Right Stuf announces [Gundam Release Updates 2016]

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
LightningCount

Right Stuf announces [Gundam Release Updates 2016]

Right Stuf and Sunrise confirm which series will be coming overseas, and 0079 will get a Blu-ray release: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... isc/.90041
Last edited by LightningCount on Wed Mar 16, 2016 4:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
My Mecha/Scifi Novels: https://www.goodreads.com/series/168677 ... -war-arm-x
"May you rest in peace, the betrayed and outraged Milliardo Peacecraft."
Most-Wanted Gundam Anime: Episode Zero, Blue Destiny, Rise from the Ashes, Crossbone
Brave Fencer Kirby

Re: Right Stuf announces 0079 Blu-ray, Turn-A movies, etc...

I'll probably pick up the MSG Blu-rays, given that the press release (warning: pdf link) confirms that it will have dual audio.

Given that MSG is the only one singled out as a Blu-ray, the rest are likely DVD releases. I'd definitely like to pick up ZZ and X, both of which I really liked, but buying DVDs in 2015 makes me feel very meh.
Fighting evil so you don't have to!
LightningCount

Brave Fencer Kirby wrote:I'll probably pick up the MSG Blu-rays, given that the press release (warning: pdf link) confirms that it will have dual audio.

Given that MSG is the only one singled out as a Blu-ray, the rest are likely DVD releases. I'd definitely like to pick up ZZ and X, both of which I really liked, but buying DVDs in 2015 makes me feel very meh.
I'm wondering what the DVD quality will be like. I know Right Stuf did an excellent job on Space Adventure Cobra, but what can we expect from the transfers of these older Gundam series? Will they be the same range as the Bandai Entertainment releases, or better. I wonder how good/clean Gundam X can look, for instance. Was it even ever remastered?

Turn-A came out, so people who have that maybe can speak of what it looks like compared to old trailers/video clips online.
Most-Wanted Gundam Anime: Episode Zero, Blue Destiny, Rise from the Ashes, Crossbone
iguanaman8989

If they maintain the quality of work done on Turn A, there will be nothing to worry about.
Ziryab

Ah, so the full TV and not just the compilation trilogy. I think I'm down for it; especially since the only MSG I own is the first english dub trilogy on VHS. The one where it was called the Independent Duchy of Zeon. Haven't watch it in forever—because who the hell has a VCR anymore? :lol:
Hmm. Luke, this Gundam reminds me of a puzzle.

Steam ID: MediumPunch
3DS FC: 0189 9106 6003
Ceiling_Squid

Oh, good!

Victory is my most anticipated release here...not my favorite Gundam, but it was much better than I initially expected, given some fan reviewers were outright reaming it. Underrated gem, I think. Glad to hear they've made the explicit announcement of what we're due for.

Honestly, can't think of much I wouldn't want to pick up from these new releases (still haven't seen X, but I trust it's reputation) though I'm surprised to see the Turn A compilation movies here. Are they actually worth seeing? As a rule I tend to look askance at any compilation movie that isn't the original Gundam trilogy.
Zeonista

Saw this announcement elsewhere when it came out. It's good to see the Big Three get overseas BD release, warms my heart for sure. However, I am most hyped for X, which never got to go to the prom in terms of video release. A BD series would look awesome.
"I am fire. I am death. I am Hashmal."

"Discontent is the first step in the progress for a man or a nation." - Oscar Wilde
Brave Fencer Kirby

It seems unlikely that the non-MSG shows will be getting a Bluray release, given that MSG is specifically called out as getting a Bluray release, but the others are just mentioned as getting a release.
Fighting evil so you don't have to!
laj12387

I'm really excited that Rightstuf is finally releasing blu-rays. Maybe if we are lucky and the blu-rays out sell the dvds of MSG Rightstuf will consider releasing future gundam series on blu-ray as well.

Also since it was also said that they will be re-releasing Zeta Gundam when they announced the MSG blu-rays. I wonder if we will be getting the original opening and ending music for Zeta now since Rightstuf and Sunrise are distributing it and since it wasn't included in the original Bandai-Ent release.
Chris
Administrator

laj12387 wrote:Also since it was also said that they will be re-releasing Zeta Gundam when they announced the MSG blu-rays. I wonder if we will be getting the original opening and ending music for Zeta now since Rightstuf and Sunrise are distributing it and since it wasn't included in the original Bandai-Ent release.
Sunrise didn't pay Neil Sedaka for the U.S. rights to the song back in the day when they were more heavily pushing Gundam in the West, so I doubt they'd be inclined to do so all these years later. After all, from the looks of it, this MSG BD release will STILL be missing episode 15 for whatever stupid reason they refuse to explain. I don't expect them to change course on the Zeta OP/ED.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
excalibur2008

Chris wrote:After all, from the looks of it, this MSG BD release will STILL be missing episode 15 for whatever stupid reason they refuse to explain. I don't expect them to change course on the Zeta OP/ED.
From what I've read online it was at the request of Tomino.
Darkerangel

Okay question about Mobile Suit Gundam 0079, will the blu-ray be worth the buy? You know what mean? Like will I see a difference from the original that was created in 1979? Just weighing in will it be worth it vs the standard version.
Mobile Suit Gundam Rebirth A rogue space team called U-FEA is in search for the Beacon of Hope for the future of humanity. They will have to use the blueprints of the Mobile Weapons before them as part of their arsenal to take down the Xen-Dominion.
MV6000 the Ace Zeon Pilot

This is awesome news! Finally ZZ, Victory, and X Gundam series for my Gundam DVD collection.

Still wondering if I should get the 0079 Blu-Rays since I already own all 10 volumes of the original Bandai DVD's.

It's a great time to be a Gundam fan.
*Im not removing this signature until ZZ Gundam gets dubbed and is released in America*

Started on October 14,2007
MrMarch

Darkerangel wrote:Okay question about Mobile Suit Gundam 0079, will the blu-ray be worth the buy? You know what mean? Like will I see a difference from the original that was created in 1979? Just weighing in will it be worth it vs the standard version.
Well, it depends upon what kind of ("level of"?) film/animation fan you are. For a film geek like me, I absolutely loved the recent Blu-Ray release of a comparable animation to MSG, which was Super Dimension Fortress Macross (1982). I couldn't wait to get a hold of it and enjoyed every frame. The high resolution means the line art can really be appreciated in a way that was simply not possible before. Esepecially in those episodes where the animation budget is higher, the details really comes out in amazing ways. If you love that old, hand-drawn animation of the era, the HD release is totally worth it.

Now, keep in mind the underlying animation itself doesn't change from the remastered DVD edition to the blu-ray edition, it's just in much higher resolution and probably made off a new HD (4K perhaps?) transfer. The big difference is the clarity, as it's now in 1080p instead of 480p. Depending upon your perspective as a fan of film/animation, the blu-ray is of such high quality that you can actually see the filmaking techniques of the time. The "analogue" nature of anime of that era on that budget really comes through in HD. Some folks say it can look "worse" due to the high resolution, because previous releases were so low resolution they "blurred" all those previously unrecognizable details. But that's up to each person's subjective opinion of visual media.

Personally, I think an HD blu-ray release of Mobile Suit Gundam would look extraordinairy. For sure, the base animation won't look any better, but the clarity of the art and the vibrance of the color would be amazing. And you can truly appreciate some of the artistry because of the fine visible definition to the actual line art itself.

Now, a blu-ray of Gundam 0080, that I would kill for :)
Turn-A Binker

They just listed the movies on DVD.

I don't want to ignite, or reignite, the flames of Chris; but, I wish the MSG movies had a new dub. Anytime I think of the trilogy, among other things, I also think of the horrible dub from the '99 VHS release. The new DVDs don't have it, but also, the DVDs aren't really that different from the 2002/2003 DVD release of the movies. With the exception of the obvious new menus, maybe 2-3 changes for a better translation, the only new thing is the cover art by Yaz.

http://www.rightstufanime.com/images/pr ... gy-dvd.jpg

Other than that, I will be keeping my old DVDs, and not double dip for this. But man, I would have wanted a new dub.
Chris
Administrator

Turn-A Binker wrote:They just listed the movies on DVD.

I don't want to ignite, or reignite, the flames of Chris; but, I wish the MSG movies had a new dub. Anytime I think of the trilogy, among other things, I also think of the horrible dub from the '99 VHS release. The new DVDs don't have it, but also, the DVDs aren't really that different from the 2002/2003 DVD release of the movies. With the exception of the obvious new menus, maybe 2-3 changes for a better translation, the only new thing is the cover art by Yaz.

http://www.rightstufanime.com/images/pr ... gy-dvd.jpg

Other than that, I will be keeping my old DVDs, and not double dip for this. But man, I would have wanted a new dub.
I wish they had done a new dub in 2001 with the TV dub crew for continuity's sake, but obviously they weren't going to spend money again redubbing something that was only two years old at that point. However, these DVDs aren't exactly the same as the old release. Nozomi said on Facebook that they're mastered from the Blu-ray release of the movies, so they should have higher visual quality than the 2002 version. It's probably not much of an improvement since it's still standard def, but at least it'll be there for new viewers.
Turn-A Binker

Chris wrote:I wish they had done a new dub in 2001 with the TV dub crew for continuity's sake, but obviously they weren't going to spend money again redubbing something that was only two years old at that point. However, these DVDs aren't exactly the same as the old release. Nozomi said on Facebook that they're mastered from the Blu-ray release of the movies, so they should have higher visual quality than the 2002 version. It's probably not much of an improvement since it's still standard def, but at least it'll be there for new viewers.
Eh, I still wish they did. I don't know about the voice cast from the TV series, because dubs nowadays sound great to the point where you can watch the dub over the original Japanese audio; I remember cringing over the TV dub alot of times, honestly, that I wish it were different.
LightningCount

Re: Right Stuf announces [Gundam Release Updates]

Rightstuf is accelerating the releases of Gundam, it seems. Zeta Gundam Part 2 will come out on April 5th (Blu-ray & DVD), and Gundam ZZ (Blu-ray & DVD) and Gundam X (DVD only) will both have their first halves released on 6/7/16!

Also, if you participate in their March Madness-like bracket battle, and either Gundam 0079 or Zeta Gundam ends up the victor at the end of the tournament, then they will announce the next Gundam show they are working on.

http://www.rightstufanime.com/anime-madness
Destiny_Gundam

Re: Right Stuf announces [Gundam Release Updates 2016]

No hesitation on Gundam X, but I wonder which format I should get for Double Zeta. All the other Gundam I own aside from Awakening of the Trailblazer is on DVD and I can't imagine a blu ray transfer will be that much better for something so old. So I'm leaning towards the DVD.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
Chris
Administrator

Re: Right Stuf announces [Gundam Release Updates 2016]

Destiny_Gundam wrote:No hesitation on Gundam X, but I wonder which format I should get for Double Zeta. All the other Gundam I own aside from Awakening of the Trailblazer is on DVD and I can't imagine a blu ray transfer will be that much better for something so old. So I'm leaning towards the DVD.
Having seen how both Z and ZZ look on Blu-ray, I can tell you that you are mistaken and it makes a big difference. Don't bother with DVDs unless you have no choice.