Fafner: Exodus

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Dark Duel

Re: Fafner: Exodus

I personally think that the first casualties will be either Sakura/Canon(though I hope not) or one of the third generation pilots.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
Henyo

Dark Duel wrote:I personally think that the first casualties will be either Sakura/Canon(though I hope not) or one of the third generation pilots.
i could deal with Sakura going first. but Canon, oh to the stars please spare Canon.
then again, she kinda triggered her own death flag.
MOOK: ITS A YURI FANBOY!
Destiny_Gundam

Hiroto is already buried in death flags. Personally I would not miss Rina if she bought it.

I wouldn't be optimistic about Canon. The trailer for the second half has Kazuki frantically calling her name.
"In the end, the world doesn't really need a Superman... Just a brave one."
Amion

Destiny_Gundam wrote:Hiroto is already buried in death flags. Personally I would not miss Rina if she bought it.

I wouldn't be optimistic about Canon. The trailer for the second half has Kazuki frantically calling her name.
:shock:

No! Not Canon! Anyone but her!

And I believe the third gens will probably live. Simply because that's the whole deal about their mutations. Though technically they could become very inhuman. We already saw how emotional an end Koyo had for someone who technically didn't "die". Not dieing isn't saying much, coming from a Mir avatar like Orihime.
They don't know the power of a balanced vision.
LightningCount

Watched Episode 13.

I am intrigued and surprised by the fact that General Burns is apparently the "General Burns" from the original Season 1. I had almost forgotten about him. Definitely surprised that we didn't get anything more on that thread after the episode started with it. (Looks like a coup is brewing.) I also thought Billy's brother and crew would get a chance to fight, but it's a good idea to save that for next season, I suppose. Skilled Fafner vs. Fafner fights with the new animation are going to be interesting.

No offense, but I don't know that I ever would have accepted this as an "ending." I've heard online some statements that this would have been a fine ending to the series. This is The Big-O Season 1-style cliffhanger stuff, and I wouldn't be too pleased with that after how far this series has come.

I thought we might see some Koyo in this latest fight, but apparently not...

Wow, lots of material left and 13 episodes to get it done in. I'm hoping for the best. This new-ish format of split seasons in anime hasn't paid off too well in my experience, but I have to trust that Xebec knows what it's doing given how well they've done with this season so far. Plus, Xebec does have one of the best split season anime I can think of with Zoids: Chaotic Century and Zoids: Guardian Force. Exodus has really elevated the Fafner franchise a great deal, in my opinion. I want them to take their time and take care with the second part of it.

Milieu-wise, I think the biggest boon with Exodus has been the additional focus on the Human Army. I know they have limited screen time, and I haven't heard a lot of people giving them props, but they add a great deal of depth, maturity, and scope to the world and story that was previously stretched thin. It's nice to see the series being about more than the island from an earlier point in the narrative.

I'm curious if Hiroto or Akira or Maya will ever have any weird special powers, or if they won't be affected because they're off the island.

This episode 13 was good, but for me, it wasn't as shocking/thrilling as some early impressions coming out made it out to be. I was expecting something crazy with the General Burns angle. Still, very nicely done in its artistry, especially with Canon's final post-credits scene.

The Festum need to step up their game now that there's all these new powers; they seemed to get beat a little too easily. As a total aside, it was amusing that Canon and Sakura's powers are similar to those seen recently in Aldnoah.Zero's later Martian mecha. I wonder if mastering these powers will allow them all to keep their human forms?

While she's an excellent character, I'm not as much a diehard Canon fan as a lot of Fafner viewers seem to be; but one of the character stories I've always liked a lot in Fafner has been Kenji and Sakura, seeing them develop together and apart. This episode did some interesting things with that with the originally wishy-washy Kenji trying to keep the headstrong Sakura together. The plan for the original Fafner series, according to the CD interviews I've read, was to have Sakura tragically transition into being a new Shoko, and for Kenji to be the new field commander like Fumihiko, working with Kazuki (they were described as the new era's "Fumihiko and Mizoguchi"--not sure who is who in that comparison, though). While some elements of these ideas have now been used, obviously things have changed after all these years--along with Heaven and Earth--and Sakura has recovered a great deal. We'll see where things go from here. Still tons of potential, which is exciting.

EDIT: The 2013 website premise of Exodus has already shifted a bit it seems: "The curtain rises on a new chapter. Rule of Engagement Alpha is the order to avoid contact with humanity. The name of the second-generation Tsubaki is Oriki Minashiro." (Unless that was a butchered translation.)

Also, still wondering what the status of Fafner overseas is in terms of licensing. Funimation said there were problems if they wanted to get Exodus. Now that the show's aired on Crunchyroll, I'm curious if that's changed anything. I would really like to see Exodus, as well as Right of Left, get an official release overseas--preferably with a dub--but that all seems a little cloudy.
My Mecha/Scifi Novels: https://www.goodreads.com/series/168677 ... -war-arm-x
"May you rest in peace, the betrayed and outraged Milliardo Peacecraft."
Most-Wanted Gundam Anime: Episode Zero, Blue Destiny, Rise from the Ashes, Crossbone
Amion

Oh, I agree I'd have been disappointed with 13 if that was just the ending, plain and simple. But it's not, so I have to tip my hat to them for giving me a great finale for the season.

That, and I would argue an ambiguous ending would at least run damage control if the season wasn't received well. It would have given them at least the ability to do a season two as planned.
Dark Duel

Canon, honestly, is my single favorite character in Exodus so far, And she was one of my top three favorite characters in the original series. So while I fervently hope that she will NOT be one of the ones to die, I would not be surprised if she were. Same thing goes for Sakura - though the original series did kinda-sorta-not-really go there, only she ended up not dying after all. Which was nice.
(Remember how the original series made puns with its protagonist deaths? I really like that they stopped doing that)

And yeah, I have to agree, upon reflection, that Hiroto is probably the next likeliest candidate for a horrible death. I will also be extremely surprised if at least one of the Second- and/or Third-generation pilots doesn't die.
I also expect that Neo-UN team - the one Maya's half-brother is on, I forget his name - to suffer casualties. I just kinda hope the female pilot isn't one of them, I like her, and they already almost went there with the near-assimilation.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
LightningCount

Dark Duel wrote:Canon, honestly, is my single favorite character in Exodus so far, And she was one of my top three favorite characters in the original series. So while I fervently hope that she will NOT be one of the ones to die, I would not be surprised if she were. Same thing goes for Sakura - though the original series did kinda-sorta-not-really go there, only she ended up not dying after all. Which was nice.
(Remember how the original series made puns with its protagonist deaths? I really like that they stopped doing that)

And yeah, I have to agree, upon reflection, that Hiroto is probably the next likeliest candidate for a horrible death. I will also be extremely surprised if at least one of the Second- and/or Third-generation pilots doesn't die.
I also expect that Neo-UN team - the one Maya's half-brother is on, I forget his name - to suffer casualties. I just kinda hope the female pilot isn't one of them, I like her, and they already almost went there with the near-assimilation.
Yeah, Sakura has come back from the "dead" at least twice. In Heaven & Earth, didn't she crash, slide, and explode in the final battle? (That flying support unit from S1 and H&E hasn't appeared since.)

And yes, the pun deaths are out...for now.

As Billy's brother and his Argo Team take to the battlefield, it should definitely cause the Perseus Team to get more development. If one of those Human Army pilots takes out a D-Island pilot, there will be a rift created. Still curious to see what they all went through in Hawaii, but that full slate of extra scenes is only on the Blu-Ray. It just hit me that, unfortunately, Jonathan might be the Festum spy talked about in Episode 13. He had a vision of the Festum raid before anyone else realized it. Something is going on there.

I'm pulling for Hiroto. He's really grown into a standout character.

I still don't fully know who a few characters are: The young woman who helped the command center during one of the Festum attacks, for one, and also the D-Island soldier guy and girl who look like they could be Mizoguchi's kids.

Anyway, it's all good. Let the drama continue! I want to see a battle like the one Canon envisioned, where the Fafners are pushed to the limit with battle damage.
Most-Wanted Gundam Anime: Episode Zero, Blue Destiny, Rise from the Ashes, Crossbone
Soma Taozi
Location: Singing 'By Your Side' to a bunch of soldiers in Club Eden.

I was under the impression that Yumiko might be the Festum spy...especially considering how Miwa was terrified during the Festum attack (which they said has never happened before) and given her proximity to her "daughter", it made me suspicious that she wasn't somehow doing something to scare her.

If we look at it from a tactical perspective it makes sense. She is close to Miwa and if she is able to disrupt her in some way, that would be advantageous to the Festum, while making sure that the one person Miwa trusts inexplicably will be able to exert some control over her. After all, Yumiko is the only one who tells her daughter "No." So it makes me believe that something bad is going to happen.
For 2000 years I lay dormant, now I have returned to bring good cheer to you all once again!

-Me, 7/19/2020
Raikoh

There's definitely plenty of loose threads hanging, since there are about four or five candidates for the spy (not sure if it would be more exciting for it to be one heavily foreshadowed or if we get thrown a curveball) and we don't know if Canon will be able to change the future or not. If Exodus keeps up this pace, it's no doubt going to end up being one of the overall best mecha - or scratch that - best anime, of all time.

I certainly hope Canon doesn't die or get a despair ending, but the narration makes it seem like she's bound to get a high dosage suffering to protect everyone.

Boy, I love Arai's performance so much. Most of the roles I've noticed her in have her voice caricatures or minor characters, but damn she's a great actress when given the opportunity. Her role as Sakura just blows me away.
THE WORLD IS NOT SQUARE
LightningCount

Soma Taozi wrote:I was under the impression that Yumiko might be the Festum spy...especially considering how Miwa was terrified during the Festum attack (which they said has never happened before) and given her proximity to her "daughter", it made me suspicious that she wasn't somehow doing something to scare her.

If we look at it from a tactical perspective it makes sense. She is close to Miwa and if she is able to disrupt her in some way, that would be advantageous to the Festum, while making sure that the one person Miwa trusts inexplicably will be able to exert some control over her. After all, Yumiko is the only one who tells her daughter "No." So it makes me believe that something bad is going to happen.
Soma, I see what you're saying, but there is one piece that made me rule out Yumiko (perhaps foolishly). I was under the impression that the formerly India-based Mir that Emery is friends with was the green light that came over Yumiko's corpse and brought her back from the dead. But, we all assume that that Mir and Emery are on the up and up. If they have an ulterior motive, then all bets are off. The scary kid and his ghost friends are all "parasites" on that Mir, so alternately, maybe Yumiko is of that type; but I didn't get that impression. It seemed like the Mir itself made her its avatar, in order to advance the 00-style "dialogues to come." Altair is very mysterious...I guess it's more Festum, but could it be something else?

Also, question that I should know, but I'm foggy on: Have we established that the Mirs in the world are all splinters of the North Pole Mir, or were they all separate from the start? And in addition, are the Azazel-types considered Mirs?
Destiny_Gundam

Soma Taozi wrote:I was under the impression that Yumiko might be the Festum spy...especially considering how Miwa was terrified during the Festum attack (which they said has never happened before) and given her proximity to her "daughter", it made me suspicious that she wasn't somehow doing something to scare her.

They specifically said it was the Azazel type that Miwa is afraid of. 'Yumiko' has done nothing but protect and support Miwa so I doubt her intent is bad. She's probably linked to Ashoka, or even Altair itself.
LightningCount wrote:Also, question that I should know, but I'm foggy on: Have we established that the Mirs in the world are all splinters of the North Pole Mir, or were they all separate from the start? And in addition, are the Azazel-types considered Mirs?
Tatsumiya's Mir was around before Polaris was destroyed. Ashoka and the Azazel types are fragments of Polaris.

Come to think of it, the Mir from the movie wasn't mentioned. Perhaps the Neo UN doesn't know about it or it got destroyed at some point after the movie.
LightningCount

Thanks, Destiny_Gundam, for the clarification.

I rewatched episode 1 of the original series (thinking about rewatching all of it, but not sure when.) I have some new QUESTIONS. It seems to me, in retrospect, that this series might have some retcons or omissions based on different early plans...

1.) The radio scene in the beginning with the kids who eventually become pilots. It seems to be a big deal, but this has nothing to do with Soushi being unable to pilot Fafner, or of anyone getting assimilated. (I assumed it did when I first watched.) So, what is that about? Was it perhaps explained as how the Festum found the island in Right of Left?

2.) Kazuki says, "I know this," when he first pilots Fafner. How does he know about piloting Fafner? Is it based on the assimilation powers of the Fafner, and he's reading the Fafner's memories of a past pilot? I'm confused. Or is it related to how the children of the island were born?

3.) Soushi says, "So, this is Festum." (Did he not ever see them in Right of Left? I haven't seen all of that OVA, so I do not know how much he was in the know then).

As an aside, if there was an official English release of Right of Left, it'd be really cool to watch it before the series. It might even provide a better intro to the world from what I have seen/heard about it.
Raikoh

Soushi was never on the front lines in Right of Left (if he were, he'd be dead) so that should've been the first time he saw a Festum with his own eyes.

And Kazuki's line may very well have been something like the assimilation phenomenon. He never piloted a Fafner before, but the flashback as to how Soushi got the scar would likely mean he knows the feeling of assimilation.
THE WORLD IS NOT SQUARE
Destiny_Gundam

1,) It is mentioned the kids replying to the radio is how the Festum became aware of the island existence.

2.) All the kids have knowledge about the Fafners and Alvis implanted in their heads at birth. It's more of an instinctual thing so the Festum can't read their minds.

3.) What Raikoh said.
LightningCount wrote:this series might have some retcons
As I mentioned in my review of episode 11, Exodus does have quite a few retcons going on.
LightningCount

Thanks again for the info!

Hey, I ran across some more Exodus info about what we missed in the uncut Blu-Ray edition of Episode 1. I don't know if this counts as a spoiler or not, so read at your own risk. There is a likely important piece of info that was left out of the broadcast version about a certain Human Army pilot:
Spoiler
From another board: "Johnathan, like Kazuki, can stop assimilation by his own strong will. I bet Toumi's father did something on him."
Amion

I'm not sure, but something I noticed about the subtitles I viewed for the first episode's battle: the battle at Hawaii is stated to take place in 2050 while the present day events on the island take place in 2151. At least that's what I've read. Is this a mistranslation or am I missing the obvious?

It makes sense if the Hawaii battle comes first because it assembles the characters of the UN plus introduces them to the Azazels.

What makes it confusing is that Soushi's narration is a recording he supposedly does in the terrible future that awaits everyone. So it felt like it was supposed to come later than it actually does. Still, the dates should be switched, right?
Destiny_Gundam

Destiny_Gundam

LightningCount

Two all-new trailers for Fafner Exodus' second half in October. It looks like it'll be just as good as the first half. Really looking forward to this.

Trailer 1: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... med/.91691

Trailer 2: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... med/.91709