The Official Gundam Build Fighters Try Anime Thread Mk I

The place to discuss anything relating to anime or manga.
Kuruni

Re: The Official Gundam Build Fighters Try Anime Thread Mk I

Note, thing got worse for Fumina once the Mantis goes "Psycho Mantis", by put the club's fate on what suppose to be "friendly match". Even IRL, people can mess up easily under stress, especially when it come so sudden.

It isn't really about skill. Crossing small stream on a plank of wood is easy, crossing cliff of same length with same plank of wood is unnerving. If you think you're crossing small steam, then it turn out midway to be actually a bottomless abyss to nowhere, you may faint instantly.
Last edited by Kuruni on Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
My girlfriend was a loli.
Dark Duel

Am I seriously going to be the first one to mention this? I cannot possibly be the only one who, when
Spoiler
the Dom's frame started to crack, eventually revealing the Build Burning Gundam hidden within, immediately thought of the reveal that Master Gundam was hidden within/camouflaged as Kowloon Gundam in G Gundam
Only this time, it was even more epically awesome.
Overall, an EXCELLENT first episode to this series. It was, for me, especially cool to see...
Spoiler
That complete tool with the glasses whose name I can't even be bothered to remember - the Plamo Club President? - get his Enact LOLpwned by a Dom - with a Blade Catch so utterly epic, it literally shattered his Enact's rifle
Of course, I am biased, as I utterly hate and despise that particular variant of the Enact. And I never liked the Enact much to begin with.

Anyway, other than that, pretty much anything I was going to say has already been said. Though I LOL'd when I first heard Mirai actually speak. I confess, I have been paying no heed whatsoever to the actual voice cast for this series, so when I heard Sheryl Nome's voice, I LOL'd.
Then I remembered that the same individual voiced poor Kinue Crossroad.
// ART THREAD // NOT ACCEPTING REQUESTS

"You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home."
Arbiter GUNDAM

Huh, that IS Aya Endo. I completely missed that the first time around.
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
Raikoh

Kuruni wrote:Note, thing got worse for Fumina once the Mantis goes "Psycho Mantis", by put the club's fate on what suppose to be "friendly match". Even IRL, people can mess up easily under stress, especially when it come so sudden.
I actually thought Fumina's composure under that kind of sudden pressure was impressive. She didn't freeze up, or make any futile actions like covering her head or screaming for help or trying to run away, just straight for the gatling.
THE WORLD IS NOT SQUARE
gunform1010

Spoiler
I'm still not buying the entire "Build Burning was under the frame". Who exactly built it under the Dom anyway and why?
"Gunpla is freedom!" -Meijin Kawaguchi III

Love Live/Gundam Build Fighters semi-crossover/spin-off in works
Kuruni

Raikoh wrote:
Kuruni wrote:Note, thing got worse for Fumina once the Mantis goes "Psycho Mantis", by put the club's fate on what suppose to be "friendly match". Even IRL, people can mess up easily under stress, especially when it come so sudden.
I actually thought Fumina's composure under that kind of sudden pressure was impressive. She didn't freeze up, or make any futile actions like covering her head or screaming for help or trying to run away, just straight for the gatling.
Yes, she mess up in the same way actual person may mess up in same situation.
gunform1010 wrote:
Spoiler
I'm still not buying the entire "Build Burning was under the frame". Who exactly built it under the Dom anyway and why?
It's first episode, they're too busy set up new cast and drop info for newcomers, can't you wait abit?
My girlfriend was a loli.
gunform1010

Kuruni wrote:
gunform1010 wrote:
Spoiler
It's first episode, they're too busy set up new cast and drop info for newcomers, can't you wait abit?
Speaking of cast, how many episodes do you think Ral's VA got to record before he fell ill?
"Gunpla is freedom!" -Meijin Kawaguchi III

Love Live/Gundam Build Fighters semi-crossover/spin-off in works
iguanaman8989

Just a small comment: The pres saying he doesn't battle isn't the same as saying he can't. Which was pretty much his point. The catch-all plastic modelling club would do it better than the specialized Gunpla Battle club. Kinda seems redundant, though they'll most certainly show us why it isn't in a few episodes.

Other than that, wonderful episode. Had a feeling there was more to the Dom than meets the eye, especially considering where he found the kit.
Arbiter GUNDAM

gunform1010 wrote:
Spoiler
Spoiler
I'm sure it was Sei, given that it's in his and Reiji's trophy.
I can fly if I ride the wind! Gori gori!

--Freyja Wion
Mythgarr

Oh come on people, you managed to nitpick a little part of the plot and blow it up out of proportion like cancer derailing everybody's fun! This is GBF Try, suppose to be fun and our getaway drug from the would-be-heavy story of G-Reco!

My suggestion: Go get your critical thinking hat to G-Reco's thread.
Visit The Dreams
YokozunaBulldozer

G-Reco is a full course meal where we get a new meal every week.
This is more like boxes of all flavors of Nerds.
SIXSHOT HAS NO GAME AGAINST SEVEN CHANGER
Shinji103
Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship: Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks

Strike Zero wrote:and deciding that Try is doomed to fall into this pattern based on the events of one episode
When the heck did I ever say this? ^^b (though I did say it's not a good sign, and the first season doesn't help much)
and the fact that Fumina will use an SD Gundam which has no bearing on anything whatsoever.
Considering the fact that I'm not even the first one to point this out, let alone the only one....... ^^b (I'm not talking about these forums, it's been pointed out how the female member of the team is the only one with an SD again on several other forums)
You keep hammering on this point, that Mantis Man is against Gunpla battling, which means that he must to be poor at it. Nowhere did the show hint at any such correlation, nor does there have to be one. As such, it's merely an assumption, and not conclusively relevant.
Because it's a complete contradiction (seriously, if he's so against Gunpla battling, why would he play it and be good at it?), and one made just to force Sekai and Fumina into this situation.
And how is it not relevant? ^^b This contradiction is why Fumina ends up a Damsel in Distress.
Your last point boils down to, "the episode should have been written differently." I suppose I can't argue with that. I would have liked to see Fumina put up a bit more of a fight as well. But I'm not so pessimistic to take this as a sign that she'll never do anything awesome for the rest of the show and that I won't enjoy her character.
My last point really boils down to "they could have written this half a dozen ways other than Fumina being Damsel in Distress-ed."
I'll admit I'm pessimistic, but I have good reason to be. Heck, there's an example on these very forums. Way back in the beginning of Gundam 00 season 2, people were calling out Louise as a psycho pilot ready for a breakdown. I disagreed, saying that she could be a competent female pilot without being a pycho.
Anybody who's watched Gundam 00 S2 knows that I ate my words. -_-

Since Haman Kahn, how many strong female pilots have there been who weren't either psychotic or weren't demoted in some way? *looks at Soma* This may not be regular Gundam, but this problem isn't even limited to Gundam. As you said, it's something that's been going on in shounen anime for a long time. It's like it's impossible for there to be a powerful female pilot in anything unless there aren't no, or almost no, male pilots at all. *points at Cross Ange as the latest example* Why can't there be more shows like Code Geass? they've got Kallen and Cornelia.

I'm not giving up on Build Fighters Try, nor am I dooming it in any way. If it proves me wrong and Fumina turns out to get her fair share of competent piloting, I'll be the first one to cheer. (I've been hoping for more powerful female pilots for ages) But this first episode lowered my hopes.
Laevatein

YokozunaBulldozer wrote:G-Reco is a full course meal where we get a new meal every week.
This is more like boxes of all flavors of Nerds.
If G-Reco is an example of a full course meal, I'd rather have the Nerds.
AmuroNT1

The MS on the far left is actually a Strike Dagger.

Also, regarding this whole debate about Fumina getting shoved to the sidelines (after one episode...), I raise two points of contention:
1) Regarding Sekai defending her: She defended him in exactly the same way not even a minute earlier.
2) Regarding her being "forced" into an SD Gundam: There's no "forcing" involved; she MADE the Winning Gundam, she CHOSE to use it in the tournament instead of the Cardigan.

Honestly, I think people are being WAY too hyper-sensitive about these kinds of things. "Damsel in distress"? Sekai protected her from ONE ATTACK, and then only after she'd been knocked on her rump by Creepy!Urataros. Besides, the whole point of this show is teamwork - would you rather she'd gotten her GM destroyed just to preserve some phantasmal sense of equal rights? You can call her a damsel in distress when she gets kidnapped and needs to be rescued, but protecting a teammate on the battlefield is just good sense.
Sakuya: "Whatever. Stop lying and give up your schemes, now."
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

-Touhou 07.5 ~ Immaterial and Missing Power
Xenosynth

Ahh, okay. The head didn't look right to me, I kept staring at it wanting to think it wasn't a GM but at the same time the visor got me. Though it's a very blurred background one ;_; Though, actually funnily enough, the background suits are somewhat improved over the background suits of original Build Fighters.

Oh, and I somehow missed the Yuuki cameo until rewatch ~_~

As for the Hoshino thing, for me, it just bothers me because, knowing Gundam's track record with female characters in recent times, things like this make me cautious is all. That, and she ends up using an SD later, and it just makes me worried about her POTENTIALLY being written badly/not very useful. I'm not judging the series that harshly over it, I just was saying I guess if I had to pick something that bothered me, that was it. As said, I frigging loved the first episode and it's probably my new favorite GUNDAM first episode.
Zeis

I think that's a Murasame, actually.

Also, at 2:04, you can see a Zeta Plus in the bottom left corner.
YokozunaBulldozer

Kinda sad news, but according to Sunrise it seems we will get a different voice actor to cover for Hirose Masashi as Mr. Ral due to his health condition. Hoki Katsuhisa will be substituting as Mr.Ral for the time being. Hoki Katsuhisa was Gerard Garcia(the bald Eurasian Federation officer) from Gundam SEED and Bartley Asprius(the bald Britannian general) from Code Geass: R2. I hope Hirose Masashi recovers and Hoki Katsuhisa does a good job during Hirose's absence.

source: http://www.sunrise-inc.co.jp/works/news ... um=twitter
SIXSHOT HAS NO GAME AGAINST SEVEN CHANGER
AmuroNT1

Zeis wrote:
I think that's a Murasame, actually.
And if you want to get really nit-picky, that's specifically the Imperial Rig Shokew, discernable by its large shield and the metal whip on its right shoulder.

I'm saddened to hear that Hirose-san is still ill, and really hope he'll be back to 100% soon.
Sakuya: "Whatever. Stop lying and give up your schemes, now."
Yukari: (Which lies and schemes are she talking about? It's hard to keep track of them all...)

-Touhou 07.5 ~ Immaterial and Missing Power
Strike Zero

I send my best wishes to Hirose-san. We can only hope that he'll get better at this point.
Shinji103 wrote:it's been pointed out how the female member of the team is the only one with an SD again on several other forums
And this should mean what to me? Maybe I'm outside the norm, but I don't subscribe myself to the perception that SD Gundams are somehow more, what? Childish? Stupid? Worse than regular Gundams? Yes, the SD product line is targeted at younger viewers and builders. But guess what? That doesn't make it inferior, not in the slightest. SD Gundam Sangokuden: Brave Battle Warriors was a TV series that I thoroughly enjoyed, and remains one of my favorite Gundam series to this day. As such, I don't view the fact that SD Gundams are getting representation among the main cast as a detriment, but as a source of excitement.

Yes, of the main characters, the only ones to have used them up to this point were girls. So. Fucking. What. I get that the Western perception of SD Gundams may have been affected by the airing of the crap-tastic SD Gundam Force on Toonami, but people need to realize that most people in Japan don't necessarily share that same viewpoint, and actually love SD Gundams just as much as they do regular Gundams. In FACT, as far as I can tell, the China vs. Caroline fight was one of the most popular out of the entire first season -- watch the clip the fight on NicoNico douga, and you will literally see dozens of comments of people gushing over how cool the Knight Gundam is. I would bet you a million, billion dollars that if you went over there to the other side, you wouldn't find any sort sense that the girls are being "discriminated" against for being the ones to use SDs.

I'm sorry if I'm coming off as hostile over this, but I've seen people, not necessarily here, make some extremely childish and moronic comments over the fact that SDs are getting more front line representation, and it's not made me a particularly happy camper.
Shinji103 wrote:if he's so against Gunpla battling, why would he play it and be good at it?
There are any number of reasons why. Maybe he used to play it, but got tired of seeing the models he worked so hard to build getting damaged or destroyed. Maybe he forced himself to learn for the sake of his plan to corner Fumina and have the battle club dissolved.

As many people have said, though, you (and me) are making a bigger deal out of what should have been and what was most probably intended to be a pretty small deal, all things considered. At any rate, I believe I've made my thoughts of Fumina and the outcome of episode 1 clear. It's true that Gundam has hit some lows when it comes to its female pilots, but when it comes down to it, this series ain't those series. Build Fighters did such a wonderful job with its first season, that I'm able to just eagerly anticipate the coming episodes of Try without worrying about what it may or may not do wrong, which is a very nice feeling to have.

(As a side note, I've gotta say, I don't know how you managed to be so far off on Louise Halevy. For me, that stuff was super predictable from day 1. It would have come as a surprise if she didn't manage to go completely nuts.)
Thundermuffin wrote:SETSUNA: There is no Tomino in this world.
Xenosynth

Alright, added in all the corrections, thanks guys! I'm wondering, should I do a separate thread on the cameos (Since I enjoy doing them and did a ton of them for BF) to keep them all more organized by episode and such, or should I just keep posting them in here?

As for the whole Hoshino, this type of drama from BOTH sides is why I usually wanna avoid airing any grievances and just maintain neutrality. I whenever I take sides I just get yelled at and made to feel awful by people who I respect, no matter which side I take, and it makes me feel like I'm not allowed to actually have feelings on anything, or even let people know what they are unless they already agree with me (Which creates an annoying echo chamber which isn't really fun). It's really not fun so I'll just be my usual self and only talk about the positives from now on. While that still gets me in arguments sometimes at least arguing about things I like doesn't make me feel nearly as bad or like I've done something wrong by making a post. I already know I'm going to like the show so there's no point in really complaining about things anyway.