Mobile Suit Moon Gundam (tentative)

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Deacon Blues

Mobile Suit Moon Gundam (tentative)

Greetings!

I decided to delve into something A little special for this months "Mobile Suit Gundam Great Works" release. Included in Box II was a special publication of an early draft of Gundam Unicorn before it was called Gundam Unicorn. I've glossed over it a little bit and needless to say, I don't think this particular story would've gone over as well as the current one. Anyways, let's dive into some of the little bit of information I've translated from the 28 page booklet:

MOBILE SUIT GUNDAM UC EARLY DRAFT
MOBILE SUIT MOON GUNDAM (TENTATIVE)

Harutoshi Fukui

Story Memo

The day war was caught.
  • Prologue: The story begins approximately five years ago. Join Banagher (ジョイン・バナージ) of Moon Moon is taken by his grandfather Cardeas outside of their world into outer space to witness it for the first time.
  • The Present: A shuttle led by Suberoa Zinnerman withdraws from a certain colony. It’s “cargo” is an isolated Mineva. Also onboard the shuttle as cargo is the body of a mobile suit that is to become the prime field of the psycho frame. A mobile suit squadron of the Earth Federation Forces pursues the shuttle. Marida Cruz who pilots the Kshatriya repels them. The shuttle barely escapes.
  • The Daily Life of Moon Moon: a fifteen year old Join, his family and friends.
    • o The breakdown of the environmental management device invites stormy winds to the tranquil and boring everyday lifestyle. At the calling of the ruler Sarasa Moon, a suicide corps is organized to bring “people who can fix the machine” from the outside world.

o Join contends with the fear and sense of adventure. His grandfather, knowing of the outside world and his strong-minded older sister Micott, pushes his back. Before a Gundam head enshrined silently deep in the forest, Join tells his childhood friend Saki Mentor that he’s volunteering for the suicide corps.
  • • Journey of the Suicide Squad: the team is made up of ten or so men.
    • o As Join is the youngest in the group, Meran Horoi (partner in crime/bad friend? 悪友) treats him as a good-for-nothing. However, despite Daguza Mackle being leader and Ronan Lugus being the elder who is piloting the space craft, they’re extremely unreliable.

o The group comes into contact with Zinnerman and the others shuttle. Join, Mineva and Marida all meet. Believing in their words, should they return to Moon Moon? Opinions are divided. Later on, Join and Meylan clash over a large source of trouble.
  • In the end, they return to Moon Moon bringing along Zinnerman and the others.
    • o Moon Moon’s warm welcome. Join sees the way of being a “trained man” in Zinnerman. However, Sarasa senses a dangerous aura about Zinnerman and the others. She contacts Mineva. There is an unapproachable firmness of Marida who is protecting her. Her isolated profile speaks the words “duty” and “obligation”. Mineva feels that kind of Marida is depressing. Marida, who has an interest in the Gundam head, proposes investigating the rumors by connecting it to the prime field of the psycho frame and turning on the power. If they could use it, they confiscate it to use it in their forces but, Join and the others are simply amused. The instant it connected to the body of the psycho frame, the NTD system activates. The machine rumbles ominously. Just then, the pursuit from the Federation Forces approaches Moon Moon.
  • • The Nahal Argama, a space battleship affiliated with Londo Bell, a Zeon remnant suppression force.
    • o Although Commander Otto Mitas, the captain, tries to avoid interfering with Moon Moon to the best of his ability, headquarters sensed mischief with Neo Zeon and places priority on the capture of Mineva.

o The residents of Moon Moon, who only know a history of isolation, do not have negotiating abilities with the outside. Join and Meylan become irritated with the priest’s incompetence. Using them as a shield, Zinnerman creates an opportunity to escape.

o An elite officer, Ensign Marcenas Riddhe, falls victim to Zinnerman’s allurement and opens hostilities.

o Ensign Beecha Oleg’s restraint wasn’t enough and the Zeta Plus Marcenas is piloting unleashes the first gunfire. Marida returns fire in the Kshatriya. Moon Moon is quickly engulfed in the horrors of war.
  • • Join, unable to watch Marida fighting alone and having no way of knowing Zinnerman’s machinations, climbs into the cockpit of the psycho frame.
    • o The NTD completely awakens instantly and the mobile suit with a Gundam face, the Moon Gundam, activates.

o Join’s desperate battle. The unexpected strength of the Moon Gundam.

o Marcenas is pressed into defeat in his first battle.

o However, Mineva dislikes Zinnerman’s way of doing things and because she left the shuttle to help the citizens take refuge, she falls into the hands of the Nahal Argama.

o The fires of war burn Join’s house and his grandfather is seriously wounded. Touched by the words of his dying grandfather, Jion makes a vow to rescue Mineva.
First, let me just say that's not the entire portion of the story memo. There's still the portion that talks about enemies and allies, Luce Frontal (I think it's suppose to be Reuse Frontal but the kana is リュース), etc. Plus, we also have a 9 page story (with a commentary page), 8 pages of characters and 2 pages of mechanics (the Moon Gundam getting three pages!)

Anywho, something to mull over at the moment which will likely illicit more groans the more I post! I'm not really delving into this in any serious capacity which is why I'm sorta just winging it with the posting so my apologies if it's odd sounding.
balofo

Re: Mobile Suit Moon Gundam (tentative)

This is better than the Laplace's Box stuff we got.

Really interested in the rest
Brave Fencer Kirby

That's actually pretty interesting! It would have been nice to see something that doesn't largely ignore ZZ. Ensign Beecha, huh? Would've been worth it almost for that by itself.
Fighting evil so you don't have to!
bilbros

It's always nice to have such an insight into the deep roots of a work...
For instance, I found the idea of starting all with Moon Moon - i.e. one of the most heavily criticized parts of ZZ Gundam (at least by Western fans) - quite "courageous" (or perhaps reckless? :mrgreen: ).

I found somehow funny the change of the protagonist name from "Join" to "Links": similar concept, different words... I'm wondering whether they considered "Bond" as a possible choice (so that he could have said the famous line: "My name is Bond, Banagher Bond") :D

But jokes aside, yoku yatta, Deacon!
AmuroNT1

A story centered around Moon Moon? I can almost hear the riots coming from the parallel dimension where this series was made. :P
Sakuya: "Whatever. Stop lying and give up your schemes, now."
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

-Touhou 07.5 ~ Immaterial and Missing Power
PowerdGNFlag

AmuroNT1 wrote:A story centered around Moon Moon? I can almost hear the riots coming from the parallel dimension where this series was made. :P
At the very least, it will be one of the Gundam print media that that world will try to bury in their collective memory (and so when Bandai goes shopping around for a work to adapt, they'd have gotten something different... whether that's a good thing or bad, I don't know.)
Well, I guess I'm a nobody...
Angelo Sauper

I for one would like to read more about Moon Gundam. I am actually kind of sad that it did not happen, but that's life.

Are there any concept illustrations, or did it not reach the drawing board?

Any more snippets you are able to share without too much effort?
Deacon Blues

There's a ton of more information. Sadly, no drawings or anything of the sort.
excalibur2008

Funny how it has the Earth Federation seemingly slipping back into their MSG morally grey area, while Neo Zeon is going back to the Principality of Zeon's being lead by conniving bastards situation.
teslashark

Eazy Riders with mobile suits? Still better than the box of empty plot we have. Also, it should feature cryo-Haman because why the hell not.
Junior mod at forum.spacebattles.com
teslashark

bilbros wrote:It's always nice to have such an insight into the deep roots of a work...
For instance, I found the idea of starting all with Moon Moon - i.e. one of the most heavily criticized parts of ZZ Gundam (at least by Western fans) - quite "courageous" (or perhaps reckless? :mrgreen: ).

I found somehow funny the change of the protagonist name from "Join" to "Links": similar concept, different words... I'm wondering whether they considered "Bond" as a possible choice (so that he could have said the famous line: "My name is Bond, Banagher Bond") :D

But jokes aside, yoku yatta, Deacon!
Could have been called Ban(a)g(h)er Chains too, for the cool factor.
Shinji103
Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship: Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks

Well that's an interesting read. So originaly, Unicorn was going to be about Moon Moon, and we were going to get the Zeta Plus? (outside of the small grunt scene in episode 7)
Even Beecha was going to be a cameo? That reminds me of how much they like to do cameos in Unicorn. I wonder why they never really have cameos outside of the original Gundam trio, though. (the original trio being MSG, Z and ZZ of course) Like, it would have been cool to see Monsha, Bate, or Adel be the former Titans pilot flying the Byalant Customin Unicorn episode 4. Or heck, it could be Kou.
teslashark

Shinji103 wrote:Well that's an interesting read. So originaly, Unicorn was going to be about Moon Moon, and we were going to get the Zeta Plus? (outside of the small grunt scene in episode 7)
Even Beecha was going to be a cameo? That reminds me of how much they like to do cameos in Unicorn. I wonder why they never really have cameos outside of the original Gundam trio, though. (the original trio being MSG, Z and ZZ of course) Like, it would have been cool to see Monsha, Bate, or Adel be the former Titans pilot flying the Byalant Customin Unicorn episode 4. Or heck, it could be Kou.
The 4th team definitely should be here. Maybe we can have Oliver from Igloo and Ryu from Sentinel, and also a cool version of Yazan like in the novel of ZZ where he found a home and married.
I wonder if the diner Garma guy is originally supposed to be someone too...