Recent Mecha Series

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Andvari

Recent Mecha Series

As an anime fan since 98 I've been in a bit of a burnout since there hasn't been anything that hasn't clicked with me as far as mecha shows are concerned. Can anyone recommend to me in the last year what mecha series would be good?

I would prefer if it was in the following criteria: Good story, Music, fast pacing just to name a few.
LightningCount

Re: Recent Mecha Series

Welcome! I've asked some questions similar to this over the last few years. There actually has been a boom of new mecha shows (after a bit of a dearth), so it really depends on what you are looking for. Your criteria is somewhat vague.

The best I've seen overall recently is the first season of Fafner: Exodus. (However it's a sequel to Fafner, Fafner: Right of Left, and Fafner: Heaven and Earth, so if you've never seen those, and/or didn't at least somewhat like any of those, this probably won't be for you.)

I recently finished Majestic Prince. In terms of action, it has a lot of beautiful stuff, and the story isn't bad. However, it has a very comedic bent to it, and it doesn't utilize its story or characters very fully.

Argevollen looks very good, and I've seen 3 episodes so far, but it's a slower-paced, more realistic affair like Gasaraki or Gundam: 08th MS Team.

Aldnoah.Zero is an entertaining but uneven series. It has a great setup and world, but the overall plot and characters sort of get left behind as it changes its focus around halfway through. Since I haven't seen all of Argevollen yet, I'd say it's probably been the second best series overall after Fafner: Exodus in terms of the mecha genre lately.

Knights of Sidonia has been a big hit with a lot of people, but I haven't seen it yet, and am skeptical about it being a full-CG affair.

If you give more examples of what you like about the genre, and/or series that are your favorites, you can probably get better recommendations going forward.
Last edited by LightningCount on Fri Jul 03, 2015 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Mecha/Scifi Novels: https://www.goodreads.com/series/168677 ... -war-arm-x
"May you rest in peace, the betrayed and outraged Milliardo Peacecraft."
Most-Wanted Gundam Anime: Episode Zero, Blue Destiny, Rise from the Ashes, Crossbone
Andvari

Well I can say I did enjoy and it is one of my favorite series is RahXephon. However it is a fairly slow series though. However something within that spectrum. I love the mecha designs from the show they give a very egyptian esque feel to them sorta like ZOE.
Raikoh

I've seen a lot of recent mecha series and I can say that it seems like recent series (my definition of "recent" is probably the last five years) have had issues with pacing, and those that have good stories have tended to be a tad slower (M3, Fafner, Argevollen, Shin Mazinger). M3 is very slow and it's actually one of my favorite anime in general, and I usually have little patience to sit through slow parts of a series so make of that what you will.

The only thing that I think would fit all your criteria would be Symphogear, which as luck would have it has the third season debut just this morning.
THE WORLD IS NOT SQUARE
LightningCount

Andvari wrote:Well I can say I did enjoy and it is one of my favorite series is RahXephon. However it is a fairly slow series though. However something within that spectrum.
Hey! OK, then. I'm a big fan of RahXephon, and it sounds like we got into anime around the same time, so I think I know what you're talking about.

I would easily say you need to see the Fafner franchise, then. It is basically a spiritual successor to RahXephon, and each installment gets better and better.

Fafner: Exodus is the NEWEST and arguably best installment. (It will resume in October this year with its second half on streaming).
*Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GBS9tBQWLI
*Official Stream: http://www.crunchyroll.com/fafner-exodus
*Details: English Subtitles, No Overseas Home Video Release (Yet)

Fafner (aka Fafner in the Azure /or/ Fafner: Dead Aggressor) was the first TV entry in the saga. It unfortunately can be very slow, and its older animation can suffer at times, but it sets up all the characters and the world.
*Trailer 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmRV-UjGvzE
*Trailer 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yqsbemrzlY
*Official Stream: http://www.funimation.com/shows/fafner/videos/episodes
*Details: English Dubbed or Subtitles, Overseas DVD & Blu-Ray Release

Then comes Fafner: Right of Left, which was a prequel OVA that I've never seen all of since it was never given an overseas release; though, from what I have seen and read, while excellent in its own right, it's largely unnecessary to the overall series in terms of understanding the plot. It just rounds things out further, and explains a few backgrounds of secondary characters going forward.
*Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOfCB-r9q-c
*Details: No Official Overseas Home Video Release or Stream

Next is Fafner: Heaven and Earth, the movie sequel to the first TV series. It crams in a lot, but sets up the story for Exodus really well, and finally allows the action to shine to the fullest (the character development, music, and story were already amazing).
*Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_TCnRscGJk
*Official Stream: http://www.funimation.com/shows/fafner/videos/movies
*Details: English Dubbed or Subtitles, Overseas DVD & Blu-Ray Release

So, finally, of course, comes Exodus, which I noted above.

Fafner really is the perfect follow-up to RahXephon, but I would say my other recommendations are all worth a look. Given your tastes, though, I'd go with Aldnoah.Zero as a second choice. Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet might be another thing to look into also, though I haven't seen it myself yet.
Most-Wanted Gundam Anime: Episode Zero, Blue Destiny, Rise from the Ashes, Crossbone
Andvari

I would go with Symphogear however it seems to have ecchi in it which turns me off. Anything else you want to recommend to me I could watch a series like Argevollen or M3. Fafner I would like to see however I only have the first DVD of the first season.

Yeah i'll give Gargantia a shot I have the big artbook the Progress Files also Aldnoah Zero as well. Thanks and i'll be posting on here now.
LightningCount

Andvari wrote:I would go with Symphogear however it seems to have ecchi in it which turns me off. Anything else you want to recommend to me I could watch a series like Argevollen or M3. Fafner I would like to see however I only have the first DVD of the first season.
All right, well, I detailed out the Fafner info for you above when you want and/or are able to continue with it.

As far as other series, here is the thread where I compiled an inquiry into recent series of the last several years. It's missing a few, but it covers a lot. It might be of help, as it's basically the same question you have now: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=16174&hilit=mecha+series

I don't know how much anime you've seen in terms of mecha, but here's a list of others from a longer period of time to take a look at, which were either notable in popularity or memorable in their own right:

Rebuild of Evangelion 1.11: You Are [Not] Alone
Rebuild of Evangelion 2.22: You Can [Not] Advance
The Big-O (Season 1 & Season 2)
Gasaraki
Eureka Seven
Eureka Seven AO
Gun x Sword
Zoids: Chaotic Century
Zoids: New Century Zero
Code Geass
Gundam Unicorn
Gundam 00
IGPX
Macross Plus
Patlabor Movie 1
Patlabor Movie 2

Ask a question about any of these if you'd like.
Andvari

Yeah I've seen some of the series you mentioned. I remember Gasaraki, Eva 1.11 and 2.22, Macross Plus, and a bit of Code Geass. What got me into anime and mecha was Eva.

Also Turn a Gundam just came out which I've known about since 2001 but I wanted to see it do you know how it is?
LightningCount

Unfortunately, I have not yet seen Turn-A. But I am interested in seeing it now that it's been officially released (even if it's subtitles only). There are people on this board that can answer that question, though; and there's even a thread here about the recent DVD release, too. All I know is that it's a weird Gundam series, but supposedly very rewarding once it gets going. I don't think I've run into a lot of people here who "dislike" Turn-A.
Raikoh

Having seen Turn A, I can say it's very different from most Gundam series - the closest thing to it would probably be War in the Pocket, and even that is still apples and oranges. It has sort of an 18th Century American setting (though also biplanes are common) and the general plot isn't about a war happening, but rather the Moonrace and Earthrace cooperating and trying to figure out how they can both get what they want without needing to go to war (though there are still many skirmishes).

Also Symphogear doesn't really have more ecchi in it than your average series. It has skimpy outfits and a few service-y scenes here and there but it's hardly on par with anime like Kampfer or Ladies vs Butlers in how much ecchi they get in there (but that might just be my sense of what is considered "ecchi" being incredibly dulled so only those sort of massively oversexualization register as explicitly ecchi on my radar - though some people see the old Sailor Moon TV series as ecchi, which is WEIRD, but I digress).
THE WORLD IS NOT SQUARE
Andvari

I guess i'll give Turn a Gundan a try well since I can get the first set at rightstuf. I'll give it a shot same with symphogear. Also does Turn have any action in it?
Raikoh

Turn A is a Tomino series, so it of course has action beats frequently. I can't remember if he fell into his habit of having a fight scene in every episode whether it needs one or not, but I think that most of them have some action. I remember the "cow" episode having an action scene, but not the "laundry" one. Also, being Tomino, he completely avoids using stock footage.
THE WORLD IS NOT SQUARE
Andvari

I'll give it a try I may just pick it up from rightstuf the first set. When you say weird can you tell me exactly what you mean by weird?

Well I got it from rightstuff so i'll get it this week should be good.
LightningCount

Andvari wrote:I'll give it a try I may just pick it up from rightstuf the first set. When you say weird can you tell me exactly what you mean by weird?

Well I got it from rightstuff so i'll get it this week should be good.
Oh, I said "weird" earlier because of its different story structure, older setting, and somewhat more eccentric designs and Miyazaki-like tone. That's just based on what I've seen in clips/stills and read, though, which is fairly little in the grand scheme of things. I do know that it starts off oddly, delaying the Gundam's appearance and having some of the main characters involved in some kind of coming-of-age tribal ritual that involves bathing or something. However, within its weirdness, it seems to have a lot of interesting ideas, and I definitely plan on checking it out eventually. The fact that it is different or weird is intriguing.
SaintEvolution

What are the mecha anime that are been released in this season(July, 2015)?
Mark-II

Anyone watched Nobunaga the Fool? Thinking of jumping in on it. Mecha designs by Shoji Kawamori are almost always a good sign, but I've been fooled before... :P

Mark-II
Raikoh

The Fool is a show that really chooses its audience. It has an obsession with the stage play atmosphere and... It's difficult to put my finger on what it's tone is. Melodramatic, I would say. It doesn't have nearly as much action as a Kawamori series should have.

This season only has two mecha shows as far as I remember, both by Satelight (Aquarion and Symphogear). Aquarion seems to be decent so far, but it's barely started and given EVOL, I'm going to stay on my toes. If you stretch it you might argue that God Eater is mecha, I guess? And I suppose Miss Monochrome?
THE WORLD IS NOT SQUARE
Henyo

time me to pitch in!

Argevollen, M3 the Dark Metal and Majestic Prince are slower paced mecha animes. more so M3. its still slow even when things get going.

and just to be on the safe side, Majestic Prince shares SEED's character designer. if you don't like Hisashi Hirai's then you probably won't like Majestic prince.(other people have said that he displays greater design variety here.)

Nobunaga the fool, my simple advice, is to enjoy it with without thinking too much on it.

Sidonia is a CG anime. from the studio that animated Transformers Prime. the first season, for me, has great pacing. the second on the other hand slowed down. love antics and all that ensues.

Aquarion Logos is fun so far. MC however shows lots of gary stu traits. the character designs are also on the simple side.
MOOK: ITS A YURI FANBOY!
Andvari

I remember Macross Zero having alot of action in it and that was by Shoji Kawamori.
Mythgarr

And Everybody forgets about good little Buddy Complex. Also that series where skimpy outfit girls riding jetbike turning into robots....
Visit The Dreams