The Official Gundam Reconguista Anime Thread Mk II

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
anonena

Re: The Official Gundam Reconguista Anime Thread Mk II

Soma Taozi wrote:And speaking of her character, I was taking a look at her information on the Gundam Wiki and I saw something interesting under her information: "She is Luin's girlfriend and like Noredo, she's a student at Saint Flower Academy."

Yes I know the Gundam wiki is FAR from credible, but is this information accurate? Because if so...that adds a TON of questions about her and Luin. Although it does explain her attachment to the masked man/food. Can anyone share some light on this?
1. Yes, she is Luin girlfriend. It was mention in Episode 1 and so on
2. She knows Luin = Mask, but want to keep his persona and support his Kuntala pride agenda
3. That why she wanna pilot mobile suit to win Luin over "that girl (ano onna / Banana)"
gunform1010

Who exactly does Colonel Cumpa want out of the picture?
"Gunpla is freedom!" -Meijin Kawaguchi III

Love Live/Gundam Build Fighters semi-crossover/spin-off in works
anonena

oh and the Gaeon's pilot is...
Spoiler
Mask
Quiddity

So I decided to sit down and marathon this show and... it's pretty much a joke. There are so many issues with this show it's hard to tell where to begin:

Unless I'm missing something, I don't get the "omg this show is amazing!!!111" commentary that people seem to be giving it. I know Tomino is doing a lot himself, but since I haven't seen a lot of his other shows like Ideon, Gainer and Brain Powered, am I just missing something and this is just... the way he does stuff? 0_o;
I've similarly marathoned much of it lately after falling quite far behind, and just have episode 14 left before catching up (which I'll do this weekend). I'd recommend checking out Overman King Gainer and Turn A Gundam as the past Tomino shows that are most similar to this.

I find the show amazing in certain aspects while quite frustrating in others. On the frustrating end, I find the pace quite poor. Things were moving slow for several episodes in a row, then are very, very rushed in episode 13 as the 'Moon Race' shows up, most of the characters and factions who have been at odds team up and the white flag battle is pretty much over before it starts. From the other end though I'd say that was almost certainly my favorite episode of the series thus far since things finally seemed to be moving a long and a lot of characters got to meet up with each other. Design-wise, this is probably the most beautiful anime I have ever seen. Everything design-wise, from the characters, the mecha, the backgrounds, etc... is amazing. Some great word building as well. For example I love the whole Kuntala thing, as well as the Capital Tower. I both enjoy and am frustrated by Raraiya. A very unique and funny character, but if they never explain what is truly going on with her or make her normal, I won't like all the time spent on her. My big fear is whether Tomino will be able to properly resolve this show in a satisfying fashion, given that we're already at the halfway point of the show and from what I've heard we won't be getting a second season. I do not want to see them pull an Overman King Gainer and give us a non-ending.

Can't wait to see a new opening theme for episode 14; I love the music but am quite annoyed by them only using clips from the show for it. In a show where the design and animation is the show's greatest strength, not having a real opening is quite frustrating.
MAHQ Staff - Dunbine, L-Gaim, Escaflowne, Ideon, Gasaraki, The Big O, Overman King Gainer, Zambot 3 and FLCL
In my search for justice, I created war. In my search for war, I created death. In my search for death... I have lost my soul.
latenlazy

Quiddity wrote:

So I decided to sit down and marathon this show and... it's pretty much a joke. There are so many issues with this show it's hard to tell where to begin:

Unless I'm missing something, I don't get the "omg this show is amazing!!!111" commentary that people seem to be giving it. I know Tomino is doing a lot himself, but since I haven't seen a lot of his other shows like Ideon, Gainer and Brain Powered, am I just missing something and this is just... the way he does stuff? 0_o;
I've similarly marathoned much of it lately after falling quite far behind, and just have episode 14 left before catching up (which I'll do this weekend). I'd recommend checking out Overman King Gainer and Turn A Gundam as the past Tomino shows that are most similar to this.

I find the show amazing in certain aspects while quite frustrating in others. On the frustrating end, I find the pace quite poor. Things were moving slow for several episodes in a row, then are very, very rushed in episode 13 as the 'Moon Race' shows up, most of the characters and factions who have been at odds team up and the white flag battle is pretty much over before it starts. From the other end though I'd say that was almost certainly my favorite episode of the series thus far since things finally seemed to be moving a long and a lot of characters got to meet up with each other. Design-wise, this is probably the most beautiful anime I have ever seen. Everything design-wise, from the characters, the mecha, the backgrounds, etc... is amazing. Some great word building as well. For example I love the whole Kuntala thing, as well as the Capital Tower. I both enjoy and am frustrated by Raraiya. A very unique and funny character, but if they never explain what is truly going on with her or make her normal, I won't like all the time spent on her. My big fear is whether Tomino will be able to properly resolve this show in a satisfying fashion, given that we're already at the halfway point of the show and from what I've heard we won't be getting a second season. I do not want to see them pull an Overman King Gainer and give us a non-ending.

Can't wait to see a new opening theme for episode 14; I love the music but am quite annoyed by them only using clips from the show for it. In a show where the design and animation is the show's greatest strength, not having a real opening is quite frustrating.
Given how episode 14 went, I suspect we're hitting that point in a Tomino series where the pace starts to pick up.

The new OP is severely disappointing...
Mythgarr

I keep on watching G-Reco mostly because Bellry and Mask is an interesting protagonist-antagonist and the mecha designs are refreshing. Who would thought something like G-Aeon and G-Lucifer are being made into kits? And that stupid-but-good looking Mack Knife? It's hilarously entertaining.
Visit The Dreams
FieryBlitz

Okay, I may be late to the party, but allow me to be the first one to say that I am thoroughly convinced that Tomino has developed a Split Personality Disorder. One personality is the Kill 'Em All Tomino we know and love(?), and the other is LOLTOMINO of King Gainer fame. And now these two are in a constant argument of what to do net in the show.

LOLTOMINO: "Okay, fine, we'll kill Dellensen. But, there will be a mounted hippo head in there!"
Mythgarr

Nah, Tomino's just being a senior citizen and all. Gundam is his legacy, whatever he does with it, we can only approve
Visit The Dreams
BrentD15

FieryBlitz wrote:Okay, I may be late to the party, but allow me to be the first one to say that I am thoroughly convinced that Tomino has developed a Split Personality Disorder. One personality is the Kill 'Em All Tomino we know and love(?), and the other is LOLTOMINO of King Gainer fame. And now these two are in a constant argument of what to do net in the show.

LOLTOMINO: "Okay, fine, we'll kill Dellensen. But, there will be a mounted hippo head in there!"
The Kill 'em All was from his bouts of depression. And even then, there was a silver lining to them.
Ideon gave us the hope of rebirth, Zeta Gundam gave us ZZ (yeah, I know, it wasn't that good, but it still counts), Victory gave us Uso gets the girl, etc.

Thankfully, he got over that depression. :)
"To you who will watch, I offer a heart filled with gratitude." -Yoshiyuki Tomino, Gundam Reconguista in G, Episode 25
Quiddity

One could argue Tomino has had that "split personality" throughout much of his career, his kill em all always had a more light hearted show immediately following them. And even his light hearted shows tend to have those types of tragic deaths like a Dellensen or Cahill in them aside from King Gainer.

I think Victory was the only one he was said to actually have a depression, much of the time he killed everyone to avoid a sequel and enable him to move on to something else.
MAHQ Staff - Dunbine, L-Gaim, Escaflowne, Ideon, Gasaraki, The Big O, Overman King Gainer, Zambot 3 and FLCL
In my search for justice, I created war. In my search for war, I created death. In my search for death... I have lost my soul.
gunform1010

Quiddity wrote:One could argue Tomino has had that "split personality" throughout much of his career, his kill em all always had a more light hearted show immediately following them. And even his light hearted shows tend to have those types of tragic deaths like a Dellensen or Cahill in them aside from King Gainer.

I think Victory was the only one he was said to actually have a depression, much of the time he killed everyone to avoid a sequel and enable him to move on to something else.
...wait if Victory was truly where he had a depression what the hell was going on with Ideon?

Quiddity

Lots of death doesn't automatically mean he was depressed, especially when it fits the story, which was the case in Ideon. For example, his original "kill em all" ending, Zambot 3 was intended as a World War II metaphor and had nothing to do with his mental state. If depression was such a factor in Ideon's apocalyptic ending, you'd think he wouldn't be making the very goofy Xabungle at the same time.
balofo

Next ep summaries: IT'S HAPPENING!
Spoiler
Episode 16: "Bellri's War"
After visiting the mysterious girl Raraiya's hometown and learning the secret of he birth, Bellri hears of the arrival of Mask's Space Battleship S-Galanden and takes off in the G-Self, but is attacked by an MS Squadron lead by Kavan of the Towasanga Garrison.

Episode 17: "Aida's Decision"
Towasanga's outer wall breaks and the Megafauna assists in collecting the Space Debris. Taking advantage of the opportunity, Aida proposes they escape from Towasanga using a Dummy Asteroid as cover. At the same time, the Mask Squadron sorties to test the MS "Bifron".

Episode 18: "Ride on the New Moon"
In order to take back the G-Self, Mask boards the Megafauna. From Towasanga come new Mobile Suits, also after the G-Self. While Bellri acts as a decoy, the Megafauna tries to take refuge with a transport ship carrying photon batteries.

Episode 19: "The Venus Globe Group"
Bellri and the others travel aboard the transport ship to "Venus Globe", a Space Colony built in the vicinity of Venus, and are busy having to run marathons and inspect and service the mecha. Meanwhile, a group who call themselves the "Jit Group" appear, saying that they have come to meet Bellri and the others.
gunform1010

Spoiler
Bell and Aida confirmed siblings from episode preview. The Dorettes and Rayhuntons are feuding over Photon Battery distribution... interesting. Also Klim the ever-lovable genius :roll: gets captured by some Towasanga peeps. The G-Self is a prototype reject called the YG that got jacked by the Resistance or something like that.

latenlazy

I feel like this is one of those episodes that rewards my faith in Tomino.
Deathzealot

Agreed. Since I had the thought that Townsanga was a Moon Colony before this but instead it is a Colony Cluster that is in the darkside of the moon. So not Moon Race but maybe a new Zeon perhaps.
excalibur2008

Deathzealot wrote:Agreed. Since I had the thought that Townsanga was a Moon Colony before this but instead it is a Colony Cluster that is in the darkside of the moon. So not Moon Race but maybe a new Zeon perhaps.
So basically all those guys saying how if Zeon ran the show everything would be better are completely wrong.
Amion

Well, they're not necessarily Zeon. In fact, considering the uniforms and mobile suit designs (particularly as of this week) it's more right to call the towasangans Zanscare. And I think we all know they were never the most reasonable of space empires.

The artwork for this episode was astoundingly good and colorful. They really are putting effort into the scenery.
They don't know the power of a balanced vision.
Kyuzo Aoi

Agreed with Amion. When I looked at the uniforms of Towasanga, as well as their MS, they reminded me of Zanscare, and sense they must be descended from Zanscare remnants.
I am a Gundam!
Wingzero00

Are you sure they're not descendants from moon-moon? LOL