The Official Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans Anime Thread Mk I

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Mythgarr

Re: The Official Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans Anime Thread Mk

But Orga is a greedy man, he wants better things as soon as yesterday!
Visit The Dreams
Dark Duel

Yeah, unless said fancy ship's name is Kurogane, ramming is always going to be a concern. (I still lament that the "Let's ram the Kurogane!" TDTL moment from the game didn't make it into the anime, but that's a totally different conversation)

As for the Isaribi, I rather like it. I don't think they necessarily need a bigger ship. Might be interesting to see how they'd pull it off though - I don't think we've seen a shipjack by the good guys too often - only examples that come to mind offhand are the Freeden II and the Eternal
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
Calubin_175

Also just realised that Gundam Info has all those Nishikawa narrated MS profiles for 00 Movie and Unicorn OVA>
Outlaw

I love behind the scenes stuff like that, it's always interesting to hear about how much thought goes into even the smallest details.
"“As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up reasons to kill one another."
balofo

Next ep summaries:
7話「いさなとり」
地球を目指す上で強力な後ろ盾がほしい鉄華団は、木星圏を拠点とする武力組織・テイワズの輸送部門を管理するタービンズと接触した。しかし組織の成り立ちと資産をめぐり、鉄華団はタービンズと対立することになってしまう
鴨志田一 ヤマトナオミチ 西澤晋と寺岡巌 戸井田珠里(キャラ)と有澤寛(メカ)

8話「寄り添うかたち」
タービンズ率いる名瀬に自分たちの力と正当性を見せた鉄華団のオルガたちは、改めてテイワズとの交渉を持ちかける。そんな中、アトラは、ふさぎ気味なクーデリアを連れて、タービンズの戦艦を訪れる
根元歳三 久藤瞬 久藤瞬 赤井方尚(キャラ)と久壽米木信弥(ロボ)

9話「盃」
テイワズの代表マクマード・バリストンに会うため、鉄華団は名瀬に連れられてテイワズの本拠地である歳星(さいせい)を訪れる。そこでオルガは名瀬から意外な提案を受ける。
岡田麿里 池野昭二 大橋誉志光 大貫健一(キャラ)と大張正己(ロボ)

10話「明日からの手紙」
バルバトスの最終調整のため、三日月とナディを歳星に残し、鉄華団とタービンズは地球へと先立つ。歳星での出来事はそれぞれの心境に変化を与えていた。
土屋理敬 大久保朋 西澤晋 牧孝雄(キャラ)と宇田早輝子(ロボ)
7: Tekkadan contacts Tabinz? which is part of the armed organization Teiwaz based in the Jupiter Sphere to reach Earth. However Tekkadan and Tabinz end up battling.
8: Tekkadan having showed their power and legitimacy enter negotiation again with Teiwaz and visit the Tabinz battleship.
9: After meeting the Teiwaz representative Mcmurdo Bariston, Tekkadan go to the Teiwaz headquarters in a restored Jupiter to meet its leader Naze. Orga receives a surprising offer from him
10: Nadi and Mika stay behind in Jupiter for the final Barbatos adjustments while the rest of Tekkadan and Tabinz go to Earth. The events in Jupiter affected everyone's minds.

Really curious to see the state of Jupiter, these imply it was terraformed.

Another interesting point is Mika being left behind, expect him saving his friends Kira style with the Long Range Booster

I guess we can assume the Fellini expy is Mcmurdo and the woman is Amida from the OP.
monster

Jupiter? Isn't this getting too complicated? We already have multiple factions between Earth and Mars without having a third planet in the mix.
Deus257

monster wrote:Jupiter? Isn't this getting too complicated? We already have multiple factions between Earth and Mars without having a third planet in the mix.
There are many moons around Jupiter, things will no doubt get very complicated, I'm Curious to see how Jovians, Jovian Ships and Mobile Suits Look though.
SonicSP

monster wrote:Jupiter? Isn't this getting too complicated? We already have multiple factions between Earth and Mars without having a third planet in the mix.
I don't think it has, Earth's representatives are more or less clustered together Ghallahorn on Mars, which now is only led by one guy now despite the maps and economic blocs divisions shown in Episode 4. We have a few wild card micro factions like Nobliss and possibly white suit guy in the mix but even they may not be as big of players as either the Teiwaz or the Brewers given they don't get their own mobile suit designs.
zetatype

I don't know, the impression that I get is that while Ghallahorn may seem like a single unified entity the reality is that there are multiple factions within it that are vying for power. Personally I think that IBO could have gotten by on the political side of things just by focusing on Ghallahorn and the four economic blocks on earth without having to get other planets involved.

If they are just gonna portray Ghallahorn and Earth as a unified entity then why even bother creating the current geo-political setting on Earth if they aren't going to do anything interesting with it.
SonicSP

zetatype wrote:I don't know, the impression that I get is that while Ghallahorn may seem like a single unified entity the reality is that there are multiple factions within it that are vying for power. Personally I think that IBO could have gotten by on the political side of things just by focusing on Ghallahorn and the four economic blocks on earth without having to get other planets involved.

If they are just gonna portray Ghallahorn and Earth as a unified entity then why even bother creating the current geo-political setting on Earth if they aren't going to do anything interesting with it.
Aside from Teiwaz, we also have to keep in mind that the Brewers are coming up so that's three big factions in total with their own mobile suit lines.

As for creating the geopolitical situation, I would say the counterpoint to that is Gjallahorn's itself which is pretty much the entire representative. They may not be fully united but are united enough to have a single military organization handle the military affairs of an important colony. While I'm sure the individual blocs have have their differences and issues (Mars is divided between them afterall), the setup of Gjallahorn itself and the other two factions from the beginning of the series suggest the writers plan to make the issues more between the interplanetary factions than within the Earth factions - especially when the interplanetary factions get their own unique mobile suit designs. My guess is the different Earth factions were just made just for an increased backstory from a historical perspective more than anything, perhaps even as a weakness of the group as a whole later on without much focus to the each division in the group.

It could go another way of course, but that's just my impressions at the moment.
Deathzealot

Heck, this maybe a leadin into getting a second season or even maybe some side materials.
Deacon Blues

The English summary above isn't accurate which is probably why people are getting confused. The term used for "Jupiter" in that summary isn't the typical one that you see for the planet. Ergo, since it's another name for Jupiter in Japanese, I'm doubtful that it's the planet. If the map on the official site is any indication, I don't see why they'd beeline backwards to a planet and then head for Earth again. Plus, the Japanese text says "stronghold" when referring to it anyways.

It says in order to meet the Teiwaz representative McMurdo Bariston, Tekkadan arrives at Teiwaz's stronghold "Jupiter" having been brought by Naze. There, Orga receives an unexpected proposition from Naze. Or something to that effect.
balofo

Deacon Blues wrote:The English summary above isn't accurate which is probably why people are getting confused. The term used for "Jupiter" in that summary isn't the typical one that you see for the planet. Ergo, since it's another name for Jupiter in Japanese, I'm doubtful that it's the planet. If the map on the official site is any indication, I don't see why they'd beeline backwards to a planet and then head for Earth again. Plus, the Japanese text says "stronghold" when referring to it anyways.

It says in order to meet the Teiwaz representative McMurdo Bariston, Tekkadan arrives at Teiwaz's stronghold "Jupiter" having been brought by Naze. There, Orga receives an unexpected proposition from Naze. Or something to that effect.
So I was right about it being ''Jupiter'' according to the Barbatos manual. So Naze is the Fellini expy?

Ep 7 does mention the Teiwaz is based in the Jupiter(planet) Sphere, so either they retreat a bit or ''Jupiter'' is in on the Earth route
Deacon Blues

They contact Turbines, which manages the transportation division of Teiwaz, an armed organization based in the Jupiter Sphere.
Amion

Maybe Mars and Earth are on opposing sides of the galaxy, and going the quick way like what Biscuit explained two episodes ago simply cannot be done without Ghjallahorn attacking or inspecting them. So instead of making a B line, they're looping around toward Jupiter, which might be pretty close, aiming at one of Taiwaz' transport stations or whatnot, and then will arc around toward earth again from an angle that would take considerably more time, and thus not be watched as closely by the patrols.
They don't know the power of a balanced vision.
Kuruni

Of Mice and Men

In this episode, I can't be only one who see Mika & Orga as analog to Lennie and George, right? Interesting.

The episode is mostly exposition, breather, and character exploration. And the combination goes so well that I actually smile with it.

I'm somewhat worry about Ein since last episode, consider how he idolize Crank he seem to be focus on revenge too much.
My girlfriend was a loli.
balofo

Ein is a poor man's Jerid.

So Fellini really is Mcmurdo and Amida is the woman from the OP
Ceiling_Squid

YokozunaBulldozer wrote:Episode 5 was great to see. The fights were nice and the way they got things rolling was just fun to watch.
So far Mika does not disappoint and I like how he does not feel like a blatant Heero ripoff but just more of a chill and calm dude who gets the job done.
Agreed on ep. 5. I'd been mostly enjoying the previous episodes, but hadn't exactly been rushing back to see it the moment a new episode hits streaming.

Five is where they have finally hooked me, I think. Excellent combat action, fun camaraderie and teamwork between the Orphans, and finally some direct conflict with "The Chocolate Man", heh. Eugene riding the anchor cable in a mobile worker while screaming had me fist-pumping. Really cool gambit for them to pull with the Isaribi there.

And as mustache-twirling as some of the early villains have been, I like the infighting we're seeing within Gjallarhorn, and the double-crossing between multiple parties (Orcus and Hitler-mustache, Coral trying to play reputation games with the Inspectors, Nobliss leading everyone by his pocketbook)

And while I'm not overly fond of the intro theme, holy crap that outro is amazing. Fantastic vocals. Blows the opening out of the water.

Series has finally grabbed me. We are go.

However, on the subject of Mika - I agree with you, but only up to a point. Mika may be pretty "chill" most of the time, but he does fly of the handle when pushed (see him choking someone out after he thinks Cookie and Cracker were hit by a car), and he takes life with shocking callousness. And all throughout it, he does so without really showing any emotion. Sort of like his flight-or-fight instinct is screwed up.

I'd say Mika is definitely "damaged goods", and his "getting the job done" is actually indicative of some very screwed up character flaws. I'll give them credit for giving a more interesting portrayal of that particular character archetype, as opposed to the rather bland always-serious "ultimate soldier" that Heero and Setsuna turned out to be.

With Mika, the writers actually made this sort of behavior much scarier. Probably because he lapses from normal social behavior to obvious psychopathy so suddenly. Sort of hits harder that way. I can't speak to how realistic that is, but I find myself much more interested in his problems than I ever was with Heero or Setsuna. Getting either of those two to crack a smile or show a little levity was impossible. It gets old and boring fast if they don't even try to put on that socialization mask.
Mythgarr

I wonder if we have a hint from Mikazuki's inverted letters writing there...

Ein is an interesting character to follow. Maybe in the end he will become more than "not-Jerid"

Jerid could be "Not-Ein" in the future if Ein's path is told perfectly.

I think by nearing tenth episode, Mika needs to lose once or twice to make him more interesting. Orga has experienced a plan sidetracked by a traitor and keeps his cool. I wonder what would happen if Mika lose.
Visit The Dreams