets the upper hand on Shino this time, but has to make a last minute save and pays heavily for it. Its also nice to see the Turbine girls get their time to shine especially after being dormant for 5 epsiodes. And Kudos to Eugene for having balls of steel. My only nitpick is that the Grimderge debut was too short, hopefully we get to see it again soon.

Outside of the mecha combat we get a nice call back to episode 1 with Mika amd Kudelia shaking hands. Kabuki lady, aka Carta Issue, is a childhood friend of Gaelio and McGilis with an obvious crush on the latter.

Next episode the gang makes contact with the leader of the African Union. Biscuits looks like he'll be getting some attention and since the episode is called "Brother" I wonder if Savarin will make an appearance.
Outlaw wrote:I liked the episode but, unless he miraculously survives I kind of feel like Ein didn't get much growth as he could have.
I feel that if the writers wanted to kill off Ein they wouldn't have had his cockpit eject and instead would just have his graze explode. Chances are EIn will come back as some cyborg with the AV system implanted in him. Remember what he said about having the AV system installed in him last episode?
Last edited by zetatype on Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SNT1

I feel that if the writers wanted to kill off Ein they wouldn't have had his cockpit eject and instead would just have his graze explode. Chances are EIn will come back as some cyborg with the AV system implanted in him. Remember what he said about having the AV system installed in him last episode?
I too hope that it's a case of Chekhov's Gun here and he comes back as some cyborg-legged monster, himself acknowledging that as fact, with 6 AV implants hellbent on destroying Tekkadan in a 40-meter tall unit of mass destruction. Gundam Cliche I know but I'd still watch it.
(>-.-)>-} >>---> \(x.x)/
kabukigang777

if patrick in 00 is skillful he will be like gali-gali,ein will be the real enemy in the end because of revenge motives or if his dead the richnoob will give a revenge or him,gaelio is the noob in gundam never think before attack in world of tanks if you do his tactic people will call you noob and blame you,hate this gundam because the story is too few and short like watching a web show.
Last edited by kabukigang777 on Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:03 am, edited 3 times in total.
Dark Duel

This episode...
Well, I'll be honest I'm still not a fan of the Grimgerde. But seeing it in action, I hafta admit that it was pretty awesome. Likewise the rest of the battle, especially Barbatos v. Kimaris and the Rouei is pretty awesome; mind you I still like the Hyakuren, but from what I could see of it, I might like the Rouei even more. Hoping it gets gunpla too.

Other than that, I am gonna have to say that I also doubt Ein's dead just yet.

The real highlight of the episode, IMO, though...that had to be Eugene and his antics with the Isaribi and the scavenged Brewers ship, especially using the AV System to simultaneously control both of them. It was reckless, but so friggin' awesome. Though Barbatos skewering that Graze mid-reentry and then using it as a heat shield was pretty friggin' awesome too.

Can't wait to see what happens next!
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
Deacon Blues

I'm looking at this episode and pondering how season 1 is going to end and whether or not there will really be a season 2 or just an OVA that'll close up the series. Animation tanked terribly in this episode and thus far it doesn't look like the blu-ray releases of it are fixing any of the major errors.

I was a bit disappointed in the cliched atmospheric reentry scene. It seems that this is almost always a problem for Gundam... :/
balofo

Deacon Blues wrote: Animation tanked terribly in this episode and thus far it doesn't look like the blu-ray releases of it are fixing any of the major errors.
In this episode only? The whole series has been QUALITY, off-model mecha/characters, missing frames, bad or no backgrounds at all, lazy battle choreography, moving eyebrows, etc

The staff doesn't give a single f***
nacho-wan

Deacon. It's not cliche, its a Gundam requirement a la masked dude.

I loved this episode except the Gundam duel. As several of you commented, Tekkadan entrances was sublime. Their use of the chaff was impressive - I kind of think it was McGillis idea- but ramming the space station was sublime. It was sort of bloding the nose of the head bully at the schoolyard. Crowning moment of strategy.

I think the Kimaris battle wasn't that intense -it was dramatically saved by Ein. Mika and the old man's gotcha moment was great though.
Aun cuando mil millones de personas acepten una idea absurda, sigue siendo absurda.
Although a thousand million people accept an absurd idea, it still is an absurd idea
-Henry I. Miller
Amion

I confess the animation and artwork are not what I wish them to be. It gives me a solid feeling we won't be seeing a season 2, though clearly no one seems to have told the storyboard, they're still trudging along at 50 episode pace with not a care in the world.

As for the reentry, I cannot agree with you more, Duel. That scene with Mika riding the Graze down was as badass as can be. Way to show 'em. Kira and Amuro better be taking notes on this. Then again, most machines don't make it successfully through the atmosphere. The ZAKU Warrior from Destiny is the only one I can think of among mook suits that actually showed the capacity to keep its pilot alive through atmospheric entry (ignoring Katejina's Rig Shokew, I think it was supposed to be an elite unit).

It was nice to see Eugine developed a little. He's clearly still a young man who's idea of responsibility is taking a huge risk of his and everyone's lives to look cool. Typical teenager. Moments like these make them believable, to counter Orga's solid leadership abilities and Mika's miasma of competence.

And poor Atra. Seeing her cry for joy when she saw him not only alive, but undamaged Barbatos well, was priceless. You gotta love the girl with her adorable moments, even though her "I'm going to do Revolution!" should leave me cringing, she's the only one who can pull those kinds of things off.
Shinji_Shinigami

Well its been a long while since i last postet, so please don't mash me, when i might ask some questions that were answered (maybe) several threads back.

With that out of the way, i just have to say that i just love this Gundam show!
I think it's the first Gundam show that i can remember of, that has not used any kind of beam weapon. They stay (so far) at ballistic weapons or blunt melee weapons. Totally love it and it makes for some "equal" fighting?! well of sorts.

What makes me wonder the most, is the pacing. Yeah everyone says its a 25 episode Show, but it does not feel that way. Unless they rush the ending, which would be a waste, considering the potential of that Setting. I hope they leave an open ending with the addition of a Season 2, if it works out for them.

Which bringsl me to the next topic, the Gundam Frames. Was it ever explained, how some of them ended up in "questionable" locations, if everyone of them was Gjalaorn (however you write it) property to begin with? Were the Valkyrie Frames an opponent invention, given that a "war" needs more then just one party? And do you think that the classy bam weapons will be "invented"?
Amion

Shinji_Shinigami wrote:Well its been a long while since i last postet, so please don't mash me, when i might ask some questions that were answered (maybe) several threads back.

With that out of the way, i just have to say that i just love this Gundam show!
I think it's the first Gundam show that i can remember of, that has not used any kind of beam weapon. They stay (so far) at ballistic weapons or blunt melee weapons. Totally love it and it makes for some "equal" fighting?! well of sorts.

What makes me wonder the most, is the pacing. Yeah everyone says its a 25 episode Show, but it does not feel that way. Unless they rush the ending, which would be a waste, considering the potential of that Setting. I hope they leave an open ending with the addition of a Season 2, if it works out for them.

Which bringsl me to the next topic, the Gundam Frames. Was it ever explained, how some of them ended up in "questionable" locations, if everyone of them was Gjalaorn (however you write it) property to begin with? Were the Valkyrie Frames an opponent invention, given that a "war" needs more then just one party? And do you think that the classy bam weapons will be "invented"?
This has been touched on in the mecha thread, you may want to go check it out on the discussion of the twin ahab reactors the Gundams are equipped with.

As to the unknown location thing, that is as yet unsaid and mysterious. I have a suspicion but it's unfounded and we'll have to wait and see the end of the series to know. I will say we are probably not going to get an exact answer on that.

As for beam weapons, it could go either way. It feels like the Calamity War should have had them, but maybe not. Maybe the Ahab's have a power as yet unspecified that makes the weapons a suboptimal choice of firearm. For me, that's good. I want to see more mace bashing and piledriving.
BrentD15

From this point forward, I say we should disregard balofo's opinions as nothing but ZOINKposting, and treat him for the troll he is.
"To you who will watch, I offer a heart filled with gratitude." -Yoshiyuki Tomino, Gundam Reconguista in G, Episode 25
Amion

Well, sadly the animation for fights has been worth some criticism...