The Official Gundam Reconguista Anime Thread Mk III

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Outlaw

Re: The Official Gundam Reconguista Anime Thread Mk III

As much as I like Bel as a character, I can't help but feel he's like the anti-Amuro.
Both are gifted youngsters but whereas Amuro goes from relying on the Gundam to effectively surpassing it by the end, Bellri starts out as a lauded overachiever and by the end is basically steamrolling everyone with the G-Self's incredible performance.

As an aside, has it been explained somewhere if Noredo has some connection to the space pope? They both have the same last name and it seems he always makes a point to greet her individually, sooo relatives maybe?

gunform1010 wrote:But let's have Bell die. Not b/c he sucks but b/c it's more fun that way.
Ummm... no. :P
As someone opposed to the school of thought that says grim dark=better I have no choice but to take the opposing stance.
Happy endings for everyone, everyone. All the mains live, all the couples hook up and have families, everyone moves to earth, crazy Venus guy is thawed out just fine, even Cahill comes back because he was saved by a deus ex mechanic and taken to a blind priest to recover.

killmikekill wrote:You have to sift through the massive amounts of garbage to get to the good stuff.
Congratulations, you just summed up the internet in its entirety with a single sentence.
"“As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up reasons to kill one another."
gunform1010

Outlaw wrote:As much as I like Bel as a character, I can't help but feel he's like the anti-Amuro.
Both are gifted youngsters but whereas Amuro goes from relying on the Gundam to effectively surpassing it by the end, Bellri starts out as a lauded overachiever and by the end is basically steamrolling everyone with the G-Self's incredible performance.

As an aside, has it been explained somewhere if Noredo has some connection to the space pope? They both have the same last name and it seems he always makes a point to greet her individually, sooo relatives maybe?

gunform1010 wrote:But let's have Bell die. Not b/c he sucks but b/c it's more fun that way.
Ummm... no. :P
As someone opposed to the school of thought that says grim dark=better I have no choice but to take the opposing stance.
Happy endings for everyone, everyone. All the mains live, all the couples hook up and have families, everyone moves to earth, crazy Venus guy is thawed out just fine, even Cahill comes back because he was saved by a deus ex mechanic and taken to a blind priest to recover.

killmikekill wrote:You have to sift through the massive amounts of garbage to get to the good stuff.
Congratulations, you just summed up the internet in its entirety with a single sentence.
First of all, be thankful I'm not asking for the Ideon kill-fest at least. :mrgreen:
Second of all, killmikekill is totally the Colonel from MGS2.
Third of all, why have they NOT TALKED ABOUT that family connection? At all?\
Fourth of all, yeah Bell's an overachiever but at least he's not a jerk about it, that's what's cool. Which also might help his anti-Amuro image, he doesn't go over his head.
"Gunpla is freedom!" -Meijin Kawaguchi III

Love Live/Gundam Build Fighters semi-crossover/spin-off in works
BrentD15

gunform1010 wrote:First of all, be thankful I'm not asking for the Ideon kill-fest at least. :mrgreen:
Even then, there was the hope of rebirth. :)
"To you who will watch, I offer a heart filled with gratitude." -Yoshiyuki Tomino, Gundam Reconguista in G, Episode 25
HEDGESMFG
Location: Somewhere, out there, beneath the pale moonlight...

Cumpa has his hand in nearly ever major political faction/event in this era. Could he also have influenced the Capital Army/G-IT alliance since he was himself a former figure on Venus? Taking it a step further, could he have convinced the Hazm government on Towasanga to contract the G-IT members in the first place since he also had pull in the non-Dorette allied parts of Towasanga (including the resistance, where he was confirmed to have formerly been an ally)?

It seems like Cumpa really is G-Reco's version of "a wizard did it". He plays a hand in almost everything. Feel free to tell me if I've got this wrong here.
balofo

Based Tomino
Last edited by balofo on Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gunform1010

The endgame is incoming!

Deacon Blues

Welp...
Spoiler
didn't see Cumpa's death coming...
balofo

Awesome ending!

Thanks Tomino, a nice ending for you career.
gunform1010

balofo wrote:Awesome ending!

Thanks Tomino, a nice ending for you career.
NO. GET HIM TO FINISH IDEON LIKE HE PROMISED! :twisted:

balofo

I wouldn't hope for compilation movies with fixed animation and extra scenes even with with the series success.

I guess this was really the end
gunform1010

Spoiler
Bellri becomes a backpacker/tourist.

Sure why not. This series was weird from the start. :mrgreen:
Deacon Blues wrote:Welp...

didn't see Cumpa's death coming...
No one did. Ouch.

BrentD15

Kun Soon was adorable throughout the ending.
"To you who will watch, I offer a heart filled with gratitude." -Yoshiyuki Tomino, Gundam Reconguista in G, Episode 25
gunform1010

So.

Can we get mech rentals now? :D

Mythgarr

Season 2. Season 2. Season 2. If only for the stupidly crazy lovable mech designs!
Visit The Dreams
latenlazy

Holy crap
Spoiler
was that Jaburo?!
*sigh*

I understand the point of G-Reco now. In the end, I think Tomino's saying that humanity will never grow up. We will always have both the dangers and delights of children.
Geoxile

Wow.

I think the point was that people shouldn't live in isolation, using only the prejudiced views of their ancestors to learn about the world. Instead they should expose themselves to the world and form their own conclusions from their own intuitions, rather than relying on what their parents instilled in them. In the end, the Megafauna wasn't an anti-war group. They took part in the final battle just as much as any side. Raraiya and Aida went as far as to destroy the new capital ship of Ameria; Ringo shot down the Capital Army Commander; the Megafauna was engaging the Garandan in combat IIRC; Bellri did his own thing.

If anything I think the show calls for youths to cast aside the burdens of their parents, see the world with their own eyes, and act as how they see fit.

I think this show takes the top spot as my favorite Gundam show. I wish it could have been a few episodes longer with some parts expanded, like the epilogue, and more of the side characters like Ringo and Kerbes, but it was still excellent.

Speaking of Ringo, did anyone think that he was a Rayhunton loyalist? When he first sees the G-Self, he says "the MS that was stored at our place?" (paraphrased), which gave me the impression that he was referring to a residence, maybe where the rebels stored the YG-111 while it was being manufactured. Later on, Raraiya tells Bellri that Ringo called him "Mr. Pilot who can use the G-Self to its full potential", which suggested that Ringo had prior knowledge of the G-Self. Maybe I'm looking too much into it, but they seem little hints to me.
Raikoh

I'll admit that about halfway through when things started piling up I ended up joining camp confused at G-Reco, but I totally get why I was confused and am willing to do some legwork to understand Reco (perhaps for a rewatch at some point in the future).

I still rather enjoyed Reco as a whole. I love everything Tomino did in making the world feel completely organic and making even minor characters have distinct personalities. Mechanical design and combat is probably a 10/10, having some of the best choreography and animation I've ever seen.

I find that Reco has so many different messages behind it. Messages to viewers, messages to anime producers, messages to the Gundam franchise as a whole, just a lot of underlying subtext and composition that makes it more than just another Gundam series. It might be a bit pretentious, but G-Reco is likely one of the most rich anime series period in terms of artistic merit. It felt a lot like an old serial novel (like The Count of Monte Cristo) to me.

I'll still probably prefer more accessible series, like War in the Pocket and Turn A, but in the end I have nothing but respect for G-Reco.

Z'Gok cameos, YESSSS
THE WORLD IS NOT SQUARE
Amion

latenlazy wrote:Holy crap
Spoiler
was that Jaburo?!
*sigh*

I understand the point of G-Reco now. In the end, I think Tomino's saying that humanity will never grow up. We will always have both the dangers and delights of children.
That's the feeling I got after watching the epilogue, though there's definitely some other stuff that Geoxile mentioned as well.

The only real issue I still feel is that this ending came 13 episodes too soon. 39-ish episodes would have hit the sweet spot for Reconguista and fleshed out its politics better.

It's funny, but Steer's English just got less on my nerves as time went on until I actually started looking forward to her moments of shouting out those two word sentences. I wonder if Tomino was using her to mock the fad of shouting out poorly pronounced/researched/practiced English in anime.
They don't know the power of a balanced vision.