The Official Gundam: The Origin Manga Thread

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
abaoaqu

Re: The Official Gundam: The Origin Manga Thread

Got Vol. 8 for Christmas.
Spoiler
M'Quve goes out in such an epic manner.
Сиг Зион!
nickh46

Spoiler
RIP Don Mitch, we hardly knew ye :P
And what about the
Spoiler
Double Jet Stream Attack!
laj12387

Random Question: Why does Sayla have a tail on the cover of volume VII?
nickh46

laj12387 wrote:Random Question: Why does Sayla have a tail on the cover of volume VII?
Spoiler
Those are flexicuffs. She was captured by Zeon near the end of the series.
Erisie

Yas' biography and his influence in his work

The English Wikipedia article on Yasuhiko says that he was a student at the University of Hirosaki (Aomori Prefecture in northern Honshu, just across the strait from Hokkaido: Yas' birthplace) only to drop out in 1969 to pursue a career in Mushi Productions, Osamu Tesuka's animation studio.

The Japanese Wikipedia article, however (sourced from a series of articles published in the Hokkaido Shinbun) tell a different story. Apparently, Yas became involved with the student protest movement in those days and was arrested under suspicion after students occupied the university. After being released on bail, he was expelled from Hirosaki University and started working as a typesetter in Tokyo for a little while before entering Mushi. From the way it's worded, it's likely that Yas himself wasn't an active part of the movement and only got arrested when the police stormed Hirosaki's campus.

It would be interesting to consider how these experiences could've shaped Yas' creative output. A continous theme in THE ORIGIN's prequel arc is that of popular ourbursts from every direction.
Spoiler
One of the extra chapters, chronicling Casval's birth day, is set after a student protest in Munzo that's "pacified" by the Federation authorities, who attempt to strong-arm the college's dean (Degwin Zabi) to deliver them one of his academics: Zeon Zum Deikun
Another interesting thing to mention is Yas' area of study: Western History. His interest is obviously reflected not only in THE ORIGIN (which shows a care for both geography and world history unlike anything the Gundam franchise has ever done) but his other works as well. He's made manga of the lifes of Leon Trotsky, Joan d'Arc, Alexander The Great and Jesus of Nazareth.
Last edited by Erisie on Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ziryab

Wow, thank you Erisie for that knowledge drop.

To me the social tension, unrest, and conflict throughout The Origin has felt very visceral in both its writing and art. I can't help but be left curious about the personal history of the manga's staff.

And as for Yas' mangas on historical figures, any idea if some of them have been [fan]translated into English?
Hmm. Luke, this Gundam reminds me of a puzzle.

Steam ID: MediumPunch
3DS FC: 0189 9106 6003
Erisie

Ziryab wrote:And as for Yas' mangas on historical figures, any idea if some of them have been [fan]translated into English?
I've seen translations for bits and pieces of Alexandros, Joan, Nero and Jesus (alongside with more science-fiction fare like Arion and Dirty Pair)
Deacon Blues

Kodansha is releasing a book called 「機動戦士ガンダムTHE ORIGIN」の英語 on the 12th of this month. It's a 159 page booklet that has English translation of many famous phrases from the manga series. The English analysis comes from Masao Seki and judging from the quotes on Twitter with English text in the bubbles, he's citing from Vertical's translation.

For example,

「キシリア殿に笑われようが私にも意地というものがあるのでな」

Vertical: Lady Kycilia might laugh, but I nurse my share of grudges.
Subs: Lady Kycilia would laugh, but I too have my pride.

The kicker is a comment he makes about the book. I can't tell what 超本格派 means in this context. I'm not sure if he's saying "super authentic style" or "ultra-purist", but he says that it used a "Western Version". I'm also not sure if he means a mix of European and American English or what. He goes on to say:

"Of course, while there are simple expressions in it, it's also considerably difficult too. For example, Char's line of "watashi ni mo iji to iu mono ga aru no de na would be, I nurse my share of grudges. I'm sure this will be a struggle for many people with their English teachers."

With that, I can't tell if he agrees or disagrees with the translators line in the American release. He may be saying that it'd be a problem because it uses an idiom, which as we know can be difficult in both English and Japanese. I may end up buying the book just to see what is said. I know my translations are far from perfect and never will be, but the localization of the Origin is strange at times. This line is an example that I can't seem to wrap my brain around on how they equated nursing grudges with dealing with pride. *shrugs*

At least we know the book that came out a while back based on English from the television show seems a lot more true to the original.