"Luna" Asteroids

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
doghunter1

"Luna" Asteroids

We have Luna II and Fifth Luna; the latter being what Char used for a Colony Drop at the beginning of CCA, so I have this to ask: Where are Lunas III and IV?
Gelgoog Jager

Re: "Luna" Asteroids

Assuming they were also brought to the Earth sphere, they could either be by themselves like Luna II and Luna V, or attached to a colony for resouce mining. In UC, Haman intended to attach the Cicero asteroid to the Core 3 colony in such fashion, and IIRC, in Gundam Seed Heliopolis also has an asteroid attached to it.

Other options include them being at the asteroid belt, as mid-way stations for the Jupiter energy fleet, much like Axis was supposed to function as before the Zeon remnants arrived after the end of the OYW.
Cardi Doorl

I wonder if they'd name an asteroid "Luna [#]" if it's not in the Earth sphere, though? Pure conjecture on my part, but a name like "Luna" is obviously taken after our natural satellite, so it's probably reserved for asteroids that have been brought to the Earth sphere. Sorta a "hey, we dragged this big 'ol rock here, like a sequel to the darn moon!". Goog J, I bet your first paragraph is more likely.

The third and fourth Lunas, I guess, and if they exist, simply haven't been involved in any notable events across the Gundam stories. Just doing their thing, orbiting Earth largely unmolested.
RPG TRINARY: Gaia
Die Anti-brutale Kraft: Cardi Doorl

Make sure to check out the RPG section!
Gelgoog Jager

Cardi Doorl wrote:I wonder if they'd name an asteroid "Luna [#]" if it's not in the Earth sphere, though? Pure conjecture on my part, but a name like "Luna" is obviously taken after our natural satellite, so it's probably reserved for asteroids that have been brought to the Earth sphere. Sorta a "hey, we dragged this big 'ol rock here, like a sequel to the darn moon!". Goog J, I bet your first paragraph is more likely.

The third and fourth Lunas, I guess, and if they exist, simply haven't been involved in any notable events across the Gundam stories. Just doing their thing, orbiting Earth largely unmolested.
This got me thinking: if Luna II is also said to be the largest asteroid brought to the Earth sphere, should we assume that other Luna asteroids might also be similarly big? I don't know how big Luna V may be in comparison to other more well known asteroids, but I suppose it might be possible Char chose it based on its size for maximizing the damage on Earth (and also the fact that unlike Luna II, it still had nuclear engines attached).

At least we can discard the "Luna" name being given based on the shape of the asteroids, given that while Luna II has a vaguely round shape, Luna V definitely doesn't.
False Prophet

Gelgoog Jager wrote:
Cardi Doorl wrote: At least we can discard the "Luna" name being given based on the shape of the asteroids, given that while Luna II has a vaguely round shape, Luna V definitely doesn't.
Correct! A lot of astrologists would say that the common conception of the moon as a whole is quite skewed.

Regarding its size, how many MS did participated in pushing it? I don't have a correct number, since the scene is depicted differently between mediums (this instant, it's between Gundam Musou and the movie). And, with the rough speed of the asteroid, the average propulsion power of Nu Gundam, Jegan, and Geara Doga, we can estimate the minimum weight of Luna V.

P/S: Just remember, does anyone know what was really in Amuro's mind when he stick Sazabi's cockpit on Luna V? Did he simply want to ensure Char wouldn't escape this time? Or he wanted to use the extra Psycoframe material as booster for his Newtype power? Maybe, Amuro had already sensed his death, and taking his lifetime adversary was the right thing to do?
doghunter1

False Prophet wrote:
P/S: Just remember, does anyone know what was really in Amuro's mind when he stick Sazabi's cockpit on Luna V? Did he simply want to ensure Char wouldn't escape this time? Or he wanted to use the extra Psycoframe material as booster for his Newtype power? Maybe, Amuro had already sensed his death, and taking his lifetime adversary was the right thing to do?
Wrong asteroid. That's Axis. Char threw Luna V into Lhasa early in the film. Also, we've gone off-topic.
Gelgoog Jager

A random idea, but could one of the missing Luna asteroids have been used for building one of the fused asteroid bases?

A Baoa Qu and supposedly Pezun were built by fusing two asteroids, so perhaps one of these missing Luna asteroids could have been used for such purpose and the resulting formation was given a new name or the name of the other asteroid in the formation.
Deathzealot

Hmmm....Isn't Luna II formerly 3 Juno, the eleventh largest Asteroid in the Belt? Therefore I could see the other Luna Type Asteroids as similar sized Asteroids.

PS. Funny enough I could have sworn that Luna II was supposed to be Ceres not Juno, but still.
excalibur2008

Deathzealot wrote: Funny enough I could have sworn that Luna II was supposed to be Ceres
Now I'm picturing a messy looking Spacenoid Federation MP sarcastically telling the Zeon POWs to get back in their cells and "wait for the revolution with all the other victims".