Frozen Teardrops ends officially!

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Henyo

Re: Frozen Teardrops ends officially!

GVmanX wrote:I dunno, guys. Sitting through Frozen Teardrop sounds more fun than sitting through the latter half of Wing TV. At the very least, this throws all logic out the window from the get-go. Maybe it would revitalize the Gundam Wing yaoi fanfic community. I personally want to see a Zechs/Holo-Zechs mpreg fic.

BL FAN KITTTTAAA!!!!!

from what i've seen onlinem BL fans in mecha anime are going strong. the male/male good friends combo certainly helped in that regards.(just look at Aldnoah fanarts.)
going back to Wing, i could probably sit through the Tv series. i have never finished it in dubbed form.
i want to fully see David Kaye's(YES~) performance as Treize.

there's an idea. dubbing the FT picture drama. Scott Mcneil! Brad Swaile!
MOOK: ITS A YURI FANBOY!
Epic SA-X Guy

Did FT ever go into what happened to Mariemaia? Y'know, aside from being crippled?

Did it also confirm whether or not she's the real deal?
doghunter1

Can anyone please translate what is being said here? Because it relates to the end of this novel, and I'm not sure what was found about it in 4chan should be trusted.
Deacon Blues

The part that kills me is that Mariemaia is a clone of Leia Barton... Leia had blonde hair in the manga, didn't she? Lol... unless we're tampering with genetics.

So glad this trainwreck is finally over. Maybe now they can showcase Blazing Shadow, which is a more Seal Team 6-esque novel.
Tears which should have been frozen, melted and streamed down from Relena's eyes.

Wiping them away, Heero quietly whispered into her ear.

"Take a look, Relena."

"Huh? What?"

"I'll throw away the name Heero Yuy just like you did. My soul will shine. No, will continue to shine."

Heero hands her a letter.

"You finally wrote me a letter."

Relena opened the letter. Inside was a phrase wrote in English.

"Your sight, my delight. Will you marry me?"

Relena nods her head solemnly.
doghunter1

Deacon Blues wrote:
Tears which should have been frozen, melted and streamed down from Relena's eyes.

"Take a look, Relena."

"Huh? What?"

"I'll throw away the name Heero Yuy just like you did. My soul will shine. No, will continue to shine."

Thanks
Epic SA-X Guy

"Take a look, Relena."

"Huh? What?"

Oh god. I'd say it really is like a bad fanfiction except that most/all of the bad Wing fanfiction usually ends with Heero marrying Duo instead.
Deacon Blues wrote:The part that kills me is that Mariemaia is a clone of Leia Barton... Leia had blonde hair in the manga, didn't she? Lol... unless we're tampering with genetics.
Was it explicitly stated Mariemaia was a clone?

It's not impossible for two non-ginger people to end up with a redheaded child, especially if they've got a redheaded ancestor somewhere in their lineage. Treize had light brown hair, Leia had blonde hair, it's quite likely both of them had the necessary genes.
Admiral Larsen

After reading all of that, I think I need to wash my eyes out, preferably with acid. And I wince at what this...story has done to the Wing characters. I hope to heck that this never ever gets animated.
J-Lead

Admiral Larsen wrote:After reading all of that, I think I need to wash my eyes out, preferably with acid. And I wince at what this...story has done to the Wing characters. I hope to heck that this never ever gets animated.
It hasn't really done anything. Wing's cast were always a bunch of theatrical goofballs with fluctuating levels of common sense and self-preservation. Frozen Teardrop just continued the trend as far as logic would permit (as strange as that sounds, considering this is Frozen fucking Teardrop.)
"I'd show Loni the power my parents gave me if you know what I mean."
Epic SA-X Guy

J-Lead wrote:Wing's cast were always a bunch of theatrical goofballs with fluctuating levels of common sense and self-preservation.
But you see, that made sense for Wing because the Gundam pilots were all boys. Boys hardened by war but teenage boys nonetheless. The older characters like Zechs or Treize also weren't much older.

In Frozen Teardrop all the characters save Heero and Relena are supposed to have grown up and matured. The story also seems to focus on a lot of the main characters' ancestors, who are also supposed to be more mature. They're supposed to have grown as characters, it doesn't make much sense for them to be much much more extreme versions of their teenage selves.
AmuroNT1

Well, now I know it'll never get animated. If they produced an official story where Heero and Relena got married, the fangirls would riot.
Sakuya: "Whatever. Stop lying and give up your schemes, now."
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

-Touhou 07.5 ~ Immaterial and Missing Power
ShadowCell

pshaw, sure they'd riot, but then they'd settle down when they realize it will mark the rise of an entire genre of illicit heero/duo affair/love triangle doujin and fanfiction
Wingnut

That's when we break out the rationale/logic of the mega particle canon and shoot/bash them over the head with it. It's so refreshing when they hit that particular wall and their arguments officially mean nothing.

Let them riot. We have tear gas, tasers, and mace.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
Amion

You may need more than tear gas and tasers. Might want to bring the mobile suits, preferably several gundams.
They don't know the power of a balanced vision.
Mimeblade

This thread is full of haters (I hope a Colony drops on you jerks)... all I gotta say is, Gundam Wing is a lot of things, but most definitely it has always been a wild ride in terms of plot.

I'm looking forward to further future content (especially artwork).
Mimeblade

On a related note, I also am interested in Sakura Asagi's artwork for Gundam Wing... if there was artbooks from her too.
Soma Taozi
Location: Singing 'By Your Side' to a bunch of soldiers in Club Eden.

Mimeblade wrote:This thread is full of haters (I hope a Colony drops on you jerks)... all I gotta say is, Gundam Wing is a lot of things, but most definitely it has always been a wild ride in terms of plot.

I'm looking forward to further future content (especially artwork).
As someone who has never read Frozen Teardrop, but was never a fan of Wing, even I have heard...unpleasant things about the material (TVtropes is not kind to it). I am fairly far removed from the Wing fandom (a girl who isn't a fan of yaoi doesn't help), that being said, those on this thread are generally people whose opinion I respect especially regarding content story-wise. I trust that the reasons they don't like FT are perfectly justified, facetious comments aside, and if HALF of what I have heard about these novels are true...I can't blame them.

At the same time, because I am so far removed from the Wing fandom I'm interested to hear what a fan of the material has to say about it: What do you like about the material? I am a fan of things that many people have problems with, so i'm always willing to listen to another opinion. I don't care about Wing or its universe, so if FT is enjoyable on some level and gets an anime, that is great...if it is as bad as these folks on this thread say it is...well...I will have a (hypothetical) anime to drink too.

Win, win for me ;)
For 2000 years I lay dormant, now I have returned to bring good cheer to you all once again!

-Me, 7/19/2020
Amion

I don't...really know anyone on here who truly enjoys them, save Balofo, and he likes them for the fights.

Basically it goes back and does what Destiny did to the original cast...magnified by ten. This wouldn't be quite so bad, just really stinky fanfiction, if it weren't that the plot itself simply doesn't make sense. It reads like the brainstorming attempt for several different shows, then has them all mashed together with no attempt to make them lucid for a reader. That's just from reading the mecha thread's synopses of the chapters. From what I hear the actual novels offer no more clarity either.

Basically, the major complaints aren't just the story content, Soma, but also how it's presented in a confusing, convoluted, maybe even arguably unprofessional way. The questions "was Sumisawa under the influence?" isn't typical online flaming. Frozen Teardrop literally evokes that kind of response from those trying to make sense of it.
They don't know the power of a balanced vision.
AmuroNT1

While I've never once denied that Wing has its flaws, I resent the suggestion of "It was crappy to begin with, why are you so mad about one bad sequel?" It annoys me about as much as when people say things like "Wing is only popular with yaoi fangirls and nostalgia-blind idiots who haven't seen better Gundam shows". I've been putting up with this crap for over 15 years, and if anything it's only gotten worse, since it kind of feels like there are people who have a sort of anti-nostalgia (for lack of a better term) where they remember the show in a more negative light or exaggerate its flaws.

(I will say though, if you simply aren't a fan of the show, that's fine; I don't begrudge people for different opinions. The problem I have is when someone acts like their opinion is God's Law and insults or talks down to people who disagree.)
Sakuya: "Whatever. Stop lying and give up your schemes, now."
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

-Touhou 07.5 ~ Immaterial and Missing Power
Mimeblade

Soma Taozi wrote:As someone who has never read Frozen Teardrop, but was never a fan of Wing, even I have heard...unpleasant things about the material (TVtropes is not kind to it). I am fairly far removed from the Wing fandom (a girl who isn't a fan of yaoi doesn't help), that being said, those on this thread are generally people whose opinion I respect especially regarding content story-wise. I trust that the reasons they don't like FT are perfectly justified, facetious comments aside, and if HALF of what I have heard about these novels are true...I can't blame them.

At the same time, because I am so far removed from the Wing fandom I'm interested to hear what a fan of the material has to say about it: What do you like about the material? I am a fan of things that many people have problems with, so i'm always willing to listen to another opinion. I don't care about Wing or its universe, so if FT is enjoyable on some level and gets an anime, that is great...if it is as bad as these folks on this thread say it is...well...I will have a (hypothetical) anime to drink too.

Win, win for me ;)
Bolded points I will discuss:
---TV Tropes is never accurate nor a divining rod for what good there is about anything, much less what's bad about it.
---The fact you're not in to Yaoi puts you on my friend list automatically (I'm a guy who isn't in to Yuri or Pairings in general by the way). Pairings were NEVER the reason I got in to Gundam Wing, the romance was more of an ironic thing that just happened as the plot went on. I laughed whenever Heero did, basically.
---Justification can come out of anything, but not all fans agree with that justification. I have just as many reasons for liking Wing as some people hate it.
---If I had to say what I like most about Gundam Wing... it's the "Alice in Wonderland"-like feeling you get as you look at how the plot spins out of control, like how every character is staring down their own personal rabbit hole of complex feelings and problems they have to deal with (even if those problems hardly make a lick of sense in some cases). The Gundams themselves kindof symbolize what's absurd about war in general, and when you think about all the things the Gundam pilots have been through, and if you had to go through that as well, you'd be laughing like Heero too (ala Kilgore from Full Metal Jacket). Even Treize Khushrenada's attempts to romanticize war are absurd to me.
Soma Taozi
Location: Singing 'By Your Side' to a bunch of soldiers in Club Eden.

Amion wrote:I don't...really know anyone on here who truly enjoys them, save Balofo, and he likes them for the fights.

Basically it goes back and does what Destiny did to the original cast...magnified by ten. This wouldn't be quite so bad, just really stinky fanfiction, if it weren't that the plot itself simply doesn't make sense. It reads like the brainstorming attempt for several different shows, then has them all mashed together with no attempt to make them lucid for a reader. That's just from reading the mecha thread's synopses of the chapters. From what I hear the actual novels offer no more clarity either.

Basically, the major complaints aren't just the story content, Soma, but also how it's presented in a confusing, convoluted, maybe even arguably unprofessional way. The questions "was Sumisawa under the influence?" isn't typical online flaming. Frozen Teardrop literally evokes that kind of response from those trying to make sense of it.
Hmm...so those comments regarding FT I thought were facetious...weren't? :shock: I will admit that in an attempt to understand Frozen Teardrop I have tried to read chapter summaries without much success. I figured it had to do with translation errors or just bad summaries, but if what you said is correct...then I may have to reevaluate a few things.
AmuroNT1 wrote:While I've never once denied that Wing has its flaws, I resent the suggestion of "It was crappy to begin with, why are you so mad about one bad sequel?" It annoys me about as much as when people say things like "Wing is only popular with yaoi fangirls and nostalgia-blind idiots who haven't seen better Gundam shows". I've been putting up with this crap for over 15 years, and if anything it's only gotten worse, since it kind of feels like there are people who have a sort of anti-nostalgia (for lack of a better term) where they remember the show in a more negative light or exaggerate its flaws.

(I will say though, if you simply aren't a fan of the show, that's fine; I don't begrudge people for different opinions. The problem I have is when someone acts like their opinion is God's Law and insults or talks down to people who disagree.)
I am unsure if this is directed at me or not...if it is: that was not what I was saying in my post. My point was that I was never into the Wing fandom so if Frozen Teardrop were bad it does not affect my love of the original, due to the fact that I never had much of an opinion on Wing in the first place. Thus I felt I should get some various opinions regarding Frozen Teardrop, to try to objectively see it for what it is...good or bad. Mimeblade seems to like Frozen Teardrop so I wanted to see why, considering you all on this thread have made your opinions on the opposite side clear (smile).

And my yaoi comment was a reference to the fact that I know (and am friends with) other girls online who like Wing for a central reason of their male pairings. I am not into that stuff, which make my entry into Wing that much harder since I can't even look at the story for superficial reasons like that.

If this wasn't directed at me, sorry for the misunderstanding! It is sometimes hard to tell.
Mimeblade wrote:
Bolded points I will discuss:
---TV Tropes is never accurate nor a divining rod for what good there is about anything, much less what's bad about it.
While I agree that TV Tropes is not to be taken seriously and I enjoy the site on a purely mindless sense (it is hard to escape once you start...so much wasted time...). I just noticed a pattern that Frozen Teardrop is often discussed in a negative light there. Much more one-sidedly then say...Destiny or other poorly received anime.
Mimeblade wrote: ---The fact you're not in to Yaoi puts you on my friend list automatically (I'm a guy who isn't in to Yuri or Pairings in general by the way). Pairings were NEVER the reason I got in to Gundam Wing, the romance was more of an ironic thing that just happened as the plot went on. I laughed whenever Heero did, basically.
Well there is nothing wrong with being into Yaoi or Yuri, I generally prescribe under the notion of letting people like what they like as long as it doesn't hurt others. I can't really speak about Heero or Relina, but if you aren't a fan of the pairings...doesn't FT have A LOT of stuff to do WITH said pairings?
Mimeblade wrote: ---If I had to say what I like most about Gundam Wing... it's the "Alice in Wonderland"-like feeling you get as you look at how the plot spins out of control, like how every character is staring down their own personal rabbit hole of complex feelings and problems they have to deal with (even if those problems hardly make a lick of sense in some cases). The Gundams themselves kindof symbolize what's absurd about war in general, and when you think about all the things the Gundam pilots have been through, and if you had to go through that as well, you'd be laughing like Heero too (ala Kilgore from Full Metal Jacket). Even Treize Khushrenada's attempts to romanticize war are absurd to me.
Interesting take on Wing, I have not heard of that before, if I ever try a rewatch years down the road I will endeavor to keep that in mind. Although that is a fascinating take on Wing...is that the reason you like Frozen Teardrop? Because it is so crazy and, as Amion said before, nonsensical? If so, that is fine, again I am trying to look at this stuff objectively especially since it ended.
For 2000 years I lay dormant, now I have returned to bring good cheer to you all once again!

-Me, 7/19/2020