The Official Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans Anime Thread Mk I

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Mythgarr

Re: The Official Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans Anime Thread Mk

SonicSP wrote:
Mythgarr wrote:What is the mission of this anime in showing that one of the character practice polygamy and his harem seems to be happy with it?
The culture of space is scarce in resources and it's better to focus on a single man with many children from different mothers than support lots of men and lots of mothers?
If he is rich, then the idea that people want to join his family isn't surprising. Like what was mentioned, if resources are even more scarce, that makes it an even more attractive proposition. It's common for kings to have a polygyny situation (one men with many women) in ancient times even if resources are scarce for the average person, who usually can't afford them. It's because kings are rich and can personally afford it in addition to them actually wanting their bloodline to survive as well as possible. Resource distribution among the population is usually uneven with some people being richer than others.

It doesn't appear to be a normal thing anyways, given the reaction of the other characters to finding it out. At least not one of this magnitude. He's just a rich guy who can afford it.

I wonder whether polygyny is more common at the start of PD calendar though? If a lot of people died in the hugely destructive war, it would be one way to encourage population growth. Even moreso if a lot of men happened to have died for whatever reason. Resource limitations may be an issue but population growth is also an important aspect to grow your economy, especially people of working age. Many countries today are entering into long term economic issues because of aging populations, mainly because the baby boomer generation is starting to retire.

In the past, post war populations will have a good chunk of widows, children, and crippled men. Many of the widows of the conquered populations will be used as slaves or concubines and their children sold or be absorbed into the families of winner party. It can be seen as beneficial to the widows and children or can be seen as an abuse, depends on the cultures.

That's why polygamy are plenty in the past. To think that a space faring community can look at it without batting an eye can be seen as their pragmatic way of thinking: the dude is rich, providing, and protecting, so let's fussing no further and marry him.

The next problem would be the siblings rivalries in the future and their need of expanding the families otherwise genetic bottleneck will occur (unless they have genetic engineering to such a degree that harmful recessive genes can be cut out), that would definitely be a potential for disasters and endless battles, just like the past 600 years.

On the aging populations, SonicSP, I don't know whether you're saying that there are too many old people in your country or the young ones are less numerous than the old one. If the former, rejoice, you can see yourself reaching old age in your country, if the later, well, go and make more children!
Visit The Dreams
Kuruni

Alternately, as Amion pointed out in previous page, consider the dynamic Naze has with Orga it's highly possible that the whole Hammerhead crews/harem were with him since he was much younger.

In other words, it's what likely happen if Ichika Orimura (or other "battle harem" genre hero) isn't a blockhead.
My girlfriend was a loli.
SonicSP

Mythgarr wrote:On the aging populations, SonicSP, I don't know whether you're saying that there are too many old people in your country or the young ones are less numerous than the old one. If the former, rejoice, you can see yourself reaching old age in your country, if the later, well, go and make more children!
The latter I believe. Not enough young people to support the retiring/retired population.

It's not an issue yet but our economists predict we are on a collision course fairly soon - sooner than most people would assume. We're a middle income country that's on the verge of becoming a high income country in the next few years so it's not something we are equipped to handle with. Still we're not exactly Japan in terms of severity or some other advanced economies. But our economy is maturing and having far less growth than the past on average (which I guess is normal). Some even say we are stuck in the "middle income trap".

The cost of raising children is increasing as well so it's not exactly an incentive. Cost of living in general have increased quite a lot lately.
Mythgarr

Kuruni wrote:Alternately, as Amion pointed out in previous page, consider the dynamic Naze has with Orga it's highly possible that the whole Hammerhead crews/harem were with him since he was much younger.

In other words, it's what likely happen if Ichika Orimura (or other "battle harem" genre hero) isn't a blockhead.
but the only one his age is his first wife, the den mother. The other would probably lolies by the time he was young.
Visit The Dreams
monster

Mythgarr wrote:The next problem would be the siblings rivalries in the future and their need of expanding the families otherwise genetic bottleneck will occur (unless they have genetic engineering to such a degree that harmful recessive genes can be cut out), that would definitely be a potential for disasters and endless battles, just like the past 600 years.
That's only a problem in isolation, which doesn't seem to be the case here.
SonicSP

Mythgarr wrote:
Kuruni wrote:Alternately, as Amion pointed out in previous page, consider the dynamic Naze has with Orga it's highly possible that the whole Hammerhead crews/harem were with him since he was much younger.

but the only one his age is his first wife, the den mother. The other would probably lolies by the time he was young.
To be fair, it's hard to tell some specific characters' ages in this anime. Kudelia looks like a teenager now but she looks exactly the same nine years ago when she made her famous speech.
Kuruni

Mythgarr wrote:

First, we don't have official age for Hammerhead's crew, do we? They may be just older than their look.

Second, you're talking to me, and I see no problem with man dating loli. :mrgreen:
JDogindy

I feel wrong for posting here as a Gundam fan, but I have been very unimpressed with the series. It bothers me especially because I really liked Reconguista in G (it's actually one of my favorite installments), which makes me even more of a leper because the characters of IBO haven't really impressed me and I haven't really liked many of the moments throughout the series so far.
Mythgarr

Kuruni wrote:
Mythgarr wrote:

First, we don't have official age for Hammerhead's crew, do we? They may be just older than their look.

Second, you're talking to me, and I see no problem with man dating loli. :mrgreen:
I would be very upset if the younger girls have children that are kindergarten age. That means they are impregnated during teens :|
Visit The Dreams
Kuruni

Well, you have right to upset at it, I too upset with many things with no reason at all. But that doesn't make it wrong. Put my bias toward lolicon aside - if it's legal, the couple are happy about it and have resource to properly raise their child, and the medical is good enough to make it safe, then I see no problem.
kabukigang777

about kimaris gundam i guess the pilot is Gaelio Bauduin aka chocolate man,because of color and his motivation to kill mikazuki
Xenosynth

nacho-wan wrote: You might want to check the Gundam on the preview. The face is too straight; Barbato's is rounder. I think it is Kimaris without the armor. Teiwan's supposed to have a Gundam Frame, right?
Err, given the episode screenshots it looks like it is supposed to be the Barbatos?
jroy1117

There seems to be the theme of family running through this show. The Tekkadan crew have no family (besides Biscuit which is an interesting exception), Gjallarhorn engages in child marriage, people from Jupiter (Teiwaz) seem to engage in polygamy, but the only nuclear family we have seen so far is Kudelia's parents (and her father agreed to sell her out to death). Let me ask you guys, does this serve any deeper narrative purpose? Does the seeming dysfunction of family life help illustrate the dysfunction in this world?
I Want You for the War on: U.C. Puritans, Wing Jihadists, and Seed Zealots.

"Veni, vidi, Deus Vicit"
Kuruni

Geez Amida, that isn't really a subject to discuss with Atra. I guess age of consent in Teiwaz is pretty low, possible along the line of pre-1920 America.

Look like Ein going to walk the path of dark avenger...

And we see Orga's coolness slip again, this is pretty nice. And once again I see Lenny and George from Of Men and Mice in Mika and him. Orga may be brain of the two and Mika will act on his guidance, yet it's Mika that drive Orga on how he would act and here, he keep himself cool as he know Orga will loss it.

And....I can't be only one that feel nostalgia when they depart after party, right? That's how it often end when you're young, almost see myself in Biscuit's place.

Damn, at this rate Kudelia's fan art will be filled with yuri ones.

Lets say I just like the crazy scientist guy who work with Barbatos.

Pretty great for breather episode, characters' development/exploration is nicely done here.

Look like we will see bit of Atra and Mika's past in next episode.
Wingnut

Kuruni wrote:Geez Amida, that isn't really a subject to discuss with Atra. I guess age of consent in Teiwaz is pretty low, possible along the line of pre-1920 America.
I doubt she was saying that Atra go out and get herself a husband right away. Just that one day, she'll make a good wife to someone.
And we see Orga's coolness slip again, this is pretty nice. And once again I see Lenny and George from Of Men and Mice in Mika and him. Orga may be brain of the two and Mika will act on his guidance, yet it's Mika that drive Orga on how he would act and here, he keep himself cool as he know Orga will loss it.
Well, someone had to look after Orga when he got drunk and started upchucking everywhere he went.
Damn, at this rate Kudelia's fan art will be filled with yuri ones.
I doubt there will be much complaining about that.
Lets say I just like the crazy scientist guy who work with Barbatos.
He certainly went nuts over being able to go all out on a Gundam frame. I suppose after 300 years, that's both a once in a lifetime historical opportunity and a way to leave your mark on it.

Anyone else get a Yakuza style family vibe from the whole ceremony and stuff leading up to it, or was that just me having flashbacks to the first game of that series?
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
Kyuzo Aoi

To be honest I can't still believe the woman whom Orga met in a bar has the same voice actress as Lacus Clyne from SEED. It has been more than ten years since Rie Tanaka voiced a Gundam character.
Spoiler
Well, I think contrary to what we saw about Fumitan typing something, she might be a red herring after all. Merrybit was more likely to be the spy for McGillis and co.
I am a Gundam!
Dark Duel

First reaction when I started watching this episode and McMurdo Barriston turned up...IT'S PAPA BEAR!
Episode doesn't really give us much to go on where McMurdo's concerned, though he does seem to be mildly culturally-confused. I'm not sure whether he's supposed to be Italian or Japanese, but I get a vibe off Teiwaz in general that seems to be a mix of both, leaning a little towards the latter. Clearly meant to evoke a mob boss though. And he's just as clearly a clever man, and one with a specific agenda in mind.

Atra is just unbearably cute, as usual. That entire conversation with Amida was a little awkward though.
Barbatos gets stripped down to its frame, and apparently is going a fairly comprehensive overhaul...which means that I guess it's gonna make a difference in performance, but as for armament...
Well, we'll see.

Story keeps moving along, with a heavy focus on Orga and how he sees the others, which I appreciate. And I can't wait to see what happens next.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
Amion

Today's episode was great. It's low-key, and somehow it fills a perfect dynamic counterpoint to Exodus as it continues to escalate up the ladder of epicness it's been fearlessly climbing.

It really does feel like the Cowboy Beebop of the Gundam Franchise. I'm warming up to the characters more. Hopefully things start moving toward Earth soon.
They don't know the power of a balanced vision.
Destiny_Gundam

jroy1117 wrote:There seems to be the theme of family running through this show. The Tekkadan crew have no family (besides Biscuit which is an interesting exception), Gjallarhorn engages in child marriage, people from Jupiter (Teiwaz) seem to engage in polygamy, but the only nuclear family we have seen so far is Kudelia's parents (and her father agreed to sell her out to death). Let me ask you guys, does this serve any deeper narrative purpose? Does the seeming dysfunction of family life help illustrate the dysfunction in this world?
The only dysfunctional family is Kudelia's. Tekkadan and the Turbines are quite happy with each other, and McGillis is taking his situation in good humor (they'll only marry when she's of age anyways). The message here is that families come in all different forms and are equally important.
Kuruni wrote:Geez Amida, that isn't really a subject to discuss with Atra. I guess age of consent in Teiwaz is pretty low, possible along the line of pre-1920 America.
She was basically telling her that her and Kudelia could always share Mikazuki if it came to that. Atra's response assures there will be no OT3 here.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
Mythgarr

Another episode without mobile suits bashing each other?

The family and familization is good and all, what with the talking of growing up, making families, men having ample libidos to satisfy women, and manliness in sweating men, but please, this is MOBILE SUIT GUNDAM not SPACE FAMILY!. More gundam bashing things, mobile suits got destroyed, etc etc!

We have enough anime telling people to go out and meet with people and fall in love and copulate and make children! We don't have enough mobile suit-using macho shirtless men fighting each others!

Enough drama! More blood splattered! More metals flying!

(I think I see too much Garo and Gangsta lately...)
Visit The Dreams