The Official Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans Anime Thread Mk II

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
zetatype

Re: The Official Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans Anime Thread Mk

double post
Last edited by zetatype on Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
zetatype

Wellman wrote:
Deathzealot wrote:Also the beginning of the opening is different as well with the Necklace in Kudelia's hand. Also during the part with Shino talking to a couple other guys the Ryusei-go is in the background instead of the regular Graze Kai.

Also.
lingabao wrote:*MINOR* spoilers below
- Anticipation of our 3 MS vs. entire garrison fleet
Heh. I think we are not going to get a fight between the apporaching Garrison Fleet and Tekkadan because of the scene in the Preview where they are let go for some reason.
Yeah, given that two out of the three are just getting used to their machines, such a fight early on without massive plot armor wouldn't be that good.
Agreed, and even if they were familiar with their machines it'd be quite a stretch to suggest they could fight off those odds, unless one of them is Kira Yamato reincarnated.

Since Kudelia's speech is not being censored thanks to Nobliss, Gjallarhorn probably won't kill her in front of a live broadcast for fear it will generate more uprisings that they aren't prepared for. Its also possible that the earth bloc leader who invited Kudelia is pulling some strings (it seems he will appear next week) though the former is more likely.
Last edited by zetatype on Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deathzealot

Maybe a little both. That is maybe why we see the Isarbi sailing through the Gjallarhorn Fleet without anyone doing anything in the preview. I can see the smug looks on a few Tekkadan faces now.
Kuruni

The riot escalate fast...and it's all according to Gjallarhorn's plan. Again, something similar happen here few years ago...

Hey, Spinner Rodi look pretty cool, too bad it take the worst role possible for a mech. I guess since they're rigged machine the nanolaminate simply doesn't function properly, and thus few shots at backpack are enough to destroy it. I really like how machine gun fire remain ineffective when it hit armored area, and few Spinner Rodi destroyed on screen are either by axe or exploding backpack.

Also nice to see Gaelio has his own moral compass, he used to be more of a reckless fool while McGillis was around.

And the best thing is that last episode really trigger big leap to Kudelia's character.

Heck, even Barbatos' smoothbore gun only stun those Graze and require mace smash to kill it for good. balofo may hate it, but I think it's good too see staff really stick to the rule.

Man, we have so many Gundam in previous series that Gundam vs Gundam is more of norm. Here, it feel like something special and unlike both matches against Gusion, I really feel that Mika is in danger while Kimaris dance around Barbatos. And the slash disk is indeed an interesting weapon despite how simple it is.

Ein got offend to see Crank's Graze in pink, can't blame him.

Hmm, when we first saw them together I can't imagine Ein and Gaelio to be such a good duo. Sadly this's likely mean more material to yaoi fangirls than anything else.
My girlfriend was a loli.
Amion

I don't know, Kuruni, I almost see a hint of disapproval from Ein at Gali Gali's reaction to the slaughter. Didn't he look away, as if he wasn't happy to learn Galileo isn't the callous aristocrat he might have first presumed?

In a way, I think we've misjudged Galileo. He's a friend of a man who, by all appearances, it readying to help the revolution, and as openly fighting Gjallerhorn corruption before reverting to Char Mode. Gali seemed to approve of dealing with the corrupt members of his military, seems only fair he'd think this whole operation distasteful as well. I guess I started to take him as being carelessly vicious when he attacks Mika. Of course, Mika attacked him and started choking his life away, so it's not like he had no excuse to want a dangerous kid dead.

This may be room for Ein to disobey his superior at some point where Galileo shows restraint while Ein just wants to kill his opponents. Speaking of, he can't be much older than Shino. these "children", the ones fighting at least, are more or less around his age, right? It would make a bit of sense for him to show less displeasure at killing foes his own age than it would be for Crank, where just about everyone else is a "child" from his perspective.
They don't know the power of a balanced vision.
Dark Duel

What's great about this show is that Gundams aren't shown to be god-stomping everything in sight the way they do in some other entries, whether justifiably or not. Mika's having to really work for his wins even against mooks, and I like that.
At the same time, the Gundams still are a tier above the average mobile suit, so that when another one shows up, the HSQ goes way up - it happened with Gusion, and now in this episode again with Kimaris. And AGAIN with the Gusion R launching. I have to admit, I'm a fan of designs that go outside the box, though I think the Gusion took it a little too far for me.
But apart from the boosters(which remind me a little too much of a pair of giant nuts hanging off its back), I am really liking the Gusion R's design.

Does Shino think he's in a Super Robot show? I mean, Ryūsei-Gō? Really? Not that it isn't cool and all, but still...kinda a goofy name IMO. Oh well. A great episode, not least of which because on top of the fight, we finally see Kudelia actually do something meaningful.

Shame about the Spinner Rodi jobbing so hard, I like that design. But then again, it makes sense in context, so I'm not gonna complain too much. Can't wait to see what happens next!

As for Gali Gali(I'm still LMFAO at that one)/Gaelio, jury's out. I'll wait a little more to see with him. Though as for Fabulous McGillis...Daaang, I'm not sure what looks goofier, that wig or that mask. Maybe the mask by a slim margin, because I'm not sure how he can see a friggin' thing with the eyeholes covered over, unless that surface isn't as opaque as it looks. Still looks goofy as heck though.
Then again, so did Harry Ord's bug-eyes glasses, and he was still awesome. So likewise, jury's out.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
Kuruni

Amion wrote:I don't know, Kuruni, I almost see a hint of disapproval from Ein at Gali Gali's reaction to the slaughter. Didn't he look away, as if he wasn't happy to learn Galileo isn't the callous aristocrat he might have first presumed?
My impression is that Ein is usually a honorable soldier as long as it does not involve Tekkadan (which he is willing to throw away his code of honor), so he feel some shame when he realize he doesn't see how vile the operation is until Gaelio explain it.

But yes, I think the climax of Ein's character would be when he actually has an absolute chance to kill Tekkadan, and either does it or finally show that he is still a honorable man who does not loss himself in revenge (either way, his action is likely to be the turning point of whatever event going on then).
SNT1

It was nice to see Mika not have the upper hand in combat for a while, though he gets a moment of Heero/Kira/Setsuna knocking down fools before Gali-Gali showed up. That was the fight that I was looking for. In fact, I almost consider it a trope reversal in Gundam that the good guys being the ones tag-teaming and outnumbering the (seemingly better) antagonist.
(>-.-)>-} >>---> \(x.x)/
Zeonista

The present episode was great fun, if one considers Gundam bloodbaths to be fun. (And I do, old school all the way, baby! :D) Kudelia finally stops being the McGuffin and takes a stand, and gets the lads to support her. Not that Tekkadan has a choice, they need to force their way out or get caught in Gjallarhorn's housecleaning. Teiwaz isn't allowed to interfere (yet) so the guys have to do it themselves. And they do, with some gusto, although it is not easy! Meanwhile McGillis Fareed continues to rock out his inner Slayer and cheer on a young woman who ought to be his enemy.

The clueless news media really has gotten raked over the coals by many people, but that is a feature, not a bug. One does get the impression that Gjallarhorn on behalf of their oligarchic patrons has selectively managed the news media to keep events vague, and therefore easily manipulated. However, this time they may have overdone it, and when Princess Scoop offers a deal, the news crew is quick to participate, and get the message out.

The mecha battles continue to put quality over quantity and repetitive MS-bashing. Kimaris is just as badass as Barbatos and Guzion, and Galileo walks the talk as a pilot. He manages to press Mika-kun some, and why not? He is finally facing an equal, and it is naturally a tough match. And just in case we forgot it is too easy-peasy, one of the Tekkadan guys nearly blows his brain trying to take Barbatos out early. However, Mika-kun's troubles allow Guzion Re-Bake and the Ryusei-Go! (punctuation required) to have some spotlight time too and help out in best team-effort style.
"I am fire. I am death. I am Hashmal."

"Discontent is the first step in the progress for a man or a nation." - Oscar Wilde
YokozunaBulldozer

So who here thought Corporal Giroro from Sgt. Frog after seeing Ryusei-Go? :D
SIXSHOT HAS NO GAME AGAINST SEVEN CHANGER
Amion

No clue where that's from. I was thinking super robot anime! when I heard it. That, and how it rhymes nicely with Shino's name.
YokozunaBulldozer

Amion wrote:No clue where that's from. I was thinking super robot anime! when I heard it. That, and how it rhymes nicely with Shino's name.
Sgt. Frog(originally titled Keroro Gunso literally translated as Sgt. Keroro) is a comedy manga-turned-anime from a while back about alien frogs that try to take over the world but fail to do so every time.
The show has some ties to Gundam being that the anime is by Sunrise and the titular sergeant Sgt. Keroro is a Gundam fanboy so there are constant references and parodies Gundam in the show.
Corporal Giroro is one of the members of the team and happens to have the similar body color and eyes(the ones painted on the sides of the head) like the Ryusei-Go.
Wellman

Honestly, I've heard of Sgt. Frog but didn't know all that but it wouldn't surprise me if that was the case. I hope it is, because that would make it less likely that they would have Shino die if his personal mecha was a homage/shout out to another in house long running series.
Kuruni

Speaking of death... I have mixed feeling when it turn out that the staff still remember how Barbatos' control system is harmful and Mika simply endure it without show any pain. They remember it is good thing, the potential of it make Mika and Atra become Kamille and Fa at the end of Zeta isn't as good.
Amion

Spoiler
I felt this episode was once again slightly too slow. If this were a Tomino series we'd have had at least one small battle for sure. Oh well, at least Kudelia has cried for Fumitan. She'd been holding it in for quite some while. It's nice to see her grieve and move on stronger than before.

Was it one of those boys who wrote "Fumitan"? Nice calback from earlier episodes.

So I guess the blonde boy is McGillis' brother?

And last but not least, we have a crazy Fuala Griffon like character now. and it appears its time for some more intense levels of fighting. Only question now is if the battles will become more frequent.
Destiny_Gundam

Funny how Macky is actually more thoroughly disguised than most masked men but Mika still recognises him instantly.

I'm happy to see Atra isn't being left out of the lovin'. Guess we'll see an OT3 after all.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
zetatype

Oh boy the political wheels sure are turning now.

As I expected Gjallahorn called off their attack and it seems I was on the mark about the african Union pulling some strings. I guess it goes to show that despite all the power and autonomy Gjallahorn has the Earth blocs have some level of influence or control over their actions, which in this case makes sense since I believe the Dort colonies are part of the African Union.

Despite being a breather/build up episode the pacing felt faster than the usual non-action episode. With the the arrival of Mcgillis we see the creation of new alliances, but also the straining of old ones. The reveal that Nobliss and Teiwaz are in cahoots with each other causes Orga to become suspicious of Teiwaz and may drive him to accept Mcgillis' offer behind Teiwaz's back. We also finally get our first look at the African Union's leader though I really don't know what to think of him atm.

On the character side of things we get a little backstory for Ein and why he respected Crank so much. Nothing special, but it does give him a little bit of much needed depth. On the Hammerhead, Akihiro sees Shino's dedication to training as a new found sense of responsibility, but Shino sees it as being able to get away from it not doubt still feeling guilty about getting his comrades killed back in episode 13. It also seems like Lafter is starting to fall for Akihiro or maybe I'm reading that wrong?

And finally we have Kudelia. While her speech was able to halt Gjallahorn's assault, she was basically putting on a brave face and flying by the seat of her pants. She is still inexperienced and is well aware of it, but its clear she is now on the road to bettering herself. Also, at the end I seriously thought Mika was going to kiss Kudelia right there in front of Atra when he was asked to comfort her, luckily Atra gave him more specific instructions.

Based on the preview it looks like we won't have to wait another week or two for the next battle and its an atmospheric re-entry battle so I'm really looking forward to it.
Destiny_Gundam wrote:Funny how Macky is actually more thoroughly disguised than most masked men but Mika still recognises him instantly.
Yeah, I thought Mcgillis was going to speak and Mika would recognize his voice, but he didn't even have to do that. The AV system must give Mika X-ray vision or psychic powers.
Last edited by zetatype on Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
Amion

It's clear we should accept Mika as a cyber newtype. The three whiskers give him vastly superior sensory perception. If that is the case, he might be able to read body language extremely well. Chocolate Guy walks with a slightly distinctive heir of confidence and charisma Mika might be more sensitive to than most.
YokozunaBulldozer

Am I alone when I say that I do not mind the less mecha battle heavy eps?
Just curious.
Anyhoo, I cannot wait to see where this journey takes Kudelia from here on out as we have 7-8 episodes or so left.
And I am liking Gaelio Hazuki more and more as they show him as someone who knows when to give credit when credit is due unlike the potential majority of snobs on his side.
Ein at this point feels like a cross between Saji, Flit, and Shinn and I am curious as to how far his grudge will take him.
Destiny_Gundam

I personally don't mind a lesser focus on action.

But if it's action you want, watch the newest episode of Schwarzesmarken.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."