The Official Gundam Unicorn Anime Thread Mk VII

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
BrentD15

Re: The Official Gundam Unicorn Anime Thread Mk VII

Well, at least it won't be official.
"To you who will watch, I offer a heart filled with gratitude." -Yoshiyuki Tomino, Gundam Reconguista in G, Episode 25
gunform1010

toysdream wrote:From the Bandai Visual page:

"Unicorn Gundam 03 vs Neo Zeong! Why didn't the Neo Zeong reach Full Frontal in the novels!? The missing link connecting the animation and novels will finally be made clear..."

The premise involves a Federation Forces detachment on a secret mission to hunt down the rogue Phenex, just before the final battle between the Nahel Argama and Neo Zeon. From that description, it sounds like it takes place in the novel continuity rather than the animation, and explains what happened to the Neo Zeong in that continuity.

-- Mark
Was this necessary? I always just thought the Neo Zeong was there to look cool for the OVA.
"Gunpla is freedom!" -Meijin Kawaguchi III

Love Live/Gundam Build Fighters semi-crossover/spin-off in works
Dark Duel

"Was this necessary?" is never going to be the question to ask when we're talking about what they're going to do.
The real question is "Would this be profitable?"
And, because it is UC, which has an enormous presence in the franchise simply due to how long it's been around and how much of it there already is, and because it's a relatively recent production to begin with, the answer is "Well, of course it would!"

EDIT: Sorry if that sounded cynical, but it's the same reason why the so-called "Unicorn 03", which to the best of my recall never featured in either the novel or series to begin with, even exists in the first place - merchandising. Am I complaining? No. Because the Phenex looks kickass anyway - not as much as the Banshee in terms of the main body, but the twin AA-DE backpack config is awesome.
And I really enjoyed Unicorn overall.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
Deacon Blues

I guess it all depends on how well that DOME event went... which I guess it did well enough to warrant an entire story with the overmax suit from hell :/
E08

Phenex's first appearance provides an explanation for anime Banshee's different collar design, and now it is involved in Neo Zeong's no-show in the novel… Make me wonder if the suit is a time/dimension travelling story influencer.
balofo

Really disappointed BD didn't show the Republic of Zeon forces...

Instead we're getting a pointless Kai Shiden subplot...
gunform1010

balofo wrote:Really disappointed BD didn't show the Republic of Zeon forces...

I haven't been keeping up. What BD?
"Gunpla is freedom!" -Meijin Kawaguchi III

Love Live/Gundam Build Fighters semi-crossover/spin-off in works
BrentD15

gunform1010 wrote:
balofo wrote:Really disappointed BD didn't show the Republic of Zeon forces...

I haven't been keeping up. What BD?
Bande Desinee.
"To you who will watch, I offer a heart filled with gratitude." -Yoshiyuki Tomino, Gundam Reconguista in G, Episode 25
BrentD15

Oh, good.
A new Stark Jegan to shoot down. :P
balofo

New novel partial spoilers:

The Neo Zeong was developed to bring the full perfomance of the Sinanju. While en route to be delivered a battle occurred and the Neo Zeong was started using the same ocher Jadg Doga from OVA 7 as the core unit. It then fought the Phenex
Admiral Larsen

Any other details of this new novel? Wasn't it supposed to deal with the aftermath of the novel series and perhaps the OVA series.
Deacon Blues

The book is divided into two parts. The basic premise of the first part is that the main character, Jona Bashta, is searching for what happened to his childhood friend, Rita Bernal. The two were raised by foster parents after they lost their parents in the colony drop. When Rita was 13, she was taken in by foster parents affiliated with the Titans. Low and behold, Rita became the test pilot of the runaway Phenex. Little did Jona know, but one of the characters in the novel (a Commodore named Eskola Gedda) was affiliated with the Titans (as he learns from talking with him). The orphanage in New Florida called St. Fergus where they were at was basically a Newtype culling institute and Rita was indoctrinated into the program. Thus, she became a Cyber Newtype.

The first part ends with the soldiers being called to their mobile suits because of an unknown being detected... I gotta skim part 2 now. That's a rough and probably slightly inaccurate speedread of the first chapter.

Overall, this follows the DOME G event which has the Phenex running amok shortly after testing (early December 0095). The Phenex has been missing for six months when this novel starts and dialogue in the story says that it is some ten days or so following the incident at Dakar, so it would put us around May 11th. One of the characters was transferred to the Shezar team three days prior or so (so the 8th of Mayish). It's still before the final battle between the Nahal Argama and Neo Zeon though.
Kratos

Interesting. So the Phenix was presumably built either alongside or shortly after the Banshee (considering the Banshee appears in "One of Seventy-Two" as well)? That actually makes it fit into the timeline pretty well.

You know, I've always been a bit curious about the RX-0 development timeline. Do we know when exactly the Banshee was commissioned? I always kind of assumed it was after Vist co-opted the Unicorn, so the Feds could still have a UC Project flagship/possible insurance policy against Vist going rogue with Unit 1, but that's completely conjecture on my part.
"The beast of opportunity finds its master and soars through a shaken cosmos"
Imperial

I'm far, far behind the rest of the class on this one, but I finally finished the OVA after shelving it back in, what, 2012?

I have to say the first half of the OVA is much, much better than the tail end. I even went back and watched the old episodes to see if it was just nostalgia talking. Nope. Unicorn really took a nosedive once it went to Earth. It's like 00 all over again. The first halves of each were so good to me, only to let me down in the end.

The entire Laplace's Box/original charter thing is just too silly for me to take seriously, although I did like the justification of how and why Anaheim rose to power and stayed in bed with he Federation even when it became clear they were doing just as much for the other guys as the Feds. I always thought it would be easier to shut them down for collaboration and snatch up the spoils.

The dialogue and the characters spouting it, though -- that was painful. If I ever have to hear "curse" or "prayer" again, it will be too soon. The words lost all meaning at some point. There's a way to convey a theme without hammering the audience over the head with it.

At least we got some gorgeous fight scenes and the insanely awesome ECOAS team out of the deal. I find myself really drawn to stuff like the Londo Bell-Neo Zeon battles in CCA and the Ecoas/Londo Bell attack on Palau. I'd love to see more OVAs with crack Federation teams bushwhacking Zeons.
This space for rent
iguanaman8989

So, some more mind boggling decisions by the Gundam Info YouTube channel. All seven episodes of Unicorn are up for streaming, though for some reason they have the English subs blocked for the U.S..
BrentD15

iguanaman8989 wrote:So, some more mind boggling decisions by the Gundam Info YouTube channel. All seven episodes of Unicorn are up for streaming, though for some reason they have the English subs blocked for the U.S..
They want you to buy the box set.