Dark Duel's Shop-Fu and assorted artsy stuff

The place to share your artwork.
Dark Duel

Re: Dark Duel's Shop-Fu and assorted artsy stuff

Well, most of the head was, basically, copy-pasted over the frame - I put together the head separately, then added it into the image and colored it to match - including that part. But if you're referring to the part that's immediately behind the front horn, that's part of the shoulder and it's exactly where it's supposed to be.

And thanks
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
Turinu

Now that I look at it a bit more, you're right. The original head crest and the way it curves kind of throws it off and makes it look like it's part of the head, not the shoulder. Lol.
Dark Duel

Yeah, you're right. The base I originally used was the Lancelot Grail, which in turn was based on the original red-and-gold prototype design for the Lancelot, aesthetically. The first time I did this, I chose to use a mix of the Grail's and Vincent's head designs, with a few bits from the Lancelot.
This time, I used a combination of elements from the Lancelot and Lancelot Club's, but I ended up simplifying them by still using the Grail's head as a base.

I also did, as before, Air Cavalry and Conquista versions. In the latter case, I also substantially redesigned how I had the torso on it. But here you go:
DEAD LINKS REMOVED

After I finish my current fanfic project, I may do something with the idea that spawned these designs, or an X-Men Evolution fic. Haven't decided yet.
Last edited by Dark Duel on Mon Apr 18, 2022 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
Dark Duel

So, haven't done much of anything in a while art-wise. But it's around 0300 at the moment, I cannot sleep, and I decided to spend some time with Photoshop.
This is the end result. Basically a mishmash of parts from the three Burning Gundams, using the original as a base and modifying it using a selection of parts from Try and Kamiki Burning Gundams.
Haven't come up with a name for it yet. If we get a kit for KBG(which is likely) I will probably end up building this thing.

this is something else I've been working on. This one I'm working on building as well.
Last edited by Dark Duel on Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Gardner1701

I'd call the first one "Burning Kami Gundam" (Kami is Japanese for "God")

What do you think?
Dark Duel

The Burning God Gundam? That fits on so many levels :D
Anyway, two - actually, three - minor color variants

1. recolored outer calves a la NT1
2. recolored knees, two slightly different variants

Dark Duel

Here is another recolor of the second unit posted above, with a color scheme that, originally, was basically derived from the AGE-2DH, with a little more red. It ends up looking like TROMBE colors though :P

Gardner1701

If you're so good at this, remind me again why you don't take request?
Dark Duel

Because I don't. There was a period of time when I did, and it ate up far too much of my time. Then for a while I didn't have a decent software to do this stuff on, which is when I stopped accepting requests.
Besides, there are others here that are far better at this stuff than I.

On another note:
Epyon in its original colors(left) compared to a recolor I randomly did which started out by me color-swapping the wings and limbs, and then tweaking the resulting color scheme. Again, rather TROMBE-ish, and IMO much more ominous-looking than the original colors.

And just to complete the pair, here's Wing Zero with the original colors(left) and an alternate color scheme with a little more white/blue and a little less red, sort of a mix between the series and EW color schemes(right):

And then there's this. Because why the heck not?

Thoughts?
Last edited by Dark Duel on Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Amion

The Blue Wing Zero looks better than the original, or maybe it's just the altered scheme looking fresh to me. Not so hot about the dark Epyons or the Wing Epyon, though that shield would definitely hide that heat rod. :wink: As has been discussed in the mecha section of late.
They don't know the power of a balanced vision.
Dark Duel

So I recently noticed that all my older stuff that used to be hosted on Imageshack before I got my Flickr account seems to be gone :(
I started last week searching for my old custom Gespenst upgrade to reupload it, but seem to have lost approximately 100 GB's worth of stuff, probably when the hard drive crashed on my old laptop a couple of years ago :cry:

Anyway, so I decided to revisit the idea - which originally started out as me musing that for a purported "Gespenst MkIII", the AltEisen looked nothing like a Gespenst, and I used the more Gespenst-like Weißritter as a base.

This time around, I put it together as a hypothetical successor to the Gespenst, and gave it the model number PTX-017. Basically it's a trial mass-production machine as a possible next-generation EF production unit based on the PTX-series rather than the R-series.

So THIS is the stock Gespenst MkIV - based heavily on Weiß-chan, with some elements from the Alt as well, especially the head. The torso vents are actually adapted from the AltEisen Nacht as seen in Endless Frontier, and the legs are Weiß-chan's with the outer vents from the Alt. Except for the colors, this is basically what I had originally, only without the heat horn. The initial prototypes would be designated PTX-017, and it enters production as the RPT-017. Thus, both model numbers are included here.

THIS one is the PTX-017C(RPT-017C) Gespenst MkIV Custom, which is basically identical to the stock unit except for the heat horn and revolving stake - the same configuration as the first image I originally did, which had both the Alt's forearm-mounted weapons. Though I veeery slightly modded the revolving stake using Riese and Nacht bits for some small details.
I've done this stock coloration as well as several custom-color versions - more on that below.

EDIT: By the way, because I had it lying around, this is a picture of the pilot I'd originally put together. Would be either an Alternate Universe version of Excellen(sort of like Lemon Browning), or else the daughter of Kyosuke and Excellen.
I see her as a test pilot for the PTX-017, which would have a custom color scheme - like I said, more on that below. The name on the image(Lemon Nambu) assumes the latter scenario.
Last edited by Dark Duel on Wed Jun 22, 2022 11:51 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Dark Duel

Now, my original mod "Gespenst MkIII" had kept Weiß-chan's colors, and I'd done an upgraded version using some slightly modified parts from the ASK-G03C Rapiéçage as well, so I decided to recreate the same basic thing.
So the next batch of image show a custom-colored PTX-017C as well as the upgraded version, which i designated PTX-017C-SP3 Eisen Ritter. The ER is built from a MkIV Custom, and the colors would be the personal color scheme of that particular pilot - whose pic was also linked above.

I ended up deciding on a white/red/black color scheme instead of keeping it in Weiß-chan's original white/blue for the Gespenst MkIV Custom and EisenRitter.
The reason is mainly that IMO it works better as a callback to both AltEisen and Weiß-chan, especially since it would be developed from both.
So here they are:

PTX-017N Gespenst MkIV, Type Nambu. Armament: Plasma saber x2; triple machinegun x1; Ochstan Rifle(the standard model uses the M90 Assault Machine Gun instead). Note that Lemon probably would not pilot a stock MkIV, she'd pilot a custom-colored MkIV Custom - see below.

PTX-017NC Gespenst MkIV Custom, Type Nambu. Armament: Plasma saber x2; triple machinegun x1; revolving stake x1; heat horn x1; Ochstan Rifle.

PTX-018N-SP3 Eisen Ritter. Armament: Plasma Saber x2; 5-barrel autocannon x1; Magnum Beak x1; plasma horn x1; H.O. Launcher.

On the torso of each unit is this emblem, which I found on an image relating to the Record of ATX manga, and I assume is intended as an emblem for the ATX Team. That's how I'm using it, anyway :P
Last edited by Dark Duel on Wed Jun 22, 2022 11:53 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Dark Duel

Okay, so This is the Hi-Ochstan Launcher, the primary ranged weapon of the Eisen Ritter (The Gespenst MkIVs use the M90 machine-gun or the Ochstan Rifle used by the Würger or Falken, respectively). It's comparable in size to the Ochstan Launcher of the Weissritter, but its range and accuracy are substantially greater.
I designed it based on the Falken's Ochstan Rifle, with design elements inspired by the Weissritter Abend's Partisan Launcher.
Last edited by Dark Duel on Mon Jun 20, 2022 11:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Scorpio[pt]

really like the design , but the color scheme not so much
Don't take life too seriously.....no-one's getting out alive.
Dark Duel

Well, like I said, I was trying for something that evoked its predecessors, and settled on a Weißritter Abend-derived white/red/black color scheme for that reason. I'm also trying to get away from the predominantly white/black/blue color palette I tend to use a lot in my own Gunpla and custom art, so something in reds seemed to be a good compromise.
The one other possibility, I suppose, would be Alt's color scheme, but I haven't tried that yet.

I'd be curious as to your opinion for a good alternate color scheme as well.
Last edited by Dark Duel on Mon Jun 20, 2022 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dark Duel

So I got bored.DEAD LINK REMOVED - SEE NEW LINK BELOW
Based it on the "Second Victory" from the novels. Kind of an equivalent to the V2, only it looks just like the original V.
W/e.

I also messed around a bit with the Zanspine. First thing I did was remove the kibble on the shoulders(I think that holds its bits?). Then, I also did it in League Militaire colors, inspired by that LM Zoloat.

A few other odds and ends:
Red VF-25G Messiah

Blue YF-29 Durandal
Last edited by Dark Duel on Mon Apr 18, 2022 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dark Duel

Being bedridden, sick as a dog, and bored out of my skull, yet unable or unwilling to actually watch anything, I did more photoshopping.

F91S Gundam F91 Custom
Funny story about this one: I started out wanting to just take the Ver.Ka. lineart of the F91 and recolor it into the F91 Imagine's colors. Then it turned into a custom color scheme, to which I added the gold detailing from the Harrison Martin Custom F91. Then I decided to go ahead and make the same customization as I did to my HGUC F91 Blue Angel Custom, which has two forearm-mounted beam shields.
And this is what I ended up with. I kinda like it.

Just for the sheer hell of it, here is the same in predominantly blue colors instead.

And then there's this. I think I'll name him Alex Mackenzie. Or maybe I'll make his first name Max instead.

Dark Duel

Dark Duel wrote:So I got bored.
Based it on the "Second Victory" from the novels. Kind of an equivalent to the V2, only it looks just like the original V.
W/e.
Revisited this. this time used ver.Ka lineart.

Dark Duel

So I revisited the G-Hexa again out of boredom, and took a cue from the RGZ-91 ReGZ that appears in Unicorn to give it a simple two-tone color scheme that uses the two primary colors of the Lightning Gundam.

EDIT: I thought the colors were a little too light, so I darkened it slightly.
Thoughts?
Last edited by Dark Duel on Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Scorpio[pt]

looks good but prefer the older color scheme
Don't take life too seriously.....no-one's getting out alive.