The Official Gundam Unicorn Anime Thread Mk VII

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
balofo

Re: The Official Gundam Unicorn Anime Thread Mk VII

Deacon Blues wrote:So there will be three complete setting books released next year for Gundam UC. The first one will be a whopping 1200 pages long and span episodes 1-3... release date is January 29th. The second will be released on march 27th covering episodes 4-6 and the last will be released on May 29th. Preorders available now for the first box.

*ponders getting two*
Deacon, is it just me or it says we're getting a new novel by Fukui? Also they mention they'll TRY to include as much as possible lineart...

Battleship lineart will have to wait for vol II
BrentD15

I see that Unicorn is an anomaly among Gundam series.
Usually the anime comes first, and then there's the follow-up novel/manga adaptation (usually to flesh out what the creators actually intended for the series, i.e. Tomino).
But with Unicorn, the novel came first and the animated adaptation was done alongside it at (approx.) the same time.

I think this is why Gundam fans are divided over Unicorn; there's already source material for the animated adaption to follow.
"To you who will watch, I offer a heart filled with gratitude." -Yoshiyuki Tomino, Gundam Reconguista in G, Episode 25
Admiral Larsen

BrentD15 wrote:I see that Unicorn is an anomaly among Gundam series.
Usually the anime comes first, and then there's the follow-up novel/manga adaptation (usually to flesh out what the creators actually intended for the series, i.e. Tomino).
But with Unicorn, the novel came first and the animated adaptation was done alongside it at (approx.) the same time.

I think this is why Gundam fans are divided over Unicorn; there's already source material for the animated adaption to follow.
Did you forget Char's Counterattack and how it first came about.
Xenosynth

Char's Counterattack is one of the few other series technically that has a novel first. And then of course, CCA was followed by Beltorchika's Children... so I think that CCA is a special case really, I don't know how different High Streamer was since my only knowledge of it is the designs (which are really bizarre to me.) I don't really think Brent was wrong though, given that I think CCA and Beltorchika's Children are the more popular of the 3 works. Though I might be wrong on that, I just don't have a lot of info about High Streamer (I should probably look through here some time!)

No need to use a rude tone with Brent though. His point still stands imo. Beltorchika's Children and CCA fit into that mold of Anime > Novelization with more detail quite nicely.
BrentD15

Xenosynth wrote:Char's Counterattack is one of the few other series technically that has a novel first. And then of course, CCA was followed by Beltorchika's Children... so I think that CCA is a special case really, I don't know how different High Streamer was since my only knowledge of it is the designs (which are really bizarre to me.) I don't really think Brent was wrong though, given that I think CCA and Beltorchika's Children are the more popular of the 3 works. Though I might be wrong on that, I just don't have a lot of info about High Streamer (I should probably look through here some time!)

No need to use a rude tone with Brent though. His point still stands imo. Beltorchika's Children and CCA fit into that mold of Anime > Novelization with more detail quite nicely.
Thanks, Xeno. :)
I wonder if something similar will happen to Origin.
"To you who will watch, I offer a heart filled with gratitude." -Yoshiyuki Tomino, Gundam Reconguista in G, Episode 25
Deacon Blues

It's interesting to see that the script presented in the great works collection varies from the actual episode itself... 0_o
Kratos

Really! Just in dialogue, or were there significant details/scenes cut?

That certainly wouldn't surprise me with later episodes, but for the first couple, you'd think it'd be pretty close.
"The beast of opportunity finds its master and soars through a shaken cosmos"
Deacon Blues

I'm not really keen on script translating as there is some stuff in here I'm just like "wtf" on (some abbreviated lingo later on that is). Apologies for how rough and stilted this may sound. This is from page one of the script. There doesn't seem to be too many changes from what is seen in the anime, though there is added dialogue and some scene change ups. I'm really interested in seeing the final script though. Not sure why that didn't make the cut in these books...
○ Lagrange Point (Open Space)

Currently, a cluster of space colonies floating. (Contrast with "Mobile Suit Gundam" the movie edition opening cut)
Peoples cheering beings to echo off screen.

ANNOUNCER: It is now 23:40 Greenwich Mean Time.

An Island 3 type under construction.

ANNOUNCER: One world is about to end, and a new one is about to be born.

Sparks from welding flicker here and there along the bare steel frame. The Earth is seen in the break of the void of space.

○ Earth Orbit

Patrolling Salamis-class vessels.
Floating past them toward the other side, a space establishment of geometric beauty-- the Prime Ministers residence "Laplace".

ANNOUNCER: The Earth Federatoin government is about to host a ceremony...

Detail that does not convey a sense of distance even with an empty background. A doughnut-shaped residential block and an upper and lower disc-type mirror block.

ANNOUNCER: to usher in the birth of the new calendar era.

○ Inside Laplace - Ceremony Place

A battery of television cameras.
Leaders of the Federation government member states are seated in a row at the venue. The first Prime Minister, Ricardo Marcenas, nears the podium before them.

ANNOUNCER: Mankind has set foot into a new era, in which we shall build for ourselves worlds to live in, beyond Mother Earth. The role of lighting the light of civilization in this vast universe has been bestowed upon mankind.

Laid out somewhere or a slight insert of the stone monument of the Universal Century Charter that should be read aloud (a portion).

○ Outside Laplace

Standing on the opposite side of a mirror block, seventeen year old Syam gazes down at the Earth.

ANNOUNCER: From here on, those who travel into outer space won't just be astronauts and engineers. They will be pioneers who live in space, burning the light of civilization.

Green and white lights flicker near and far--the navigation lights of the guarding Salamis-class.
Behind Syam, the spacesuits of his comrades signal the work is done. Nodding, Syam attempts to move. He looks down at the Earth once more. A bitter facial expression contrary to the resonant voice. The Earth light reflecting on the visor hides that.

ANNOUNCER: Everyone of us can be a chosen space citizen.
hamori

I've recently heard that apparently there was a short sequel epilogue released with the Perfect Grade Unicorn. The promo talked about it 6 months after OVA 7 in November 0096. The Feds still are looking for Magellanica, Minerva and RX-0 which all seemed to have vanished.....but all I found on the matter was this:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-8XTkdZYbgEY/V ... 6512c9.jpg

If this is true, does it bring closure to the Gundam Unicorn OVA? I can't read Japanese so I can't translate it.
balofo

hamori wrote:I've recently heard that apparently there was a short sequel epilogue released with the Perfect Grade Unicorn. The promo talked about it 6 months after OVA 7 in November 0096. The Feds still are looking for Magellanica, Minerva and RX-0 which all seemed to have vanished.....but all I found on the matter was this:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-8XTkdZYbgEY/V ... 6512c9.jpg

If this is true, does it bring closure to the Gundam Unicorn OVA? I can't read Japanese so I can't translate it.
That's the gist of that promo.

There's a new novel by Fukui coming with the OVA7 Great Works book set, we're waiting for it.
BrentD15

hamori wrote:Minerva and RX-0 which all seemed to have vanished.....
I'm getting an 08th MS Team vibe from that. :D
Deacon Blues

balofo wrote:
There's a new novel by Fukui coming with the OVA7 Great Works book set, we're waiting for it.

I don't recall seeing anything about a new novel for the third box set... where'd you see this?
balofo

福井晴敏氏書き下ろしのオリジナル小説やスタッフインタビューが収録される予定。
http://www.gundam.info/topic/11919
penguintruth

I managed to snag a Blu-Ray volume 7 from The Right Stuf just before they ran out (it's shipping now). Honestly, I hate myself a little for paying that much for all of this, but I'm one of these obsessive types who can't have a hole like that in my collection. I may pass on The Origin, though, unless the stripped down frills-free version is noticeably cheaper. I mean,

I loved watching Gundam Unicorn, but damn was it pricey.

I have already seen Episode 7 ahead of time, and wonder if other people saw some of the callbacks to settings in the UC at the very end during the speech, like a familiar looking Hong Kong rooftop where two blue-haired Newtypes had a date.
Visit my YouTube page for episodes of Otaku Evolution, my anime review show! (Watch with Adblock off!)
balofo

BD updates:
-As per novel the manga, Nahel reaches L1 Junction then Zinnerman hijacks it
-Norn also gets the Hyper Beam Javelin

ROZ forces soon
Deacon Blues

The new boxed set comes with a book called "Mobile Suit Moon Gundam" book which appears to be a precursor idea of how the series was supposed to be. Details later.

Sadly mecha artwork from older series wasn't updated to the new style.

No general revil lineart aside from color pages.
balofo

Cool, but I'm really interested in the new novel by Fukui for the OVA 7 set.

This will give hints if they're planning an UC sequel
Deacon Blues

The novel will probably be the wrap up. There's nothing to focus on after the series. Unless they do a ramp up to Hathaways Flash or something.
balofo

You really think they're gonna pass the chance of milking further the most successful OVA series in history?

Plot relevant things that are still around: Gryps II, rest of the Neo Zeon fleet, Republic of Zeon, Angelo, the RX-0s, etc.

Fukui could easily pull a new story out of this coinciding with the RoZ extinction in 0099.
Deacon Blues

Doubtful considering there is a lack of a commanding figure for Neo Zeon. Angelo doesn't have the gusto for that and the introduction of a new puppet would just be dumb.

Yeah Gryps II is still around but since it was an "OMG what?!" Moment it'll probably be decommissioned.