The Official Gundam Reconguista Anime Thread Mk III

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Deathzealot

Re: The Official Gundam Reconguista Anime Thread Mk III

True. And with gundam info doing a stream on youtube its the best time to do so. Not to mention the prievous viewing still fresh in mind.
Vent Noir

BrentD15 wrote:
Vent Noir wrote:Okay, I fell away from G-Reco last season, but given there's not as much I'm interested in, I figured I'd see if I could make it through to the end. I just watched episode 17 (and I'd prefer not to be spoiled for future episodes).

I still don't really feel I understand (or care about) what's going on. The only character I'm really emotionally invested in at the moment is Raraiya, so I'm hoping she's decently involved in the rest of the show (it seems she might be, but I've gotten my hopes up before with Gundam...). There is also Mick Jack, but she's just a side character.

So at the moment I'm a little on the fence as to whether I'll try and make it through to the end. It will probably be a matter of watching if I have nothing better to do, rather than making a concentrated effort, though.
The series does require a bit of attention to detail, perhaps a second viewing.
Yeah, I'm not great at noticing details or putting pieces together at the best of times, let alone when I'm having trouble caring. It's highly unlikely that I could be bothered with rewatching it.
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

April 7, 1979: The first episode of Mobile Suit Gundam premieres. Fanboys declare Gundam "Ruined FOREVER".
BrentD15

Vent Noir wrote:
BrentD15 wrote: The series does require a bit of attention to detail, perhaps a second viewing.
Yeah, I'm not great at noticing details or putting pieces together at the best of times, let alone when I'm having trouble caring. It's highly unlikely that I could be bothered with rewatching it.
Well, maybe the series just isn't for you then.
"To you who will watch, I offer a heart filled with gratitude." -Yoshiyuki Tomino, Gundam Reconguista in G, Episode 25
Wellman

Finally got to watch the last two episodes and the finale of Build Fighters Try.

I like this series, I can say I like more then AGE, Turn A and SEED but it is a bit of a hot mess. The mech designs are great, so inventive and fun battles and I think most of the characters also have great potential but the story never really defines the reason for the conflict. A ton of world building but the conflict and why some characters go as crazy as they do is never really established. In general that would tank the series for me but as a whole, I find it enjoyable and hope for a Western release (preferable with a dub but beggars and that) so I can enjoy it again in my own native language.

I hear that it wasn't that well received in Japan, which is shame but hopefully its reception won't stop people from seeing the greatness that is the G-SELF with the Perfect Backpack.
latenlazy

I just watched the Miyazaki documentary and it made me feel a deep weight about what Tomino was trying to do with Reconguista. I feel like their generation of directors are all ready to bow out and they're making one final plea for a society that's changing away from the thoughtfulness of their generation. I get the feeling that they create these stories for children but don't believe their message will get through, and hope instead that the adults watching will understand.

EDIT: http://www.kotaku.com.au/2014/07/psycho ... -creators/

If anyone wants to do any reading about how both of these directors think about their own craft.
BrentD15

Wellman wrote:Finally got to watch the last two episodes and the finale of Build Fighters Try.

I like this series, I can say I like more then AGE, Turn A and SEED but it is a bit of a hot mess. The mech designs are great, so inventive and fun battles and I think most of the characters also have great potential but the story never really defines the reason for the conflict. A ton of world building but the conflict and why some characters go as crazy as they do is never really established. In general that would tank the series for me but as a whole, I find it enjoyable and hope for a Western release (preferable with a dub but beggars and that) so I can enjoy it again in my own native language.

I hear that it wasn't that well received in Japan, which is shame but hopefully its reception won't stop people from seeing the greatness that is the G-SELF with the Perfect Backpack.
From what I heard, the reason for the conflict is war-mongers like Cumpa and President Zucchini inciting conflict through the use of photon batteries.
"To you who will watch, I offer a heart filled with gratitude." -Yoshiyuki Tomino, Gundam Reconguista in G, Episode 25
Vent Noir

BrentD15 wrote:
Vent Noir wrote:
BrentD15 wrote: The series does require a bit of attention to detail, perhaps a second viewing.
Well, maybe the series just isn't for you then.
Maybe. At the moment I'm sticking with it mainly to see where Raraiya's plot's going.
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

April 7, 1979: The first episode of Mobile Suit Gundam premieres. Fanboys declare Gundam "Ruined FOREVER".
MV6000 the Ace Zeon Pilot

I have seen all seven of the episodes currently streaming on GundamInfo's channel and the biggest problem I have with the series is that I feel lost. I don't know what is going on why these people are fighting and why the main character is now with the pirates.

With all these questions not answered its hard for me to really get invested in this show/world.
*Im not removing this signature until ZZ Gundam gets dubbed and is released in America*

Started on October 14,2007
Soma Taozi
Location: Singing 'By Your Side' to a bunch of soldiers in Club Eden.

You must pay attention to every single line of dialogue to get a grasp on 80% of what is going on in the show...that last 20% is up for debate and for assumption.

So good luck, Tomino made this show essentially to be a jerk ;)

HAVE FUN!
For 2000 years I lay dormant, now I have returned to bring good cheer to you all once again!

-Me, 7/19/2020
HalfDemonInuyasha

MV6000 the Ace Zeon Pilot wrote:I have seen all seven of the episodes currently streaming on GundamInfo's channel and the biggest problem I have with the series is that I feel lost. I don't know what is going on why these people are fighting and why the main character is now with the pirates.

With all these questions not answered its hard for me to really get invested in this show/world.
This is not a Gundam series' where you can half-heartedly watch a fraction of it and get the gist of everything going on. This is a Tomino Gundam series' where you really have to watch the whole thing closely, pay attention both to what happens on screen AND what the characters say, and connect the dots yourself rather than having it all spelled out for you.
"I'll show you that a superior mobile suit has its limits when it goes up against a superior pilot!" - Char Aznable, The Red Comet
BrentD15

HalfDemonInuyasha wrote:
MV6000 the Ace Zeon Pilot wrote:I have seen all seven of the episodes currently streaming on GundamInfo's channel and the biggest problem I have with the series is that I feel lost. I don't know what is going on why these people are fighting and why the main character is now with the pirates.

This is not a Gundam series' where you can half-heartedly watch a fraction of it and get the gist of everything going on. This is a Tomino Gundam series' where you really have to watch the whole thing closely, pay attention both to what happens on screen AND what the characters say, and connect the dots yourself rather than having it all spelled out for you.
Yep.
"If you don't watch, you'll never understand!"
Bryant Molirse

I think that was a mistranslation. Shouldn't the quote be "Even if you watch, you'll never understand!" since that seems to be the reaction to G-Reco by the overwhelming number of fans. Honestly I think people are desperate for what could be Tomino's final Gundam series to be this masterpiece that quite frankly, it is not.
WARNING!!! I EDIT My posts in the image threads if there is NO NEW REPLIES!!
BrentD15

Bryant Molirse wrote:I think that was a mistranslation. Shouldn't the quote be "Even if you watch, you'll never understand!" since that seems to be the reaction to G-Reco by the overwhelming number of fans. Honestly I think people are desperate for what could be Tomino's final Gundam series to be this masterpiece that quite frankly, it is not.
I don't think it is a masterpiece. I'm just saying it's not as bad as people say it is, especially due to their own lack of attention spans. :P
latenlazy

Bryant Molirse wrote:I think that was a mistranslation. Shouldn't the quote be "Even if you watch, you'll never understand!" since that seems to be the reaction to G-Reco by the overwhelming number of fans. Honestly I think people are desperate for what could be Tomino's final Gundam series to be this masterpiece that quite frankly, it is not.
No one that I'm aware of called it a masterpiece here :P

That doesn't mean there isn't a lot of layer and subtext though. It's very hard to put together, but given that several people in this thread put together the same things independently, I wouldn't say it's completely hopelessly imperceptible.
Turkuru

After finishing G-Reco I feel like it's really not that difficult to understand. it's a type of story you see through incremintaly larger perspectives. at first all you know is what the ppl like Belri know, not much of anything outside of the dogma of they are taught. then you learn of Ameria and know a bit more. then things progress and you learn of towasanga and stuff makes more sense. then after all the factions, and thier goals and influences are revealed the whole story falls into place and it's all pretty cut and dry. even individual character's are easy to understand as thier goals and influences actually make up who they are as a character. Mask is who he is bc of his kuntala heritage and fights bc of it. G-Reco isn't hard to understand bc of bad writing. ppl think it's bad bc they want instant gratification and that's not what this show is. the plot plays the long game and you have to watch it with that in mind.
Final statement, Is this show great? not really. Is it good, ya 7 outta 10. Is it is the trash ppl on here rumor monger about? NO.
Destiny_Gundam

Some bad news for you G-Reco lovers: Tomino admits it was bad.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interes ... sta/.87449
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
Xenosynth

Destiny: You do realize people can have different feelings than the director? So people can find it enjoyable even if it wasn't that great or the director didn't like it? Or is that too much for you to accept Destiny, given how condescending your post comes across?

Then again maybe this is just discriminating the tone of your post due to your prior posts but it really comes across as 'look I have EVIDENCE THE SHOW IS BAD NOW STOP LIKING IT AND AGREE WITH THE PEOPLE WHO DON'T LIKE IT!'
monster

But the people I'd most want to see it probably didn't. That's the guys in the Cabinet, the nuclear energy guys.
So, Tomino's target audience were politicians/scientists/engineers?
Destiny_Gundam

Xenosynth wrote:Then again maybe this is just discriminating the tone of your post due to your prior posts
It is.

But if you want to talk condescending, let's look at the people who are all "You're just too stupid to understand Tomino's genius!" I'd be lying if I said I didn't take some satisfaction that the man himself admits he wasn't masterfully using subtlety but just handled it poorly just so those people will eat crow.

Of course you can still take what you will from the show, but now we know any "genius" the show had was accidental.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
Xenosynth

Have people here been arguing that? Because I don't think I've seen a lot of 'you're too stupid to understand!' here. And I know that I haven't done that either. I know plenty of people who dislike it including several friends on twitter, and it's all good with us, and I know people who like it that are definitely not in that camp either. I've actually seen more people WHINING about that than actual people having that view.

The reason why I bring up this with you and Bryant on here (and on Skype) is because you two both seem to be exactly the same as the asses who would say 'you're too stupid to understand the show!' Because what you are doing is going 'Look, everyone who likes the show, you are all wrong and you are all jerks! Everything you see in the show is an accident!' Which comes across just as petty, just as bad a behavior as those you complain about. You are literally the same as them.

And if anyone who likes G-Reco feels that people who dislike it are of a lesser intelligence for not liking the show, like you are smarter for enjoying it, you should feel just as bad for enabling the rude behavior and backlash from people who dislike the show, and also leave the conversation, because you aren't providing anything but ammo for extremists on the other side of the equation, that makes people who simply liked or disliked the show really uncomfortable in talking about it because we have people shouting at us.
Last edited by Xenosynth on Fri Apr 24, 2015 6:14 pm, edited 4 times in total.