The Official Gundam Build Fighters Try Anime Thread Mk-V

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
AmuroNT1

Re: The Official Gundam Build Fighters Try Anime Thread Mk-V

He wasn't using "force" to knock back the thugs, he was just pulling his attacks at the very last second to intimidate them without actually touching them. That level of control said to be one of the marks of a truly talented martial artist.
Sakuya: "Whatever. Stop lying and give up your schemes, now."
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

-Touhou 07.5 ~ Immaterial and Missing Power
BrentD15

AmuroNT1 wrote:Though I will agree that I'd like to see him performing more straight-up martial arts rather than only using special moves, since we've already had it demonstrated that he's a competent fighter outside of the cockpit. The only justification seems to be "regular punches and kicks won't have a lot of effect on a giant robot, even if they're used by another giant robot."
Then again, considering he's fighting against enemies that more than likely have ranged weapons and can just get out of his melee range... :P
"To you who will watch, I offer a heart filled with gratitude." -Yoshiyuki Tomino, Gundam Reconguista in G, Episode 25
gunform1010

AmuroNT1 wrote:He wasn't using "force" to knock back the thugs, he was just pulling his attacks at the very last second to intimidate them without actually touching them. That level of control said to be one of the marks of a truly talented martial artist.
Hmm. Some discipline. 8)

One thing I wish happened was saber/club steals.
"Gunpla is freedom!" -Meijin Kawaguchi III

Love Live/Gundam Build Fighters semi-crossover/spin-off in works
Ziryab

Raikoh wrote:
Strike Zero wrote:If you're going to call it like that, you might as well stop heaping praise over the first season and everything it supposedly did so perfectly, because the Build Strike's absorb system attacks and the RG system were exactly the same thing.
I think the difference is that Jegan Howareyou has left a lot of people missing Build Knuckle, for a variety of reasons. Every fight started with the shield being destroyed and ended with the Knuckle, but everything in between was always different. Not to mention that the ways these happened would differ from fight to fight, and that the Knuckle didn't start being used until episode 15.

Conversely, Try's fight choreography has just been bland, since everything Sekai does is just "rush forward and hit them really hard." Even when they had an out with the phoenix to give him some ki attacks and make Build Burning's fights more DBZ levels of dynamic... Nope, more Seiken Zuki.
Thanks, you've summed my only two major complaints with Try (The first being Fumina is not the head protagonist).

But there are moments here and there where it seems like the show attempts to makeup for the lagging fight choreography. The fight in this episode may not have been amazing—though better than the previous episode's—I at least felt some energy and tension in it.

Until the Haros popped out, I thought the Portent was going down or at least remain wounded for the rest of the fight. Then I also thought The End was going to bite it once Full Cloth dropped the heat stiletto heel. And Lucas did seem like a viable threat in that he could hold his own in a two-on-one and make them pay dearly even if he lost a three-on-one. Shame his character is pretty much tacked on in the story.
Hmm. Luke, this Gundam reminds me of a puzzle.

Steam ID: MediumPunch
3DS FC: 0189 9106 6003
Zeonista

Raikoh wrote:Speaking of, what ARE the rules regarding MGs in the Build Fighters universe? How come we've never seen any of them?
That's a good question! :) I believe the answer though has less to do with tactics most of the time and has more to do with the game itself. The interactive game called "Gundam Build Fighters" is meant to have a wide appeal to a lot of people, not just the gearheads and the Gundam otaku. It's a game that anybody can play and have fun playing, and this gets mentioned a dozen times per season just in case we forget it. The 1/144 HG and SD kits are the standard instead of MG because they are the sort of gunpla that anyone can take off the shelf and put together to play a game with minimal difficulty. For about $20 and an hour of your time, you too can slap together a HG or SD MS, take it over to the game board, and get to fighting! Now if you want to take a little more time & effort, such as using some paint & water decals, gluing the non-flexible parts together, and springing for some option parts, more power to you. (No really, the game will give you more power because of it! :)) But let's not forget that the tournaments are sort of like professional console game players at a tournament mashing away on their special controllers against similar-grade players on boosted-performance versions of the games anyone can buy in a game store. There's a difference between casual fun gamers, serious gamers, and the world warriors, right? Sei, Reiji, and Team Try are living the dream for a lot of regular kids (and adults who are kids at heart) who like to play some GBF but for various reasons are never going to make it into a tournament, let alone win one and get a shot at the title.
"I am fire. I am death. I am Hashmal."

"Discontent is the first step in the progress for a man or a nation." - Oscar Wilde
monster

For the people complaining that Von Braun should have at least gotten to "kill" one Celestial Sphere member...well, they did. It got said in the episode that the damage to the G-Portent should have taken it out of the fight, but Shia's emergency repair got her going again,
It might have been (temporarily) taken out of the fight, but not out of the match until it is destroyed.
and as I said before, served to emphasize her role as the master builder.
I question the need to do this when we are already near the end of the season. The G-Portent itself is already a fine testament to her building ability. At the very least, they could've showcased that ability without having Lucas made a bad decision by having her teammates provide a distraction for her to get away. The fact that Lucas warned his teammate not to pursue the G-Portent and potentially finish it off was disappointing to me. Whether or not it was still a threat, the G-Portent was the ideal target for them at that moment regardless of their overall strategy.

Alternatively, the other place where I think they could afford to make Lucas look a little bit better is that final scene. It's obvious that Lucas had the match lost, so they didn't need to have the Crossbone be utterly defeated like that.
Chris
Administrator

Zeonista wrote:
Raikoh wrote:Speaking of, what ARE the rules regarding MGs in the Build Fighters universe? How come we've never seen any of them?
That's a good question! :) I believe the answer though has less to do with tactics most of the time and has more to do with the game itself. The interactive game called "Gundam Build Fighters" is meant to have a wide appeal to a lot of people, not just the gearheads and the Gundam otaku. It's a game that anybody can play and have fun playing, and this gets mentioned a dozen times per season just in case we forget it. The 1/144 HG and SD kits are the standard instead of MG because they are the sort of gunpla that anyone can take off the shelf and put together to play a game with minimal difficulty. For about $20 and an hour of your time, you too can slap together a HG or SD MS, take it over to the game board, and get to fighting! Now if you want to take a little more time & effort, such as using some paint & water decals, gluing the non-flexible parts together, and springing for some option parts, more power to you. (No really, the game will give you more power because of it! :)) But let's not forget that the tournaments are sort of like professional console game players at a tournament mashing away on their special controllers against similar-grade players on boosted-performance versions of the games anyone can buy in a game store. There's a difference between casual fun gamers, serious gamers, and the world warriors, right? Sei, Reiji, and Team Try are living the dream for a lot of regular kids (and adults who are kids at heart) who like to play some GBF but for various reasons are never going to make it into a tournament, let alone win one and get a shot at the title.
We could also look to the anime for evidence, which has given us MG (or at least 1/100) elements. This was in the original series: http://www.mahq.net/mecha/gundam/bf/rx-79bd-3.htm

So we have a 1/144 Blue Destiny using 1/100 arms, with the result being monstrously huge arms. I don't recall any other instances of parts from different scaled getting mixed together.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
Zeonista

That one case though are 1/100 parts being used as option parts to enhance a HG kit. That is, it;s a 1/144 upgrade, not someone putting a MG Blue Destiny on the playing field. That being said, using HG kits to form a MG-size combiner is legit. So is using a MA-sized HG kit. A Psycho Gundam in MS form is big enough to be a MG in terms of size, so is a Kyshatria, and they are "HG". I suppose there is a conference ruling for those types?

"Discontent is the first step in the progress for a man or a nation." - Oscar Wilde
killmikekill

Sorry if this is a stupid question but what about Perfect Grade? Would those just be too large for competition? I know they are very expensive but would they also be way too huge for competitive purposes?
balofo

It seems the sequel is real by twitter comments from the staff, Ebikawa is already presenting new designs...
BrentD15

balofo wrote:It seems the sequel is real by twitter comments from the staff, Ebikawa is already presenting new designs...
Hopefully they'll have more time to flesh out the characters better this time around than last time. :)
"To you who will watch, I offer a heart filled with gratitude." -Yoshiyuki Tomino, Gundam Reconguista in G, Episode 25
Vent Noir

killmikekill wrote:Sorry if this is a stupid question but what about Perfect Grade? Would those just be too large for competition? I know they are very expensive but would they also be way too huge for competitive purposes?
Well, if a Mega Size Zaku can be used, I guess a PG can be as well...

Actually, I've heard that Bandai has recently been de-emphasizing MG kits in favor of more HGs. MGs tend to sell well proportionally here in Australia, but that's a tiny market (only ~25 million population, and market penetration probably slightly higher than the US)
Vent Noir

@AJDynon on Twitter

April 7, 1979: The first episode of Mobile Suit Gundam premieres. Fanboys declare Gundam "Ruined FOREVER".
Zeonista

balofo wrote:It seems the sequel is real by twitter comments from the staff, Ebikawa is already presenting new designs...
It is certain there will be a sequel or extension, since it has taken them an entire season to get Team Try Gundam to the Nationals. It would require many more episodes to get them to the top of the World Championship! And based on the anime's popularity and reflected model sales, Sunrise will not fail in their petition to Namco-Bandai. :)

gunform1010

Bet on another time skip?
"Gunpla is freedom!" -Meijin Kawaguchi III

Love Live/Gundam Build Fighters semi-crossover/spin-off in works
toysdream

I was wondering how long it would take before people started doing the math and speculating about a sequel. :-)

(And no, I don't have any inside info on that subject. If I did, I couldn't speculate in public, but for the time being it's fair game!)

-- Mark
Xenosynth

Balofo: Can you link to some of the twitter comments? Mainly because another friend in an outside group never believes things I tell him without solid sources, so I'd like to provide them. Mainly just tweets within the context of a sequel.
balofo

Source:
小川 正和 @mkaz0310

そしてビルドファイターズトライで一つ。先日クスィーガンダムや選手権の機体絡みの呟きをしましたが、綿田監督から「追加でアレも出していいかな?」という相談がありました。出し方の配慮は頼みましたが基本OKということで果たして何が出るのか。お楽しみに! #g_bf

今日(というかもう昨日)は、とある打ち合わせで海老川さんから出して頂いたデザインに手応えアリ。これは…!諸々発表できる日がまた一段と待ち遠しくなりました。

今週はクロスボーンガンダムX1フルクロスで来週は予告にあったように最強機動トライオン3。最終話に向けて選手権の機体やクスィーもありますがそれ以外にも…。今日は楽しい会議もやっていたようですし、ガンプラは果てしないなあと。そして次企画の劇伴候補の資料で悩む夜です。

小川 正和 @mkaz0310 Jan 20
いろいろなことがありそうな今後。トライを楽しんでいただいている方々はもちろんのこと、前作ビルドファイターズのファンの方々にも良い話・報告ができればいいなあと思った今日でした。

BABA BA//// @BxAxBxA Feb 7
実はトライファイターズの皆様が隣にいらっしゃる時に、もの凄く重要な絵が日本から送られてきた。 このタイミング、運命なのではと思う。 早く観て貰いたいんだけど、その日が来ないで欲しいな、ともちょっと思うんだな。

BABA BA//// @BxAxBxA Mar 5
今日は4月以降の事を楽しく語り合いました
It's pretty much set in stone, we only need to know the format. If it's a an anime series this Fall, then it's going to be rushed again...
Last edited by balofo on Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Xenosynth

Thanks for the sources Balofo. Can't entirely read all of them but I hope they'll be sufficient for a friend.

Though I'm curious about if this may mean another fall season with two Gundam shows.
Strike Zero

gunform1010 wrote:Bet on another time skip?
It's highly probable that the third installment will pick up from where Try leaves off and move the cast up to the world tournament.

I myself would prefer starting over with another new cast, but there are some interesting directions they could take it if that's the route they end up going.
Thundermuffin wrote:SETSUNA: There is no Tomino in this world.
Dark Duel

I, for one, would NOT prefer them starting over AGAIN with another new cast. I'd rather see the cast we have in Try move on to the open/world tournament. And then they could possibly feature guest appearances by characters from S1 - not in a prominent role, necessarily, but maybe as supporting cast. Plus I want to find out more about how come all of a sudden we have TWO people with the "Kawaguchi" pseudonym.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."