The Official Gundam Build Fighters Try Anime Thread Mk-IV

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
gunform1010

Re: The Official Gundam Build Fighters Try Anime Thread Mk-I

Strike Zero wrote:
Outlaw wrote:Thinking about it I get the feeling that most, if not all, the root flaws in Try can be traced back to a corporate boardroom. Three times the mobile suits and characters so they can sell more merch, and hamfisting a few shonen cliches in there just smacks of Bandai's recent attempts to woo the younger demographics.
The irony here is that despite the inflated cast, the number of model kits we're getting from Try hasn't exceeded the number we got from the first season by any substantial margin.
And we're missing some- What the hell happened to the G-Bomber? I mean... where the hell do we get bomber wings from?
"Gunpla is freedom!" -Meijin Kawaguchi III

Love Live/Gundam Build Fighters semi-crossover/spin-off in works
Strike Zero

Hey, people sell those Pla Plates for a reason. :wink:
Thundermuffin wrote:SETSUNA: There is no Tomino in this world.
gunform1010

Strike Zero wrote:Hey, people sell those Pla Plates for a reason. :wink:
Scratchbuilding material? Ain't no one got the time fo dat!

Also the damn arms, where could you rip them off from.

Yardly

Strike Zero wrote: The irony here is that despite the inflated cast, the number of model kits we're getting from Try hasn't exceeded the number we got from the first season by any substantial margin.
They kinda have, actually. Or rather, will. It took until September for BF's 17 mass HG releases; Try will exceed that number by May. (Not even counting the Hi-Nu Vrabe and Zero Honoo, of course.)
Brave Fencer Kirby

toysdream wrote:On paper, the idea of turning Gunpla Battle into a team sport seems interesting. But aside from maybe Seiren's Ez-SR trio and a couple of combining teams, there aren't a lot of great examples of team play in the series so far. Is this true of Gundam in general? Have there ever been any great examples of team tactics in the Gundam series that could serve as inspirational models, or is it really just 35 years of duels and random scrimmage?

-- Mark
The best example of "team battles" I can think of in the wider Gundam franchise is 08th MS Team, but even those are fire-and-maneuver style war tactics that don't translate to something like Gunpla Battle very well. And besides, even they rarely fought multiple opponents with their whole team at once -- most fights were either the whole team vs one enemy (like Norris Packard or the Apsaraus) or straight one-on-one fights (like Shiro's Ball vs Aina's Zaku, or Karen's RX-79 vs the Acguy). Similarly, there's a handful of "team" fights in Gundam Seed, but they're almost all a group ganging up on one enemy (the Le Creuset Team vs Strike, the Waltfeld Team vs Strike, the Druggie Trio vs Freedom). Other series with teams of Gundams (like 00, for instance) tends to have the various Gundams fighting separate foes when they're on the same battlefield, rather than having them support each other directly.

Off the top of my head, I can't think of a single instance of multiple units on both sides engaging each other simultaneously. It's an interesting observation about the franchise as a whole, and one I hadn't noticed before. I'm not sure if that means we should cut GBF Try some slack for not doing something that no other Gundam has ever done either, or hassle them that much more for not taking the opportunity to do something unique in the franchise (like the original GBF did with the "backseater" support characters, also something no other Gundam has done).

Still, even with that in mind, GBF Try hasn't even done the "multiple separate simultaneous duels" thing very often. A lot of it has deliberately subverted the three-on-three format, like the G-Portent's introduction simply not launching the other two units on their team, or the early battle against Shimon having his teammates kamikaze-ring-out Fumina and Yuuma so Shimon and Sekai could go one-on-one.
Fighting evil so you don't have to!
Ziryab

killmikekill wrote: Do you mean on its back? It has four thrusters because it was developed by SNRI for use in Jupiter's atmosphere. You can find more info on it here: http://gundam.wikia.com/wiki/XM-X1_Cros ... l_Heart%22
I guessed as much about the ones on its back, but I was referring more to the barrels on the cape/cloth.
Hmm. Luke, this Gundam reminds me of a puzzle.

Steam ID: MediumPunch
3DS FC: 0189 9106 6003
toysdream

Brave Fencer Kirby wrote:Off the top of my head, I can't think of a single instance of multiple units on both sides engaging each other simultaneously. It's an interesting observation about the franchise as a whole, and one I hadn't noticed before. I'm not sure if that means we should cut GBF Try some slack for not doing something that no other Gundam has ever done either, or hassle them that much more for not taking the opportunity to do something unique in the franchise (like the original GBF did with the "backseater" support characters, also something no other Gundam has done).
Given that Gunpla Battle is supposed to be a simulation of mobile suit battle in the Gundam anime, I might question the wisdom of building a series premise on doing stuff that people don't really do in the anime.

On the other hand, if we think of Gundam video games as the predecessor to Gunpla Battle, then it's less unprecedented. True team tactics are fairly rare in the anime, but three-person teams (usually one player with two wingmen) are the bread and butter of Gundam games, and in that genre you normally do have one main fighter and the other two machines merely playing backup.

Would three-on-three Gunpla Battle have made more sense if they'd just come right out and admitted that the standard was to have one star fighter and two supporting lackeys? Then any departure from that norm - any standout achievements by Yuuma and Fumina - would make the heroes seem more egalitarian. Or alternatively, they could spend time squabbling over who was going to be the ace, which would be funny. :-)

-- Mark
Kuruni

Ahh...finally, Mark hit the nail in its head...and it would make Yuuma comment in episode 13 how he realize Sekai is their ace make much more sense.

So if Gunpla Battle is Lucha Libre, it's trios match (which has a captain and two support) but the show try to present the team as if it's parejas (which both members are equal).

Ironically, at this point I start to get the feeling that GBF-T is side-story than full sequel. Fact that it's smaller in scale (U-19 national league instead of all-age international league) doesn't help.
My girlfriend was a loli.
killmikekill

Ziryab wrote:
killmikekill wrote: Do you mean on its back? It has four thrusters because it was developed by SNRI for use in Jupiter's atmosphere. You can find more info on it here: http://gundam.wikia.com/wiki/XM-X1_Cros ... l_Heart%22
I guessed as much about the ones on its back, but I was referring more to the barrels on the cape/cloth.
Do you mean the barrels in this picture that I tried to outline with red: http://i.imgur.com/X3P3oNl.png If you do then that is it's gun. Otherwise I do not know what you are referring to.
AmuroNT1

Ziryab wrote:I guessed as much about the ones on its back, but I was referring more to the barrels on the cape/cloth.
The item you're asking about is the Peacock Smasher, a 9-barrel beam crossbow wielded by the original Full Cloth.
Sakuya: "Whatever. Stop lying and give up your schemes, now."
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

-Touhou 07.5 ~ Immaterial and Missing Power
RyuseiDateSRX

Lucas' X1 Full Cloth doesn't seem to be customised or anything. It just seems to be the original one. I wonder if its a straight build like Shimon's Destiny or if still has modifications done to it, like painting and other stuff. I'm thinking the latter, since I'm pretty sure Lucas would modify it and the Gunpla would be stronger, otherwise it probably wouldn't have made it this far as just a simple straight build, even with Lucas' piloting skills.
Lord Dearche

It's clearly not a straight assembly. Anyone would have easily been able to tell. Not to mention that Wilfred had flat out said that it's most likely the best made unit of anything in the entire tournament. Including their own units.
AmuroNT1

That doesn't necessarily mean it's customized; he could just be referring to build quality.

But the early model info released so far doesn't even suggest anything outside the parameters of the original Full Cloth: It only comes with the Peacock Smasher, Muramasa Blaster, and Full Cloth armor. Granted, the profile for FC in Steel 7 says that its performance is so high all around that it could be considered the ultimate MS if not for its lack of all-range weapons.
Sakuya: "Whatever. Stop lying and give up your schemes, now."
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

-Touhou 07.5 ~ Immaterial and Missing Power
Ziryab

Ah! So it is a gun... that stepped outta the 90s...

Almost feel sad that it'll likely only be in one episode—come on, it's not like he's gonna win.
Hmm. Luke, this Gundam reminds me of a puzzle.

Steam ID: MediumPunch
3DS FC: 0189 9106 6003
RyuseiDateSRX

AmuroNT1 wrote:That doesn't necessarily mean it's customized; he could just be referring to build quality.

But the early model info released so far doesn't even suggest anything outside the parameters of the original Full Cloth: It only comes with the Peacock Smasher, Muramasa Blaster, and Full Cloth armor. Granted, the profile for FC in Steel 7 says that its performance is so high all around that it could be considered the ultimate MS if not for its lack of all-range weapons.
I'm guessing that even though it's original Full Cloth looks and weapon wise and all that, the build quality must be very high, so it's strong enough to take on the opponents in the tournament, and is a lot stronger than most of them or something. So I guess Lucas touched it up in other ways, like materials and painting and all that. In fact, it looks all shiny and all that, so I guess that indicates its build quality and how Lucas touched it up.

I wonder if it's stronger than the Gunpla Academy's Gunpla or not. I guess we'll find out.
Raikoh

HG Full Cloth hasn't been released yet so I don't know how accurate it may be, but if it is customized it might just be with other Crossbone weapons that the Full Cloth had in canon like the foot knives and mouth cannon.

Or it could have modifications we just haven't seen yet, since for some reason the upcoming Full Cloth is called HGBF instead of HGUC...
THE WORLD IS NOT SQUARE
Lord Dearche

AmuroNT1 wrote:That doesn't necessarily mean it's customized; he could just be referring to build quality.
I'm not saying it's customized. Straigh Assembly= built right out of the box with no paint, sanding, etc. The way Shinon's brother crappily made his units. Lucas' unit is properly and masterfully built like a work of art, it's just that it's a stock build with nothing extra as far as we know.
latenlazy

Lucas' Full Clothe is Try's version of Mackenzie's F91 Imagine.
gunform1010

latenlazy wrote:Lucas' Full Clothe is Try's version of Mackenzie's F91 Imagine.
You gotta wonder if Lucas will be beaten by luck and one last trump card like Mackenzie was.

Lord Dearche

Try being Try Wilfred will pop out some random super attack to one shot Luacs even though Lucas will have the upper hand for 99% of the match, just to give Wilfred something to counter Sekais magical pyysical quantizing after image BS that shouldn't even exist.

aka, he'll use TRANS-AM probably.