The Official Gundam Reconguista Anime Thread Mk III

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
latenlazy

Re: The Official Gundam Reconguista Anime Thread Mk III

Wellman wrote:Yeah, I sort of wish instead of episode after episode of Bellri and the crew beating back the Capital Army, we could have gotten to the introduction of the other factions sooner.

The leader of Dorette was in like what two episodes before this one? How is their plans for Reconguista different enough that the Full Moon ship/GIST group don't just work with them instead of the Capital Army? And WTF is Cumpa playing at in the first place with all this war he instigated and secretly condemns?

Still liking the show a great deal, the designs are great, G-Self is awesome and it looks like Tomino *adjusts tie* is in top gear now.
I believe they don't work with one another because they simply don't trust each other. Each faction either has an ideological mistrust or deep fear of the others that leads to bigotry (really not so different from the real world). Tomino is reminding us that we are much better at judging others based on our beliefs than judging ourselves as indicated by the number of times someone has accused another of being violent by nature while being unable to recognize their own bellicose temperament. This mixed with ambition inevitably leads to conflict, even on a purpose that one might think would inherently garner common understanding. In this case that conflict emerges in the form of everyone trying to do Reconguista for themselves and their own. Spatial drift and our own tribalism and ambitions seem enough to divide humanity and doom it to conflict, no matter how tragic the history or strong peace enforcing social norms are. The irony of Reconguista is that everyone ends up fighting to go back to Earth on their own terms because in their ideals they see a common humanity as a part of their identity, and the thought of drifting, changing, and decaying away from Earth is unbearable (as stated and demonstrated very clearly by La Gu), yet they will fight and dehumanize other people to achieve those ends because they don't trust others

As for what Cumpa's up to, it seems to me that he recognizes these impulses in the human condition for violence and division, and, if I'm reading his agenda right, he thinks if humanity is consigned to this fate of never ending tribalism and conflict, he would much rather have his group of people, who he probably feels are one of the dispossessed, be on top. Cumpa actually have a very deep insight and twisted sense of wisdom of these problems with human violence, oppression, and racism. He's just chosen to use that gift cynically. This would also explain why he has such a strong alliance with Mask, because he sees and understands the ambitions of this young Kuntala, and I would not be surprised if Venus Globe sees the Kuntala as like them. In Luin he's found an ideological ally as well as someone with dedication that he can use as an instrument for his own ends. Cumpa's Capital Army is an insurrection force built up for the use of the more aggressive and even desperate factions on Venus Globe, and, now, for a young Kuntala who wants power and revenge for his people in the name of justice. Its aim isn't just Reconguista, but the elimination, or, rather, "weeding out" of other groups that Cumpa deems as having an innate nature for violence (yes, it's meant to be ironic). The winner dictates where humanity goes after Reconguista, and VG and the Kuntala don't just want a voice, but ultimate dominion.
Last edited by latenlazy on Sat Mar 14, 2015 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Amion

That's a pretty good interpretation of Cumpa's motives, Lazy.

And one reason why having the show blatantly tell us stuff like this is basically more juvenile a form of storytelling than what G-Reco is doing. Though it still could have been a little less hectic with how it went about its fewer explanations.
They don't know the power of a balanced vision.
excalibur2008

latenlazy wrote: The irony of Reconguista is that everyone ends up fighting to go back to Earth on their own terms because in their ideals they see a common humanity as a part of their identity, and the thought of drifting, changing, and decaying away from Earth is unbearable (as stated and demonstrated very clearly by La Gu),
Is it wrong that I'm chuckling at the irony of after all the UC Spacenoid factions that poped up going on about how humanity needs to abandon the Earth as part of its destiny, 1000s of years later in the RG humanity seems to have decided "screw that we want to go back to Earth"?
latenlazy

excalibur2008 wrote:
latenlazy wrote: The irony of Reconguista is that everyone ends up fighting to go back to Earth on their own terms because in their ideals they see a common humanity as a part of their identity, and the thought of drifting, changing, and decaying away from Earth is unbearable (as stated and demonstrated very clearly by La Gu),
Is it wrong that I'm chuckling at the irony of after all the UC Spacenoid factions that poped up going on about how humanity needs to abandon the Earth as part of its destiny, 1000s of years later in the RG humanity seems to have decided "screw that we want to go back to Earth"?
I bet Tomino is laughing too.
balofo

Wow, Tomino managed to make a series without a SINGLE unlikable character!

Going out in a high note.
gunform1010

balofo wrote:Wow, Tomino managed to make a series without a SINGLE unlikable character!

Pfft, I hate Flaminia and Barara a lot. Also Mask a little.
"Gunpla is freedom!" -Meijin Kawaguchi III

Love Live/Gundam Build Fighters semi-crossover/spin-off in works
Deathzealot

gunform1010 wrote:
Pfft, I hate Flaminia and Barara a lot. Also Mask a little.
Heh. I keep calling Flamina traitor everytime she appears or booing at her.
Rawinder

balofo wrote:Wow, Tomino managed to make a series without a SINGLE unlikable character!

Easy to do when you don't know what anyone is doing or thinking at any given time.
Soma Taozi
Location: Singing 'By Your Side' to a bunch of soldiers in Club Eden.

Honestly? I don't think I like a single one of these characters...I was asking myself, "who do you want to survive? Who, dying, would be a deal-breaker for you Soma?" And I came to the conclusion that...I just don't care about any of these wacky people. Maybe the helms-woman who talks in English every now and then?

Its not like I hate these characters, I just don't care about them. Which is sad, considering we have had so much time with them. The problem is that all their actions were so strange, weird, bizarre, and with strange dialogue, I find myself strangely disconnected from these people. Because they don't feel real. They feel like a bunch of minor-One Piece characters tied together in a Gundam story...only without the likability. Maybe it is just me, but Tomino has a bad habit of not giving us a reason to like characters...Victory Gundam being the best example of this. Ah well, at least the art-style was great.

Oh and I think G-Reco has the most beautiful examples of beam technology in Gundam. That tree beam from last episode was a work of art. And Rock-Pie's MS was amazing to look at too in that cloak...some great stand-out designs in Reco...and I don't really care about that stuff normally.
For 2000 years I lay dormant, now I have returned to bring good cheer to you all once again!

-Me, 7/19/2020
Jak Crow

I've watched 15 episodes, and quite frankly, I don't care about anything happening, which ironically is about the same feeling I got from Eureka 7. The MS designs are just painful to look at and the animation has not gotten any better. It would seem that Build Fighters is getting the better effort.
anonena

watching too much animes will lead you to think generic stereotype anime characters are "real"

rarely of any other gundam shows have dynamic dimension characters like this
they have life for themselves think for themselves and all have personal agenda
that not hard to predict but dashing
domino

I'd be sad (kinda) if Genius Klim bit the bullet if only because he is the only one who's been consistent with his motivations and personality.

Klim is also really arrogant so I'm sure his death will be played up quite a bit if it happens
gunform1010

domino wrote:I'd be sad (kinda) if Genius Klim bit the bullet if only because he is the only one who's been consistent with his motivations and personality.

Klim is also really arrogant so I'm sure his death will be played up quite a bit if it happens
<- * not so secretly looking forward to Klim's death* :mrgreen:

latenlazy

Soma Taozi wrote:Honestly? I don't think I like a single one of these characters...I was asking myself, "who do you want to survive? Who, dying, would be a deal-breaker for you Soma?" And I came to the conclusion that...I just don't care about any of these wacky people. Maybe the helms-woman who talks in English every now and then?

Its not like I hate these characters, I just don't care about them. Which is sad, considering we have had so much time with them. The problem is that all their actions were so strange, weird, bizarre, and with strange dialogue, I find myself strangely disconnected from these people. Because they don't feel real. They feel like a bunch of minor-One Piece characters tied together in a Gundam story...only without the likability. Maybe it is just me, but Tomino has a bad habit of not giving us a reason to like characters...Victory Gundam being the best example of this. Ah well, at least the art-style was great.

Oh and I think G-Reco has the most beautiful examples of beam technology in Gundam. That tree beam from last episode was a work of art. And Rock-Pie's MS was amazing to look at too in that cloak...some great stand-out designs in Reco...and I don't really care about that stuff normally.
Curious about what you found strange, weird, or bizarre? I have a different takeaway obvious, but it's always interesting to know the reasons behind alternative points of view.
BrentD15

I personally found the characters to be the most human of any Gundam series to date. :)
"To you who will watch, I offer a heart filled with gratitude." -Yoshiyuki Tomino, Gundam Reconguista in G, Episode 25
anonena

BrentD15 wrote:I personally found the characters to be the most human of any Gundam series to date. :)
I'm back this, some of them are really like my gang when I'm on high school.
hence, when I saw a cocky bastard like Klim Nick even remind me of my younger self
Outlaw

Soma Taozi wrote:Maybe the helms-woman who talks in English every now and then?
I believe her name is Steer. At first I just thought they were referring to her position as helmsman (helmswoman?) but I think it's actually her name. Oh, Tomino and your craaazy naming habits.

On a related note who does her voice? Her english is pretty good, not fluent, but it's still better than the average english in anime I've heard.

Soma Taozi wrote:Oh and I think G-Reco has the most beautiful examples of beam technology in Gundam. That tree beam from last episode was a work of art.
It is a striking display of why someone would name a pyramid Yggdrasil.
"“As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up reasons to kill one another."
Amion

Outlaw wrote:
Soma Taozi wrote:Maybe the helms-woman who talks in English every now and then?
I believe her name is Steer. At first I just thought they were referring to her position as helmsman (helmswoman?) but I think it's actually her name. Oh, Tomino and your craaazy naming habits.

On a related note who does her voice? Her english is pretty good, not fluent, but it's still better than the average english in anime I've heard.

Soma Taozi wrote:Oh and I think G-Reco has the most beautiful examples of beam technology in Gundam. That tree beam from last episode was a work of art.
It is a striking display of why someone would name a pyramid Yggdrasil.
I think the pyramid was meant to be the seed or something. Kinda cool, depicting the World Tree as having a triangular seed.
They don't know the power of a balanced vision.
gunform1010

While we're talking about the Yggdrasil-

Anyone get some Big Zam vibes from that battle? Because I did. For some reason.

Mattro

Well this episode was something, all them feels. Manny/Luin and Klim/Mick. bellri is an ass.