The Official Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans Anime Thread Mk I

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
jroy1117

Re: The Official Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans Anime Thread Mk

That was an very intense episode and I solidly approve of this episode. It was a hardcore slug-fest where the protagonists found themselves on the wrong side of the scales. After watching the episode a second time I find myself enjoying it even more then the first.
I Want You for the War on: U.C. Puritans, Wing Jihadists, and Seed Zealots.

"Veni, vidi, Deus Vicit"
nacho-wan

What I liked from this episode is that the battle turned costly for Tekkadan. They just simply can't outsmart or outbattle everyone out there. If not for the hijack, they would have lost pretty much their MS squat. Quite the gambit from Orga; btw did anybody suspected a Macross attack from the Isabari or it was just me?

This series is sure taking a detour from the beaten path right?
Aun cuando mil millones de personas acepten una idea absurda, sigue siendo absurda.
Although a thousand million people accept an absurd idea, it still is an absurd idea
-Henry I. Miller
Mythgarr

Has Gravity Wave been present in previous gundam series before? I am not sure it has, but here we are, inside a worn out looking interplanetary ship that surprisingly has gravity generator!

And the battles so far doesn't feature lasers! Just melee weapons, physical harpoons, and metallic bullets!

This is Battlestar Gundam-ica, folks!
Visit The Dreams
domino

Anyone know why Eugene had to connect himself to the ship? We can clearly see him reaching behind his neck as if to connect via the Whiskers. That may be why he was the only one who could do it? What exactly was it he had to do though? I can only imagine that the release of the boarding crew during such a manuevre required extreme precision so the Whisker connection was absolutely essential

Where did Orga go? Was he one of the crew that boarded the HammerHead?
E08

I'm not sure what Eugene was doing, but I don't think he was contacting to the ship as there is no port of any sort on the back rest of the captain's chair. You can get a clear view of the chair's back rest around episode 6, 5:51. As for why Orga left the commanding to him, it maybe because Eugene used to lead the boys before Orga's arrival at CGS (if i remember correctly).

You can see Orga leading the boarding troops when Naze was shown the footage of the intruders.
Deathzealot

Also what was with the little scene between the blond haired kid and that MW Pilot right before the boarding action?
PowerdGNFlag

Deathzealot wrote:Also what was with the little scene between the blond haired kid and that MW Pilot right before the boarding action?
It's called a death flag.

Or less cynically, it's a way of showing the bond between boys that the environment has foisted upon them.
Well, I guess I'm a nobody...
zetatype

domino wrote:Anyone know why Eugene had to connect himself to the ship? We can clearly see him reaching behind his neck as if to connect via the Whiskers. That may be why he was the only one who could do it? What exactly was it he had to do though? I can only imagine that the release of the boarding crew during such a manuevre required extreme precision so the Whisker connection was absolutely essential
If that was the case then wouldnt it be more efficent to have Eugene pilot the ship? Maybe it wasn't so much the manuvers that needed to be percsise, but rather the timing of when to give the boarding team the go ahead to disembark.
E08 wrote:I'm not sure what Eugene was doing, but I don't think he was contacting to the ship as there is no port of any sort on the back rest of the captain's chair. You can get a clear view of the chair's back rest around episode 6, 5:51. As for why Orga left the commanding to him, it maybe because Eugene used to lead the boys before Orga's arrival at CGS (if i remember correctly).
But Eugene is clearly wearing the whisker attachment on his back. At about 13:28 the scene even pans to the left to give the viewer a better look at it. So it must be connected to somewhere one the ship. Though leadership ability could have also been a reason he was left in command.
Kuruni

Another great battle.

And...that's how to use loli in their purest form, to cheer up people. Kudelia and Atra really work well together as characters.
My girlfriend was a loli.
domino

zetatype wrote: Maybe it wasn't so much the manuvers that needed to be percsise, but rather the timing of when to give the boarding team the go ahead to disembark.
Yeah, that's what I was thinking - I mentioned the release during the manuevre and not the manuevre itself

I wonder if "Fellini" has a soft-spot for the space rats because he has had the same operation himself? It sure seems like he is keenly aware of the operation and its potential complications
iguanaman8989

domino wrote:I wonder if "Fellini" has a soft-spot for the space rats because he has had the same operation himself? It sure seems like he is keenly aware of the operation and its potential complications
It's probably more of a general abhorrence to what the operation entails and implies about how they were treated, instead of anything specific to his backstory.
Amion

Wasn't the kid who was staring at his hand a friend of the guy who died? The one who he shook hands with was the freckled kid's older brother, or at least they had similar facial characteristics. Might be the blonde one is just remembering the last time he helped someone climb into one of those mobile coff-err, mobile workers.
They don't know the power of a balanced vision.
E08

zetatype wrote:
E08 wrote:I'm not sure what Eugene was doing, but I don't think he was contacting to the ship as there is no port of any sort on the back rest of the captain's chair. You can get a clear view of the chair's back rest around episode 6, 5:51. As for why Orga left the commanding to him, it maybe because Eugene used to lead the boys before Orga's arrival at CGS (if i remember correctly).
But Eugene is clearly wearing the whisker attachment on his back. At about 13:28 the scene even pans to the left to give the viewer a better look at it. So it must be connected to somewhere one the ship. Though leadership ability could have also been a reason he was left in command.
Wearing the whisker attachment doesn't mean anything, it seems to be their normal space attire. If i'm not mistaken, even the kids have them on when they were taking Kudelia's lesson in episode 6.
monster

E08 wrote:Wearing the whisker attachment doesn't mean anything, it seems to be their normal space attire. If i'm not mistaken, even the kids have them on when they were taking Kudelia's lesson in episode 6.
Those kids also had the operation so they also have the system in place.
Deathzealot

Yeah but we have seen them without the Whisker Attachment before, mainly with Mikazuchi and Akihiro.
monster

Deathzealot wrote:Yeah but we have seen them without the Whisker Attachment before, mainly with Mikazuchi and Akihiro.
It's probably some kind of an adapter/opening in the suits, and not part of their bodies. But if they don't have the system within their bodies, then they wouldn't have a need for it either.
bertman4

Ryujin wrote:I really enjoyed this episode, as well. The battle had a...rawness to it that the inherent toughness of the machines involved made possible. My only major complaint was how Akihiro's Graze was suddenly in a position to smash up the leg of Azee's Hyakuren with no run-up whatsoever.
Battle was exciting but fundamentally flawed. Okada really does not understand physics. Why would taking evasive maneuvers cause the ship to lose speed... in the vacuum of space? As cool as closing in under cover of "smoke" was, reversing your vector in such a short time would very costly. I had the same complaint with episode 5. No understanding of orbital mechanics or the gravity well. But I can forgive it as Gundam is not science and bending reality for drama's sake is perfectly acceptable even in hard scifi. Plus the tech is not explained well regarding Ahab reactors. It is the Minovsky particles of this universe.

Regarding Azee vs Akihiro, it sounded like she moved in to cover Amida which is shown as a pilot shot but the mobile suit was not animated for, well, budgetary reasons.

Looking forward to the next episode and more character drama which is Okada's strength.
E08

monster wrote:
E08 wrote:Wearing the whisker attachment doesn't mean anything, it seems to be their normal space attire. If i'm not mistaken, even the kids have them on when they were taking Kudelia's lesson in episode 6.
Those kids also had the operation so they also have the system in place.
Yes, i know they have the operation. What i mean was just because they have the whisker attachment doesn't mean they are going to do some work that requires it. The space attire part was merely referring to the fact they quite often have it on. So, Eugene having the whisker attachment on doesn't necessary means he needs it to captain the ship or anything like that.
zetatype

E08 wrote:
zetatype wrote:
Wearing the whisker attachment doesn't mean anything, it seems to be their normal space attire. If i'm not mistaken, even the kids have them on when they were taking Kudelia's lesson in episode 6.
True, but there seems to be a cable coming out of Eugene's Whisker attachment. It would also explain why Eugene took his coat off.
domino

Eugene was definitely reaching behind his back to touch his Whisker attachment when he looked back and saw Kundelia.

There's also the coat coming off that is a big lead-in. I'm sure he did something to help the Mobile Worker crew (kinda) safely leave the ship and board the HammerHead. Whether it was just opening an airlock with exquisite timing (same as what he needed when he boarded the asteroid perhaps?) or just communicating when they were to launch - is the question.

I'm thinking that since Eugene was able to survive launching onto the asteroid and such that he was trusted to guide all of the other Mobile Workers in performing a similar death-defying manuevre