Ep. 076: Guardians of the Galaxy

MAHQ's general podcast for nerdy things, which ran from 2011-2017.
Chris
Administrator

Ep. 076: Guardians of the Galaxy

Chaos Theater Ep. 076 - "Guardians of the Galaxy"
- Download Now: 64 kbps - 109 mins, 9 sec. (1:49:09) 49.97 MB

Special Guest Host: Magen Cubed (opening and Guardians)

Segment Breakdown for this Episode:

01. Intro: "What We've Been Up To"
Runtime: 0:00:01 - 0:36:44

02. Discussion: "Guardians of the Galaxy"
Runtime: 0:37:23 - 1:45:23

03. Outro: "Audible recommendations", and "Internet whoring"
Runtime: 1:46:03 - 1:48:53

Chaos Theater heads into SPAAAAACCEEE in this latest episode. Magen Cubed joins us to discuss Guardians of the Galaxy, the latest movie from Marvel Studios and director James Gunn. We also discuss some of the latest news to come out of the MCU. There's no Mailbag this time, but it'll be back soon. Next time, we're looking for adventure as we talk about the Indiana Jones movies.

Music Featured in this Episode:
"Boing Zoom DAKOTA!" from Rock Candy 1 by Shadow
"Wish" from Nana by OLIVIA inspi’ REIRA (TRAPNEST)
"Starless Night" from Nana by OLIVIA inspi’ REIRA (TRAPNEST)

Sponsors & Special Offers:
Audible

Google Voice: 305-792-8324
Email: [email protected]

Websites:
MAHQ.net - Gundamn.net - Chaos Theater -Chaos Theater Mecha Talk Forum - Gundamn! @ Mecha Talk Forum - MAHQ.net @ Twitter - Chaos Theater @ Twitter - Gundamn! @ Twitter - Main RSS Feed -
Chaos Theater YouTube - iTunes
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
phillosmaster

Re: Ep. 076: Guardians of the Galaxy

The previous Guardians Of The Galaxy Run from 2008, which took place post the Annihilation event is one of my favorite comic book runs. That is the basis of this movie. It was written by Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning and they really took this group of throw away characters and turned them into gold in my opinion. I wish they were still writing the book because this new run by Bendis is so boring and wooden.

In any event I was a fan of the book and I was so worried about this movie. I went to see it opening weekend by myself because I was too scared to show it to someone else and have to justify the movie if it sucked. Now I feel ashamed because the movie was awesome. I should have more faith in Marvel Studios I guess. They still haven't failed.

Your gripes are all valid. Gamora is a great character in the comic and I feel like they didn't know how to use her here at all. It's a real shame. They nailed the Abnett and Lanning take on Rocket and Groot. That was pretty much their take on the characters on the screen so that was a joy to see.

I also agree that it's a real missed opportunity that they haven't made a Ms Marvel, Captain Marvel or She Hulk movie yet. Kamala especially. Her book is just on fire. Magen is right. They are some of the best runs going in marvel currently. The Thor run was also really good, but it's coming to an end and they are launching into that female Thor book. That a good and bad thing. Bad because a great run is coming to an end. Good because now it will all be in trades for trade buyers.

P.S. Magen don't be too cool for school. Rocket is awesome in the comics. His new solo series released to coincide with the movie is great, and it has art and story by Scottie Young (a favorite of mine).
Even as we speak, the stealth bombers of the Brotherhood of Dada are swooping silently overhead. They’re using stealth bombs which level whole cities without even the slightest trace of noise or damage. Nothing remains of the world you knew and still you stand in the ruins, acting as if nothing has changed.
Wingnut

Seeing tomorrow/later today. Downloading, but waiting to listen to just yet.
The Gundam wiki

"Reality makes a crappy special effects crew." - Adam Savage

R.I.P., SDGO.
phillosmaster

I forgot. There was some questions about race. Yondu is a Centauri not a Kree so he's a different alien race altogether. Though Gunn is really only taking the name and character appearance. Yondu was completely rewritten to fit Rooker's pirate character. Yondu was one of the original Guardians before this team ever formed (though confusingly they are a team from the future). I like this version of Yondu although it is extremely different.

Yes there are blue and pink Kree. The blue Kree are the originals and tend to be the more privileged class. There are definite racial tensions in the Kree empire. On Xandar there were tons of different races so that can be confusing. The Xandarian Nova Corp is a multiracial organization though it was started by the Xandarians on their homeworld.

All of this was not explained at all in the movie, but I'm sure they didn't want it to get too exposition-y.
Even as we speak, the stealth bombers of the Brotherhood of Dada are swooping silently overhead. They’re using stealth bombs which level whole cities without even the slightest trace of noise or damage. Nothing remains of the world you knew and still you stand in the ruins, acting as if nothing has changed.
jcncasval76

I'm surprised that you haven't talked about the "throwaway" comedic skid in the post-credit scene with the Collector and Howard the Duck.
Please don't make me quoting certain wrestlers' catchphrases (What?!) or you don't want to find out how nasty it gets (What?!). Tell me you didn't just say that (What?!)
phillosmaster

I liked it, but I thought it was odd. Does that mean they will make a Howard movie now? It doesn't sound like it from interviews. Also I'm not sure how to feel about it considering the history of litigation between Steve Gerber and Marvel over the character.

I kind of wished Cosmo would have talked (psychically) as the stinger at the end. I love Cosmo.
kayone73

It also wasn't mentioned that the gem in Loki's scepter, now in the possession of Baron von Strucker at the end of Cap 2, is likely the Soul gem, accounting for 4 of the 6 infinity stones
Chris
Administrator

kayone73 wrote:It also wasn't mentioned that the gem in Loki's scepter, now in the possession of Baron von Strucker at the end of Cap 2, is likely the Soul gem, accounting for 4 of the 6 infinity stones
Marvel has never confirmed that the gem in Loki's scepter is an infinity stone, so it's officially only at three.
Co-founder/editor-in-chief, MAHQ
Pronouns: he/him/his
phillosmaster

They've also been inconsistent in their responses (like on twitter) about which stone is what. I think everytime a stone is confirmed someone on the staff will say it is the power stone. They said this stone was power for GOTG. I was almost positive it was the soul gem. I give up trying to track this stuff. The colors don't line up anyway so I think they are playing fast and loose with the stone's properties. I'm just gonna wait until someone like The Collector tells me on screen.
jcncasval76

phillosmaster wrote:I liked it, but I thought it was odd. Does that mean they will make a Howard movie now? It doesn't sound like it from interviews. Also I'm not sure how to feel about it considering the history of litigation between Steve Gerber and Marvel over the character.

I kind of wished Cosmo would have talked (psychically) as the stinger at the end. I love Cosmo.
from my recent reading, sadly, Howard movie isn't going to happen as it was just a comedic scene at the end. but at the same time, it begs to wonder that if there's a connection between that scene and the original Howard movie, because if I remember correctly, Howard ended up stuck on Earth working with his girlfriend. Did Howard get collected by The Collector between that movie and Guardians of the Galaxy some time ago off screen?
Please don't make me quoting certain wrestlers' catchphrases (What?!) or you don't want to find out how nasty it gets (What?!). Tell me you didn't just say that (What?!)
kayone73

Chris wrote:
kayone73 wrote:It also wasn't mentioned that the gem in Loki's scepter, now in the possession of Baron von Strucker at the end of Cap 2, is likely the Soul gem, accounting for 4 of the 6 infinity stones
Marvel has never confirmed that the gem in Loki's scepter is an infinity stone, so it's officially only at three.
I have a feeling Marvel will address this directly in Avengers 2