The Official Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans Mecha Thread Mk I

The future is now. This is the place for mecha and science.
toysdream

Re: The Official Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans Mecha Thread Mk

According to my notes, it's actually supposed to be "GRADES" because it's derived from the name of the Valkyrie Randgrid. So this the usual thing where one tentacle of the localization octopus isn't communicating with another. Ultimately, whatever it says on the model kit box will stick. :-)

-- Mark
Deacon Blues

Are they going with Tekadan (鉄華団) for the name of the boys group? I ask only because they didn't bother translating it in the simulcast...
SonicSP

toysdream wrote:According to my notes, it's actually supposed to be "GRADES" because it's derived from the name of the Valkyrie Randgrid. So this the usual thing where one tentacle of the localization octopus isn't communicating with another. Ultimately, whatever it says on the model kit box will stick. :-)

-- Mark
Wow lol. Really didn't expect that coming. I guess we'll have to wait and see then.
Gundam0089

Deathzealot wrote:
Gundam0089 wrote:I just noticed we saw no mobile suit action in the trailer. All the action was centered on those weird little tanks.
Mobile Tanks???
I'm gonna guess the larger red ones would be anything comparable to a MS.
Brave Fencer Kirby

"Grades" is better than "Graze" in that it doesn't invoke poorly-aimed shot or feeding herbivores, but I feel like it's a setup for a Who's On First bit involving model kits. "I'd like a Master Grade Grades, please." "Of course sir, what kind? "I just said, a Grades." "Which Grade, sir?" "A Master Grade." "Of course, sir. And which Master Grade would you like?" "A Grades." "A Master Grade?" etc etc.
Fighting evil so you don't have to!
toysdream

And then the inevitable upgrade, the "Hi-Grades".

-- Mark
SonicSP

I think I like Glaze. It reminds me of sugar donuts. I can literally taste them when I hear the word.

But speaking of which, is there any chance it's could be "Glade"? It would involve just switching an R/L and it is an actual English word as well.
toysdream

I already explained the name derivation. So far as I know they'll be going with that.

-- Mark
BrentD15

toysdream wrote:According to my notes, it's actually supposed to be "GRADES" because it's derived from the name of the Valkyrie Randgrid. So this the usual thing where one tentacle of the localization octopus isn't communicating with another. Ultimately, whatever it says on the model kit box will stick. :-)

-- Mark
Yeah, like the Byg Zam, Val Volo, Bygro, Queen Mansa, Grublo, etc. :mrgreen:
"To you who will watch, I offer a heart filled with gratitude." -Yoshiyuki Tomino, Gundam Reconguista in G, Episode 25
balofo

info from the gunpla:
-Barbatos katana is just called Sword/Katana, club is called Mace. Has 2 backpack arms.
-Blue Graze is called HM Commander Machine. Extra weapons are a shooting claw with a lead. Releases in October too so it will appear early
-The yellow tank is called CGS Mobile Worker
-Option set comes with Lance Unit and Shield
-Graze comes with the option for commander or normal head
Gundam0089

Damn that high mobility Glaze is sexy.
Arsarcana

I'm not sure why but the idea of taking a giant robot and using it as a power source first and a machine second has always seemed cool to me, with things like the Zehirut in SRW and the Joshua from Xenosaga, so now they're doing it with a Gundam too. Barbatos sounds like it should have an interesting process of midseason upgrading, as it gets more of its original functionality back. Definitely liking the design.
So it's full armor variant will look something like this? :mrgreen:
SonicSP

Just a technical question here

Assuming that Barbatos' powerplant runs on a nuclear mechanism as opposed to some sort of fictional semi perpetual engine, is it actually possible in theory for a nuclear fusion or fission reactor to run with little to no maintance for 300 years with no refuel? Would it need some deuturium/tritium/helium fuel for fusion, or uranium/plutonium fuel for fission to be added once in awhile to function that long or is it possible for the old fuel to be enough to keep the reactor running all this time?

It's possible that the team has been refueling it with some fuel from time to time but I'm also curious whether it's possible for them to have no need to do that, making it like sort of like a totally free source of energy. There does seem to be a rundown low resource vibe coming in from this specific team, at least for now.
Amion

I claim no expertise in the field of science. However, I am 98% sure that no, a fission reactor at least requires a fuel source otherwise there isn't anything to produce the reaction.

The real question is how long exactly can something like the Barbatos survive radiation bombardment from a fission-possibly fusion?-reactor. Wouldn't parts eventually break down or at least become too hazardous for little orphan soldier boys?

On a different topic, just gotta say: Barbatos' melee weapon is awesome. Is that a mace, or a lance? It's no club. Club is not good enough. Because this thing is COOL. It's a Lancemace. Or is that Macelance? It's barbaric but stylish.

I hope it isn't going to suffer the fate of the Gundam Hammer and never get used but once or twice as a gag. Please Obari, make our new hero be a stab-smashing kind of fighter.
They don't know the power of a balanced vision.
Mimeblade

Anyone else getting a "Shogun-era Samurai" vibe from Barbados?

Gundam's 'space samurai' roots are coming back it seems.
Gundam0089

Amion wrote:I claim no expertise in the field of science. However, I am 98% sure that no, a fission reactor at least requires a fuel source otherwise there isn't anything to produce the reaction.

The real question is how long exactly can something like the Barbatos survive radiation bombardment from a fission-possibly fusion?-reactor. Wouldn't parts eventually break down or at least become too hazardous for little orphan soldier boys?

On a different topic, just gotta say: Barbatos' melee weapon is awesome. Is that a mace, or a lance? It's no club. Club is not good enough. Because this thing is COOL. It's a Lancemace. Or is that Macelance? It's barbaric but stylish.

I hope it isn't going to suffer the fate of the Gundam Hammer and never get used but once or twice as a gag. Please Obari, make our new hero be a stab-smashing kind of fighter.
I believe the model kits call it a mace.
battletech

Yeah it's a mace. Specifically a Flanged Mace. http://chivalry.wikia.com/wiki/Flanged_Mace
"The souls of Man are weighed down by gravity." - Char Aznable
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.-Clarke
Arsarcana

Amion wrote:I claim no expertise in the field of science. However, I am 98% sure that no, a fission reactor at least requires a fuel source otherwise there isn't anything to produce the reaction.
So does fusion, which I think is a lot more likely to be what's powering Barbatos. I'm sure someone out there can do the math on how long you can sustain a reaction starting with x quantity of, say, Helium-3. We know they can be sustained for literally astronomical lengths under the right circumstances but how long such a reaction could last when scaled down to fit in a space measured in cubic meters is a question I couldn't answer.

Now, just going on intuition I'd suspect that no matter how advanced your reactor you'd need at least regular maintenance to keep it going for 300 years (which it sounds like Barbatos isn't getting), but this is coming from the same franchise as Turn A with its 2000+ year decay-proof MS so I'm not going to lose too much sleep if someone who knows the science can confirm that it's flat-out impossible. :)

And yes, that mace is awesome; I hope it hangs around for a good long while. FSS had some pretty awesome machines with maces as their standard weapon but that thing might put them all to shame.
Amion

battletech wrote:Yeah it's a mace. Specifically a Flanged Mace. http://chivalry.wikia.com/wiki/Flanged_Mace
It's way too elongated to be a regular flanged mace. It reminds me more of a club. But lance and mace sound better together. :P
They don't know the power of a balanced vision.
Brave Fencer Kirby

I imagine that whenever CGS dug up the Barbatos and decided to use it as a reactor, they probably refueled it at that point. There doesn't seem to be anything to suggest that it was operating continuously since the Calamity War without any sort of refurbish or resupply.
Fighting evil so you don't have to!