The Official Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans Anime Thread Mk II

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Amion

Re: The Official Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans Anime Thread Mk

monster wrote:
Kuruni wrote:now the term "Gundam" is given new context, why should they bound by the look?
Has Gundam ever been bound by the look in-universe? I don't think there's anything that actually prevents anyone from naming their mobile suit, Gundam.
Wrong. If that Gunpla Box doesn't say it's a Gundam, it's not a Gundam. :D

The way I originally looked at it, was that each series tends to have intertwined reasoning for why something is a Gundam. For the most part it appears to be technology and the general design. The Guison has the tech, and it has the design under the armor.

But I think you're right, there truly isn't a real reason why anything can't be named a Gundam, in the definitive sense, I don't think. It just means a powerful suit styled like the RX-78, most of the time.
They don't know the power of a balanced vision.
Mythgarr

Well, in UC, it is the subsequent prototypes derived from RX-78 technology and given Gundam-face. The Gundam-face is a great psychological terror for the enemies.

In CE, it is also like that, the strong prototypes are called Gundams from the GUNDAM OS found in the GAT-X Series, and gundam-faces give strong psychological effects.

In AD, Gundams are named after GN particles powered mecha used by Celestial Being operatives. It's like their design code.

In AG, Gundams are purely given to the names of mobile suits designed by the Asuno family or capable of using AGE device.

in AC, Gundams are derived from Gundarium alloy, the strongest alloy used to make the gundam-faced MS.

in AW, Gundams are the flash-system capable mobile suits to be used by newtypes.

in FC, Gundams are the mobile fighter's names.

in post calamity wars, Gundams are named from the Gundam Frame, although we haven't been told what it actually is aside from the fact that all Gundams can be stripped naked.
Visit The Dreams
Amion

From what I understand the Gundam Frames have unique properties that make them impossible to replicate, same with how Ahabs can't be built save by Gjallarhorn. No doubt there's secrest to how the frame work that make them better structures to build with than your average Graze.
Kuruni

monster wrote:Has Gundam ever been bound by the look in-universe?
Sort of, in Prototype Rick Dias' profile, Char suggest that call it Gundam would be insult.
monster wrote:I don't think there's anything that actually prevents anyone from naming their mobile suit, Gundam.
And that's what make it worse. There should be no bound, yet they alway give "Gundam" the typical look.

This is especially bad in CE (hence why I say SeeD miss it), everything called Gundam on gunpla box has the typical look. Consider that "Gundam" in CE is nickname originated from their OS, you would think that they would at least take the chance to give us one or two non-typical look Gundam. Well, it does has excuse that several non-Gundam also have same look, maybe they just move the context in another direction.

Of course, on this side of fourth wall, we know that "Gundam's look" usually has better Gunpla sale. So I really shouldn't complain about that, I just think Gusion deserve more respect for its non-typical design.
My girlfriend was a loli.
Brave Fencer Kirby

What does and doesn't count as a Gundam has always been entirely arbitrary. Even when they try to set specific standards, they don't really stick to them consistently. (eg, Wing has gundarium-armored mobile suits that aren't Gundams, Seed has Kira's modified GUNDAM operation system adopted by OMNI's mass production suits and they're not called Gundams, 00 has things without true GN drives that are called Gundams, etc)

Basically, it's a Gundam if it's called a Gundam, and that's the only consistent criteria that there's ever been. Arguing about it is kinda silly.
Fighting evil so you don't have to!
Chris
Administrator

Jeez people, how many zillions of times are we going to have this debate? So much space wasted here and on every other forum for decades going on about this nonsense. Like Kirby said, it comes only to whether it's called a Gundam or not, and not what it looks like or anything else. End of story.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Kuruni

Well, just to be clear again, I'm not act like I'm smarter than Sunrise and declare Gusion isn't Gundam. I actually wish it will be well received by fans, so Sunrise might be more willing to give us more of Gundam without typical look.

In a way, it remind me of when Kamen Rider Ryuki was new. Back then fans cried foul about how it is not Kamen Rider too.
My girlfriend was a loli.
kabukigang777

Kuruni wrote:Well, just to be clear again, I'm not act like I'm smarter than Sunrise and declare Gusion isn't Gundam. I actually wish it will be well received by fans, so Sunrise might be more willing to give us more of Gundam without typical look.

In a way, it remind me of when Kamen Rider Ryuki was new. Back then fans cried foul about how it is not Kamen Rider too.
masked rider ryuki?i can still see it as masked rider all of them,this gundam series i hope to be like this series name ryuki, gundam vs gundam not gundam vs other MS.
Mythgarr

Well, Ryuki has his bug eyes under the dragons shaped faceguard, so I didn't scream it wasn't Kamen Rider.

When Hibiki was out, I screamed it's not Kamen Rider. Turned out it was not, it was originally made to be not a KR series but got repurposed. Here it is a main Kamen Rider who can't even ride bike!

I accepted the trinity's and arche as gundams, so I can accept Gusion as Gundam, but they better have good explanations why it's a gundam frame...
Visit The Dreams
Zeonista

Deathzealot wrote:Wow! A second Thread Already?
There has been a lot of good things to talk about. :)
"I am fire. I am death. I am Hashmal."

"Discontent is the first step in the progress for a man or a nation." - Oscar Wilde
kabukigang777

Mythgarr wrote:Well, Ryuki has his bug eyes under the dragons shaped faceguard, so I didn't scream it wasn't Kamen Rider.

When Hibiki was out, I screamed it's not Kamen Rider. Turned out it was not, it was originally made to be not a KR series but got repurposed. Here it is a main Kamen Rider who can't even ride bike!

I accepted the trinity's and arche as gundams, so I can accept Gusion as Gundam, but they better have good explanations why it's a gundam frame...
to me gundam is all about the combination of face i accept gaeon and dahack being called gundam, guison became gundam because of the frame inside i will put my bet on the pilot of it akihito suits it,it will be useless if he dont pilot it,only one gundam in tekkadan they cant rely to teiwaz they need more gundam if they need to win,in gundam 00 i remember they are 3 gundam but they lose to gn-x expect this series like 00 in battle or much worse.
Wingnut

Oh Atra. You have so much to learn about actual male/female relationships. Then again, when has anything about Tekkadan been normal?
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
cntr

That ED transision.

Amazing.
Mythgarr

Next week better be a blood bath.
This episode is another boring episode of human bondings. Ugh...
I got the feeling that the producer tries too hard to balance the earlier episodes bloodbath with mundane "feeling connected" things like this after the media back lash.
Those Man Rodi though, cute :D
Visit The Dreams
Amion

I didn't find the episode boring at all. It was enjoyable and human-centric. Many of us character lovers were lamenting earlier about their being nothing but action, and now the action lovers are lamenting about there not being enough. *Shakes head*

And some of y'all ask why Tomino-sama has a battle in each episode? To avoid scenarios like this where fans of different tastes are dissatisfied.
zetatype

Mythgarr wrote: I got the feeling that the producer tries too hard to balance the earlier episodes bloodbath with mundane "feeling connected" things like this after the media back lash
I doubt it. The thing that pissed off some people was Mika gunning down the CGS guys and Crank in cold blood back in episode 3. Mobile suit battles in general aren't bloody. That being said I hope we do get some more bloody moments like in episode 3.

Anyway, ok episode in my opinion. It's nice the show decided to give us some more backstory on Akihiro, Takaki, and Atra, and Orga's interaction with Merribit was entertaining. Next week we finally get our next big fight , but I think the show should spread out its character focused stuff more in the future as the family theme is starting to wear a bit thin especially after three episodes in a row.
cntr wrote:That ED transision.

Amazing.
I seriously thought Takaki was gonna bite the dust there until Mika's timely arrival. Though he's not out of the woods yet.
SNT1

3 straight episodes of exposition, generic anime tropes/interactions and not much else. The pace of this series is glacial. The last four episodes (including the Teiwaz encounter/skirmish) should have been condensed down to two; they're really not making me care more about their sisters or their families with extended flashbacks and explanations. The "we're family" bit is quickly accelerating to be more eye-roll worthy than Vin Diesel's in the Furious series.

More mobile-suit skull-bashing will fix this slippery slope of boringness.
(>-.-)>-} >>---> \(x.x)/
Chris
Administrator

Mythgarr wrote:Next week better be a blood bath.
This episode is another boring episode of human bondings. Ugh...
I got the feeling that the producer tries too hard to balance the earlier episodes bloodbath with mundane "feeling connected" things like this after the media back lash.
Those Man Rodi though, cute :D
Nope. Anime is produced on a schedule with quite a bit of lead time before it airs. I highly doubt anything in the first cour would have changed over this so-called "backlash" that isn't even that big of a deal.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
nacho-wan

zetatype wrote:
I seriously thought Takaki was gonna bite the dust there until Mika's timely arrival. Though he's not out of the woods yet.
Well, he and blondy raised a lot of flags in a couple of minutes of dialog. I was surprised to see Barbatos. I thought they were going to cut the episode when the third mecha pulls the knive. You have to give to Mika to do flashy last minute entrance.

I did like the episode, but they sure should put some more action. This is way too soapoperadish for being called Mobile Suit Gundam. Hope next episode makes it while for waiting so long for actual ms combat.
Aun cuando mil millones de personas acepten una idea absurda, sigue siendo absurda.
Although a thousand million people accept an absurd idea, it still is an absurd idea
-Henry I. Miller
zetatype

nacho-wan wrote: I did like the episode, but they sure should put some more action. This is way too soapoperadish for being called Mobile Suit Gundam. Hope next episode makes it while for waiting so long for actual ms combat.
Now that i think about it, episodes 8-10 (most of episode 10) is probably the longest a Gundam series has gone with out any ms action. Even 0080 or Turn A didn't have this much of a gap. Of course that's excluding recap episodes otherwise I think SEED would hold that record.