SRW Z3: Tengoku-Hen

Video games, pen and paper, CCG or any other gaming fun.
Raikoh

SRW Z3: Tengoku-Hen

It's finally happening.

Additions
Spoiler
Returning Series:
-Turn A Gundam
-Gundam X
-Daitarn 3
-Zambot 3
-Genesis of Aquarion

New Series:
-VOTOMS Phantom Arc and Alone Again
-Diebuster
-FMP Novels
-Evangelion Q
-Suisei no Gargantia
There also will be a first print bonus, Rengoku-hen ("Purgatory", but the kanji used for "Ren" is "connection"), which is a 15-stage prologue featuring Setsuko, Crowe, and other originals.

Impressions:
Spoiler
I admit I was pretty hype watching the trailer. The somewhat lackluster animations from Z3.1 have been touched up (some more than others) and the return of Z1 series is expected but still getting my fists raised in joy.

But after Gargantia ended and the new additions stopped I immediately asked myself, "What, is that it?" We don't have any E7 rep, no Gravion, no original Dancouga, no King Gainer, no Xabungle? Technically we have 6 additions but most of them are very short plot-wise and are continuations of existing series, so I'd argue we only got two new series.

Animations are all around better, but there still are some problems. Giving the Laevatein to Team Arbalest was a mistake, and something about Nono's animation feels "off" to me. Though the PV does have a much larger ratio of kickass attacks. Getter, Dix-Neuf, Wing Zero (though it might lose its broken as hell MAP Rolling Buster Rifle), Quan[T], Turn A (seems to be animated by Arios-san!), Nu Gundam, and OF COURSE the Scopedog!

All in all, it looks better than Z3.1, but definitely not better enough. This is the grand finale, it should be pulling out all the stops.
THE WORLD IS NOT SQUARE
Henyo

Re: SRW Z3: Tengoku-Hen

disappointed a bit. i thought that they'd pull another A3 and put in Ideon there. Gargantia's gonna be, plot wise, the zeorymer of Z.

still no Rinne no Lagrange! when will you get more Yuri mecha anime SRW?

another thing: they should add DLC series aside from the DLC missions.
MOOK: ITS A YURI FANBOY!
AmuroNT1

There are certain plot bits I'm unsure of. The most obvious ones are the inclusion of series with distant future sequels, like Gunbuster/Diebuster and Aquarion/Evol. But there are smaller ones, like with FMP...
Spoiler
How are they going to handle the fact that the Arbalest is destroyed very early in the next part of the story and Sosuke spends a while engaging in mecha pit-fights with an early model of the Savage? They really can't just write off the destruction since the remnants are used to make the Laevatein.
Sakuya: "Whatever. Stop lying and give up your schemes, now."
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

-Touhou 07.5 ~ Immaterial and Missing Power
Raikoh

AmuroNT1 wrote:There are certain plot bits I'm unsure of. The most obvious ones are the inclusion of series with distant future sequels, like Gunbuster/Diebuster and Aquarion/Evol.
This one's been addressed in-universe. "Space-Time Oscillation Bomb" is the catch-all solution when it comes to the distant sequels (it was shown even in Orguss to affect the time stream). Real question is why Onee-sama is back (not that I'm complaining!), since Noriko in this continuity is actually from 12,000 years in the past (which actually means Diebuster's plot lines up just fine). Aquarion could probably BS something even without playing with SRW continuity, but the major thing here is that the cast have the Stigma of the Cursed Wanderer, so bringing them back is already possible in Z. Reincarnations aren't the same thing as the same person, which is the only limitation on dimensional travel we've seen thus far. It's all rather complicated and my information is mostly secondhand but that's the gist of it.
AmuroNT1 wrote:
Spoiler
How are they going to handle the fact that the Arbalest is destroyed very early in the next part of the story and Sosuke spends a while engaging in mecha pit-fights with an early model of the Savage? They really can't just write off the destruction since the remnants are used to make the Laevatein.
That one's easy.
Spoiler
They destroy the Arbalest somewhere in an early stage (if I were to guess it'd be either in the single digits or sometime around the early teens - though it might even be in the prologue. I know the trailer showed the Arbalest, but I'm thinking that the Arbalest's presence might be like that of the S1 units from 00 and Geass in Z2.2) and have Sousuke in his Savage. Either that or they'll destroy it about halfway in and have the Savage be something you get for somewhere between half a stage (like Crowe in the Axio) or around five stages on a route split (like Heero and Duo in Leos). Pit-fights already exist in this universe, since VOTOMS' Battling has been a recurring element. In fact, one of the first scenarios in Z2 had Chirico wiping out an entire squad of grunts, and then Kallen, in Battling.
THE WORLD IS NOT SQUARE
Shinji103
Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship: Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks

Okay, so:

No Dancougar returning? Phail. :(
Return of Aquarion, expected. As was Zambot 3, Daitarn 3, Gundam X, and Turn A Gundam.
No Eureka 7 AO is a surprise (though it lost a good chunk of popularity with the last part and the ending.....)
Gargantia making the cut is a wecome surprise. :) Chamber won't be able to steal the show as much though, unless the cast spends a lot of time in the hangar.
Gunbuster 2/Diebuster.......I was iffy on the show to begin with. ^^b

New attacks and redone attack animations all around:

Wing Zero finally gets the All Attack it should have had in the first place.
FMP attack animations actually look good now. For the most part. (still some clunkiness in there)

And:

Why is Gyunei back to being an enemy? O.o
Henyo

you know, they could have put in Case: Irvine and Finders. Pagan would make a good stage boss with that monstrous AT of his.
i'd like to take this chance to ask something that's been bugging me for some time:

why did they remove the Echoing voice effect on Mazinger Z? when they used shin mazinger? and for that matter, why doesn't God Mars have it? i'd like to think this is reserved for "really traditional" Super Robot series. but Zambot 3 has it.
Raikoh

Henyo wrote:you know, they could have put in Case: Irvine and Finders. Pagan would make a good stage boss with that monstrous AT of his.
I know, the Rabidlydog already had great animations and adding in Irvine and Finder would be easy to just toss in (Finder has about three sprites they'd need to make and recolor - counting the worms; Irvine could just recolor the existing Scopedog sprite). I'd certainly make their efforts more visible (since Chirico's Scopedog is likely to just end up sticking with a player's preferred loadout) and seem less lazy. We'll have to wait for different games, I guess.
Henyo wrote:why did they remove the Echoing voice effect on Mazinger Z? when they used shin mazinger? and for that matter, why doesn't God Mars have it? i'd like to think this is reserved for "really traditional" Super Robot series. but Zambot 3 has it.
I think that while @ gave it to any traditional Super Robot (including originals and GaoGaiGar) the Z series has reserved the echo specifically for series made before the 80s (God Sigma is an exception, airing in 1980, but it might be because they needed to hire a new voice actor for Toshiya). Kind of strange, now, that the only series to use the echo in Z are the Invincible Trio.
THE WORLD IS NOT SQUARE
Henyo

Raikoh wrote: I think that while @ gave it to any traditional Super Robot (including originals and GaoGaiGar) the Z series has reserved the echo specifically for series made before the 80s (God Sigma is an exception, airing in 1980, but it might be because they needed to hire a new voice actor for Toshiya). Kind of strange, now, that the only series to use the echo in Z are the Invincible Trio.
i see. makes you wonder if they'd put in ze Echo for any Super robot(old and modern) in another main SRW game. i wonder if Namco Bandai would put it in a Bishoujo Robot Anime. Iczer series me thinks might work on it. or Magic Knight Rayearth if they EVER put it in. either way i smell laziness.
GX9900-Gundam-X

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oI_Zbk1MjxA
The second PV was released kinda big lack of Mazinger I can think of two reasons either they have a big surprise in store (Shin Kaiser maybe?) or they just have nothing new also looking like Crowe is back god I missed him and also an Aquarion suprise
When life gives you lemons YOU HIT LIFE IN THE FACE WITH A ZANKANTOU
Raikoh

They prove that they were really holding back their power level for Z3.1. Shame they didn't just release the two as one hugeass game since that would've definitely made people a lot less negative towards Z3 as a whole. These are pretty much my reactions to the PV as it happened:
Spoiler
-I'm so glad we're finally getting back the "each Getter has a different change attack"!
-Loran, what happened to your face? I like it.
-ION CANNON! WAIT THAT'S THE BANDOK, ARE WE GETTING ZAMBOT PLOT AGAIN?!
-Chamber's choreography is so boring. Which kinda reflects the original show really.
-SALARYMEN IN TRUCKS!
-PALA! And her eyes are still strangely hypnotic... [note: it has been confirmed she's attack only]
-D-D-DO... DOUBLE BUSTER... COLLIDER!!! ...Couldn't that be an ALL attack? Whatever.
-Full Metal Panic animations still blow... At least they're hiding them behind cutins.
-Nono's Inazuma Kick... That's the same one she used in ep. 1, wasn't it?
-CLUSTERF**K UNICORN MISSILES MORE MISSILES ALL THE MISSILES
-The hell is with the Eva's proportions?
-Genion is different. Genion KAI? OH CRAP MORE KUNG FU HORY SHIIIIIIIIIII
-Haha pre-upgrade Nono and Rei's animations suck. Better to not waste budget I suppose.
-HARUTE!!! ARIOS-SAN YOU'RE BACK!
-Falke got worse. Apparently didn't need those in-between frames? What, did Trigger animate it?
-Lelouch go back to doing goofy poses.
-Why didn't you put Arios-san on the playable FMP units again?
-They put Leonard and Riddhe right next to each other. That had to have been intentional.
-WAIT TETSUJIN WHAT WAS THAT?
-HA HA NEO ZEONG OH GOD THIS IS GOING TO BE RIDICULOUS
-CROWE
-Ugh Mikono. Also Cayenne what r u doing there you aren't even a major character. I never used EVOL in the first place since Spada and Gepard were better at basically everything sans endgame boss killing (lul EVOL's finisher is weaker than Spada's until like 90% of the way through 3.1), so nbd I guess.
-SHUROUGA WENT FULL OBARI AND OVERFLOWING WITH EDGE
-Seriously FMP animator. WHAT THE ACTUAL HELL
-GETTER SHIIIIIIIIIIIIINE
-LAL'C DROPS A PLANET. Probably ammo based at 1? Let's see them resupply THAT.
-We learned about Setsuko and Rand a few days ago but good to see that the Virgola Glory S looks really good. Gunleon? Well... Maybe it's just that animation that's wonky. At least it has a cool cutin.
-BGM version when
THE WORLD IS NOT SQUARE
Lord Dearche

They weren't holding back anything. It's just the case that Z3.1 took a lot of time and money, and they couldn't afford both of those to have their top animators doing every little thing in the game. It's why many animations sucked ass in Z3. "Arios-Kun" can only do so much on his own.

Also Fool me seven times, shame on you. Fool me eight or more times, shame on me. aka, I'm not falling for B.B. Studios **** again where they fill the PV with the better animations, then everything they don't show is just craptacular low quality animations. Many of the BGMs already sound meh. I don't care if it's "Tradition", most opening/mainthemes are horrible battle BGMs.

BGM ver.
http://www.nicozon.net/watch/sm25697948
Raikoh

We'll just have to wait and see if all the animations keep up the pace, but from what we've seen there are a lot of awesome stuff from units like Getter and Gunbuster. Strangely, the Turn A hasn't shown anything really impressive outside of very fluid animation quality (Arios-san). And the FMP units still have some serious issues.

I'm the opposite when it comes to BGM, I really hate when they just give us a battle BGM from the show instead of the OP, ESPECIALLY in a game like Z3 where it has custom BGM so if you wanted "Fighting M9" so bad you could just use the version from the OST but if you wanted an instrumental version of "Tomorrow" then you have to search online.

So the BGM version of the trailer is kind of lackluster, especially when approx. 98% of the BGMs are recycled from older games... Diebuster needs to get Groovin' Magic (and hopefully it will). Hey, at least Eva has a decent BGM this time around instead of the same friggin' bland music it gets in every game (which I am still likely to replace).
THE WORLD IS NOT SQUARE
Henyo

now that i've watched the Getter OVAs i have a new found appreciation for the Units. better get to watching Shin Mazinger then.
is it a personal thing? i mean the Arm Slaves animations? my only beef with them is that they don't make enough sounds when dodging.(screw that, many of the units have this issue in Z3.1)
i liked that touch back in Alpha 3.
Raikoh

I'd say all the animations are up to personal preference, but general opinion is that the Arm Slaves just have overall bland choreography and their movements are incredibly choppy (exception being on the enemy units, which are animated by Arios-san). They had better animation way back in SRW W, and that was on DS. They're also animated by the same guy who did work on Aquarion and VOTOMS, which has led to the joke that the guy can't animate anything that needs to use its legs.

I'd have thought something everyone would have been really excited to finally see animated (Laevateinn) would get more complex animations, and the Falke attack we were shown in the PV actually LOST in-between frames in the jump from Jigoku to Tengoku.
THE WORLD IS NOT SQUARE
Henyo

Raikoh wrote:I'd say all the animations are up to personal preference, but general opinion is that the Arm Slaves just have overall bland choreography and their movements are incredibly choppy (exception being on the enemy units, which are animated by Arios-san). They had better animation way back in SRW W, and that was on DS. They're also animated by the same guy who did work on Aquarion and VOTOMS, which has led to the joke that the guy can't animate anything that needs to use its legs.

I'd have thought something everyone would have been really excited to finally see animated (Laevateinn) would get more complex animations, and the Falke attack we were shown in the PV actually LOST in-between frames in the jump from Jigoku to Tengoku.
either my eyes got worse or i'm just not used to noticing the differences in frames of non Fighting game sprites. oh well. 8)
the comments in youtube are kinda hilarious. some didn't know that Sousuke gains a 2nd Arms Slave.

watching God Mars right now so i'm excited to see attacks from Z.2 return here in Z.3.
Lord Dearche

Started Z3-1 a few weeks ago. So far, it's pretty boring compared to previous entries gameplay wise.

Z1, Z2, Z2-2, I played the hell out of them and cleared the first run by the 2nd or 3rd day, and 100%'d the scenario charts by a week later. And 100%/Got the PLatinum for OG3 in like a week with 4 runs.

Z-3, it's been like 3 weeks and I'm barely at like 22. The writing is far better then the previous ones, but It's just so boring and sluggish compared to the past games partly due to the stupid Team/Party system.
Shinji103
Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship: Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks

Z1, 2, 2.2, and OG 2nd beaten in just a few days? Are you even reading the intermissions texts? Whenever I play an SRW, after I get past the shorter beginning stages I usually only get 2 or 3 stages done per day. :shock:
Mu La Flaga

So in an interesting bit of news I found in my e-mail I got this today from play-asia.

Dear

It is a good news regarding your order Dai-3-Ji Super Robot Taisen Z
Tengoku-hen (PlayStation 3 (PS3), Japan, No Region Protection)

We are pleased to announce that there is a price drop for the game. So we
are giving our valuable shoppers the privilege to get this amazing game at
a lower price! We have set the price in your order to $68.99. You may log
in and check your order details.

So that was surprising to find.
Lord Dearche

The price wen't down...a dollar.

Oh well, I probably won't be getting Z3-2 till it gets the Super Besto Price-o treatmento.

Sadly trying to get the stupid Hellzone Grenade (Which I finally ****ing got just now) has oddly been more entertaining to me then finish Z3-1.
Henyo

so, while i was browing my FB account, i read a post that says "SRW Z Tengoku hen will get english patch."
was busy with my download so i didn't get to look at it a second time. is this true?

on another note: am i the only one amused that the game will be released on Good friday? 8)