Magical Girls

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Henyo

Re: Magical Girls

Raikoh wrote:I watched Houkago no Pleiades way back when the shorts were released, so it's kind of nice that it's getting a full season to actually breathe, having the pace match the tone, and better develop the characters and story. First episode is all right. Also from the online series, it'll be refreshing to have a new magical girl series where the love interest is a guy.

Animation quality seems fairly standard for your normal high-money anime studio, but it certainly is some flab off my mind to know that the only thing that Trigger took with it was some stylistic choices (while taking none of the actual fluid animation). I don't really like how much CG was used, especially in non-dynamic middle shots, but it's not a deal breaker especially since it's likely just a budget saving tool for shots that are unimportant.

Can we really draw color scheme comparisons to Madoka when they're more like those from Heartcatch?
Henyo wrote:looks like it was a bit of a good decision not to read any Nanoha spinoff mangas...
Just Force. It's written like bad fanfiction with an antagonist group that doesn't fit in with Nanoha at all (completely unsympathetic, ridiculously overpowered, steals the majority of the spotlight...), a Gary Stu (yes, male) main character, and sidelining fan-favorites like the Wolkenritter in favor of characters like (no joke) five uninteresting drones who share one personality.

I just want a Nanoha entry to be as good as A's again...
watched Pleiades. very nice first episode. hoping the quality is maintained. and yes the CG flying scenes don't look natural. they should have just used it when they were about to seal the..thingie..forgot the name. the yuri is still strong here.(them yuri fans are sure to sideline Minato.) Aoi and Subaru..

also, it was only thanks to a comment that i discovered the dive shaft makes car sounds instead of the usual magical whooshes! is this where Subaru the company came in? XD

HEARTCATCH IT IS! Madoka lacks a Violet MG.(not gonna look at Oriko's way.)
but of course, others are more likely to ignore the PreCure series. shame on them really.
they're missing a lot.
MOOK: ITS A YURI FANBOY!
Raikoh

Henyo wrote:also, it was only thanks to a comment that i discovered the dive shaft makes car sounds instead of the usual magical whooshes! is this where Subaru the company came in? XD
That actually is the case. It's odd that they don't make the staffs more carlike, considering Houkago no Pleiades was initially (and I'm not sure if it still is) sponsored by Subaru.

Calling Force a natural evolution of Nanoha is like calling GT a natural evolution of Dragon Ball. What, in a word, are aspects that made Nanoha what it is? Well, you can easily pinpoint those by looking at what they changed when making the Movie 1st. The franchise didn't really get a firm grasp its identity until A's, so when remaking the first season they changed things to make it more in-line with what people expect from Nanoha. Sympathetic antagonists, even if they're objectively bad, is one of the most important parts of the franchise. There are only two characters who the series didn't try and make us feel some sort of affection for, Scaglietti and Quattro. Plus, there's the balance of sci fi with fantasy elements. No matter how technological a Device looked, it still was very simple and fantasy-inspired, and there were people using things like regular staffs or spears as well.

Changing the MC to a male isn't about yuri stuff, it's that when you have a magical girl series it's expected that the MC is a female. I got nothing against the dudes. I like Yuuno, Zafira, Chrono, Zest, and Vice. In fact, I'd probably have liked to see a spinoff with one of them as the lead (and was really happy about Zafira's getting slightly more attention in Vivid). But Tohma's being an idiotic, cliched, Gary Stu with a bland personality, universally poorly written relationships with other characters, and a completely submissive role in the plot doesn't help his case.

As for the issue of focus, the grand question is: if you don't want the character to have a role in the plot, don't put them in. Basically every returning character in Force is superfluous, so why are they even there? It forces you to BS things just to make the antagonists a legitimate threat, mostly because of the fact that the three Aces are the strongest in the TSAB. The Book of Darkness was the largest known threat in the entire continuity, and they befriended it. They were on power limiters through all of StrikerS, at that. In Sound Stage X, they didn't even have Nanoha appear and nobody complained. If they wanted to up the stakes, they can't really use anything from the Warring Ages of Belka, since they've topped the greatest magic that Belka had to offer.

I guess they're around because if the old cast wasn't in Force, there would be literally nothing in it that would make it a Nanoha series. If you want characters who haven't developed to get their time in the spotlight, it isn't like StrikerS didn't introduce about two dozen characters who got almost no screentime. Nope, we have to focus on another thirty characters, some of whom are literally faceless (and some, like the Grendel family, give nothing to the plot).

The overarching theme of Force is that there's nothing wrong with the ideas in CONCEPT (outside of the absurd shift in visual design to just make it a Powered Armor Sci Fi series instead of having anything to do with magic), but it's heavily the EXECUTION that is abysmal. The writing is simply boring, the pacing is absolutely awful, the tone is vastly inconsistent (trying to be super srsbzns then having goof-offs), most of the fights have no real weight or consequence (even VITA doesn't seem to be the least bit upset about Signum and Hayate's situation), a lot of character designs are uninspired (with a few being practically plagiarized), the Huckebein are presented as if they think that by virtue of trying to look cool that they'll be likeable (though they aren't, they're all just jerks), the attempt at an adventure story is completely downplayed since none of the worlds are distinct or memorable and if you said everything took place on Mid then nothing in the plot would change. I haven't seen Force in a while and it's most definitely cancelled by now, but I can say that in looking at the chapters I remember I could practically find something bad on every single page.

...I didn't mean for this post to be a five paragraph essay on why Force is bad. I really didn't, I just started going and I can't stop myself.
THE WORLD IS NOT SQUARE
Destiny_Gundam

Raikoh wrote:Changing the MC to a male isn't about yuri stuff, it's that when you have a magical girl series it's expected that the MC is a female.
Defying expectations is a good thing. Being too constrained by whatever genre your work falls into is one of the things killing creativity. Nanoha has never settled for being just another magic girl show and it wasn't long before it was established that magic was just another tool anyone, males included, used on a daily basis.

I read your whole post but didn't feel like going point for point on the entire thing.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
Henyo

i checked Pleiades' ANN page. yup, Subaru the company is still listed in the production area!
the shafts do look like a car part so there is that.

can't say much about the nanoha franchise since all i go to are the animated works. but i have the feeling that its fans are more wild compared to the PreCure fans.

edit:chanced upon this at ANN

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... mer/.86989
Lord Dearche

Okay so where exactly are people getting that the movies are just in universe movies? I don't recall any official source every saying as such.

And it better not be because of the stupid bonus audio tracks of the other cast members watching it as a movies beacuse as the name says, those were just bonus gag audio tracks they added to pad the DVD/BD features. Many anime movies and a few rare series do it all the time for the same reason.
Vivio does show up in Force wearing her middle school uniform. To think the two are in different continuities is ridiculous.
There's no debate on this. The original 3 TV seasons, their connecting mangas, Vivid and Force are all in the same one universe.

Subaru had no reason to even mention Tohma to Vivio and crew. In fact it even comes up in the PSP games that they haven't met or know of each other. Force Era Touma and Lily have met Vivio and Einhart but Vivio and Einhart come from the Vivid time and they said they never heard of Touma or Lily. And most importantly, Authors don't care. They're not writing the side stories in collaborations or planning ahead.

The AEC equiptment was fine. It was a nice mecha addition to a series that's entirely a based on and a parody of Super Robot Wars to begin with and also gave some new flair to the designs. People complaining about how it became to techonological instead of magical were clearly not paying attention to the earlier works because the show was always mostly entirely technological. Chrono himself says it that it's not so much real magic, but rather they're just using Mana to power/execute programs/code for the devicers to run.
can't say much about the nanoha franchise since all i go to are the animated works. but i have the feeling that its fans are more wild compared to the PreCure fans.
Oh god yes. Nanoha fans are some of the worst type of fans on the planet, Specifically in the west, and Especially the AS users.

>Say Fate's outfit looks slutty
>>They get butt hurt and mad and try to defend it with "In universe" reasons such as "She made it that way beacuse it would let her move fast" Or "She didn't know that it would look so slutty etc".

>>>My Reply: No, she didn't do ****. She was designed by an old guy at a desk, to dress sexually for the sake of loli fanservice. You people are beyond delusional.
Strike Zero

For sure, the OOC reasons behind it aren't really up for debate, but those sound perfectly reasonable as in-universe explanations to me. :)
Thundermuffin wrote:SETSUNA: There is no Tomino in this world.
Destiny_Gundam

Lord Dearche wrote:Okay so where exactly are people getting that the movies are just in universe movies? I don't recall any official source every saying as such.

And it better not be because of the stupid bonus audio tracks of the other cast members watching it as a movies beacuse as the name says, those were just bonus gag audio tracks they added to pad the DVD/BD features. Many anime movies and a few rare series do it all the time for the same reason.
The commercials for the movies were voiced over by the characters to advertise it, there are sound stages where they talk about them and bonus comics as well.

I personally never put much stock into them being in-universe propaganda films myself.
Lord Dearche wrote:Oh god yes. Nanoha fans are some of the worst type of fans on the planet, Specifically in the west, and Especially the AS users.
No, by far the worst are the hardcore NanoFate shippers. You so much as mention Yuuno's name in a positive way and you'll get accused of being a "homophobic furfag."
Lord Dearche

Lol if thats the reason people think that's why. The characters voicing their own commercials that way is normal in Japan. Gintama, detective Conan, precure and pretty much any series that releases these types of films do the exact same things for marketing. Including the promo drama skits. It's nothing special.

Another reason I was curious is because I've only seen this come up in western threads. Never seen or heard any of this in universe movie talk in any of the jp threads or 2ch threads. Nor do any of the official books or manga for the movies ever say anything about it being a movie either.

I think in the end it's case where the hardcore western fans seem to be looking into something that's not really there too seriously, not understanding that you're not supposed to take it that way. In this case, blatantly obvious and standard promotional advertisments and materials which they see as canon, because they're not used to these things with western movies. (Albeit in western movies canon gets thrown out the window when hollywood movies keep getting sequels)

Kind of like that stupid "White Devil" Amuro Ray/MS Gundam Reference. There was none. Never was. All Vita called her was a devil, and that was it. No one ever said White. But the fans in the west looking for a reason to make a stupid MSG reference took it as that and wanted to believe it as such.
Destiny_Gundam

Lord Dearche wrote:Kind of like that stupid "White Devil" Amuro Ray/MS Gundam Reference. There was none. Never was. All Vita called her was a devil, and that was it. No one ever said White. But the fans in the west looking for a reason to make a stupid MSG reference took it as that and wanted to believe it as such.
I've seen japanese fan works run with that, so it's not just the west. No one had to say white because Nanoha's outfit is predominently white and it's well known the creators are huge mecha fans. The fights are basically mecha battles with magic girls instead of robots.
Lord Dearche

I've seen a few use it, but the west just seems to take it more seriously. I've seen more run with it being reference to Excellen since Nanoha was based on the Weissritter to begin with. Not to mention her theme in the series is Platinum Lucifer.
Henyo

that's what i hate about the nanoha franchise. The whole white devil nickname. i have made it a personal job to smack the truth to a nanoha fan who get it wrong in front of me.
Nanoha's official nickname is Ace of Aces! the white devil nickname belongs to Amuro ray of gundam.

in general, the Magical girl fans have taken it for granted that it always has yuri. the comments at Pleiades at Sankakucomplex were all will at Minato's mere existence.(then again, this is sankaku we're talking about.)

the only male character in recent memory, IMO, who escaped the yuri wrath is HappinessCharge's Sagara Seiji. Blue, from the same show and from what i've read didn't. not that surprising on the latter's case. he did have that no romance rule. :twisted:
Raikoh

They had a Vivid special where they were talking about the release of the film, so... There's so much evidence that points to it being an in-universe film, and the only argument against it is, "Well, that evidence doesn't count." Even if it is an alternate universe, it's a movie in the central continuity and there's no reason to not believe that. Certainly explains why there isn't eye or ear of Graham or the Lotte's in Movie 2nd and they had to resort to ass pulling for the plot to advance.

Also, I find it hard to believe that the authors of the different entries in Nanoha wouldn't be able to collaborate... Considering it's all the same dude. If the timelines are to match up, then Subaru should have known Tohma for five years before Vivid and yet we're lead to believe that Vivio and Einhart, who are directly connected to the Nakajimas, would never have heard of the guy who is supposed to be considered an honorary member of the family, and who in Force also is supposed to be close to Nanoha at that? Though I guess debating the legitimacy of a series that was cancelled is kind of absurd...

It's true that the series has historically been technological, but it's always been fantasy with a sci-fi twist. Mid-Childa's standard issue weapon is a staff, not a gun. All of the weapons in the franchise are very sleek, simple designs instead of something that looks like they started drawing and just never stopped, and Vivid even points out that Subaru's weapons are kind of pushing the envelope and look too heavy for most people (probably those who aren't cyborgs) to use. Force just tosses any semblance of Fantasy out the window. Can you point to a single weapon from the franchise that looked half as absurd as the AEC equipment? Every other entry in the franchise has a consistent look, even things that aren't in the main continuity like the movies and games, so why should Force be an exception? The Florian Sisters have weapons that are more in-line with TSAB tech than Tohma, and they aren't even from Mid. Point is that you line up all the weapons and characters, even in chronological order of creation, there are ones that would stick out like sore thumbs and if you showed it to a non-fan they'd be likely to ask, "Are these really from the same franchise?" If the writer really wanted to write Force's story, he should've just made it its own thing and cut it off from Nanoha, for so many reasons, the least of which being how unimportant all the old characters are. Like Dog Days. Dog Days would've been ridiculous to share a continuity with Nanoha, but as a standalone work it's... Okay. I know I'm not alone in this sentiment, since, well, again... Cancelled.

White Devil is an accurate fan nickname, though. The only reason Nanoha became what it is was because someone pointed out the design of her magical girl outfit looked sort of like a Gundam.
THE WORLD IS NOT SQUARE
Lord Dearche

The Gears of Destiny x Nanoha 2nd A's sound dramas flat out confirm the movie verse is a different universe/time line, not just some in world movie. Which brings up the univeral count for the series up to 3.

Original (S1, A's, A's to Strikers Manga, StrikerS, Vivid, Force)

Battle of Aces: (S1, A's, BoAs, GoD, Materials life x 2nd A's cross over, BoAs StrikerS era)

Movies: The First -> Start of 2nd A's -> God x 2nd A's sound Drama takes place during the montage where Fate and Nanoha were training with brooms and Bardice/RH were in maintenance -> 2nd A's 2nd half -> Reflections

http://i.imgur.com/UMZITsP.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/gUz2kxS.jpg

That's even one of Dearche's main concerns, that she wasn't sure if their revival was supposed to even happen to begin with. Which is why at the end of GoD she had removed all data from them and the fragments from the TSAB ship, as well as locked everyones memories of it as a precation. She said it in the 2nd sound drama it was because she was afraid their existance would change the future of Nanoha and crew from what it was originally supposed to be. (That being the original universes time line). After she meets the 2nd A's Nano x Fate and learns they're in the middle of the YnS incident, she quickly changes her outfit and hair because she doesn't want to change another time line by having them remember her after they meet Hayate, who coincidentally looks just like Dearche. She locks their memories as well, but she says that a strong enough trigger such as them looking the same could break it.

Although later she does say that the chance of them reviving wasn't 0, just slim. She just wasn't sure if it was supposed to happen or a fluke they revived that time.

(If you played Blazblue and now about how Noel was always supposed to die, but her chances slightly grew in every repetition/timeline, that's essentially the same case here)

GoD also gave the only real details as to way the BotNS got corrupted to begin with. (Having absorbed System-UD/The Tome of the Purple Heaven)
Raikoh

There's no reason to believe that the movies aren't a separate continuity, but that doesn't mean that they can't be in-universe movies. Nadesico had an episode where they had the crew of the Nadesico watching an episode of Gekiganger where the cast of Gekiganger watched Nadesico. Sailor Moon had the Sailor V stuff. I think trying to figure out whether or not the movie is a different universe or a movie is like trying to figure out if Mr. Ral is a cosplayer or actually Ramba Ral. Using a Sound Stage as reason for it to be a separate universe rather than an in-universe production is weird at that, since other Sound Stages have it as a movie. The correct answer in this case would have to be "C. Both A and B."
Lord Dearche wrote:GoD also gave the only real details as to way the BotNS got corrupted to begin with. (Having absorbed System-UD/The Tome of the Purple Heaven)
That's the major problem with trying to call things brought up in GoD canon, though, since there are many consistency issues - namely with the Book of the Night Sky based on what we know about how it worked (mostly after the corruption, though I think that makes a stronger case since BoD would be more harsh). The original Book was not ever stated as absorbing things, it was just a record, like a huge library or museum. Even as the Book of Darkness, it never needed to "eat" spells to record them. Granted, it DID need a connection to a Linker Core, but it only needed a little bit of it and we have no clue if that was how it worked before the corruption, though being not intended for those purposes I'd think not. It was a huge collection of spells, and someone tampered with the Defense System to alter it and change it to work the way it did. The Linker Core has also never been different from mage to mage outside of how much power they can draw from it, so there's no reason to believe that they could have affected the Book from within, anyway.

It's not stated whether or not the Wolkenritter are based on people that the Book had "eaten" but it's more heavily implied that they weren't created until AFTER the Defense Program went wrong (Vita mentions not having any memories of times before it was the Book of Darkness, and that's with the system making her memories hazy - if she was present before it was corrupted, her memories would likely be more clear.) The only confirmed cases of people being consumed by the Book were its own Masters after the corruption, or Fate. That said, when Fate was absorbed, the moment she wanted to be free, she was freed. Absorption in that case was weaker than most binds, and thus not a reliable method of disabling others.

The thing with the Book of Darkness is that it's not something that really needs to be elaborated on. Most of Ancient Belka is stuff that is best told in broad strokes, which is why even when we had a character who had perfect memory of the time (Einhart) the only details shown are vague memories - since that's the best way to do it. Suddenly saying, "Nope, it was actually this" is like in the Dragon Ball movies where they made Bardock the Legendary Super Saiyan regardless of how much sense it made. It doesn't need any elaboration or connection to the characters, since it undermines the sense of scale of things.
THE WORLD IS NOT SQUARE
Henyo

i'll still to animated works for now.

so, Houkago no pleiades episode 2. mysteries abound. the girls suddenly find themselves in the same class. and Pleiades-seijin(Ultraman fan, so pleas excuse the preference.) seems to have altered reality.(or their memories.) i have to wonder though. Mianto has offensive skills. the girls don't. will they develop some later?

on another note: i usually don't pay attention to western animations that can be considered magical girls. except W.I.T.C.H. but only because i managed to read the original comics.

i found another exception:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miraculous_Ladybug
TOEI is along for the ride!
zerogradius

Lord Dearche wrote:>Say Fate's outfit looks slutty
>>They get butt hurt and mad and try to defend it with "In universe" reasons such as "She made it that way beacuse it would let her move fast" Or "She didn't know that it would look so slutty etc".

>>>My Reply: No, she didn't do ****. She was designed by an old guy at a desk, to dress sexually for the sake of loli fanservice. You people are beyond delusional.
That was one of the biggest problems I had with Nanoha. Fate seemed like an 18 year old in a 9 year old's body. Even Nanoha was used as fanservice. It's intersting how Nanoha and Fate were used less for fanservice when they were adults than when they were little kids.
Lord Dearche

Not only that, for the movies, especially 2nd A's, they actually redesigned part of fate. They literally made her hips bigger and her ass more rounder and stick out more.

And Vivid is even worse. 90% of the cast are all as young as Nano/Fate were, but are sexualized 1000 times more. Look at the Vivid artworkd and covers, it pretty much takes loli pandering to new hights. Hell, they're nude in most of them.
Destiny_Gundam

Lord Dearche wrote:And Vivid is even worse. 90% of the cast are all as young as Nano/Fate were
There's only Vivio, Corona, and Rio who are that young. Other than Einhart and Muira (who are 12), the rest are all in their teens or older. Only the older ones get nipples drawn in their nude scenes too.
Henyo

hmmm..if it isn't Madoka, its Nanoha. no ones complaining about the glowing nekkid bodies of sailor moon, precure(the former though only has two entries with this.) or a lot of other Magical Girl animes? then again, Nanoha and fate are younger than the usual MG age. they are the one within actual loli range.(thank you anime de wakaru shinryounaika and wikipedia.)

also, its these two series that most otakus are msot likely to watch.
Raikoh

It's just that Western cultures are more prudish to sexuality than Japan.

In Japan, it's just a thing. I personally didn't even take issue with the nipples in the Nanoha movies, since, well, it's anatomically correct and there's a difference between "nudity" and "sexualization." Not to mention that people are simultaneously fixated on age (i.e. taking issue with characters who look older being sexualized just because they aren't 18+) while also on appearance (i.e. taking issue with characters who are over 18 being sexualized if they don't look the part).

It's an anime, I don't see the big deal. A lot of times it's easy to just write off as a joke (to quote Carnival Phantasm, "ALL JAPANESE PEOPLE ARE LOLICONS!")
THE WORLD IS NOT SQUARE